Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:04 PM

"No offense kumdog,..."

I need to start working this into conversations

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:07 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
No offense kumdog, but that's the tackiest shit I've ever heard of. The river has become a draw because of the architecture. No three-ring circus please.

Wait. Were you kidding?
Why would that be tacky? It's not like it's advertising for Pepsi or like car insurance or something. It's a cultural institution making their art more accessible to Chicago as a whole. Not everyone can afford a ticket to the opera. Projecting performances on that wall would go a long way to lowering the barrier to access something that should be egalitarian. And lets be honest, the south branch of the river could use some livening up. I'm curious if your opinion is the Art on the Mart is tacky as well.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:13 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
No offense kumdog, but that's the tackiest shit I've ever heard of. The river has become a draw because of the architecture. No three-ring circus please.

Wait. Were you kidding?
You know, a circus show would be cool too if the river was clean enough to include water stunts safely. Thanks for the added idea!

And I'm very serious...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
"No offense kumdog,..."

I need to start working this into conversations

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Why would that be tacky? It's not like it's advertising for Pepsi or like car insurance or something. It's a cultural institution making their art more accessible to Chicago as a whole. Not everyone can afford a ticket to the opera. Projecting performances on that wall would go a long way to lowering the barrier to access something that should be egalitarian. And lets be honest, the south branch of the river could use some livening up. I'm curious if your opinion is the Art on the Mart is tacky as well.
Riiiiight. Show a movie/opera/play/whatever in a very narrow channel of water that happens to be the biggest iconic draw in the entire city. (don't even say Navy Pier)

Sure, a light show, great. A movie? are you kidding? For what? 100, 200 people in boats, which now have congested the entire south branch. Fuck that. The river is everyone's, not the Lyric Odeplex 200. Jeebus. You want boat drive-in movie complex...hmmm.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 8:16 PM

If you'll notice, not in any spot does the existing river walk (that i know of) come up against a building. It's just not ideal, especially in that stretch of the branch. Stop forcing it, I say. Let it be. Lately, everything has been turning up roses on the river anyway. It's fine.

I mean, if there is truly a desire for a drive-in Boat-a-plex...try the North Branch where things like that make more sense. Just my opinion.

Final thought. The Lyric should go out and spend a half mil or so and light that beautiful wall up in the best way imaginable. Sell themselves. Jump on the river cruise bandwagon...which is only getting stronger with each building that goes up.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 8:19 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Riiiiight. Show a movie/opera/play/whatever in a very narrow channel of water that happens to be the biggest iconic draw in the entire city. (don't even say Navy Pier)

Sure, a light show, great. A movie? are you kidding? For what? 100, 200 people in boats, which now have congested the entire south branch. Fuck that. The river is everyone's, not the Lyric Odeplex 200. Jeebus. You want boat drive-in movie complex...hmmm.
I dont think anyone is talking about making this a drive in theater. I'm not sure the Lyric Opera is in the business of showing movies. I would imagine it would be more of a performance by the opera itself, accompanied by their music. There's a rather large plaza across the river that people could view this from, no need for 200 people in boats. I understand you're not keen on the idea, but boy are your arguments rash. Anyway....

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
I dont think anyone is talking about making this a drive in theater. I'm not sure the Lyric Opera is in the business of showing movies. I would imagine it would be more of a performance by the opera itself, accompanied by their music. There's a rather large plaza across the river that people could view this from, no need for 200 people in boats. I understand you're not keen on the idea, but boy are your arguments rash. Anyway....
They are. No offense. Rough childhood. But the intelligence still there

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 8:51 PM

In Vienna they project the opera and concerts outside of the building for people to view for free. It would be a great place for it, as they have that giant sheer flat wall to project on, just like Art on the Mart. I think it's a great idea, and a way to give the Opera more exposure.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
In Vienna they project the opera and concerts outside of the building for people to view for free. It would be a great place for it, as they have that giant sheer flat wall to project on, just like Art on the Mart. I think it's a great idea, and a way to give the Opera more exposure.
Yes, but that's Vienna. Totally different environs. This is the south branch of the Chicago river with some of the tallest buildings in the nation. In my humble opinion, it just doesn't work here. To further explain, I can understand the desire to "dress up" that mass of building called the Lyric. It is a cultural icon but for decades has kinda sat up against the water like the back of an old fat man. Combined with the fact that once you made the turn from the east branch, the visual effect in comparison to the east branch completely died off. However, that was then. The dynamic of the south branch has been given a huge jolt by 110 south wacker (and Wolf point East!) and the development of the south loop/river. Along with the river walk on the east branch, within the space of 10 years, give or take, the river cruise is now something that is
the talk of the town around the world. But it is a mover. A shaker. Not a Vienna style sit-around. Again, imo. I just feel it doesn't add up. And I don't think I am alone. I doubt you'll ever see a play or opera there. Just light it up like the Merch.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Even the opera itself has tossed around the idea of projecting opera on the river side wall of their building. I don't think it has to be tacky depending on how it's done.
Projecting the Opera Live would be awesome! What a way to add class & culture to downtown and advertise simultaneously. Seems win-win.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:36 PM
Development Shill

Quote:

Did you not see how the riverwalk built massive seating area butting up against the river? You could easily get a few thousand seats with that and the large plaza behind it that buts up to 2N Riverside Plaza. It could really be something grand. Again, no need to clog up the river...

I feel like you fail to actually think about anything you type out and are just using visceral emotion because you don't like the 'idea' of something. It feels wrong to you, so you're trying to use mental gymnastics to convince yourself it won't work. Which is odd, because most Chicagoans love public spaces. Art on the Mart is already a thing, and this would just build on that with a better backsplash

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, but that's Vienna. Totally different environs. This is the south branch of the Chicago river with some of the tallest buildings in the nation. In my humble opinion, it just doesn't work here. To further explain, I can understand the desire to "dress up" that mass of building called the Lyric. It is a cultural icon but for decades has kinda sat up against the water like the back of an old fat man. Combined with the fact that once you made the turn from the east branch, the visual effect in comparison to the east branch completely died off. However, that was then. The dynamic of the south branch has been given a huge jolt by 110 south wacker (and Wolf point East!) and the development of the south loop/river. Along with the river walk on the east branch, within the space of 10 years, give or take, the river cruise is now something that is
the talk of the town around the world. But it is a mover. A shaker. Not a Vienna style sit-around. Again, imo. I just feel it doesn't add up. And I don't think I am alone. I doubt you'll ever see a play or opera there. Just light it up like the Merch.
Riverside plaza is directly across from the Lyric and perfect for gathering and watching opera. If an outdoor projection is good enough for the damn Vienna State Opera, it's good enough for the Lyric... It would be very cool to gather at Riverside, or along the bridges, or yes--in a boat--and take in a beautiful opera performance surrounded by some of the worlds greatest architecture.

I also think you overestimate the cultural cache of the Lyric, unfortunately.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Here's a photo of the Vienna plaza where they can watch the opera outside, it's a fairly modest screen and space for a few hundred seats at most. Maybe you had something far grander in mind.

https://images.app.goo.gl/VFc38yY5PHYnKMP69

The Rockerfeller-esque plaza across from the Opera already is a pleasant space and could provide space for seating. They would just have to install a projector and some speakers like at Art on the Mart. It's not going to clog up the river with boats.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Did you not see how the riverwalk built massive seating area butting up against the river? You could easily get a few thousand seats with that and the large plaza behind it that buts up to 2N Riverside Plaza. It could really be something grand. Again, no need to clog up the river...

I feel like you fail to actually think about anything you type out and are just using visceral emotion because you don't like the 'idea' of something. It feels wrong to you, so you're trying to use mental gymnastics to convince yourself it won't work. Which is odd, because most Chicagoans love public spaces. Art on the Mart is already a thing, and this would just build on that with a better backsplash
Whoa, boss. Who's getting visceral. What, does my style of speaking rub you the wrong way? Too rough? I did no insulting. Sorry you couldn't stay in the ring.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Here's a photo of the Vienna plaza where they can watch the opera outside, it's a fairly modest screen and space for a few hundred seats at most. Maybe you had something far grander in mind.

https://images.app.goo.gl/VFc38yY5PHYnKMP69

The Rockerfeller-esque plaza across from the Opera already is a pleasant space and could provide space for seating. They would just have to install a projector and some speakers like at Art on the Mart. It's not going to clog up the river with boats.
This is not old Europe, though. That is a wonderfully delightful setting and image. Do you see a giant BOA building next to that? A Union Station? A 6 lane Wacker Drive? Tour boats zooming in and out. This is not a gentle, serene area...for the most part of 24 hours. Just put some nice light show on it and call it a day.

Last edited by bhawk66; Nov 7, 2019 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Riverside plaza is directly across from the Lyric and perfect for gathering and watching opera. If an outdoor projection is good enough for the damn Vienna State Opera, it's good enough for the Lyric... It would be very cool to gather at Riverside, or along the bridges, or yes--in a boat--and take in a beautiful opera performance surrounded by some of the worlds greatest architecture.

I also think you overestimate the cultural cache of the Lyric, unfortunately.
No offense, but the Lyric cache? Really? So big they need a slide show in the back? SMH. I know of the Lyric cache. It has limits. (Btw, have you been to the opera lately? See what I mean?) Otherwise it would be bigger than it already is. And yes, lets cheese it down by doing 5 for a dollar shows out back.

Let me start again. I'm just saying, to really accentuate and glamorize the Lyric, you add to it's glamour by showcasing that beautiful back of a building. People by the thousands take river cruises at night in the summer. They see all of this wonderful architecture, mostly modern and amazing. Then they come up upon this grand old dame lit up like a jewel in a beautiful light and wonder what is that? "Oh, It's the classic Lyric Opera House. Built in...." That's all you need. Now that "cache" just got more cache. Because it is what's inside.

Last edited by bhawk66; Nov 7, 2019 at 2:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 12:34 AM

Alright. Maybe it could work. sigh

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:48 PM

Apropos of nothing, does anyone know what TUP did to get banned? I missed it.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:56 PM

I don’t think he’s banned. He was suspended for espousing strange viewpoints on western civilizations and city demographics. He just hasn’t been back since.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest