HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 4:23 PM
surely you agree with me

That's an old terrace house.....or part of one at least....the other half must've been demolished long ago.

Built in 1894.

Here's the plan for what is going there.

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...ctionId=496150

Last edited by trueviking; Mar 2, 2023 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That's an old terrace house.....or part of one at least....the other half must've been demolished long ago.

Built in 1894.

Here's the plan for what is going there.

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...ctionId=496150

That's an old design, the new one is a lot more disappointing. I'll try to get details.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 7:00 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/Wz2KcvLC/Untitled.png

Not sure if the image posts correctly but this is the disappointment that's going up on Bannatyne and Harriet

Last edited by pacman; Mar 2, 2023 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 7:27 PM

The old one looks better but frankly in that neighbourhood it would just end up another shitshow like the one on Colony in the news, it’s not fortified enough. The newer design pacman posted makes way more sense even though it sucks balls.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 7:36 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
The old one looks better but frankly in that neighbourhood it would just end up another shitshow like the one on Colony in the news, it’s not fortified enough. The newer design pacman posted makes way more sense even though it sucks balls.
Understatement. That design would be at home in the slums of any -shall we say- less fortunate city in the global south.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 7:37 PM

they make a drastic change like that and not go back to city planning department?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Lagimodiere is not mainly limited access. Mainly limited access would be a road like the Yellowhead in Edmonton. Lagimodiere is really not that different from Pembina or Kenaston (south of the rail tracks).

Route 90 and Lagimodiere were never part of the plan for the Inner City ring road. People in North Kildonan have known at least since the 70s exactly where CPT was being planned in their area. I've seen the original plans numerous times.
Lagimodiere is limited access by the definition. Although very poorly in some areas. It is not like Pembina at all.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 8:19 PM
Mooderator

Lagimodière and Pembina are stroads, with a few half assed overpasses thrown in.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 8:26 PM

Lagimodiere is a limited access expressway, by definition and physical structure. It's not a grade separated freeway. Although there are the sections near Windsor Park/Fermor that have some direct access to the road from private land, which does meet the limited access definition. That is my very poorly part.

A limited access expressway still has traffic lights. Bishop is that exactly.

Kenaston is similar, but the speed is generally lower because most of the road was not built to expressway standards.

Pembina is not that.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 9:27 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Lagimodiere is a limited access expressway, by definition and physical structure. It's not a grade separated freeway. Although there are the sections near Windsor Park/Fermor that have some direct access to the road from private land, which does meet the limited access definition. That is my very poorly part.

Kenaston is similar, but the speed is generally lower because most of the road was not built to expressway standards.

Pembina is not that.
As a guy from Manitoba, that lives in Quebec.. sir, Winnipeg has a long way to go.

Driving from #1 to the perimeter going on the south leg, that was impressive. Until you hit St. Mary's.

That Deacon's corner needs to be a diamond interchange too.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 9:31 PM

Lol yes I know. Mostly arguing semantics.

I was in Montreal again last week and it's like another world.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 9:37 PM
There is always a way

Crazy how far behind Winnipeg is when compared to just about every other city in the developed world.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 9:39 PM

And not just behind in terms of road infrastructure.. in everything. Public transit, active transit, etc etc. We need to go all in on something.. instead of half assing everything.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Crazy how far behind Winnipeg is when compared to just about every other city in the developed world.
Try telling this to anyone with real power or resources in this town and you get the strangest looks. The bar is just set so low.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 9:43 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
And not just behind in terms of road infrastructure.. in everything. Public transit, active transit, etc etc. We need to go all in on something.. instead of half assing everything.
I'm pretty hopeful for Winnipeg's grand plan of creating a freeway from Oak Bluff to Deacon's Corner.

I thought that that stupid Humpty's would screw things up, but I guess there is enough room to make an actual interchange.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I'm pretty hopeful for Winnipeg's grand plan of creating a freeway from Oak Bluff to Deacon's Corner.

I thought that that stupid Humpty's would screw things up, but I guess there is enough room to make an actual interchange.
Manitoba has designs for freeway upgrades to the entire south perimeter available on their website.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100/index.html

North perimeter is being studied for the same treatment.

As for the oak bluff interchange, that is announced as the next project on deck, set to start once St Marys will be complete. It'll be placed to the east of Humptys and come with an eastern shift of Perimeter and realignment of hwy 2 and 3 to make a singular access point.

Last edited by WildCake; Mar 2, 2023 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Lagimodiere is limited access by the definition. Although very poorly in some areas. It is not like Pembina at all.
"Limited Access highways are roads that have been built to allow traffic to move more freely. These roads include interstates and freeways that connect major cities, as well as state highways that connect smaller towns and cities. The term “limited access” means that there are no intersections on these roads"

An example of a limited access highway would be the Deerfoot in Calgary or the Anthony Henday in Edmonton. Lagimodiere is NOT a limited access highway.

Lagimodiere has 25 at-grade intersections within the Perimeter.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Mar 3, 2023 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Pembina is not that.
People in Manitoba really need to get out to an actual city or province with legitimate expressways. The bar is so low in this province that some pass off Lagimodiere as an expressway, which it is clearly not. Just look at the new areas south of Fermor. I counted at least 6 at grade intersections.

The Perimeter Highway is the closest thing Manitoba has to a limited access highway. I sure hope they follow through with the plans to build the south Perimeter into a legitimate freeway. It is long overdue.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 2:01 AM

^check out the Wikipedia entry on “limited access roads”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited-access_road

For sure, lots of people use (limited access) expressway and (controlled access) freeway interchangeably, but apparently there is a difference.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
People in Manitoba really need to get out to an actual city or province with legitimate expressways. The bar is so low in this province that some pass off Lagimodiere as an expressway, which it is clearly not. Just look at the new areas south of Fermor. I counted at least 6 at grade intersections.

The Perimeter Highway is the closest thing Manitoba has to a limited access highway. I sure hope they follow through with the plans to build the south Perimeter into a legitimate freeway. It is long overdue.
I think we just need to have a council (mayor specifically) that is willing to martyr themselves, and not just play the meek (bowman) or corrupt (katz) card to further their own selves.

Duff Roblin wasn't praised for the floodway when it was proposed, or even after it was built and had quite a few opponents to it. Now, Winnipeg would not be where it is had the Floodway not been built. I'm sure at the time, you could have asked any hydrological engineer what would be a good approach to protect Winnipeg from flooding and they would have come up with a similar plan.

Just like now, ask any civil engineer and in an afternoon they could decide the best way to upgrade the inner ring road to freeways in this city, and Perimeter as well. Hell, many SSP posters do it on here all the time. E.g. Dengler Avenue plotted out the entire twinning of Hwy 1 in NW Ontario just for fun.

All that to say is the people in place know what needs to be done, there just needs to be dollars and political will. Some mayor has to accept they will not be re-electable in Winnipegs cheapskate populace by jacking up taxes to improve [pick 1 or 2] roadways, rapid transit, homelessness, drug abuse, and/or police and fire cost ballooning

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan