HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 4:43 PM

^ Whew, no Sportsnet takeover.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:41 PM

Bell shutdown the various TSN Sports radio channels across Canada during their larger program of cuts last year.

TSN had the TV rights for Jets game for 10 years, ending this past season. They signed a new deal in Oct 2020. But I'm not sure how long the new contract is for. It starts in the 21-22 season.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 6:44 PM

Interesting rendering of Canada Life Centre with the new wordmark painted on the roof, which has never been done before.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 8:27 PM
jammon member

[QUOTE=esquire;9332379]Interesting rendering of Canada Life Centre with the new wordmark painted on the roof, which has never been done before.

Interesting. I got season tickets today after being about position 400 on the waitlist. So, not a lot of demand for tickets I'm guessing. I was shocked I got in.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Interesting. I got season tickets today after being about position 400 on the waitlist. So, not a lot of demand for tickets I'm guessing. I was shocked I got in.
I wouldn't be surprised if older fans or those with health conditions maybe didn't feel comfortable about attending sports events in person just yet.

I bought tickets for an upcoming Valour FC game and by the looks of it there are piles of tickets left which is surprising considering attendance is capped at 2,000. I figured there would be pent up demand, but maybe people just aren't ready to go back in large numbers?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:55 PM

I'm guessing that the pandemic has had an impact on people's routine and activities, and led to a rethink for many. And in the case of the Jets, I think there has been a notable decline in interest, which hasn't been helped by the team's continued futility and seeming downward direction as far as coming close to winning anything or even getting to a conference final.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:26 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I'm guessing that the pandemic has had an impact on people's routine and activities, and led to a rethink for many. And in the case of the Jets, I think there has been a notable decline in interest, which hasn't been helped by the team's continued futility and seeming downward direction as far as coming close to winning anything or even getting to a conference final.
We had been on the waitlist for some time and I used to share with a group that didn't really go well. I ended up getting some pretty prime seats and the cost was definitely reduced. I was actually amazed when I got in to select my seats how many were available. You're right- definitely a decline in demand.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
We had been on the waitlist for some time and I used to share with a group that didn't really go well. I ended up getting some pretty prime seats and the cost was definitely reduced. I was actually amazed when I got in to select my seats how many were available. You're right- definitely a decline in demand.
I was one of the people who walked away instead of re-upping for another term. I am going to get WHL season tickets instead... the rink is a stone's throw from my house, the games are great and it's way cheaper. I will still go to some Jets games, but just to fewer of them. Tickets are much easier to come by these days so it's easier to pick and choose when you want to go.

I honestly wonder if the multi-year terms for season tickets are starting to work against TNSE. Doing it on a year by year basis is one thing, but being forced to sign up for a multi year commitment makes you stop and think about it a bit. I'm sure many people unexpectedly found themselves out of work or with reduced incomes over the last year and a half. That's enough to worry about without also having to be concerned about True North hounding you for season ticket payments.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:40 PM

Which means it must time for a comparison of the two longest serving coaches to see why they have been so coveted during their long tenure. Paul Maurice has a W-L-OTL of 302-213-57 over 8 seasons with the Jets, and has a 16-23 (.410) record in the playoffs, where his only notable progression was a loss in the Conference finals 3 seasons ago.

Jon Cooper has W-L-OTL of 384-197-53 over 9 seasons with Tampa, and has a 70-46 (.603) record in the playoffs, where he has won 2 Stanley Cups, lost one Stanley Cup final, and lost two Conference finals.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:43 PM

In fairness, Cooper had considerably more to work with right from day one. The team he inherited already had Stamkos, St. Louis, Lecavalier and Hedman. Not much of a struggle to land FAs in Tampa Bay either.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 6:53 PM

They missed the playoffs the season he took over. They got swept 4-0 in the first round in his second season. In his third season, they made it to the Cup final. It's not like the team was doing well until a few years in. He didn't inherit a Stanley Cup winner.
But if you don't like the comparison, take Cooper out of the equation and just look at Maurice's accomplishments. My point was that only two coaches have that longevity. It seems very clear why one is still around. It seems very unclear why Maurice is still around. And he will be around, there is no indication he is ever going to leave.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 7:36 PM

So the "experts" (mike McIntyre??) are saying the Jets should protect Demelo instead of Stanley. I honestly think this would be a huge mistake. Stanley really showed a lot last season and was really coming into his own during the playoffs. He's got size, toughness and some offensive upside. And he was drafted and developed by the Jets (supposedly the Jets mantra although Maurice's love for old guys has put that into question). Nothing against Demelo, he's a solid second or their pairing, but has no goals and nine assists in two seasons. And doesn't offer much on the physical side.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 1:56 PM

I feel like Winnipeg will have another one of those Chris Thorburn expansion drafts. Maybe not exactly like that.

Maybe Seattle drafts and signs FA Paul Stastny??

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I feel like Winnipeg will have another one of those Chris Thorburn expansion drafts. Maybe not exactly like that.

Maybe Seattle drafts and signs FA Paul Stastny??
We should just cut our losses on Appleton or Demelo there is no reason that we should give up our first round picks to Seattle.

Also Stastny is not staying, we need to use that money to re-sign Dubois and Pionk and leave a bit for a FA defensemen (wishful thinking but Dougie Hamilton plz). Perfetti can take Statstny’s spot anyway

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 4:16 PM

I think the Jets have to start living up to their so-called draft and develop strategy and use the defensemen they have coming up like, Heinola, Samberg and Niku. I don't care if it results in some growing pains, it's not like the team is heading exponentially in a positive direction right now. I just don't some 36 year old journeyman defensemen brought in with no upside. As far as Statsny goes, I have nothing against him but I wouldn't be concerned if he goes elsewhere.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 6:13 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I think the Jets have to start living up to their so-called draft and develop strategy and use the defensemen they have coming up like, Heinola, Samberg and Niku. I don't care if it results in some growing pains, it's not like the team is heading exponentially in a positive direction right now. I just don't some 36 year old journeyman defensemen brought in with no upside. As far as Statsny goes, I have nothing against him but I wouldn't be concerned if he goes elsewhere.
I'd like to see us sign a top six defenseman, but I agree. Chevy should just cut most of his losses from last season and not sign any of the older UFAs/RFAs and force Maurice's hand to start giving the young guys a chance. You don't sign any of the veterans and he has less options to choose from. Montreal made it work with their young guns and look at their cup run.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 10:24 PM

Exactly, Montreal is a good example. They also played a smart system and a team game. If only we had a coach who could get that done ...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 4:41 PM

I think the problem with the Jets is a fair bit higher than the coach and might even be as high up as the owner's suite.

Look at the Wild for example using buyouts on Parise and Suter to exit their 13 years contracts 4 years early.

Another example is how many teams were rushing to sign veterans like Lewis and Thompson, especially over bringing up some of the young prospects you are developing.

Personally I would have laughed my butt off when Vegas called asking us to take Stansy to help them with their salary management issue for the full cap hit. I might have offered to take him for what we had offered when they felt the need to outbid us.

The organization overall shows a high degree of loyalty to people that have been with them and that is really start to pull the organization down as sometimes in pro sports you need to accept that that young rising star you draft you had many good years with your team is now past their prime and doesn't warrant an $8.25 million cap hit on your team for the next three seasons.

The other thing is just because someone has coached a lot of NHL games does not necessarily mean they are a good coach. You need to look more at stats like win percentage season over season instead of "total games coached" or "total games won".

Ultimately, the roster and front office personal issues with the Jets land squarely in Chevy's office, not Maurice's. And there is definitely a case that it goes as high as Chipman's office as he ultimately makes the call to fire or hire a GM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think the problem with the Jets is a fair bit higher than the coach and might even be as high up as the owner's suite.

Look at the Wild for example using buyouts on Parise and Suter to exit their 13 years contracts 4 years early.

Another example is how many teams were rushing to sign veterans like Lewis and Thompson, especially over bringing up some of the young prospects you are developing.

Personally I would have laughed my butt off when Vegas called asking us to take Stansy to help them with their salary management issue for the full cap hit. I might have offered to take him for what we had offered when they felt the need to outbid us.

The organization overall shows a high degree of loyalty to people that have been with them and that is really start to pull the organization down as sometimes in pro sports you need to accept that that young rising star you draft you had many good years with your team is now past their prime and doesn't warrant an $8.25 million cap hit on your team for the next three seasons.

The other thing is just because someone has coached a lot of NHL games does not necessarily mean they are a good coach. You need to look more at stats like win percentage season over season instead of "total games coached" or "total games won".

Ultimately, the roster and front office personal issues with the Jets land squarely in Chevy's office, not Maurice's. And there is definitely a case that it goes as high as Chipman's office as he ultimately makes the call to fire or hire a GM.
Yes and no.
Chevy is the one who gets us the players or trades etc.
Chevy doesn't tell Paul who gets to play.
Paul is the one with loyalty issues to old tired players. Now I know the worst player can play better then me. So I'm not trying to be coach here.
But we know that Paul has always had a thing for the old school players. Almost like he wants to recover his stint in the NHL living through some of the older gents on the team.

As for Stantny he is a good player even at his age. He is a smart player aswell and it would be foolish to not try and hold on to him as you do need some guys to teach the young guns. Wheeler was a bad contract,. But you have to give the old guy credit for ice time and not missing that many games. Perrault another contract that need adjusting. He's good when he's healthy. Last year he was actually one of the better players.
I don't want to lose PLD either. Be nice to sign him to a short term contract just to see if he bounces back. Or of he's willing to sign 4-6 years at a reasonable rate then grab it. We can always trade him.

But the biggest issue I see is Paul and Captain Wheeler. I honestly don't k own who would make a good C anymore as Scheif is not captain material. Least not in my eyes.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Yes and no.
Chevy is the one who gets us the players or trades etc.
Chevy doesn't tell Paul who gets to play.
Paul is the one with loyalty issues to old tired players.
It still falls on Chevy, especially moves like Thompson and Lewis. Those veteran players needed to be specifically brought on. Stepping past who was the one to start that conversation ultimately Chevy needed to either lead it or agree with it. Chevy instead could have been pushing for those ice minutes to be given to younger players that are already in the broader Jets organization. After all veterans don't get to play for the Jets without Chevy signing off on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
As for Stantny he is a good player even at his age. He is a smart player aswell and it would be foolish to not try and hold on to him as you do need some guys to teach the young guns. Wheeler was a bad contract,. But you have to give the old guy credit for ice time and not missing that many games. Perrault another contract that need adjusting. He's good when he's healthy. Last year he was actually one of the better players.
I don't want to lose PLD either. Be nice to sign him to a short term contract just to see if he bounces back. Or of he's willing to sign 4-6 years at a reasonable rate then grab it. We can always trade him.

But the biggest issue I see is Paul and Captain Wheeler. I honestly don't k own who would make a good C anymore as Scheif is not captain material. Least not in my eyes.
Basically agree with everything you said.

For Statsny, my issue had nothing to do with the quality of the player but how Vegas mismanaged their own cap and came crawling to the Jets hoping for a hand up. The cap situation with Statsny was entirely Vegas' own doing as if they hadn't felt the need to outbid Winnipeg two years back he was going to sign to stay here. Maybe it is just my arm chair GMing and not needing to keep favors in my pocket with other teams that has me wanting to take a hard line here.

Perrault at a $4,125,000 hit this past season was just wrong. As you said he is a good player the challenge he has is being able to consistently stay in game condition and for the full length of the game. He is was willing to resign say a two year deal with a $800,000 similar to what Lewis had last season I would be saying to keep in as a 3rd/4th line player.

PLD is an absolute must sign for the Jets. He had a bad season but I feel that comes down to coaching. The lines were rarely consistent for even three games in a row and the changes were often not related to injuries.

To me once PLD came the Jets should have run with:

Wheeler - Schief - Connor
Copp - PLD - Elhers
Perrault (Statsny) - Lowery - Appleton
Statsny (call ups) - Thompson - Lewis

Yes, dropping Statsny to the fourth line (or trading him). It would have given a fairly solid consistency across the top three lines though. The other reality the Jets need to face is where does Perfetti slot into their near term plans? If he is coming in as a centre as expected it likely means PLD is moving to a wing position. It also suggest that Statsny has limited time left with the team but he could be a good bridge player finishing out his career and Perfetti is starting his.

That Wheeler and Schief are apparently calling shots on who plays where on ice and somewhat overstepping their roles shows that they really lack the leadership to be captain. A good captain should be listening to his teammates and bringing their concerns to the coach if needed but at the same time backing the coaching choices with their teammates.

And yes the length and late career amounts of Wheeler (and Little and Buff) were not the best contracts the team has ever done. Chevy got somewhat lucky and got bailed out on two of the three though.

The other piece I see as a challenge with Chevy is he wasn't able to keep most of the D the team drafted but rather than keeping cap space to replace them with free agents he heavily shifted the cap distribution to forwards to keep their players.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan