HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
^
This isn't the finished cladding is it? If so, what a disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
There is a light colored brick being put up. They are working on the south side of the building currently (albeit slowly).

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
NMH - Not a Goldberg
Harry, you always seem to be on Erie/Huron - can you train your lens on the Superior side next time, it's got the interesting curves (like maru2501 thumbnails previous page).

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 2:55 AM

1035 W VanBuren

May 8

May 12

May 13

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 3:06 AM
1st Ward

What a gorgeous building. The garage is a bit offensive (granted, one side IS facing an interstate), but otherwise I really dig the height and density this tower is bringing to the neighborhood. Van Buren is a bit dead along that stretch, so here's to hoping the new residents attract some more retail or street life to the area.

Hopefully the planned western tower goes through as well. It would be nice if UIC across the highway decided to put up a tall project in the vicinity, to help tie in the West Loop with the Medical District. The parking lot between Morgan and Peoria, or the lot between the Theater and HRPS garage would be the perfect candidates.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 4:03 AM

Another to add to Harry's great set:

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 6:44 AM

Here's an up close perspective of 165 N. Des Plaines, the brickwork is meh, to say the least, IMO. I was never a big fan of this project, but I really enjoyed the facade presented in the rendering. I haven't really seen a single hint of that to come, as of yet. Also, for a 14 story building, the work seems to be going at a snail's pace. These pics are from a friend's place, and they haven't really gotten much done, externally, in the last couple months.

On a happier note, the same view offers the beauty of West Loop and the Tower Crane potential of what's to come.. (111 S. Peoria, 1 S. Halsted, and a nearly completed Landmark Tower)

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
It would be nice if UIC across the highway decided to put up a tall project in the vicinity, to help tie in the West Loop with the Medical District. The parking lot between Morgan and Peoria, or the lot between the Theater and HRPS garage would be the perfect candidates.
I went to UIC for undergrad and grad school, and have remained pretty close with several faculty and staff. Some of them have mentioned to me that a plan has been created to redevelop parts of East Campus (Area encompassed by Taylor, Morgan, Harrison, Halsted). University Hall renovation is the first phase, and is well underway. The next phase includes replacing the East Campus Dorms with new dorm towers. Apparently there are renderings somewhere, but I do not have that much insight. From what I've heard they will be interconnected buildings at the corner of Harrison and Halsted, but the buildings should range from 5-15 stories. All of this is pretty preliminary though. There are other developments, as well.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 2:33 PM
The City

UIC unfortunately obliterates it's section of Halsted. What could otherwise be a great boulevard that connects Greektown to the north with University Village is a 5 lane auto sewer with ugly 1970s garages and parking lots

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 3:27 PM
1st Ward

^ The ole alma mater unfortunately isn't exactly well known for its architecture or integration into the city. It was designed so that it would be insulated from surrounding streets and neighborhoods. That being said, the west side of Halsted isn't too bad. If the parking garages/lots on the east side could be replaced with class space/student housing, it would help drastically.

I'm surprised that UIC wants to redo the SRC dorms. They are probably one of the most visually inoffensive buildings in East Campus.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 6:27 PM

My alma mater as well, and if they want to do something beneficial for the city develop the parkland on harrison for something other than a helicopter landing strip for politicians. Put it to good use and make it a campus apartment deal. Or keep it green and keep it a park. But make it worth walking to see.

Last edited by KWILLSKYLINE; May 29, 2017 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:16 PM
Development Shill

Pictures from Memorial Day weekend

801 S. Financial, really making its presence felt in the neighborhood.

1101 S Wabash, still crawling along, barely any farther than it was when I checked back in March...

625 W. Adams, can just barely see the crane between the former AT&T Building and Sears Tower

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 10:08 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
My alma mater as well, and if they want to do something beneficial for the city develop the parkland on harrison for something other than a helicopter landing strip for politicians. Put it to good use and make it a campus apartment deal. Or keep it green and keep it a park. But make it worth walking to see.
UIC pitched Harrison Field as a possible location for the Obama Library, back when they were somehow inexplicably in the running for it.

They occasional host some events there but otherwise its just an empty grass space, mostly used as a shortcut by students going to/from Halsted and the main walkway south of the Blue Line Peoria St exit.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 11:43 PM

Also hosted the occasional drum circle or picketing line if I remember correctly. Haha. But that was years ago.
But I do remember Blago's helicopter landing there when I was walking to class one day.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 11:52 PM

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/5/26...son-house-ymca

I dont know much about affordable housing but I imagine this is a good thing...right?

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 12:04 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/5/26...son-house-ymca

I dont know much about affordable housing but I imagine this is a good thing...right?
While it's better than it being shut down completely, the renovation will remove 183 affordable units from an area that has already had catastrophic loss of affordable housing over the past two decades.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 12:14 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
UIC unfortunately obliterates it's section of Halsted. What could otherwise be a great boulevard that connects Greektown to the north with University Village is a 5 lane auto sewer with ugly 1970s garages and parking lots
I'm not that dogmatic about this. Halsted is a pretty decent street through UIC campus. Wide sidewalks, plenty of landscaping, lots of pedestrians, etc. Not really an auto sewer, most of the width is in setbacks, sidewalks and medians, not travel lanes. It's nice to have a section of the city with a different character, not everything needs to look like West Loop. My main gripe with UIC campus is the closure of Morgan at Harrison, which cuts off a key route from Pilsen to West Loop and makes all the other streets (Racine, Halsted, Ashland) more congested. Embrace the grid! Also the HUGE parking lot at Racine/Harrison sucks. Build up that sucker.

The Netsch-designed garages on Halsted are actually really badass, especially now that they've switched the lighting over from yellow sodium to white LEDs. Same goes for Hull House, the athletic center, etc. There's a nice variety of architecture. I do wish the Harrison and Roosevelt intersections were better developed, though the UIC masterplan calls for all of these things to happen and more if state funding ever materializes.

Unfortunately the Millennial boom in college attendance is mostly over, so I think UIC's growth for the next 15-20 years will be in non-traditional students who are more likely to commute and less likely to live on/near campus. That means fewer new dorms and more new parking garages.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 4:04 AM
Chicago

Alta Roosevelt - 801 S Financial

May 25, 2017

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 4:10 AM
Chicago

145 S Wells

May 25, 2017

The fresh canvas was irresistible.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 4:11 AM
Chicago

625 W Adams

May 26, 2017

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 12:23 PM

Story on Skyscraper foundations in Chicago

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations