HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I don't see this being constructed anytime soon - rising interest rates, risk of recession, Chicago's current challenges. I do see it maybe being built in the next real estate upswing, perhaps in the 2030s...of course, just my conjecture, but I think many banks and developers would consider this a risk right now...

Only bright spot is There’s tons of capital waiting in the wings to lever-up the second rates start to drop. Markets currently pricing this in early 2024… I personally think it will take longer for rates to go down, but we’ll see.

Recession might actually mean this thing gets off the ground. Get a low rate loan after the fed cuts, then build it over 2-3 years, recession should be over by then. people are ready to move, and rates are still low enough to inflate condo prices. Tourism recovered to previous levels and ready for the new rosewood hotel or whatever they put in. and now you’re the only person with a product to deliver.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2023, 3:08 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
If the developers don't use these entitlements, they will lose them. Not sure when they would lose their approvals, but most likely before the 2030s.
I asked Chicago Cityscape (@ChiBuildings) on twitter and they said the approval expires May 2026 and the Zoning Administrator can grant a one-year extension. Seems timely to put this bid out now since there's always the possibility for more delays.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 12:28 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Recession might actually mean this thing gets off the ground. Get a low rate loan after the fed cuts, then build it over 2-3 years, recession should be over by then. people are ready to move, and rates are still low enough to inflate condo prices. Tourism recovered to previous levels and ready for the new rosewood hotel or whatever they put in. and now you’re the only person with a product to deliver.
Trump Tower was built during a recession, just sayin'

The circumstances were different but still.

Quote:
Seems like they're purposely keeping the height shorter than the Sears. Add 10 ft, boom tallest building in the city, would be a nice marketing point.
I agree but I don't know the reasoning behind it, out of respect or something?

Tallest building in Chicago sounds cooler than second tallest obviously...

Last edited by Zapatan; Mar 10, 2023 at 2:25 AM. Reason: …

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 1:40 AM

Adding a few feet just to get the title from Sears is an insult is why. If you go bigger then it, you go WAY bigger than it. Anything else is meaningless.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Adding a few feet just to get the title from Sears is an insult is why. If you go bigger then it, you go WAY bigger than it. Anything else is meaningless.
I would be happy with the roof height at 1400+ ft with a spire taking the final height to 1837 ft in a nod to the cities founding date. However I know this type of symbolism doesn’t fit with how the city operates.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
That's just nonsense.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 11:59 AM

Gotta think the will redesign the building and maybe make taller than the sears to get more sells

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 1:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 1:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm curious about the bidders list or prospective bidders.

Credit: https://www.constructionjournal.com/...787b4566c.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 2:48 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Do you know my old neighbors?? Lol! You're basically describing exactly what they did: sold their house in the burbs in the summer of 2021, moved into the St. Regis, which they bought with a pre-construction and pre-pandemic discount, and still have a comfortable, 4-bedroom house in Saugatauk! Eerie
But having spoken to them recently, theirs is not an isolated situation, many of their new neighbors in the St. Regis basically done the same thing: mid & upper middle income empty-nesters selling their suburban houses, all from different burbs and moving downtown full-time. Maybe it's just anecdotal, maybe it's an actual trend. But to your point, it's gonna be more Americans than foreign investors buying prime downtown condos, townhouses, etc.
Yeah it's a type! Downtown condos fit a certain ideal of city living, so they are appealing to former suburbanites (both young and old) who want a big change. Whereas the charms of Chicago neighborhoods tend to be more subtle. I have several coworkers that just won't consider leaving downtown/going north of North or west of Orleans. It's kind of like the New Yorkers who don't want to leave Manhattan.

A lot of downtown buyers tend to be empty nesters, but some are younger individuals or (wealthy) families looking for a place downtown, usually in addition to a larger house somewhere else. A lot of people have occasional business in downtown Chicago and they can justify the purchase that way instead of spending a lot of hotel nights.

Most buyers are Americans and not foreigners, so there's no need to bring xenophobia into discussion of these projects. Perhaps foreign investors are a significant portion of the NYC, Miami, Toronto, SF markets but not here.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 3:11 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah it's a type! Downtown condos fit a certain ideal of city living, so they are appealing to former suburbanites (both young and old) who want a big change. Whereas the charms of Chicago neighborhoods tend to be more subtle. I have several coworkers that just won't consider leaving downtown/going north of North or west of Orleans. It's kind of like the New Yorkers who don't want to leave Manhattan.

A lot of downtown buyers tend to be empty nesters, but some are younger individuals or (wealthy) families looking for a place downtown, usually in addition to a larger house somewhere else. A lot of people have occasional business in downtown Chicago and they can justify the purchase that way instead of spending a lot of hotel nights.

Most buyers are Americans and not foreigners, so there's no need to bring xenophobia into discussion of these projects. Perhaps foreign investors are a significant portion of the NYC, Miami, Toronto, SF markets but not here.
I'm assuming you meant in terms of the general discussion, not my post specifically, otherwise I am confused, my comment was not xenophobic

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm curious about the bidders list or prospective bidders.

Credit: https://www.constructionjournal.com/...787b4566c.html
Perhaps I am missing something but the bid document references "91 floors above grade".

To the comment about adding a spire, please no. The architecture on this one is not conducive.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

I totally get it.

I have my condo in Logan Square, but it's not my end all be all. Eventually I want to get another place when I have "F$ck You" money to do it, but I am often torn if I would want a newer construction 2/3 flat on the north side, or a condo in downtown.

Shit, if I had the money, I would totally sign up for a condo in this tower. If you guys want to donate to a good cause to get this thing off the ground, send me money and I can buy a unit in an effort to get presales going

You all can party at the place too.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 12:57 AM

Could somebody who is Savvy Photoshop Tribune East into this shot for daydreaming purposes?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 5:53 AM

I tried

HxQ5R4J by Oat Milk, on Flickr

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 11, 2023 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmilk View Post
Awesome!!! Great job with the interior lights.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 1:18 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDweller98 View Post
Proposed or approved towers with planned heights above 500 ft that received relevant updates in the last 6 months:

Tribune East Tower - 1,442 ft
725 W Randolph - 664 ft
655 W Madison - 604 ft
1200 W Fulton - ~600 ft
420 N May - 600 ft
1300 W Lake - 530 ft
1300 W Carroll - 514 ft
330 N Green - 503 ft
375 N Morgan - ~500 ft

I think it’s pretty cynical not to think at least one of these will be under construction by the end of 2024.
Very true, but perhaps more likely there may be nothing under construction over 800’ if Parcel I or 400 N Lake Shore don’t kick off by then. Chicago has had a pretty long streak constructing 800’+ lately. One Bennett Park broke ground first in 2016 to start this latest run.

I’m optimistic that one of the three will start by the end of 2024, but all of them have had their timelines pushed back so there’s no guarantees. Would be amazing if Tribune East was the one to keep the streak going.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 4:01 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I'm assuming you meant in terms of the general discussion, not my post specifically, otherwise I am confused, my comment was not xenophobic
Nope, I was not accusing you of xenophobia... but there's a lot of hysterical anger at "Russian oligarchs" and "Chinese money laundering" in the online housing discourse.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 2:45 AM

So glad to see this proposal revived! It will be a fantastic addition to the Chicago skyline if built!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 12:09 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I wonder if the pricing for the residential units (condos) will be similar to St.Regis (Vista). Also what kind of potential rates for the rentals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals