HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Even in the face of sustained levels of high immigration in recent years, the French language hasn't really diminished in either its usage or its institutional dominance.
That's not what the census figures show.

Stats for the province of Québec:

Mother tongue:
2011 >> 2021
- French: 79.7% >> 77.8%
- English: 9.0% >> 10.0%

Language most spoken at home:
2011 >> 2021
- French: 82.5% >> 81.0%
- English: 11.7% >> 13.2%

Main language at work:
2011 >> 2021
- French: 87.6% >> 85.3%
- English: 17.4% >> 19.5%

Stats for the island of Montréal:

Mother tongue:
2011 >> 2021
- French: 50.2% >> 49.3%
- English: 19.1% >> 20.9%

Language most spoken at home:
2011 >> 2021
- French: 56.0% >> 55.0%
- English: 27.6% >> 30.0%

Main language at work:
2011 >> 2021
- French: 70.8% >> 67.4%
- English: 38.9% >> 42.1%

These insane levels of immigration are not sustainable a- for Québec (as the census figures show; even with far more Francophone immigrants than in the past, the French language is declining), and b- for the stability of Canada regarding the Québec separatist issue, because the rest of Canada receives more immigrants proportionally than Québec, so the higher the level of immigration, the more the province of Québec declines as a percentage of Canada's total population, and this will open all sorts of cans of worms that you can't even imagine (when Québec falls below 15% of Canada's population, combined with a French language falling below 75% of Québec's population, I let you imagine the sort of existential angst this will trigger in Québec politics...).

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 1:24 PM

Most immigrants to Canada are from East and South Asia. Neither area has Francophones. So long-term, assuming Canada keeps its immigration policies, and assuming the immigration sources don't change, there will be a smaller share of Canadian French speakers, unless Quebec keeps up with Ontario re. immigration share and unless Quebec is absolutely terrific in turning Chinese and Indian speakers into Francophones. Both seem to be unlikely.

I'm admittedly ignorant re. Quebec, but I find it hard to believe that Montreal can draw as many immigrants as Toronto (or at least the same rough share relative to population) and I find it hard to believe that Quebec can make all these immigrants French-first speakers within a few years, especially in English-friendly Montreal, though I could be wrong.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 1:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Most immigrants to Canada are from East and South Asia. Neither area has Francophones. So long-term, assuming Canada keeps its immigration policies, and assuming the immigration sources don't change, there will be a smaller share of Canadian French speakers, unless Quebec keeps up with Ontario re. immigration share and unless Quebec is absolutely terrific in turning Chinese and Indian speakers into Francophones. Both seem to be unlikely.

I'm admittedly ignorant re. Quebec, but I find it hard to believe that Montreal can draw as many immigrants as Toronto (or at least the same rough share relative to population) and I find it hard to believe that Quebec can make all these immigrants French-first speakers within a few years, especially in English-friendly Montreal, though I could be wrong.
Québec actually has way fewer East and South Asian immigrants coming here than the rest of Canada. We have way more from francophone countries (first and second language). But obviously it is not all of them.

But while it's way better than before in getting the non-francophone immigrants to Québec to learn and adopt French it remains a huge challenge and still not enough of them do I would argue.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

20 years ago Quebec had more people than Alberta/BC. Today, Alberta/BC has 1.5 million more than Quebec. However, Quebec has a greater number of MP seats. I am pretty certain that may change soon.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 2:10 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i dk why given what seems to be the other perspective. whenever i asked my french friends what they think of the french over here in quebec to a letter they laugh and say, “french hillbillies.” i don’t think that is very nice, and frankly i thought better of them than acting like brits, but chalk it up to general euro elitist attitudes silliness.
Well, whatever your French friends think (and they seem to have different views from the ones I know), a great number of them immigrate to Quebec each year, and almost no one is crossing the Atlantic the other way to live in France. Must mean something…

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 9:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Someone has an Axa to grind.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 9:59 PM

for those curious here are Quebecs immigration numbers for 2017-2021 aand 2021 by itself

https://statistique.quebec.ca/en/doc...f-birth-quebec

and the total amount of immigrants since 1980

The current Quebec's government plans is to have 50,000 immigrants a year to Quebec and they are achieving that goal
https://statistique.quebec.ca/en/doc...#tri_type=2199

Last edited by Nite; Mar 25, 2023 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 2:05 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Thanks for these stats.

Pretty sure that for Toronto and Vancouver you have India, China and Philippines at the top of the list taking up much larger shares.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 9:53 PM
Great White Norf

Interesting that slightly over 40% of French immigrants from 2017-2021 arrived in 2021.
Keep those numbers up. Steal more folks from Paris to Montréal

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thanks for these stats.

Pretty sure that for Toronto and Vancouver you have India, China and Philippines at the top of the list taking up much larger shares.
For Toronto, it's most probably like Indian, Ukrainian, Philippines, Chinese, Afghan and Nigerian for 2022

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Actually, you can tell jmecklenborg first searched for Roxham Road on Google Maps, but then moved himself his screen to Akwesasne/St. Regis, and that's what he linked to, so I'm assuming he is talking about the latter (and MonkeyRonin answered right: it's an Indian Reservation that straddles the border, and no, you can't use it to conveniently smuggle stuff unless you're Indian).
Correct, you read my mind. I'm curious as to why immigrants are using that one particular area. I suspect that it's because it's a very short trip to Montreal from that point. If you walk through the woods in Maine, you're pretty far from Montreal.

I crossed into Quebec on a country road 20~ years ago and the border agent waved us through without us presenting any ID. Yes, this was before the passport requirement.

Still, I'm pretty sure I could sneak into Quebec tonight with little trouble (I'm about an 8 hour drive away, so I could make it by midnight). In fact a great idea for a youtube channel would be some guy who keeps sneaking in and out of Canada.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Mar 27, 2023 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 8:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Correct, you read my mind. I'm curious as to why immigrants are using that one particular area. I suspect that it's because it's a very short trip to Montreal from that point. If you walk through the woods in Maine, you're pretty far from Montreal.

It's a straight shot from NYC up I-87 to the border , and then another hour on Quebec Autoroute 15 to Montreal.

Plattsburgh is that last main town before the border and has both Greyhound bus and Amtrak service to NYC.

From Plattsburgh it's a relatively short taxi ride to Roxham Rd. at the border.

BTW I believe it was revealed that NYC Mayor Eric Adams OK'd the purchase of bus tickets for people wanting to travel from NYC to Roxham.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 8:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I crossed into Quebec on a country road 20~ years ago and the border agent waved us through without us presenting any ID. Yes, this was before the passport requirement.

Still, I'm pretty sure I could sneak into Quebec tonight with little trouble (I'm about an 8 hour drive away, so I could make it by midnight). In fact a great idea for a youtube channel would be some guy who keeps sneaking in and out of Canada.
Sneaking in to Canada shouldn't be too hard. It's sneaking back into the US that will be tricky.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sneaking in to Canada shouldn't be too hard. It's sneaking back into the US that will be tricky.
Neither is tricky, if you know what you're doing. (Or if you have my help )

8 hours away? I thought you were in Cincinnati.

And yeah, before 9/11 the border was a breeze to cross; I know, I grew up not far from it. (That's one of the arguments in favor of Dubya having had more of a lasting impact than Trump, but that's a conversation for the CE toilet/subforum.)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Correct, you read my mind. I'm curious as to why immigrants are using that one particular area.
As Acajack already pointed out: it's because it's the most convenient.

If you didn't know anything about Roxham Road, and the only information you had was a population density / road network map of North America, you'd immediately deduce that THE #1 busy illegal crossing would be in the immediate vicinity of the I-87/A-15 corridor.

And you'd be totally right.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 8:26 PM

Actually our "slowest growing" province is Quebec at a still very decent clip of 1.7%. YK/NWT/NU are territories.

The Maritimes are growing quickly for the first time in a century due to, mostly Ontarians, fleeing the high cost of housing, hectic lifestyle, and grinding traffic for a more peaceful way of life.

Many BCers are doing the same and heading to Alberta due to it having the highest wages and lowest taxes in the country while BC's cost of living is astronomical. One can buy 4 house in Calgary and 5 in Edmonton for the price of 1 in Vancouver. For the first time in a decade more Canadians are leaving BC than moving to it due almost exclusively because of high rental rate and bizarre real estate prices even outside metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet_Highground View Post
Good for Canada I know there’s over 800k Ukrainian refugees & I just heard that unlike here in the US there’s an easy path to stay long term.
Chance are the vast majority of these Ukrainians will never go back home. Those hoping to return and simply seeking refuge are the ones heading to Poland and Western Europe. Canada also has a huge Ukrainian population due to a massive influx in the early 20th century. Canada actually has the largest Ukrainian diaspora in the world second only to Russia. The majority are in the Prairies due to Canada giving away western land at the time to encourage growth and most Ukrainians were farmers.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 8:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Chance are the vast majority of these Ukrainians will never go back home. Those hoping to return and simply seeking refuge are the ones heading to Poland and Western Europe. Canada also has a huge Ukrainian population due to a massive influx in the early 20th century. Canada actually has the largest Ukrainian diaspora in the world second only to Russia.
Canada has "approved" a large number of Ukrainian refugees, likely many more than will actually end up coming here. Probably a majority who are approved for Canada are still in Europe somewhere and will either stay permanently in those countries or return home.

But of those who have came all the way to Canada, yes they will generally end up staying in Canada long-term. Even after the war ends.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 8:43 PM

Quebec's immigration is disproportionately from Francophone countries from Europe and Northern Africa. BC's is almost exclusively from Asia. Ontario is a much larger spread and gets immigrants from basically everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:
That said, it's weird how the phenomenon is so very much under the radar in Canada. In that you rarely hear about neighbours or parents of other kids moving to the US here.

As I said, it's a real thing, but perhaps it's that those who end up moving aren't those who would make an effort to put down roots and make many contacts outside of their own specific ethnic community.
Perhaps it's where you're located, but in downtown Toronto it's quite common to hear about it. A lot of them are working for firms like Tata, Avanade and Accenture before they jump for greener pastures in the US after obtaining citizenship.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions