HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 10:57 PM

The Beverly Hills house that Busy Siegel was murdered in is up for sale.

From TMZ:

BUGSY SIEGEL HOUSE WHERE HE WAS MURDERED HITS MARKET FOR $17M

12/13/2022 1:42 PM PT

Link to article and all pictures: https://www.tmz.com/2022/12/13/house...ered-for-sale/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 4:32 AM

Not my city, but the Evanston, IL house used in "Sixteen Candles" sold for $1.6 million.

From Illinois Patch:

Evanston 'Sixteen Candles' House Sold For 43% Higher Than 4 Years Ago
The home of Molly Ringwald's character in John Hughes' 1984 directorial debut sold for more than $1.625 million.

Posted Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 2:28 pm CT
Updated Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 11:25 am CT

EVANSTON, IL — The northwest Evanston house used as filming location for the 1984 coming-of-age film "Sixteen Candles" sold earlier this year for more than 98 percent of its sales price and more than 43 percent above its sales price from four years earlier.

The 5,000-square foot Georgian at 3022 Payne Street was used as the home of "Sixteen Candles" protagonist Sam Baker, played by breakout star Molly Ringwald in John Hughes' directorial debut.

In a 2018 article revisiting her work with Hughes, Ringwald said Hughes told her that he found her headshot while looking through photograph of local actors, decided to write the movie about the girl he imagined her to be and filmed it in the Chicago suburbs the summer after she completed ninth grade.

Before going on the market earlier this year with a $1.65 million asking price, the house had changed hands most recently in 2018 for $1.35 million, when it was purchased by sellers Jonathan and Lisa Levy. According to county property records, they sold it for $1,625,500 in June to Marianne Miller and Aaron Reichlin.

Listing agent Emily Destafano said the Levys renovated the house while seeking to keep its character intact, she told Elite Street, adding a new slate roof, new first-floor windows and second-floor air conditioning, which accounted for the higher sales price.

Address: 3022 Payne St., Evanston
Built: 1931
Lot Size: 0.3 acres
Square feet: 5,000
Bedrooms: 5
Bathrooms: 4 full, 2 partial
Sellers represented by: Emily Destefano, @properties Evanston
Buyers represented by: Dave Yocum, Redfin Corp.
First Listed: May 5 for $1.65 million
Sale Closed: June 24 for $1.6255 million

Link: https://patch.com/illinois/evanston/...er-4-years-ago

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 7:13 PM

One of my friends from work just paid off his house in five years:

He bought the house for $70,000, right before prices started increasing in Cincinnati. This was also right before Wall St. investors came to town and started buying up houses like this by the dozen.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 9:55 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

^ I also bought my house in Chicago in 2017 for a deep discount. So glad I did.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2022, 1:27 AM
Pay it Forward

Not for sale but this house in Corona Heights, SF, is just lovely.

Video Link

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 8:04 PM

From Dirt:

Striking Louis duPuget Millar-Designed Craftsman Up for Grabs in Pasadena

By Wendy Bowman
January 13, 2023 9:35 am PT

Erik Grammer

Price: $2.5 million
Year: 1909
Architect: Louis duPuget Millar
Specs: 2,850 square feet, 6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms
Lot Size: 0.27 acres

Back in the early 1900s, Irish architect Louis duPuget Millar — best known for his distinctly British-looking homes, many overlooking the park-like Arroyo Seco — was commissioned to create this eye-catching residence for Telephone & Telegraph Co. executive J.C. Brainard, a partner in the development of Pasadena’s affluent Prospect Park neighborhood, as well as the very first president of the Pasadena Board of Realtors.

Subsequently owned by the late painter and printmaker Leonard Edmondson, the place is currently the property of his children — including ceramist Stan Edmondson — and has been used as a communal gathering spot for artists since the ’50s. Now the historic “transitional Craftsman” is available on the open market for the first time in more than six decades, asking $2.5 million.

Resting on a deep, flat parcel spanning over a quarter-acre — in Northwest Pasadena’s Prospect Park neighborhood, tucked away in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains — the attractive shingled and brick-accented structure features six bedrooms and four baths in 2,850 square feet of two-level living space, plus a basement; and though it’s been well-maintained and updated through the years, there still are some tweaks to be made to bring it to perfection.

“This historically significant neighborhood is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful in the Los Angeles area,” says Peter Martocchio, who holds the listing with David Goldberg, both of Sotheby’s International Realty. “The home, as beautiful as it already is, has the potential to be a standout in the neighborhood. Having been in the same family for 65 years, it’s very indicative of how long owners live in this neighborhood and how infrequently the homes come on the market.”

A tree-shaded driveway tucked off to the side of the house empties out at a detached garage in the rear of the property; and out front, a lushly landscaped lawn serves as a lovely backdrop to the covered front porch. Once inside, an entry foyer with built-in bench seating flows to a living room displaying a wood-burning fireplace with a brick surround on one side, and formal dining room on the other — both adorned with quarter-sawn oak floors and coffered ceilings.

Other main-level highlights include a guest suite featuring a three-quarter bath, and brightly wallpapered studio/garden room that spills out to a terrace. The “whimsically retro” kitchen sports a colorful geometric-tiled floor and blue-and-white cabinetry, and is outfitted with stainless appliances, a vintage range and wood-clad butler’s pantry just around the corner.

Painted a dark green shade, the curving central staircase heads upstairs to five additional bedrooms, including a master suite displaying the original maple floors, French doors leading out to wraparound balcony, a walk-in closet and bath. And though there’s no pool outdoors, there is ample room for one; but for right now, the backyard is mostly laced with numerous spots for al fresco lounging and entertaining.

Link to article and pictures: https://www.dirt.com/gallery/more-di...t_003_highres/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 9:03 PM

She's still Jenny from the block.

From NBC Los Angeles:

Photos: Jennifer Lopez Puts $42.5M Mansion Up For Sale in Los Angeles Neighborhood

The house has 12 bathrooms, a theater for 30 people and an infinity pool, among other luxurious details.

Love don't cost a thing, but the same can't be said for Jennifer López's mansion in Los Angeles' Bel-Air neighborhood.

The property in the 1400 block of Stone Canyon Road, on a 7.86-acre lot, is up for sale. Designed by architect Samuel Marx, the mansion offers "a unique lifestyle impossible to duplicate," according to information listed on Redfin, a portal where the property has an initial value of $42.5 million.

Or, if you prefer, the estimated monthly payment is $264,594.

Among the various amenities are an infinity pool, terraces with private gardens and waterfalls, a theater with seating for 30 people, and an outdoor amphitheater that can accommodate 100 people.

The three-story house has nine bedrooms, 12.5 bathrooms, a gourmet kitchen, gym, private spa and parking spaces for 30 cars. In addition, "all rooms open onto large terraces with exuberant views," according to information on the property for sale.

JLo bought the mansion in 2016 for $28 million, according to TMZ.

Credit: Tyler Hogan

Clcik the link for the article, more photos, and video of her house: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l..._3qr7ynYQy73JM

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 3:32 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

264 NW Macleay Blvd, Portland, OR 97210 - 5 beds/5.5 baths
by Redfin

Listed by Kendall Bergstrom-Delancellotti • ELEETE Real Estate Home Facts
Source: https://www.redfin.com/OR/Portland/2...gn=share_sheet

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 2:46 AM

I love, love, love this house.

From Tracy Do, Coldwell Banker Realty.

2227 ALCYONA DRIVE | HOLLYWOOD HILLS
Midcentury Post-and-Beam by Kemper Nomland Jr.

Offered at: $6,500/mo
Type: Single Family / Bedrooms: 3 / Baths: 2
Living Area: 1,552 Square Ft. / Lot Size: 6,639 Square Ft.

Available for lease in the Hollywood Hills, a rare opportunity to live in statement midcentury modern architecture. The post-and-beam circa 1951 by Kemper Nomland Jr. masterfully integrates interior and exterior spaces in an authentic and lovingly preserved residence showcasing extensive custom woodwork in the ceiling, wall paneling and built-ins. Clerestory windows and sliding glass panes create interplay with tranquil outdoor areas featuring design by renowned landscape architect Garret Echkbo. Enjoy the warm, rustic surroundings of cork and linoleum flooring and many original elements including a brick fireplace, vintage stove, built-in desks and storage. Three bedrooms and a den make it easy to achieve life/work balance amid lush natural surroundings and gorgeous canyon views. Tucked away you are just minutes from coffee, dining, groceries and nightlife at Clark Street Diner, Oaks Gourmet, Gelson’s, Lily’s Bar and more. Scenic Lake Hollywood hiking trails are within easy reach.

Link: https://tracydo.com/2227-alcyona-drive-hollywood-hills/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:24 PM

I'm with you. I love mid century moderns / post and beam

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 4:09 PM
Registered Ugly

I bet that house is drafty as hell.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I bet that house is drafty as hell.
It's funny that you mention that, since the style was emulated throughout the country, but it lost its elegance with thick double-paned windows and the lines of caulk around the edges necessary in northern climates.

The 1950s houses in my area often has a "breezeway", which was a covered porch between the garage and the house. Some people closed these in, but they didn't have central air, so they were cold as hell in the winter.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Feb 6, 2023 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
It's funny that you mention that, since the style was emulated throughout the country, but it loses its elegance with thick double-paned windows and lines of caulk around the edges.

The 1950s houses in my area often has a "breezeway", which was a covered porch between the garage and the house. Some people closed these in, but they didn't have central air, so they were cold as hell in the winter.
We have those in Miami in houses built in the 1960s too. You would have the front door which opened into the outdoor courtyard/breezeway with the house on one side and the garage on other. Over the years many have converted the garages into separate living spaces/guest areas which you have to go outside to reach. Here are 2 side by side Miami examples:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.5866...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
We have those in Miami in houses built in the 1960s too. You would have the front door which opened into the outdoor courtyard/breezeway with the house on one side and the garage on other. Over the years many have converted the garages into separate living spaces/guest areas which you have to go outside to reach. Here are 2 side by side Miami examples:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.5866...7i16384!8i8192

Here is an almost identical "breezeway" house in Ohio:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2122...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I love, love, love this house.

Great house and I love that style. This one in particular is enhanced by the setting amongst those trees with the view.

I always wonder about window cleaning with these types of houses. Must be a fairly pricey constant expense to keep it looking nice.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 7:09 PM

Old water tower for sale for $30,000:
https://www.sibcycline.com/listing/2...twood-OH-45238

This thing keeps being sold and resold every few years, nobody does anything with it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Old water tower for sale for $30,000:
https://www.sibcycline.com/listing/2...twood-OH-45238

This thing keeps being sold and resold every few years, nobody does anything with it.
Interesting. And it's just sitting there? It looks like it's also being used as a cell phone tower.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Interesting. And it's just sitting there? It looks like it's also being used as a cell phone tower.
Here is the transfer history:
https://wedge.hcauditor.org/view/re/...2022/transfers

The current owner got it through an auditor's deed, meaning the previous owner stopped paying taxes and the county took ownership. At the property auctions, there were no bidders (I think the new buyer has to pay the outstanding property tax). I think it has to go through three of those and then after that the auditor quite literally gives a property away with a clear title.

I know of a guy who got a vacant lot with an auditor's deed, held it for about five years, then lucked out and sold it for $225,000 when a soccer stadium's footprint overlapped his lot. But most of the time the lots are in completely random unbuildable hillsides, meaning they're impossible to sell, and so the whole process repeats itself.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2023, 8:16 PM

From KTLA5:

California counties where it’s cheaper to build than buy

by: Travis Schlepp
Posted: Mar 17, 2023 / 06:00 AM PDT
Updated: Mar 17, 2023 / 06:47 AM PDT

A study released last month revealed surprising details about the cost-benefit of building a home in California.

The study, published by StorageCafe and Yardi, a California-based real estate and property management software company, found that California might actually be one of the best states in the nation to build a dream home versus buying an existing one.

The data showed that it might be cheaper, around $200,000, to build than buy.

The revelation is probably an interesting new piece of information for those who have been struggling to get into the housing market, but for others, the data may have created more questions than it gave answers.

On the surface, it makes some semblance of sense: California is notoriously the most expensive state in the union, and there’s a stark lack of homes on the market. While prices of homes have skyrocketed since the coronavirus pandemic began three years ago, land prices in the nation’s third-largest state might not have increased at the same scale.

But does that necessarily mean that it’s cheaper to build than buy? Well, it depends on where you want to lay down that foundation.

We asked StorageCafe to look deeper into the numbers and break them down on a county-by-county basis. Here’s what they found:

Of 20 counties that the company analyzed (20 because that was the limitation of the available data), building is more affordable than buying in 62% of them.

The data team looked at the price of land per median lot size and inflation-adjusted county-level costs of making a contract with home builders. On top of that, 10% was added to account for administrative costs and fees, including the permitting process and legal fees. Then they compared the total cost of construction against house prices in the area.

In total, 13 of the 20 counties analyzed fell into the "cheaper-to-build" category. Savings are particularly robust in Southern California, data suggests.

The biggest savings, however, come in Santa Clara County where the cost of buying an existing home teeters around $1.6 million or more. Building in that section of Silicon Valley could actually be as much as three times cheaper than building. The price to build in Santa Clara County comes in around $545,000, according to StorageCafe. That's a savings of more than $1 million.

"The construction price includes the price of land ($311K/acre), adjusted by the median lot size and also for inflation," the report states.

Orange County comes in at second on the cost-benefit rankings of the analyzed counties.

With the average cost of an O.C. home being around $1.3 million, building a home comes in at a price tag of about $717,000 — $494,000 less. It's important to note that building a home in Orange County is still more expensive than the average cost of buying a home in California as a whole.

Neighboring Los Angeles County pales in comparison to the discounts offered by the O.C., but it still offers massive savings for those looking to build. While the average home price in Los Angeles County comes in at around $900,000, starting from scratch can cost around $345,000 less — a price tag of about $554,000 when you factor in land prices, labor and other costs. The average lot size of a home in L.A. County is about on par with the national average.

Santa Barbara County, home to celebrity getaways and Southern California wine country, also comes out high on the savings list. Building in Santa Barbara County is about $428,000 cheaper. The cost of land tends to be high, around $211,000 per average lot, but the average lot size is larger than the average lot size across the state.

Further south, homes in San Diego County go for an average asking price of about $895,000. Building can cost about a half-million, but it has some of the most affordable land prices in the state, meaning it might be the best value entirely for those wanting to build and build big.

While the majority of counties analyzed show that there is untapped potential to build, those savings don't apply everywhere.

In particular, counties where home prices are already lower than the California average don't offer those same benefits. Imperial, Kings, Kern and Tulare counties offer more than $100,000 in savings if you buy an existing home rather than build a new one.

[...]

John Yeressian is a real estate professor at El Camino College in L.A. County.

He says that it's important to remember that, while it's almost always better to build than buy, it has become increasingly difficult to find open space in large metro areas like L.A., San Francisco and San Diego.

"Land in the metro areas is extremely scarce and the challenges to build have become increasingly more difficult with California's 'Green Code,' which requires all buildings to become 'net zero' by 2030," Yeressian told StorageCafe. "This has added construction costs to any land-build projects. Thus, even if you can find land in the metro areas, which is extremely challenging, you will have to overcome the added expenses allocated to new construction."

He adds that the cost of building has actually gone up in recent years as many contractors have moved out of state to assist insurance companies in building homes in Texas and Florida, which have suffered from devastating hurricanes, leaving many homes destroyed and in need of replacement.

Yeressian said that California's metro areas will remain under intense demand pressure unless there's a significant economic recession. He also highlighted a recent survey which found that 1 in 5 Americans would like to call L.A. home, meaning demand likely isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

To see a full list of the 20 counties analyzed as part of the study, and to read more about the methodology used to compile the data, click here.

Link to KTLA5 article: https://ktla.com/news/california/the...uild-than-buy/

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Mar 18, 2023 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 1:50 PM

A government agency in my city with no history managing housing got a lot of free publicity last year by...getting into housing. The project has turned into a disaster:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinna..._6&cx_artPos=9

Quote:
It’s been more than a year since the Port of Greater Cincinnati Development Authority took the risky step of borrowing to buy a $14.5 million, 194-home portfolio of single-family houses, removing the possibility that Wall Street-backed investors would buy them and raise the rent.

What the Port found after it started examining the homes, which it calls its CARES portfolio, was significantly different than it expected, but it still hopes to eventually sell many of them to low-income, first-time homebuyers to help them start to build the generational wealth that often comes with homeownership.

For starters, the quasi-governmental agency believed about 10 of the homes were vacant. The number is actually closer to 64, meaning the Port is collecting less rent that can be used to service the bonds it sold to buy the portfolio.

And the homes themselves are in worse condition than expected, said Phil Denning, the Port’s executive vice president. The Port got to see about 30 of them before it closed on the deal. They may have been the best looking ones.

The Port had hoped to spend about $25,000 rehabilitating the homes, but the average so far has been $68,865.

Problems run the gamut, including aging roofs, substandard electrical systems, no air conditioning, problems with sewage pipes and “all of the stuff that surprises homeowners on a regular basis” that was ignored by the previous owners, Denning said.

[...]

“The families we’re seeing are working very hard to put their finances in place to where they can make that choice to try to own a home.”

The last comment is really the most ridiculous. To backtrack, they are trying to get the old tenants to buy the homes after they fix them up. But few of these tenants were even thinking about buying the homes, and they have made little to no effort to work toward that end.

They'll probably get this to work with 10-20 families, but the rest are going to be endlessly frustrating. I mean - do you evict a renter because they don't want to buy the house you just spent $60,000 fixing up? If they stay in the house, they're going to wreck the new cosmetic improvements!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions