HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 3:04 PM

Sarnia

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 2:10 AM
bro

Smile

Last edited by bolognium; Sep 15, 2022 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 2:16 AM
Volatile Pacivist

^ Wow I think that's my favourite view of London I've ever seen! Very col.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 5:17 AM

Cool London shot! I don't think I have ever seen London's skyline taken from that angel.
Was it shot from Western?

On another note.........look at all those cranes!!!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 12:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

definitely from UWO lands. I would say near the research park, or above the Ontario hall residence.

Great shot.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 1:58 PM

That's giving me where Edmonton was in the 1980's vibe - size of buildings, volume, density, and spread. Even that one building with the vertical slats reminds me of Edmonton's CN Tower.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Sarnia

Sarnia always really surprises me given how small it is, less than 100k people in the CA and a long, largely depressed local economy and it still manages to have a dozen or so significant highrises.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:10 PM
I am the law!

Yep. High rises built post 2000. It's not just Sarnia either. It's all from two developers each spending $50 million a year building rentals and condos all across Southern Ontario for the last 20 years.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
That's giving me where Edmonton was in the 1980's vibe - size of buildings, volume, density, and spread. Even that one building with the vertical slats reminds me of Edmonton's CN Tower.
Kind of funny you should make the comparison since ssiguy above hates Edmonton urbanity with a passion, but loves loves loves London, Ontario to the core.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Yep. High rises built post 2000. It's not just Sarnia either. It's all from two developers each spending $50 million a year building rentals and condos all across Southern Ontario for the last 20 years.
York and Tricar?

London's building a ton of downtown apartments now as well, which it has largely been lacking until now, at least in the immediate core.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:19 PM
ハルウララ

London definitely has a few development U/C and proposed that are exciting for the core. Looking forward to visiting in a bit and seeing the difference.

Between what's going on there, in KWC, and Hamilton it feels like SW Ontario is very much on the urbanizing up these days. Great to see as a whole.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
London definitely has a few development U/C and proposed that are exciting for the core. Looking forward to visiting in a bit and seeing the difference.

Between what's going on there, in KWC, and Hamilton it feels like SW Ontario is very much on the urbanizing up these days. Great to see as a whole.
exactly my thoughts. SW Ontario could soon have a triangle of bustling mid-sized cities, all around the same size, within an hour or so of each other, particularly if these construction trends continue. Downtown Kitchener has already been basically completely transformed from a decade ago and London and Hamilton seem to be following.

Now if London could just get itself an LRT to match and the cities could be connected by some actually decent public transit.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
exactly my thoughts. SW Ontario could soon have a triangle of bustling mid-sized cities, all around the same size, within an hour or so of each other, particularly if these construction trends continue. Downtown Kitchener has already been basically completely transformed from a decade ago and London and Hamilton seem to be following.

Now if London could just get itself an LRT to match and the cities could be connected by some actually decent public transit.
Still a work in progress, I'd say.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 9:39 PM
bro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
definitely from UWO lands. I would say near the research park, or above the Ontario hall residence.

Great shot.
Yep, UWO lands. Brescia hill. The foliage his really grown in over the years. You used to be able to see a lot more from this angle. This was the view in 2011

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForTheHalibut View Post
Kind of funny you should make the comparison since ssiguy above hates Edmonton urbanity with a passion, but loves loves loves London, Ontario to the core.
Obviously Edmonton has a superior skyline to London but the view may look nice but it's what's on the ground that counts.

Edmonton's downtown doesn't have a solid block of a complete street which is why it is so isolating and sterile from a pedestrian and walkability perspective.

Everyone has their favorite and least favorite city and for me, Edmonton is my least favorite city over 200,000 in the whole country.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 2:17 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
York and Tricar?

London's building a ton of downtown apartments now as well, which it has largely been lacking until now, at least in the immediate core.
Drewlo and Tricar are active in the larger markets like London but, also places like Sarnia, Guelph and, Woodstock, etc.

The largest developer in Waterloo's student districts sold off the units as condos. London's building are rental tenure but, nearly all are registered condominiums. I wonder why?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 2:36 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Obviously Edmonton has a superior skyline to London but the view may look nice but it's what's on the ground that counts.

Edmonton's downtown doesn't have a solid block of a complete street which is why it is so isolating and sterile from a pedestrian and walkability perspective.

Everyone has their favorite and least favorite city and for me, Edmonton is my least favorite city over 200,000 in the whole country.
One should strive to be as impartial as possible especially in a place like SSP. I totally agree what's on the ground counts more than skyline. The two short blocks of heritage on Dundas do not represent Downtown London.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 12:43 AM
recession proof

I was in Hamilton yesterday walking around downtown - did I see a giant lineup for free food/bank? There was also some Alice in Wonderland weird thing going on with everyone walking around staring at their phones. Anyway, I got a kind of Edmonton vibe in Hamilton: edgy, gritty downtown with a lot of homeless/poverty, plenty of parking lots and ugly new condo towers going up.

A few weeks ago, I was thinking Calgary could be Mississauga + KW lol.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 2:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
There was also some Alice in Wonderland weird thing going on with everyone walking around staring at their phones.
The only place (in the whole world) this happens is in Hamilton.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 4:11 PM
I am the law!

It used to more of a Millennial or younger thing. Now, nearly everyone from 8 to 80 is staring at screens with ear buds while crossing the street. WALL-E! Where are you?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada