HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I was referring to this building (the proposed overbuild), not sure if it's part of the theater or just front offices / event spaces. But it needs some TLC either way.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9476...7i16384!8i8192
I believe the upper floors are theatre offices. The ground floor is the Merriam lobby - the actual theater is at the back. The facade underwent a poor “restoration” in the 80’s or 90’s. I’m sure any kind of overbuild would be rather complex when attempting to stabilize the auditorium space which is probably why you rarely hear it being done, even in NYC. However, I agree, the building does need some TLC.

Edit: Here are the 2017 plans for the overbuild. It looks like it would be a sliver of a tower even with the cantilever over the auditorium, which would have likely been a rather complex and costly feature. The plans were presented before expenditures and cost/benefit analysis were conducted. I’m sure the Kimmel people saw the final price tag, said “yikes!” and abandoned the project.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inq...outputType=amp

Last edited by skyhigh07; Mar 6, 2022 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 3:05 PM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 12:53 PM

Carl Dranoff plans 176 more apartments on South Broad

Quote:
But next year, Dranoff has another proposal closer to City Hall.

Catty-corner from Symphony House, Dranoff’s first building on South Broad Street, he plans a 145,000-square-foot, 15-story apartment building at Broad and Pine. This project is further along in the development process, and would have more of a neoclassical design to match the older office buildings on South Broad.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 1:03 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Looks to start early next year. Still nervous about the design. Was the garage demolished yet?

Another important tidbit...

One of the buildings would be an 85,000-square-foot tower, with 85 units and ground floor retail at the corner of Broad and Carpenter. The lot is the former home of a retro-themed McDonald’s, but the owner of the site did not renew the restaurant’s lease in 2021.

Dranoff is partnering on the site with the owner, Jeff Herskowitz, whose background is in New Jersey retail development.

Applications for the Broad and Carpenter building have not been submitted yet, and renderings of the architectural design are not yet available. Dranoff does not anticipate the need for zoning relief and says the project will break ground in 2024.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 1:03 PM

Quote:
...and would have more of a neoclassical design to match the older office buildings on South Broad.
Oh god no.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Oh god no.
It's hideous, don't look at it. The kindest thing I can say is, it's better than what was there before.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 4:02 PM

If it’s still the neo second empire design, I like it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 5:13 PM

I feel like the original design was so much better so it looks worse by comparison

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:35 PM
Chris

Looks like this project is moving forward soon.

Dranoff nears construction on latest South Broad project, under contract for another development site

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Dranoff Properties expects to secure permits for its planned 14-story, 91-apartment building in Center City within the next two months, in a move partly to protect the sight lines of two of the firm's other nearby developments.

Construction on the property, located on the northeast corner of South Broad and Pine streets, could then begin in 2023 and be completed in 2025, Dranoff Properties CEO Carl Dranoff told the Business Journal.

Developing a 14-story building so near to other projects was a defensive move, Dranoff said. Part of the goal is to protect the views for Arthaus and Symphony House, which soar many stories higher than this one would.

The smaller building is also being designed to have a more intimate feel and to blend in with existing buildings on Pine Street. It will use masonry materials like brick and stone.

Ninety percent of the apartments will have two bedrooms and the rest will be a mix of one- and three-bedroom offerings. A ground floor restaurant is also being planned for the new building, as is a rooftop lounge, garden, club room, fitness center and grilling station.

In addition to this latest project, the company is also planning a future development on the northwest corner of Broad and Carpenter streets at the site of a former McDonald’s that has been demolished and sits vacant. It sits on the same intersection as a Sprouts Farmers Market. The site — 912 S. Broad St. is owned by McDonald's Corp. and 914-24 S. Broad St. is owned by the Herskowitz family — is under contract. Dranoff plans to develop the property as part of a joint venture with the Herskowitz family.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:44 PM

Big meh.

I loved the original design of this proposal. The newer one is doing nothing for me.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 6:59 PM

I loved the original design. I still enjoy this design, but a little less so.

Huge news about Dranoff also redeveloping the McDonald’s lot.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
Big meh.

I loved the original design of this proposal. The newer one is doing nothing for me.
Same. It’s faux historicism. I hate buildings that simultaneously try to took old, but also don’t try to look old.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Same. It’s faux historicism. I hate buildings that simultaneously try to took old, but also don’t try to look old.
It's the perfect sibling for Symphony House, making an ugly pastiche gateway to Center City

I'd really like this one to prove me wrong, but the render is so bad, it's hard to be excited about this

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
It's the perfect sibling for Symphony House, making an ugly pastiche gateway to Center City

I'd really like this one to prove me wrong, but the render is so bad, it's hard to be excited about this
Agreed. It just comes across as being lazy and cheap. There are some wonderful new neoclassical buildings by AM Stern in NYC that are done right.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 8:59 PM

Quote:
[I]Dranoff Properties expects to secure permits for its planned 14-story, 91-apartment building in Center City within the next two months, in a move partly to protect the sight lines of two of the firm's other nearby developments.

Developing a 14-story building so near to other projects was a defensive move, Dranoff said. Part of the goal is to protect the views for Arthaus and Symphony House, which soar many stories higher than this one would.

ugh, lame

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 2:24 PM

The height (and the reasoning for it) is really unfortunate. However, I’m ok with the look of the building. It gets boring when every new building is glass.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 4:40 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtphilly View Post
The height (and the reasoning for it) is really unfortunate. However, I’m ok with the look of the building. It gets boring when every new building is glass.
I hope it turns out well, the use of actual masonry (per the article) will go a long way.

I'm mostly excited to see another puzzle piece for South Broad Street. The current site is a vacant parking garage.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 5:00 PM

Quote:
I hope it turns out well, the use of actual masonry (per the article) will go a long way.

I'm mostly excited to see another puzzle piece for South Broad Street. The current site is a vacant parking garage.
Yeah I just walked by the site today and it looks terrible. This will be a major improvement regardless of what it looks like.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtphilly View Post
Yeah I just walked by the site today and it looks terrible. This will be a major improvement regardless of what it looks like.
To be fair, before Dranoff acquired the property, the garage was active and there was a Starbucks and a Sushi restaurant.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
To be fair, before Dranoff acquired the property, the garage was active and there was a Starbucks and a Sushi restaurant.
Yeah and for an old parking garage it was kind of cool looking when it was maintained well (before all the graffiti).

https://maps.app.goo.gl/f7R6WxwmWkne4Rec8?g_st=ic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals