HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 2:10 AM
BANNED

I want to see that Jacksonville bridge again before I make a definitive decision.

Preferably at night when it's all light up.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
I want to see that Jacksonville bridge again before I make a definitive decision.

Preferably at night when it's all light up.
It may not be as big as NYC, but there's something special here. Definitely a top 5 best skyline worldwide.

The Main Street Bridge (John T. Alsop Jr. Bridge), Jacksonville, Florida, USA by takasphoto.com, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
No better bang for the buck out there than bananas.
Better believe it. Why, one can get a decent-sized bunch for a mere buck-fifty. I eat a couple every morning.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 4:56 AM

San Jose does have kind of a cool skyline at night.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 10:36 PM

Recent nice recent shot of Montreal

Last edited by Nite; Mar 6, 2023 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 2:42 AM

Boston has never looked more impressive than it does on this video. Watch it 4k on the biggest/best screen you have.

EDIT: I didn't know how to post more than just a link before, but here is the actual embedded video.
Video Link

Last edited by DZH22; Mar 7, 2023 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 4:14 AM

Last edited by Nite; Mar 7, 2023 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 7:28 PM

The Future is Tall: here’s my Future Skyline pano of downtown T-Dot from Bloor-Yorkville to the Lake. Includes new proposals, re-designs, height changes etc. For those not from the city, this is a view looking east across Humber Bay.

Obviously a best case scenario (lots are in the proposed/approved but not started pipeline) but about half of the new stuff added to the render is under construction or in site prep/demolition ... including 3 of the tallest seen here. Lots more hidden behind/unseen from this angle ;-)

SCROLL >>>>>>

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 8:47 PM

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 8:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Montreal is crushing it. Definitely a top-tener.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 2:24 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Montreal needs one or two stand out towers. 1000 de La Gauchetière is probably the only one with some recognition outside MTL. Besides the Olympic stadium.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
It may not be as big as NYC, but there's something special here. Definitely a top 5 best skyline worldwide.

The Main Street Bridge (John T. Alsop Jr. Bridge), Jacksonville, Florida, USA by takasphoto.com, on Flickr
The Wells Fargo tower unironically is my favorite American skyscraper and its got a tropical atrium too!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 1:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Montreal needs one or two stand out towers. 1000 de La Gauchetière is probably the only one with some recognition outside MTL. Besides the Olympic stadium.
PVM (place ville marie, the cruciform building) is famous, and was designed by I.M. Pei. It was once the tallest building in the British Commonwealth.

Quote:
At the time of construction, the main tower was known as the tallest skyscraper in the Commonwealth, and was the third tallest skyscraper on earth outside the United States.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 5:40 PM

The Athens of America. The 2 cranes on the far right of the first pic mark the final major tower of the boom, the 677' (206.4m) South Station Tower. Thanks to KZ over at Archboston for taking these pictures.

DJI_0614-2 by Phil, on Flickr

DJI_0609-1 by Phil, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 8:14 PM

Nice pictures of Boston and Montreal but neither is a top 10 skyline for the sake of this discussion. They have excellent urban form and some interesting towers, but the outline of the buildings in the sky should be the determining factor, with appealing facade colors & textures and natural scenery being supporting factors.

My list looks something like this:
1. Chicago
2. NYC
3. SF / LA (tie)
5. Toronto
6. Seattle
7. Philly
8. Houston
9. Miami
10. Dallas / Minneapolis (tie)

Next tier:
Atlanta
Charlotte
Boston
Montreal
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Vancouver
Cincy
Nashville
Calgary
Denver
Detroit

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
Nice pictures of Boston and Montreal but neither is a top 10 skyline for the sake of this discussion. They have excellent urban form and some interesting towers, but the outline of the buildings in the sky should be the determining factor, with appealing facade colors & textures and natural scenery being supporting factors.

My list looks something like this:
1. Chicago
2. NYC
3. SF / LA (tie)
5. Toronto
6. Seattle
7. Philly
8. Houston
9. Miami
10. Dallas / Minneapolis (tie)

Next tier:
Atlanta
Charlotte
Boston
Montreal
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Vancouver
Cincy
Nashville
Calgary
Denver
Detroit
I find it hard to take list serious for putting SF and LA as better skyline than Toronto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz2Q-wpNqj0

Last edited by Nite; Mar 25, 2023 at 10:32 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 9:41 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
I find it hard to take list serious for putting SF and LA as better skyline than Toronto

It's an opinion, not a list of the biggest/tallest skylines.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 9:48 PM

Yup, one is even entitled to believe Jacksonville has the best skyline after Manhattan and Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 9:52 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Yup, one is even entitled to believe Jacksonville has the best skyline after Manhattan and Chicago.

Which starts to get a bit ridiculous (like that guy who ranked San Jose at the 6th best skyline or whatever) as subjectivity only goes so far; but still, I can certainly see how one could make a justifiable aesthetic judgment that San Francisco or Los Angeles have better skylines than Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2023, 9:54 PM
Volatile Pacivist

It may not be a majority view but i don't see anything outrageous about it. Toronto has a lot more highrises but its tallest buildings aren't really any taller than theirs. In fact, it doesn't actually have a completed building taller than their tallest yet. And most of its additional highrise count comes from residential with balconies which some people don't care for compared to office buildings because the balconies can make them appear less sleek. And beyond that, the only big advantage Toronto has is the CN tower, but if someone doesn't care for its aesthetics then it doesn't help much.

At the same time, LA and SF have geography that's more appealing to some people and can make for more dramatic skyline pictures. With LA you can get zoomed images that give it a mountain backdrop, while SF has tall bridges and prominent hills. It really comes down to how much importance one places on having a huge number of buildings, the height of buildings, and the style/layout of buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions