HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 2:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Gatineau always had a right turns on red ban along its Rapibus BRT corridor, but there were still crashes in the early going.

You can see it here. There is a dedicated green arrow (red in the photo) for vehicles turning right and crossing the BRT corridor. The bus you see is in the reserved corridor.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4788...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Disagree. I believe that right on red helps with flow and makes sense for most intersections.

Don't try to fix stupid.
It would make the streets much safer for pedestrians, especially in busy downtown areas. Right on red cars often think they have the right of way over left on green arrow too, and when someone doesn't want to turn right on red, chances are the guy behind will honk his horn. Then you have the issue of right of red cars creeping into the crosswalk to see oncoming cars, blocking pedestrians. All around, right on reds create a lot of conflict, and not just with transit vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Gatineau always had a right turns on red ban along its Rapibus BRT corridor, but there were still crashes in the early going.

You can see it here. There is a dedicated green arrow (red in the photo) for vehicles turning right and crossing the BRT corridor. The bus you see is in the reserved corridor.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4788...7i16384!8i8192
Those are crazy intersections; seven lane stroad, train track, two lane busway. For those who don't know, one area has a 4 lane highway type road, train track, two lane busway, multi-use pathway, and another three lane road. Over 100 meters wide. It's nutz.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/m.../data=!3m1!1e3

Very few people actually live near the RapiBus. Almost all big box retail, malls, office and industrial. Quite a few lost opportunities.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 2:29 PM
Community Guy

As mentioned, in certain situations it makes sense to prohibit them, but in many cases it keeps things moving.

The main intersections here prohibit right on red to protect pedestrians/cyclists with clear lights and signage.

The rest of the intersections you can make a right on red.

It simply takes a little care and attention to recognize the rules of the road.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:27 PM
Change is good

there are already many left/right turn restrictions now in place on the new SE LRT route, and right on red not allowed, but crashes are still happening, and we haven't even reached peak volume testing yet.
Dont fix stupid, but you can design to prevent stupid from being a regular occurance. This line has many flaws, and part of that is not grade separation for a few intersections on this line. Cost was deemed an issue, but on the next line to the NW and St Albert, we have learned a thing or two - the same type of intersections like 137 avenue are being properly grade separated.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:33 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Disagree. I believe that right on red helps with flow and makes sense for most intersections.

Don't try to fix stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It would make the streets much safer for pedestrians, especially in busy downtown areas. Right on red cars often think they have the right of way over left on green arrow too, and when someone doesn't want to turn right on red, chances are the guy behind will honk his horn. Then you have the issue of right of red cars creeping into the crosswalk to see oncoming cars, blocking pedestrians. All around, right on reds create a lot of conflict, and not just with transit vehicles.
In my experience, right on red needs much better enforcement. Legally it's supposed to be similar to a stop sign in that you come to a complete stop, look carefully in all directions, and proceed only when you're sure it's safe. It should be treated as a special exception to avoid waiting out the cycle rather than the right of way being seen as an automatic default. But there's a few intersections I deal with (usually with suburban-style rounded corners) where cars just fly though the right turn without even stopping as if it was a green light. There should be cameras that ticket people doing that as if they were just running a red light because that's basically when it is.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Those are crazy intersections; seven lane stroad, train track, two lane busway. For those who don't know, one area has a 4 lane highway type road, train track, two lane busway, multi-use pathway, and another three lane road. Over 100 meters wide. It's nutz.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/m.../data=!3m1!1e3
I actually bike there quite regularly on my way to other places. It's not pastoral of course but really not that bad.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I actually bike there quite regularly on my way to other places. It's not pastoral of course but really not that bad.
Certainly looks better than it used to be. They even added a crosswalk from La Gappe to Maloney over the RapuBus and train tracks. When I was young walking to and from high-school, we would be dozens of kids going down into the ditch, over the railroad track, back down into the ditch, ran to the other side of Maloney, up and down the next ditch and over the fence behind Future Shop (now Canada Computers/SAQ). Someone had built make-shift bridges in the ditches so that our feet wouldn't get wet.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 8:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This was one of the reasons the Confederation Line in Ottawa got away from street running and level crossings.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 4:06 PM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:54 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Wow. I’m always blown away by the scope of the LRT work going on in Ottawa.

For the record on the “right on red” discussion:
I think it would be a great overreaction to ban all ror turns. It does need to made clear with proper signage, control lighting, etc. where ror is not permitted.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:56 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 7:34 PM

Quick question. For both the Scarborough Subway extension and Ontario Line, will both be using existing TTC rolling stock?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Quick question. For both the Scarborough Subway extension and Ontario Line, will both be using existing TTC rolling stock?
The Scarborough Subway Extension will be an extension of the existing Line 2, and use current TTC rolling stock.

The Ontario Line is supposed to use Hitachi trains, a "light metro" variety like those used in Honolulu, Copenhagen, or Rome. These won't be like the current TTC stock.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 10:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectionNorth View Post
The Scarborough Subway Extension will be an extension of the existing Line 2, and use current TTC rolling stock.

The Ontario Line is supposed to use Hitachi trains, a "light metro" variety like those used in Honolulu, Copenhagen, or Rome. These won't be like the current TTC stock.
IIRC, the tunnels and guideways won't even be large enough to take regular TTC subway rolling stock for the OL.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 12:04 AM
ハルウララ

GO was testing its new 1KM-long overpass at the Davenport Diamond interchange today:

https://twitter.com/ProjectEND/statu...89911228301312

This improvement will grade separate the Barrie Line from the east-west CP line it meets at Davenport.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 1:03 AM
gettin' rich!

Haha! They made space for electrification.

Beautiful to see 😊

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
GO was testing its new 1KM-long overpass at the Davenport Diamond interchange today:

https://twitter.com/ProjectEND/statu...89911228301312

This improvement will grade separate the Barrie Line from the east-west CP line it meets at Davenport.
Metrolinx continuing to plug away at building out an S-Bahn network out of GO. Exciting stuff! And glad to see it happening.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 1:52 AM
Community Guy

Edmonton's LRT to nowhere ahead of schedule and ready to serve, someone, anyone.
https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...ere-blatchford

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Edmonton's LRT to nowhere ahead of schedule and ready to serve, someone, anyone.
https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...ere-blatchford
Are you recommending TODs be built before the transit?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 4:04 AM
Community Guy

No, but focussing on low-density phases not walkable to your $250,000,000 transit expansion and not planning to build around said stations for A WHILE is something to chat about.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada