HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
If the city is truly serious about developing big box power centres and shopping malls too be more mixed-use spaces, this is probably going to be the development with the least NIMBY push back.

Wait until they start developing the parking lots on St. Vital Centre or KP for example. Especially if Gillingham is true to his platform which states, "Scott will also ask City staff and Council to develop rules permitting residential construction over medium and large retail malls, as-of-right, conditional on setbacks to minimize impacts on nearby residents."
You can go bigger for sure at St. Vital. As appealing as the Northgate proposal Wpg_Guy mentioned is, it would have been tough to jam 600 units in midrise buildings on such a congested site with fairly limited road access. It would have become quite choked. It would have been easier to see that type of development taking shape right on McPhillips, but they already developed that area with CRU strips.

A place like St. Vital has numerous parking lots, especially along St. Mary's, that are very lightly used with good access. I could see some fairly high density builds going up there.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 5:53 PM

^Definitely agree. As enticing as that 600 unit proposal would have been it would have overwhelmed the area and the elementary school next to it.

I'm still glad that about 500 people will be able too have all of their essentials within walking distance because of this development (except liquor). Especially for families with young children. It seems the Northgate area is really getting some strong momentum, and it's always a welcome sight to see revitalization of mature neighbourhoods in the north end.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Wow, that's a pleasant and unexpected surprise. I like the layout and the design is promising, although it's a bit hard to make out the details.

I will say, parking will be tight as Northgate is already pretty crammed and the buildings will have fewer spaces than units... could be the source of some NIMBY pushback.

Pretty much what all the comments are when this proposal has hit social media over the past few years. "Northgate is already too busy already!!!" etc etc. Because people are forced to shop there or something. The back side, especially where the buildings are being proposed is never busy though.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 7:16 PM

From my perspective, This adds density without needing much in infrastructure as would be needed in outlying areas or newer subdivisions.
Transit, supermarket, eateries, cinema etc..all there plus moer a fre blocks away.
I also agree the area behind the newly repurposed so called mall where the apartment blocks are proposed for is very quiet.
What I like best with this & other proposals for mall lots is that it will help keep them going with residents a hop skip & a jump as E commerce grows.
Convenience is key.
I agree K.P. St Vital, Polo Park, Garden City Mall are all wise to do this.Grant Park has loads of residential blocks across the street with more on their way behind them being built by Shindico on Taylor.
Once we know what happens with Portage Place, more residential will be required there likely.
Again, my joy is these infill high density proposals help with safety in numbers be it shopping, walking, catching a bus & less costly than in new areas.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 1:50 AM

Quote:
It would have been easier to see that type of development taking shape right on McPhillips, but they already developed that area with CRU strips.
The planning department tried get development lining McPhillips to create a strong urban edge on the corridor however it turned out that portion of the site is owned by a different party.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
If the city is truly serious about developing big box power centres and shopping malls too be more mixed-use spaces, this is probably going to be the development with the least NIMBY push back.

Wait until they start developing the parking lots on St. Vital Centre or KP for example.
Of the major retail areas in Winnipeg KP is unlikely to get opposition outside of of the Kildonan Mile strip. Polo is also unlikely to have opposition outside of the airport zoning issues. St Vital is the one that might be tricky as it is closely imbedded in a single family residential area.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 4:53 PM

1819 Pembina Highway

Former site of the Capri Motel, 10-storey mixed use building with 230 dwelling units and commercial space on the ground floor

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...ctionId=665718

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Nov 14, 2022 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 5:03 PM

That thing looks like a cruise ship... it's pretty hefty. Good location though, just a stone's throw from a BRT station such that it counts as good solid TOD.

I will say though, that stretch from roughly Chevrier to Bishop Grandin is becoming very congested at rush hour, and adding hundreds of units there is not going to help. I don't think it should be an obstacle to the project, but the city needs to rethink the design of that stretch of Pembina. There are always U-turners (which often leads to accidents), tons of people weaving in and out of parking lots, plenty of school and transit buses congesting traffic, ill-timed signals. This stretch of Pembina needs a major re-do to reflect the rapidly growing traffic volumes around there.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 5:09 PM

It’s hard to get that interested about things being built on Pembina when most of it is set back at an angle. It is a poorly designed street with very few exceptions.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 5:10 PM

First thoughts are that the red stands out way too much. I like the little plaza they are building that fronts Pembina. Good density and really appreciate the connections they are making with the SW Transitway AT path.

Nice infill in a great location though glad to see they are redeveloping the Capri lot so fast. Although with this lot destined for redevelopment there is not much land to redevelop left besides the commercial parking lots. Interesting to see what happens with the Tavern and Pembina crossing lots in the next decade or 2.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
It’s hard to get that interested about things being built on Pembina when most of it is set back at an angle. It is a poorly designed street with very few exceptions.
Totally agree about the suckiness of the street. That building is almost an entire city block long, but it's just shunted off to a parking lot.

It doesn't help that most new builds along Pembina do absolutely nothing to take advantage of whatever minimal frontage they do have, although this one changes that a bit... but even that is offset by the massive setback that hides the CRUs from sight of people passing by on Pembina.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 5:49 PM

Equipment on site for 127 Bannatyne. Looks like a driver to put the retaining wall in.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 8:29 PM

Maybe it’s just me but i don’t understand new Condos or apartments without balconies , nice to sit outside at least or BBQ if allowed , ( some places do and some don’t ) .

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Maybe it’s just me but i don’t understand new Condos or apartments without balconies , nice to sit outside at least or BBQ if allowed , ( some places do and some don’t ) .
If you live in a building with balconies or have a view of a building with balconies, you realize how seldom most people use them, despite what they claim. I suppose it's partly a function of climate... they are generally unusable for more than half the year on that basis alone.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 9:44 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
If you live in a building with balconies or have a view of a building with balconies, you realize how seldom most people use them, despite what they claim. I suppose it's partly a function of climate... they are generally unusable for more than half the year on that basis alone.
I use my barbecue basically year round (maybe I'm crazy lol). I think having outdoor space is super under rated. The one thing I missed most at my old place was not having any outdoor space at all.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Last edited by optimusREIM; Nov 14, 2022 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 9:58 PM

I bbq'd in my parking spot at the apartment. There was a small amount of grass and it was on Portage Ave. So i used the parking spot in the back with my Hibachi bbq thing haha

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 10:00 PM

This is why I said "despite what people claim". Whenever I point this out, I hear from all the people who claim they grill 3 meals a day on the balcony 365 days a year LOL. Yet go by any apartment building and on any given day, they will generally be empty. Developers know this, which is why so many buildings are built without balconies.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I will say though, that stretch from roughly Chevrier to Bishop Grandin is becoming very congested at rush hour, and adding hundreds of units there is not going to help. I don't think it should be an obstacle to the project, but the city needs to rethink the design of that stretch of Pembina. There are always U-turners (which often leads to accidents), tons of people weaving in and out of parking lots, plenty of school and transit buses congesting traffic, ill-timed signals. This stretch of Pembina needs a major re-do to reflect the rapidly growing traffic volumes around there.
It comes down to the whole "stroad" problem where Pembina is designed like it should be a fast-moving thoroughfare, with lots of lanes and a direct route from the perimeter to downtown, but because it's lined with businesses and residences, things can't move too quickly. I definitely agree steps can be taken to make it more safe and efficient tho, and hopefully it happens at some point.

Great news to see such a large project next to the BRT. More please!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 1:26 AM

Pembina area is so hot right now

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Former site of the Capri Motel, 10-storey mixed use building with 230 dwelling units and commercial space on the ground floor

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/Vie...ctionId=665718
This capri development is what should be done with portage place. Make mainfloor some light retail and the rest residential so downtown has more critical mass to build up the area in people which leads to better safety more economic vibrancy ect.. Yada yada

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan