HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Yep, they been at it since the summer, putting lipstick on a pig. They are also replacing the windows and converting the balcony railings to glass.
What is wrong with Courts of St James? I had a friend who lived there, and it seemed nice. Loved the view.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeyed View Post
even though they're relocating their new HQ way out to South Landing on McGillivray, paragon is still one of the most urban-focused developers we got on the go in town. good on them! long overdue for those houses to get munched down for redevelopment. now we know

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
even though they're relocating their new HQ way out to South Landing on McGillivray, paragon is still one of the most urban-focused developers we got on the go in town. good on them! long overdue for those houses to get munched down for redevelopment. now we know
Really hoping the block between Broadway/Maryland/Sherbrook/Portage gets something happening this decade, it’s an obvious next contender for West Broadway strip expansion. Not to mention the old Melting Pot and the dead lot beside it.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 4:41 PM

That is great to see. I’d be happy with all three concepts. Replacing those houses with a building with a CRU or CRUs (depending on tenants - they should try and land a Shoppers) would really help make Wolseley to Sara a decent urban stretch. The development at 198 Sherbrook will help too. I remember there was also a small proposal for 216 Sherbrook as well.

I really wish that the wasteland from Broadway to Portage could be redeveloped.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 4:45 PM

The parking lots behind Canada Life on Colony also have the potential to be transformative. It strikes me as being a pretty desirable location too. Balmoral is a nice street and Osborne is right there. It’d really connect West Broadway with Osborne Village.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 5:18 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
The parking lots behind Canada Life on Colony also have the potential to be transformative. It strikes me as being a pretty desirable location too. Balmoral is a nice street and Osborne is right there. It’d really connect West Broadway with Osborne Village.
I hope that one day they uncover and renaturalize Colony Creek from Broadway to the Assiniboine in this space and develop housing around the new/old creek.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 2:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I hope that one day they uncover and renaturalize Colony Creek from Broadway to the Assiniboine in this space and develop housing around the new/old creek.
Pretty sure there's a drainage pipe under the broadway/osborne intersection that could connect to a naturalized legislature grounds rather than some cheap knock off of some British lord named chancey's manor gardens from the 1700s. I was always curious if the spring that that is used for cooling under the Bay Building originally fed the creek?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 2:37 AM

and finally some good news..

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/appeal-a...erty-1.6275937

this will probably end up in that dumb provincial review board thing now, tho.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
and finally some good news..

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/appeal-a...erty-1.6275937

this will probably end up in that dumb provincial review board thing now, tho.
Fuck Christine Skene and fuck John Orlikow, and all those rich pricks who claim dominion over property that isn’t theirs. Back to the stone age with the lot of them. A victory for common sense and efficient use of scarce land.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 5:20 AM
the first stamp is free

^ This developer deserves to twist in the breeze in perpetuity for the totally unnecessary and willful destruction of a one of kind, intact, structurally sound historical house and detached garage - all for THIS?

It's gross.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 1:42 PM

Yeah that part I lament somewhat as well. The practice of demolition-by-neglect needs to have a mandated end put to it.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 2:43 PM

The idea of a heritage conservation district for an area dominated by single family homes is bogus and is nothing more than a NIMBY tactic. Neighbourhoods change, homes don't last forever.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 3:42 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The idea of a heritage conservation district for an area dominated by single family homes is bogus and is nothing more than a NIMBY tactic. Neighbourhoods change, homes don't last forever.
True, but if all the older homes went, it would be very sad, especially a lot of those grand old homes that hark back to when Winnipeg was something...
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
True, but if all the older homes went, it would be very sad, especially a lot of those grand old homes that hark back to when Winnipeg was something...
You can't force people to buy and maintain those old homes, though. If there are a few exceptional homes then give them heritage protection and enforce it. But trying to protect an entire neighbourhood is nothing more than a NIMBY tactic to keep the area frozen in time. Things change, the city grows and evolves.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:17 PM

I wish there were some way to attach a greater tax burden to a "heritage conservation district".

Like, you lobby to keep an area low-density and filled with large single family homes? Okay, sure. But you should pay taxes on the land on the basis of what could be there if it weren't for the provision you pushed for.

I guess that's sort of a land value tax, but the problem is that a heritage zone keeps the land price artificially low (since you're prevented from making more efficient use of the land).

It bothers me that this neighbourhood of the city's richest people (eg the CEOs of ColorAd, National Leasing, CanadInns, etc) gets a pass from any expansion of the tax base in their neighbourhood only.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:28 PM

the fact that parts of wellington crescent are also corralled into this heritage district is shortsighted. what is generally a very dense street a couple blocks up to be shackled into perpetual SFH mediocrity so a couple people don't see a roofline sticking up from their backyards. what should be the focus of this heritage champion group is this stucco house on kingsway

https://goo.gl/maps/RgBJ9ifUSe2Msj3r7

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:42 PM

Architecturally speaking, on the outside The Courts resemble these: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/275001120984134107/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
What is wrong with Courts of St James? I had a friend who lived there, and it seemed nice. Loved the view.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:51 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I wish there were some way to attach a greater tax burden to a "heritage conservation district".

Like, you lobby to keep an area low-density and filled with large single family homes? Okay, sure. But you should pay taxes on the land on the basis of what could be there if it weren't for the provision you pushed for.

I guess that's sort of a land value tax, but the problem is that a heritage zone keeps the land price artificially low (since you're prevented from making more efficient use of the land).

It bothers me that this neighbourhood of the city's richest people (eg the CEOs of ColorAd, National Leasing, CanadInns, etc) gets a pass from any expansion of the tax base in their neighbourhood only.
This post is magical.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:52 PM
surely you agree with me

I don't understand why Crescentwood is any more historically important than Wolseley.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I don't understand why Crescentwood is any more historically important than Wolseley.
Because rich assholes with outsized influence make up a large part of the voting base

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan