HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 12:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Used to be Fuddruckers, but now Regina's in on the fun.
The Fuddruckers in Regina is terrible. It’s not close to the same kind of experience though I haven’t been to the one in Saskatoon for awhile.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 7:06 PM

Here is the Stantec presentation for the Entertainment district.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TNYPXM_NlB4&feature=share

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:40 AM

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/saskat...19860.amp.html

I didn't realize the city had said no to this. Glad the province overturned that ruling. But I wonder if this will in fact be built.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:22 AM

Roxy Presentation

Have to say the first architectural renderings of the New Barn do not look to me especially "porous."

Pretty small turnout for what could well be the most important development in the city's history. And guess everyone there was pretty much in agreement with the speakers. Was there even a question period?

So the City turned down the Knox Condo project??? No wonder Edmonton has the Oilers while Saskatoon has the blues and only now a "proposed" Downtown Entertainment and Arts District (DEAD). Guess that explains how that bonehead Henry Dayday got elected over and over again.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmx View Post
So the City turned down the Knox Condo project??? No wonder Edmonton has the Oilers while Saskatoon has the blues
What a mess. I'll put this link here for reference (https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f...buildings.429/). There are several 30+ storey residential buildings under construction in central Edmonton right now, with over a dozen more underway in the 6-20 storey range. Meanwhile, we have the Baydo towers (ha) and 639 Main. Edmonton's population is ~5 times larger than ours, so of course there will always be an imbalance, but Saskatoon doesn't have urban development to speak of relative to Edmonton's, even considering the size difference of the two cities.

The history of the Knox project is as absurd as it is sad, but this is where we're at locally in terms of envisioning a less-stagnant Saskatoon. Growth here, what little there is, is suburban --- even Baydo would seem to agree. Returning to the Edmonton comparison, Edmonton's suburbs are booming too, but some of the city's growth is also occurring centrally. Why isn't that happening here? What would it take for Saskatoon to be dragged kicking and screaming out of its rut? What cultural, political, and economic factors are missing?

Sidenote, it's been about a year since the Eastlake and 12th proposal was announced. I wonder when we'll hear more about that one.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/saskat...19860.amp.html

I didn't realize the city had said no to this. Glad the province overturned that ruling. But I wonder if this will in fact be built.
To be clear, the development appeals board (a third party board) turned down Knox's zoning appeal, not "city hall". If you read the appeals board decisions (I have), it's very clear that the city's planning department supported the project throughout. The provincial appeals board did the right thing by throwing out a bad decision by the local board.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
To be clear, the development appeals board (a third party board) turned down Knox's zoning appeal, not "city hall". If you read the appeals board decisions (I have), it's very clear that the city's planning department supported the project throughout. The provincial appeals board did the right thing by throwing out a bad decision by the local board.
Yeah, that headline I think kind of missed a few things.

I don't know the exact details, but it was my understanding that city generally supported the project and actively worked to clear the path. i.e. removing the heritage designation from Saskatoon's most revered heritage gravel parking lot - https://www.ckom.com/2022/04/08/coun...tage-churches/

It looks like the development appeals board made a bad called based on public opinion.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:48 PM

please see below

Quote:
Good Morning Jeff,

We received an inquiry from you last week regarding our upcoming project on Spadina Crescent in Saskatoon. Thanks for reaching out!

We’re hoping to begin construction by the end of this year – but that is not confirmed at this time.

We are currently working on the name/brand and will be ready to release that shortly.

I would be happy to put your email down on our list so that you’re first to receive further updates/info. Let me know if you’d like me to do that.

Until then, I’m happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Noah
Noah Kelleher
Special Project Coordinator
p: (306) 384-0431
c: (306) 716-2264

100-450 2nd Avenue North, Saskatoon, SK, Canada, S7K 2C3
www.meridiandevelopment.ca

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 2:49 PM

The above was sent to me May 2022

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 4:36 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
Such a silly initial ruling. Basically the appeals board said:
- You don't own the property, so we can't rule on zoning (the city should be doing everything it can to clarify its appetite for major projects for developers, and making them play Russian roulette with investment properties that may or may not be rezoned is not that)
- This rezoning would require input from heritage committees, so rather than asking for that we will just say no
- Several people have said this development harms them but no, we will not give you a chance to respond

If a development like this which is in the downtown core - where all the proceeds will directly benefit an adjacent heritage property, and where a goddamn surface parking lot will be replaced - cannot be approved, what will be?

Roquentin has it right; Saskatoon will permit endless growth on the periphery of the city requiring millions of dollars to be spent on new interchanges, new bridges, and new utilities connections, but has no interest in making densification of the core easier. "Why on earth would we add a residential tower within walking distance of the university, Broadway, all of downtown, and future BRT stops?", the City of Saskatoon asks puzzledly.

As an aside, if anyone is interested in a highrise built next to a church you should take a look at The Butterfly in DT Vancouver. It's a beautiful building that will complement the First Baptist Church beautifully upon it's completion.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:01 PM

Got this update today

Quote:
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for reaching out on this project.

This project has experienced a few delays, however we are still in planning and development. If you like, I can add you to our contact list and you will be among the first to know when we have more information to share. Please let me know if you would be interested.

Noah

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:11 PM
Peddling to progress

On another topic, I am getting more and more worried about the City's BRT plan. First of all, this project has to be one of the worst cases of "BRT creep" in all of North America. BRT typically has a few elements:
  • Wider station spacing
  • Dedicated runningways
  • Signal priority
  • Pre-boarding fare payment
  • Increased frequencies (<15 minutes, at a minimum IMO)

Meanwhile, Saskatoon's BRT may have signal priority and the increased frequencies remain to be seen, but it is obvious to me that the buses will be repeatedly snarled in traffic due to a lack of dedicated runningways (3.5kms out of 38kms).

What is especially asinine is that a number of the corridors could quite easily have dedicated bus lanes. Let's be honest, how often does 22nd or 8th need three traffic lanes? With the removal of some curbside parking, 8th could have a dedicated bus lane plus two general travel lanes all the way from Broadway to Boychuk, and the same can be said for 22nd from Idylwyld to Diefenbaker. Attridge/Preston could also have bus lanes added. The setbacks along those roads are very deep and there is plenty of space to add a third bus-only lane. If 24-hour dedicated lanes are too big a political pill to swallow, how about making them time-sensitive? Maybe just weekdays from 7 to 7, or maybe even just weekdays in one direction during peak commute hours? Or, the city could be especially forward-thinking, and use traffic sensors to control electronic signage. When a street gets too congested due to Christmas shopping on the last Saturday before the holiday, or because a big concert just finished downtown, or the Rider won the Grey Cup and everyone is out cruising, the electronic signs could theoretically "activate" the dedicated lane to speed up the buses. And remember, dedicated bus lanes would have knock-on effects for the entirety of the city's bus network; these lanes would not only benefit BRT.

As for fare payment, Saskatoon could use BRT as an opportunity to launch a new contactless fare payment system. I would suggest Saskatoon copies Portland's fare system exactly. Riders can use credit or debit cards if they rarely use the network, or stored value if they regularly ride. Transfers between lines and modes are seamless because the system remembers your payment method. There are daily and monthly fare caps that stop charging you to ride once you pay the equivalent cost of a transit pass. And there is pre-boarding fare payment at LRT stops but without expensive fare gates.

We should call Saskatoon's "BRT" what it actually is: an express bus network. Now, that will still be an upgrade from the current system where a student travelling from Stonebridge to the UofS currently has a 38 minute bus ride with 25 interim stops (BRT will reduce that to 8 stops). But implementing express busses could be done for a whole lot less money, and I am worried that spending in excess of $125 million on "rapid transit" when the result will be anything but will make even more Saskatoon residents turn against transit.

I would love for Saskatoon to dream bigger with its transit. There are many cities around the world with small populations like Saskatoon that have subways (Lausanne, Switzerland is the classic example with a metro population of 330k and a fully-automated metro system with two lines) but even just proper BRT like there is in numerous cities in Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Australia, and China would do wonders for the city.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 8:26 PM

I know it will never look like this. I can't wait to do a side by side of the final product. Probably closer to the Baydo Soviet style than this.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 10:21 PM

I can agree with you that the final product won't be identical, but I would never lump it in with Baydo. The main distinction being that Meridian and their architect have established reputations for building quality and following through on their vision.

An architect has never touched a Baydo building, nor do they have any respect for architectural quality. Just engineers playing in SketchUp.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 11:09 PM

Some exciting news for Saskatoon: WCBL baseball is returning to Cairns Field in 2024. The team will be owned by the group that owns the Blades and Rush.

https://thestarphoenix.com/sports/ba...atoon-for-2024

Notably, ownership will apparently pay for several improvements to Cairns Field: a new infield, dugout fixes, and a deck down the third-base line. Any improvements to that place were needed 40 years ago, so it's great that they're looking to put some money into it. Maybe it could lead to a new ballpark a'la Spruce Grove or the proposed ballpark in Regina.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
On another topic, I am getting more and more worried about the City's BRT plan.
You raise many good points. $125M seems very steep for what they've proposed. Imo, the lack of dedicated bus lanes is especially unfortunate (in part because I'd want them to be precursors to an LRT system lol). It seems like we're more likely to see glorified express buses rather than a true BRT system, as you say. Given how prominently the BRT features in the city's corridor-planning, "BRT-lite" seems like a big misstep. Also, the current plan seems inadequate relative to the densities and uses being approved in the burbs.

On another note, does anyone know what will happen to the downtown transit terminal? It's set to close, right? That would be really unfortunate. Right now, it's a busy strip from dawn to midnight --- without the buses, that area will be so dead.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
On another note, does anyone know what will happen to the downtown transit terminal? It's set to close, right? That would be really unfortunate. Right now, it's a busy strip from dawn to midnight --- without the buses, that area will be so dead.
If I recall correctly the downtown transit terminal is considered a big plus of the BRT system. Years ago (15+) there were a bunch of businesses fronting on it, but many closed due to how dodgy the area felt, so now I think it's mostly city or government offices on there.

I think the idea was that parking lot that is there becomes a development site and that portion of road becomes a road for cars/bikes, which ideally makes it more vibrant.

Anyone else remember this? or am I making it up? I feel like there was lots of talk about this 15-ish years ago.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
On another topic, I am getting more and more worried about the City's BRT plan. ...
You would think that improving the transit network and getting more people to use it would lower the amount of single-use vehicular traffic. You just need a city council with the balls to make the move. Just like wider roads induce more traffic, the opposite is true. If public transit was quicker and more convenient than single-use vehicle travel, that's when people will start making the jump.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:56 PM

Quote:
The 23rd Street terminal will be replaced by centre median stations on 1st Avenue where the 3 lines intersect in dedicated lanes.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 4:43 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
YIt seems like we're more likely to see glorified express buses rather than a true BRT system, as you say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
You would think that improving the transit network and getting more people to use it would lower the amount of single-use vehicular traffic. You just need a city council with the balls to make the move.
It's especially maddening because 8th, 22nd, and College all operate well below their vehicle capacity at least 90% of the time. I would be so easy to throw dedicated lanes on those corridors.

Atlanta's transit authority is currently trying to sway public opinion for some new BRT projects. The public wants rails, while MARTA wants to save money.

Anyways, MARTA has released a number of YouTube videos about how other cities have implemented BRT:
- SanFran
- Houston
- Indy

If you watch those videos you'll see how different S'toon's "BRT" is from true BRT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan