HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:50 AM

I enjoy the flexibility of being able to work from home, office, or anywhere I happen to want or need to be, but I much prefer to be in the office and go in five days a week. I get cabin fever too easily and home life is either too distracting or too isolating. I also enjoy my coworkers and don't think we'd be nearly as good at our jobs if all collaboration were done completely over Teams. It's a bit hard to explain but having the people you work with and rely on down the hall, in my opinion, is more efficient for getting things done and doing them well. It always feels like an ordeal to video call someone and things can get lost in translation or be too abbreviated with the chat function.

That said there is one job where the conditions were such that if I were still there I would opt to work from home as often as possible. Back during the recession of the late '00s I was fresh out of college and accepted a job in rural Iowa at a firm located in a metal building on the literal edge of a farming town of 7,000 people. I wasn't about to live in that town so I decided I'd commute from exurbia of a medium sized metro area, which was still 40+ miles away. I did not particularly enjoy the people, the work I was doing, or the long commute on a rural highway and under those circumstances would have chosen a nearly 100% WFH schedule.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 6:48 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

It's nice to have the flexibility to WFH, but the office is much more productive for me. Not to mention having to do things in lab or field work or talking to / helping grad students.

If I had to drive for a commute I'd probably hate it though.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 7:20 AM

Not everyone works in an office or even has wfh as an option. I personally can't stand how dead the streets of Chicago have become. Wfh kills the vibrancy of the city and harms small businesses. Long commutes are stupid though. More people should live close to their jobs and get the f out of their houses. I see nothing but schlumpy sweatpants people on work calls on their cellphones and Amazon, UPS, Fed Ex people delivering shit to them during the day. It's sad. That said I totally understand wanting to be home if you have a young family but that is temporary.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
After nearly 3 mostly unsatisfying years as a soldier in the WFH army, I just landed a new job down in the loop, 5 days/week in the office!

I can't wait to have daily interaction with co-workers again.

I can't wait to have an office to go to again.

I can't wait to have a commute again.

I can't wait to live in a home that isn't also where I "work".

I know that LOTS of people seem to really love WFH, but man was it not a route that set me up for success. It took a massive toll on my mental health.
That's amazing, Steely! I fortunately had only 3 weeks of WFH as opposed to colleagues that only returned on the late 2021, after almost two years. We're meant to be out there, not trapped in our cave.

And as we're in an urban-enthusiasts forum, WFH is a nightmare. It would kill/ruin cities much faster than cars did.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:20 PM

Welcome back to the Loop Steely. . . I completely agree with your sentiment. . . I was thankful to get back to the office and be with my co-workers. . . much of why I have been at the same firm for so long is the PEOPLE. . . if it wasn't for them I would have bounced a long time ago. . . I work 1 day a week out of our corporate office and 4 days a week out of the datacenter southwest of the Loop. . .

So at least 1 day I get to catch up on the goings on of my coworkers even though many of them still work full time from home or have moved out of the region to work permanently from home. . .

My buddy works for Google in the West Loop and has to come in to the office (company policy). . . he takes Amtrak 3 days a week from Sturtevant and we get to hang out more because of that. . . we'll grab dinner and I'll drop him off at Union Station for him to catch the last train out. . . glad companies are requiring some sort of in house presence. . .

I think a hybrid work OPTION is healthy for companies to adopt or simply to be flexible for people who have things come up. . . but in retrospect historians might look back at the pandemic as a weird anomaly that changed work habits forever. . .

. . . for better or worse

. . .

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would look forward to a commute.
for me, there's a MASSIVE difference between a driving commute and a walking, bike, or transit commute.

i utterly abhor driving in chicago rush hour traffic, and in no way shape or form would I ever look forward to a daily driving commute in that shit.

I even turned down a potential office job out in suburban Des Plaines entirely because it was out in suburban Des Plaines. not gonna do it.

but the new job that i start on monday down in the loop is a super-easy one-seat L commute for me. we live a 1 minute walk from a brown line stop up in Lincoln Square and my new office is about a 30 second walk from a brown line stop in the loop. it's about as door-to-door as transit gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Kids get dropped off at 8am and pickup is at 430pm
my kids are old enough to walk themselves the one block to and from their school, so that entirely removes a big daily logistics task from our lives.

My wife is a self-employed introvert who LOVES WFH, so she'll now have the house entirely to herself from 8:15am to 3:15pm every weekday.

i am so, SO glad we bought our "forever home" steps away from an L stop and 1 block away from a good K-8 school.

my "be prepared" boy scout instincts served me well.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 10, 2023 at 4:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkris View Post
I see nothing but schlumpy sweatpants people on work calls on their cellphones and Amazon, UPS, Fed Ex people delivering shit to them during the day. It's sad.

I don't believe that a commute is "wasted" time at all, especially since errands are often combined with the commute.

When I go near my city's university at night, I can't believe how dead it is. 40,000 students and almost nobody walking anywhere. The students aren't going out to bars or having parties to the extent they used to. No restaurant is open past midnight.

What are these people doing? I asked and somebody currently in college said the student have food delivered to their dorms and apartments at 2am instead of going to 24-hour diners.

They also take Uber when they go to parties. When I was in college, huge numbers of people could be seen walking from party to party at 1am. You'd run into people and hear about a different party and maybe change your plans.

These young people aren't going to have any stories. They went from being teenagers to being 55.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:11 PM
Ex Houstonian

I go to the office for my current job 3-4 times a week. I've worked from home since 2018, didnt get to know any co workers at any job hardly but I work in an industry wherein you lose your job about every 6 months to a year due to the shit nature of oil and gas.

I started this new job in December and after not having to socially interact with people at an office it was pretty awkward. It's like I forgot how to interact with people. However, its better now.

I'd much rather work at the office 3 days a week than completely WFH but I would hate to be stuck at an office 5 days a week.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:11 PM

Been a hybrid worker for years now and I love it. Typically I'm in the office 2-3 days out of the week for three weeks out of a month. I just feel far more productive at the office than at home. I have a lot of projects carried out by technicians so much easier for me to provide direction and guidance in-person than on-line; just can't underestimate the person-to-person interaction. Plus, I find that much of the discussion that goes on after a video conference (off-line) provide some nuances to activities that are often lost on the calls for some reason. I try to restrict my work at home solely to report writing, which can be done at a more leisurely pace.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:14 PM

Quote:
for me, there's a MASSIVE difference between a driving commute and a walking, bike, or transit commute.
I like my driving commute, because it's relatively short. My job is 8 miles from where I live, and my hours are 7am-4pm. I don't even take the freeway. Depending on the traffic lights, my commute to work only takes 17-20 minutes, and my commute home takes 25-30 minutes. All this time, I've been going into the office.

My partner's job is only 3.2 miles away from where we live, and he's on a hybrid WFH schedule. During the height of the pandemic, he was WFH 5 days a week.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:17 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
Interaction with coworkers is a lot more than just meetings. There are countless times when work neighbours can have an informal chat about some minor issue that would probably never happen remotely. Even just getting to know your coworkers can make it easier to get things out of people. Not to mention lasting friendships - I have several good friends from past workplaces who I never would have gotten to know well working remotely.

Some people work better at home, some don't. Different strokes.
LOL I said these virtual business platforms are much more efficient use of time than in person meetings. These platforms are also sufficient for communication between two co workers. It's a state of mind that one needs to be physical swapping oxygen. The disadvantage of working virtually from home is not being able to hang out with co workers outside the office. However, the advantage of work from home is that one has more opportunity to hang out with neighbours. It's a wash.

Work from home is not ideal if you're inclined to sit in front of a screen wearing pajamas all day. Pandemic has passed. Get out of the house. My neighbourhood much more vibrant now. There were always people walking about looking for a chat. It's blown up since the vaccines came out. Sitting on front porches has replaced the backyard patio. Vibrancy has shifted from business districts to neighbourhoods. I don't think that's a bad thing

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Feb 10, 2023 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
Been a hybrid worker for years now and I love it. Typically I'm in the office 2-3 days out of the week for three weeks out of a month. I just feel far more productive at the office than at home. I have a lot of projects carried out by technicians so much easier for me to provide direction and guidance in-person than on-line; just can't underestimate the person-to-person interaction. Plus, I find that much of the discussion that goes on after a video conference (off-line) provide some nuances to activities that are often lost on the calls for some reason. I try to restrict my work at home solely to report writing, which can be done at a more leisurely pace.
Yeah, hybrid is more ideal to me, but even with hybrid I often find myself going in 5 days per week just because I like the psychological break between home and office. Mondays and Fridays are good for quiet time in the office because they are usually empty now anyway.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 4:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I like the psychological break between home and office.
same. i guess I'm just not self-disciplined enough to be a very effective WFH'er.

too many distractions and opportunities to procrastinate around the house for me.

and commuting helps me switch from "play" to "work" mental modes.

i've come to realize that a more rigid routine and a clean break are beneficial to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I like my driving commute, because it's relatively short. My job is 8 miles from where I live, and my hours are 7am-4pm. I don't even take the freeway. Depending on the traffic lights, my commute to work only takes 17-20 minutes, and my commute home takes 25-30 minutes. All this time, I've been going into the office.
that's cool that you like your driving commute, i just would never sign up for one because i hate city driving in general. that's why i very intentionally do as little of it as posible.

i just google mapped a driving commute from our home to my new office down in the loop, and it says the time range to drive those 8 miles is typically 25 - 50 minutes at morning rush hour.

no way, jose.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:15 PM

I think hybrid is the best model.

I do enjoy my days work from home because I can focus and instead of getting up to chat with coworkers and I can do laundry and small chores during breaks.

But I make the best of my 3 days working in the loop. I have nicer lunches, walk to the park and happy hours with friends. Can’t imagine being full remote 5 days a week, it would be depressing. I moved to Chicago for the whole point of working in a big city and all it had to offer. Plus I can’t imagine anyone who just graduated from college starting off in a studio apartment full remote.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 7:35 PM

I prefer working in the office mostly because I like to keep my personal life and work life separate and I find it difficult to work at home because I get easily distracted and will take a nap, do laundry, or watch tv when I should be working.

Right now my situation is perfect, I go into the office but it’s mostly empty on most days. I can focus because there aren’t a lot of other people around distracting me and I’m at a desk with just my work stuff with no way to easily start doing personal things during work hours.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:12 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
rtunity to hang out with neighbours. It's a wash.

Work from home is not ideal if you're inclined to sit in front of a screen wearing pajamas all day. Pandemic has passed. Get out of the house. My neighbourhood much more vibrant now. There were always people walking about looking for a chat. It's blown up since the vaccines came out. Sitting on front porches has replaced the backyard patio. Vibrancy has shifted from business districts to neighbourhoods. I don't think that's a bad thing

I feel the same way and have noticed the same about central Toronto neighbourhoods outside the immediate core. Lots of businesses like coffee shops and specialty retailers seem to be doing better than ever in my area. I'm sure it isn't quite the same if you're in a far-flung suburb, though some of my in-laws in Lorne Park in Mississauga (definitely not far-flung) say they are better friends with neighbours and visit more local businesses than before.

I'm also the type that never did the pajamas / stay inside all day thing. From pretty much the first week of the pandemic I forced myself to put on jeans when I got up and at least look decent. Also started going on big walks whenever I had time - even when it was completely deserted outside. I'm pretty good at maintaining a schedule so I can see it being different for people who aren't.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 9:18 PM
arf

Quote:
After nearly 3 mostly unsatisfying years as a soldier in the WFH army, I just landed a new job down in the loop, 5 days/week in the office!

I can't wait to have daily interaction with co-workers again.

I can't wait to have an office to go to again.

I can't wait to have a commute again.

I can't wait to live in a home that isn't also where I "work".

I know that LOTS of people seem to really love WFH, but man was it not a route that set me up for success. It took a massive toll on my mental health.
Congrats on the change of scenery.

I can't do work from home. I'm trying this afternoon for a bit, but it's impossible with three kids. It really is impossible. I have been firmly non-WFH as soon as it was possible to get back to the office.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 10:22 PM

Nice! I'm a little jealous. I technically work from an office in Fulton Market but my specific team is either in New York or fully remote so I don't have much of a social/team bonding/etc reason to go in. It doesn't help that getting to Fulton Market from Edgewater is a nightmare no matter the mode of transit. I do get to travel to the New York office every other month or so and it's great getting to work side by side and gossip over some after work beers. Because of that social time in the office every few months we are a fairly close-knit team.

I don't understand how people can be 100% fully remote and never meet their co-workers. Sounds awful to me.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 10:48 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

it used to be my spouse was the only one occasionally in the office during the pandemic as we lived nearby. this a block busting building in hudson square of well over 1M sq ft. then the big boss would come in once in a blue and it would be him and her and building staff and thats it. this out of a worldwide company of over 20k employees.

a while ago young staff started to come in on wednesdays on their own so they could meet.

lately they kind of want them in three days a week just recently, but its not hard and fast rule.

the only ones who have not come in the office at all are the uppermost staff. they have big home offices in connecticut and the like, why should they, right?

so the young people are showing up dressing like shit, i mean like tank tops, torn jeans look and off the shoulder and all that. its not even business casual, more like business inappropriate. my spouse is appalled lol, but anyway she likes to time going in to include mondays and fridays when they arent there.

but yeah things have picked back up and hopefully the hudson square businesses, meager as they were before covid anyway, will come back. google and disney media developments are being built and on the way too, so that will bump it way up around there soon.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 4:42 AM
Resu Deretsiger

I have never had a job that could be WFH and the short period I was in the office we used SIPRNet, so even then I wouldn't be able to work from home.
-I think it could be called an intranet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions