HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:51 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

^^^A link to the subject thread would be helpful in understanding from where you are coming.

Did do realize, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are slightly more employed people in the Austin-Round Rock metro than their are in the San Antonio-New Braunfels metro?!?

If the per capita rate in Austin is higher and they have more employed, then I'm having difficulty in seeing how SA's "Total Personal Income" is billions more.

Usually, the per capita metric is used for comparisons. That is what the BEA uses. I don't remember ever using "Total Personal Income" without determining its per capita for comparison reasons in any statistical measurement.

Are you trying to speak about each metro's overall GDP? If so, Austin's metro has us on that one too.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Sep 25, 2020 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:27 AM

I love the banter above but to change the subject a bit...

I think the BBVA sign on top of the Weston looks just as out of place as the Manhattan W Hotel sign during the daylight.

Seems people would plan better.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:51 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
^^^A link to the subject thread would be helpful in understanding from where you are coming.

Did do realize, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are slightly more employed people in the Austin-Round Rock metro than their are in the San Antonio-New Braunfels metro?!?

If the per capita rate in Austin is higher and they have more employed, then I'm having difficulty in seeing how SA's "Total Personal Income" is billions more.

Usually, the per capita metric is used for comparisons. That is what the BEA uses. I don't remember ever using "Total Personal Income" without determining its per capita for comparison reasons in any statistical measurement.

Are you trying to speak about each metro's overall GDP? If so, Austin's metro has us on that one too.
The thread was posted in city discussions years back. I will see If can locate the thread. San Antonio had an almost $12 billion lead over Austin. I am sure Austin has gained on S.A. since then.

The Austin metro does have a higher GDP than San Antonio, but that is heavily related to having a higher cost of living. The median home price in Austin is 424k and San Antonio hoovering around $260K.

I dont think metro GDP gives an all that accurate description of a city's economic soundness when comparing other cities for this precise reason. The east and west coast cities have an advantage over the middle states with Austin being the definitive outlier in this part of the country.

Additionally, I feel San Antonio's GDP figures are on the conservative side. The Dept of Defense in San Antonio generates roughly $50 billion towards the U.S. economy annually. I strongly feel that this is not included in San Antonio's GDP figures.

Again, GDP figures give the size and scope of an economy but imo give an apples to oranges comparison. Nonetheless, I feel that these type of stats are just for bragging rights at least on this forum for those of us that have a hyper sense of civic pride, in which I display on here a tad bit from time-to-time.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Sep 27, 2020 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 5:05 PM

Will San Antonio Have a Super Tall This Decade?

If we were to receive a new "tallest", how should it be designed? Classic neo-art deco to go with the old....or full throttle modern glass?

I persoanlly see something like ATL's BoA Plaza going in to compliment Tower Life:

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 7:36 PM

No. It will not.

It is fun to think about though.

I’d like something like Transco Tower.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
If we were to receive a new "tallest", how should it be designed? Classic neo-art deco to go with the old....or full throttle modern glass?

I persoanlly see something like ATL's BoA Plaza going in to compliment Tower Life:

Pressing LIKE button!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post

I think the new Frost tower was designed to complement the Tower Life building, in a subtle way. It's no accident that they are both octagonal. And they both taper.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 2:49 PM

Michael Dell and an Austin investment firm just bought a 30% stake in the Spurs. I think the clock is now ticking for San Antonio’s only major league franchise.

What do you think? They move in 2030? First play in the new UT basketball arena? I wonder if the ticket prices for the first MSL game was an eye-opener for Dell?

I think we need to be realistic and know that he has not invested in the SA area and this is a first step to move the team to Austin.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Michael Dell and an Austin investment firm just bought a 30% stake in the Spurs. I think the clock is now ticking for San Antonio’s only major league franchise.

What do you think? They move in 2030? First play in the new UT basketball arena? I wonder if the ticket prices for the first MSL game was an eye-opener for Dell?

I think we need to be realistic and know that he has not invested in the SA area and this is a first step to move the team to Austin.
There is no logical reason to move the team. They have a smaller TV market and the Spurs have one of the best attendance track records.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 3:28 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

For what's it's worth, the newspaper's take on this summer's reorg reaches the opposite conclusion:

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...s-16258781.php

Spurs announce moves that reaffirm team's commitment to San Antonio

The San Antonio Spurs have strengthened the Holt family’s grip on the franchise and brought on two high-powered players as strategic partners: Austin billionaire Michael Dell and global investment firm Sixth Street.

In transactions approved by the NBA’s board of governors and announced Friday, the Spurs promoted Peter J. Holt from chairman to managing partner.

Holt now has full authority over the team, something even his father, Peter M. Holt, never enjoyed when the Spurs won five NBA titles during his 20-year stint as chairman

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:

Nah, that's not the reason for the investment. Besides, the new UT Arena will only be 10,000 seats for basketball, which is plenty for college, especially for UT which cares more about football, but about half what the NBA expects in seating capacity.

Also, the Dell investment group, "Sixth Street" has offices and investments worldwide mostly outside the Austin area.

The real reason for Mr. Holt to attract another investor with deep pockets was, first and foremost, to reduce the number of shareholders while maintaining controlling interest and make managing the enterprise less by committee. Sixth Street and, by extension, Mr. Dell, get a large minority position in a major league sports franchise that has a good record for steadily increasing its net worth. Such opportunities, due to the near monopolistic nature of pro sports, are hard to come by so it's an investment that is a no-brainer to make.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 8:41 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:

Call down.

First off. So much misinformation you posted.

The investment firm is from San Francisco. They bought 20 percent. He bought just ten percent. They bought the shares of a bunch of minority owners that wanted to sell after the team was valued at 1.85 billion. The Holts own controlling interest of the team and actually bought more stake in the team. This actually secures the Spurs future in SA.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 8:43 PM

Do people not realize Sixth Street Partners is headquartered out of San Francisco and only has Texas offices in Houston and Dallas.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 3:01 AM

The value of the team went up. Minority investors cashed out. Number of investors went from 22 to 12. Holt has controlling interest.

Unfortunately many of us have been conditioned to believe that San Antonio is not strong or competitive on a national scale, misinformed of simply lack any awareness of the growth this city continues to experience. We see the headlines about Austin or believe the same recycled talking points about why San Antonio will not get an NFL or other pro team or attract employers. Don't get me started on MSAs (it is very arbitrary and subjective) or F500 companies.

However, the reality on the ground is quite the opposite. Many may not see it now, but in the next 2-5 years we will a big shift when it comes to certain industries and specifically IT sectors (cybersecurity, data science) along with educational attainment and workforce skills. San Antonio is growing just as fast as Austin and among the top cities in the country experiencing growth. That is not going to change in the near future. While many cities particularly in the midwest and other parts of the country are continuing to see declines in population, etc.

If anything it is more likely to see cities in the midwest or even parts of the east coast that might lose a team or two in the coming years rather than the Spurs leaving town.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXHighrise View Post
The value of the team went up. Minority investors cashed out. Number of investors went from 22 to 12. Holt has controlling interest.

Unfortunately many of us have been conditioned to believe that San Antonio is not strong or competitive on a national scale, misinformed of simply lack any awareness of the growth this city continues to experience. We see the headlines about Austin or believe the same recycled talking points about why San Antonio will not get an NFL or other pro team or attract employers. Don't get me started on MSAs (it is very arbitrary and subjective) or F500 companies.

However, the reality on the ground is quite the opposite. Many may not see it now, but in the next 2-5 years we will a big shift when it comes to certain industries and specifically IT sectors (cybersecurity, data science) along with educational attainment and workforce skills. San Antonio is growing just as fast as Austin and among the top cities in the country experiencing growth. That is not going to change in the near future. While many cities particularly in the midwest and other parts of the country are continuing to see declines in population, etc.

If anything it is more likely to see cities in the midwest or even parts of the east coast that might lose a team or two in the coming years rather than the Spurs leaving town.
I wish I could Like or favorite a post.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:26 PM

Quote:

In time they might move stadiums closer to Austin. But never out of San Antonio. Honestly, glad that Michael Dell and outside investors invested into the Spurs. Three reasons why its good:

1. Investors still see that the Spurs are a profitable organization
2. With Mr. Dell as an investor, we have surely gained a small portion of fans in Austin.
3. It might mean that more investments are headed for our city in the future.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 8:45 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkill34 View Post
In time they might move stadiums closer to Austin. But never out of San Antonio. Honestly, glad that Michael Dell and outside investors invested into the Spurs. Three reasons why its good:

1. Investors still see that the Spurs are a profitable organization
2. With Mr. Dell as an investor, we have surely gained a small portion of fans in Austin.
3. It might mean that more investments are headed for our city in the future.
The Spurs are not going to garner any more "Austin fans" because of the addition of one person (Michael Dell). And, I highly doubt any major league stadiums will be built between the two cities.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 11:01 PM

Any future arena or stadium would wisely be built in the downtown/urban area of SA. It’s that simple.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxhighrise View Post
the value of the team went up. Minority investors cashed out. Number of investors went from 22 to 12. Holt has controlling interest.

Unfortunately many of us have been conditioned to believe that san antonio is not strong or competitive on a national scale, misinformed of simply lack any awareness of the growth this city continues to experience. We see the headlines about austin or believe the same recycled talking points about why san antonio will not get an nfl or other pro team or attract employers. Don't get me started on msas (it is very arbitrary and subjective) or f500 companies.

However, the reality on the ground is quite the opposite. Many may not see it now, but in the next 2-5 years we will a big shift when it comes to certain industries and specifically it sectors (cybersecurity, data science) along with educational attainment and workforce skills. San antonio is growing just as fast as austin and among the top cities in the country experiencing growth. That is not going to change in the near future. While many cities particularly in the midwest and other parts of the country are continuing to see declines in population, etc.

If anything it is more likely to see cities in the midwest or even parts of the east coast that might lose a team or two in the coming years rather than the spurs leaving town.
+1

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 5:16 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
The Spurs are not going to garner any more "Austin fans" because of the addition of one person (Michael Dell). And, I highly doubt any major league stadiums will be built between the two cities.
Yeah, we're not going to see a stadium built between the two cities for the same reasons we have continued to not see any kind of joint airport as has been speculated before. I'm not really into sports of any kind at all, but I've never gotten why teams based in suburbs was a thing. Show of hands, how many Texas Rangers fans are there here?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio