HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
the big thing is, young people really dont drink like that anymore, even the irish lol, so many, many more divey bars have closed than have survived or been gentrified.
One post pandemic trend that I didn't anticipate is how much bars are continuing to struggle.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
One post pandemic trend that I didn't anticipate is how much bars are continuing to struggle.
Gen Z is apparently a bunch of shut ins that would rather be online than be out and social.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Gen Z is apparently a bunch of shut ins that would rather be online than be out and social.
Correct. I asked one recently why they don't seem to hang out at Waffle House and 24-hour diners like everyone did in the past and he said everyone just gets food delivered.

All of this is baffling to me. Teenagers used to go to the 24-hour places all the time...after theater rehearsal, band practice, going to concerts, whatever. In college people used to go after parties, concerts, etc.

Now...nothing. Just phones.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:24 PM
你的媽媽

How to tell us you’re a boomer without telling us you’re a boomer.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
How to tell us you’re a boomer without telling us you’re a boomer.
Im 32 but okay

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:26 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Im 32 but okay
You’re a boomer at heart.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:34 PM

Quote:
You’re a boomer at heart.
A boomer at heart? I am a Silent at heart. I want nothing to do with those hippy freaks.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:35 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
i am very baffled by that too.

i have been saying younger people just don't drink like older folks do or did.

i mean they party and all that the same, but the vices of choice are more just now mostly legal weed and drugs i guess??

the example i use is we used to have the weekend mornings to ourselves in the west village, in fact it was a running joke, you would see neighbors and laugh about it, but the last few years all the young people are up and exercising and stuff and now there is no peace at all lol. you never saw that in years prior, they would be inside in the mornings sleeping off hangovers.

but ok good for the young folks tho.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:37 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
A boomer at heart? I am a Silent at heart. I want nothing to do with those hippy freaks.
The point is, you know you’re old when you start going around saying “well back in my day…”.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:40 PM

Quote:
i am very baffled by that too.

i mean they party and all that the same, but the vices of choice are more just now mostly legal weed and drugs i guess??

the example i use is we used to have the weekend mornings to ourselves in the west village, in fact it was a running joke, you would see neighbors and laugh about it, but the last few years all the young people are up and exercising and stuff and now there is no peace at all lol. you never saw that in years prior, they would be inside in the mornings sleeping off hangovers.

but ok good for the young folks tho.
Yeah, I guess that's part of it but even places that were doing well right before the pandemic are struggling. The change happened so abruptly that it can't be just Gen Z's fault. There's had to be some behavior change in Gen Y and Gen X too.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Yeah, I guess that's part of it but even places that were doing well right before the pandemic are struggling. The change happened so abruptly that it can't be just Gen Z's fault. There's had to be some behavior change in Gen Y and Gen X too.
you are right. i dk what it could be. people afraid of getting sick and still shy to go out? found other things to do over the pandemic? i dk. its a rough business to be in lately that is for sure.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:46 PM

Quote:
The point is, you know you’re old when you start going around saying “well back in my day…”.
No I am objectively correct, the young people are wrong.

"Oh you are out of touch" no, the youth are stupid and always have been.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 9:38 PM

Quote:
I drove past a huge line outside a club last weekend. I was curious to know what band was playing...no not a band it was a dress-up Shrek-themed dance party.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
you are right. i dk what it could be. people afraid of getting sick and still shy to go out? found other things to do over the pandemic? i dk. its a rough business to be in lately that is for sure.

I'm pretty convinced a significant percentage of the bar & restaurant industry actually has no interest in really being in the bar & restaurant industry... from the owners down to the servers and line cooks. And having to close during the pandemic must have shown them that.

Because for all of the complaining they did about having to shut down, a lot of them now operate at significantly reduced hours, or even fewer days per week by choice.

They now have the chance to make money, and they close their restaurant at 9:00 on a Friday or Saturday night... close their bar at 10 on the weekends... wtf?

Those places can go straight to hell if you ask me.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

I am GenX and we were downright hedonists compared to GenZ.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:06 PM
Paradise Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I'm pretty convinced a significant percentage of the bar & restaurant industry actually has no interest in really being in the bar & restaurant industry... from the owners down to the servers and line cooks. And having to close during the pandemic must have shown them that.

Because for all of the complaining they did about having to shut down, a lot of them now operate at significantly reduced hours, or even fewer days per week by choice.

They now have the chance to make money, and they close their restaurant at 9:00 on a Friday or Saturday night... close their bar at 10 on the weekends... wtf?

I can tell you from working in a restaurant it is because they don't have the staff to be open. If it were up to owners they would be open whenever they had customers who wanted to be there. The problem is that the industry (and customers) treated restaurant employees like shit and relied on a combination Stockholm syndrome and undocumented immigrants with few other options to stay fully staffed. When covid hit a lot of restaurant workers left the industry, didn't come back, and won't come back for any amount of money.

The place I work at was closed on Sundays and Mondays for most of the summer, not for a lack of business, but for a lack of staff.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

...because they still can't get workers in part because of the competition for workers with Uber, Grubhub, etc.

They're having to shorten hours because fewer people are willing to work late nights.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I am GenX and we were downright hedonists compared to GenZ.
Yeah these young people are awfully conservative. They don't care about sticking it to the man because they are the man.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:22 PM

Lol.

Whatever happened to the old topic about authenticke
Olde Dives???

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:26 PM
Paradise Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
...because they still can't get workers in part because of the competition for workers with Uber, Grubhub, etc.

They're having to shorten hours because fewer people are willing to work late nights.
It isn't really Uber or Grubhub that restaurants are competing with for workers, because those jobs are even worse, it is normal jobs in other industries that poached workers. When restaurants and bars closed a lot of restaurant workers got jobs doing other things and discovered that they liked their new lives better so they never went back.

One of the issues we have in Minneapolis now is that it is specifically hard to find restaurant managers (floor managers, head chefs and sous chefs). Servers make $15 an hour in the city plus tips while good cooks are making $25 an hour. This means that anyone qualified to manage will make more or similar money as an hourly employee with less stress and responsibility. Five years ago I was the head chef of the busiest restaurant in the city, now I make more money as a 40 hour a week line cook. The veterans who know how to run restaurants well are opting for easier jobs and easier lives so a lot of places are being run by people who don't know what they are doing.

The labor model of the industry before covid was one of pure exploitation - treating people like shit, paying them little and working them like dogs. It was premised on there always being a bottomless pit of people desperate enough to accept it. Covid broke that labor model and now restaurant owners don't know what to do. It was an industry that rewarded sociopathic behavior, and so a lot of those people were put in positions of power, but now they are exactly the wrong people to fix the situation that the industry is now in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions