HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
2) 2141 S Wabash Ave - Wabash & Cermak. A new building proposed that will rise 12 stories, 150 feet tall with 150 units, 48 parking spaces, and ground floor commercial. This is from the same developer/owner as the new Aspire residences next door (256 feet tall).
This was originally going to be a 9 story hotel back in a 2015 South Loop meeting, makes sense that they'd pivot to apartments. Also funny to see the initial reactions to NEMA and 1000M

http://www.sloopin.com/2015/09/real-...season-at.html

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 6:22 PM

1217 W Washington Blvd

So glad they knocked down that beautiful façade a few years ago (I can remember when it happened) only to need a similar but inferior new version. Seriously, at the very least developers should not be able to knock this stuff down until they have financing to put shovels in the ground. I think if the community saw this rendering next to the existing building they'd request them to at least preserve the façade? But this pattern of knocking down history, letting it sit a few years, then seeming like a hero to build an otherwise nice building on empty land needs to stop.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 7:35 PM

Thought I’d share these photos I captured from the top floor amenity space at 167 Green St awhile back.

Also unrelated, but I wanted to mention that I finally got around to updating my urban development map that I saw some users mention a while back. I think I got around to updating like 95% of the projects I wanted to, but let me know if there’s anything specific you all notice is out of date or think I should include.

Link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/vi...638113428&z=14

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 10:10 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
So glad they knocked down that beautiful façade a few years ago (I can remember when it happened) only to need a similar but inferior new version. Seriously, at the very least developers should not be able to knock this stuff down until they have financing to put shovels in the ground. I think if the community saw this rendering next to the existing building they'd request them to at least preserve the façade? But this pattern of knocking down history, letting it sit a few years, then seeming like a hero to build an otherwise nice building on empty land needs to stop.
Yup. Its a total tragedy.

Looking at the render of the new proposed building, the new 3 story facade along Washington is basically disconnected from the tower above it, being set back from the lot line and a different design and even utilizing different construction materials than the 3 story facade. The developers could have *easily* saved the historically significant (we're talking about a Burnham design here!) exterior of the building and simply built behind and above it (ala the "facade-ectomies" done for The Heritage and The Legacy on Wabash).

The city really needs to tighten its rules when it comes to demolitions of historic structures by developers. Adaptive reuse/redesign/incorporation of these structures should be promoted at all times over wholesale demolition. Demolition should only be done as a last resort, if the existing structure is completely incompatible with the proposed new use/build-out of the property or otherwise found to be structurally unsound or otherwise unsalvageable.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 3:24 PM

those are some nice views.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:00 AM

Plumbers Union - 1401 (?) W Randolph

June 24

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 9:36 AM

[QUOTE=AlpacaObsessor;9319195]

This shot blows my mind. Entirely unrecognizable from 5 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=The Lurker;9323209]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor View Post

And hopefully this shot will be unrecognizeable another 5 years from now.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 1:57 PM

[QUOTE=The Lurker;9323209]
Quote:

This really shows how far 1400 W Randolph ( crane in background ) is from Halsted ( where the shot is from ).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 7:31 PM

K3

June 24

[ what is the name of this project ? address ? ]

snotty water - has some kind of polymere that makes it heavyier than plain water, this helps hold the walls of the shaft (in clay) open until a caisson can be drooped/driven in.

Viscous stuff

Looks like an extra lip on the augar to help pull up clay ? or to more cleanly make the hole ?

Some serious piers are in the making - note the tremella pipe in the foreground, used for pouring concrete through a deep bore full of water - or snot.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 9:05 PM

Great photos as always, Harry.

I was just thinking the other day how amazing it is that Chicago is built on essentially a swamp. Reminded every time foundation work is done on one of these projects.

By the way I believe the address is 354 N Union. I used to live in K2 facing south. My old view is about to be gone.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 9:37 PM

Fulton Labs - 400 N Aberdeen

June 24

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Thought I’d share these photos I captured from the top floor amenity space at 167 Green St awhile back.

Also unrelated, but I wanted to mention that I finally got around to updating my urban development map that I saw some users mention a while back. I think I got around to updating like 95% of the projects I wanted to, but let me know if there’s anything specific you all notice is out of date or think I should include.

Link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/vi...638113428&z=14
Nothing I see out of date but wanted to thank you very much for doing this! I refer to it semi-regularly as it is extremely convenient and well curated.

The only 'request' would be if instead of deleting projects there would be a fourth color in the key for 'completed' - maybe grayed out or something. But don't tire yourself out please - your work is appreciated.

Last edited by rivernorthlurker; Jun 27, 2021 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 12:27 PM

The Mews

June 24

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 12:38 PM

800 W Fulton

June 24

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
June 24

Great pics as always HarryC. What is the status and future of the Pickens Kane warehouse? Hopefully it is spared.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 12:51 AM

July 2021 Plan Commission Hearing

July has a very busy agenda with several Uptown and West Loop proposals submitted for approval.

1017-1039 N. LaSalle St. / 125 W. Maple St.
(Near North Side, 2nd Ward)

A proposed Residential-Business Planned Development, submitted by FRC Realty Inc., for the property generally located at 1017-1039 N. LaSalle Street and 125 W. Maple Street. The applicant is proposing to rezone the site from RM-5 (Residential Multi-Unit District) to a DX-7 (Downtown Mixed-Use District) and then to a Residential-Business Planned Development. The applicant proposes to construct a 39-story, 418’-tall building with 303 residential units, 3,698 sf of ground floor commercial space, and 124 parking spaces with accessory and incidental uses on the property located at 125 W. Maple St. (Sub-Area B). The property located at 1017 N. LaSalle St. (Sub-Area A) will continue to be improved with the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral. The existing 6-unit apartment building and coach house at 1015 N. LaSalle St. (Subarea A) will remain. Bonus FAR of 1.50 for Subarea A and bonus FAR of 4.5 for Subarea B will be taken and the overall FAR of the planned development will be 9.5.

1215 W. Fulton Market
(Near West Side, 27th Ward)

A proposed Residential-Business Planned Development, submitted by 1201 W. Fulton Partners LLC, for the property generally located at 1215 West Fulton Street. The applicant is proposing to rezone the site from M2-3 (Light Industry District) to DX-7 (Downtown Mixed-Use District) and then to a Residential-Business Planned Development. The applicant proposes to construct a 34-story, 414’-9”- tall building with ground floor commercial space, and residential use above. The project will contain 80 accessory vehicular parking spaces and 112 bicycle parking spaces. A 4.5 FAR (Floor Area Ratio) bonus will be taken and the overall FAR of the planned development will be 11.5.

150 E. Ontario St.
(Near North Side, 42nd Ward)

A proposed planned development, submitted by RIU Chicago LLC, for the property generally located at 150 E. Ontario Street. The applicant is proposing to rezone the property from DX-12 (Downtown Mixed-Use District) to a Business Planned Development. The applicant proposes the construction of a new 28-story hotel building, with an overall height of 345’, containing 388 hotel keys and two internal loading berths. A 6.40 FAR (Floor Area Ratio) bonus will be taken and the overall FAR of the planned development will be 18.4.

3630-36 N. Lake Shore Dr. /
601-627 W. Waveland Ave.
(Lake View, 46th Ward)

A proposed amendment to Residential Planned Development 1023 and a Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection Ordinance application, submitted by CCA Lakeview LLC, for the property generally located at 3630-3636 N. Lake Shore Drive and 601-627 W. Waveland Avenue. The property is currently zoned Residential Planned Development 1023 and is within the Public Use Zone of the Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection District. The applicant proposes to change the zoning designation from Residential Planned Development 1023 to B2-5 Neighborhood Mixed-Use District and then to Residential Business Planned Development 1023, as amended. The applicant proposes the construction of a 19-story and a 6-story residential building, connected at the base, with 333 residential units, 145 parking spaces, and a 5,000 SF restaurant with an outdoor patio at grade.

4600 N. Marine Dr.
(Uptown, 46th Ward)

A proposed Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection Ordinance application and an Amendment to planned development 37, submitted by Lincoln Property Company National LLC, for the property generally located at 4600 N Marine Drive. The property is currently zoned Residential-Institutional Planned Development No. 37 and is within the Private-Use Zone of the Lake Michigan and Chicago Lakefront Protection District. The applicant is proposing to construct a 12-story residential building with 314 units and 136 vehicular parking spaces.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 1:09 AM

^ Thanks for sharing! I took a look and believe there's a 11 story building that technically counts as a highrise due to its height. That would mean this month's meeting will have 6 highrises

917 W. Fulton Market
(Near West Side, 27th Ward)

A proposed Business Planned Development, submitted by 917 W. Fulton Partners LLC, for the property generally located at 917 West Fulton Market Street. The applicant is proposing to rezone the site from C1-1 and C1-2 (Neighborhood Commercial District) to DX-5 (Downtown Mixed-Use District) and then to a Business Planned Development. The applicant proposes to construct an 11-story, 153’-4”- tall building with ground floor commercial space, and office use above and renovate an existing six-story, 87’-tall building to accommodate ground floor commercial or office space, with office space above. The entire project will contain 111 accessory vehicular parking spaces and 73 bicycle parking spaces. A 3.1 FAR (Floor Area Ratio) bonus will be taken and the overall FAR of the planned development will be 8.1.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...n_Hearing.html

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
June 24

[ what is the name of this project ? address ? ]

Some serious piers are in the making - note the tremella pipe in the foreground, used for pouring concrete through a deep bore full of water - or snot.
Those are some awfully large piers for a ~400 ft building. What gives?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Those are some awfully large piers for a ~400 ft building. What gives?
Can't say for sure but knowing the expressway runs right over a portion of the site I wonder if they had to beef up the caissons since there may be fewer of them?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations