HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:03 PM

haahaha Jets twitter is amazing right now.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
haahaha Jets twitter is amazing right now.
I could only imagine.

But seriously, who would do better with the compromised lineup the Jets currently have? Is coaching really the issue here?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I could only imagine.

But seriously, who would do better with the compromised lineup the Jets currently have? Is coaching really the issue here?
Fair enough, but of course my sentiments are the opposite on HFBoards just because!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:18 PM

Why would anyone make the assumption that there is no one that could do better? NHL history is full of examples of coaches that have come in and done better, witness St. Louis last year. The team has been on a downhill slant since January 2019 and the coach gets a multi-year extension. Only in Winnipeg I say.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 8:57 PM

^ Fair enough. I do think Maurice is going to be under the gun to deliver... I'm sure Cheveldayoff will give him some new defensive tools but if a year from now we're still watching the team struggle to lock up a wildcard spot, it could be game over.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:30 PM

I like Maurice, he’s great for the City in general. Maybe it will turn into a Mike O’Shea story where he will eventually triumph. I hope so. I wonder what multi-year means in terms of numbers. Two? 3?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:31 PM

At least he doesn’t wear funny shorts.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I like Maurice, he’s great for the City in general. Maybe it will turn into a Mike O’Shea story where he will eventually triumph. I hope so. I wonder what multi-year means in terms of numbers. Two? 3?
Pretty sure it was 3, or at least that's what some reporter said on Twitter.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:19 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

One has to remember that this was to be expected right when we headed into training camp (barring the Buff situation) that we would have to make do of who we lost on the blue line (Chiarot, Myers, Trouba, Morrow) and key forwards (Tanev, Dano, Lemieux).

But then the Buff situation happened, in which nobody saw, and now we had deal with what we had while being in cap hell, thanks to Buff.

You can say what you want about Buff and what he did, but you know what, he's a guy at the end of the day. It's going to sting for a while, and most likely, people won't forget this "stink" on what he did, but they will also remember who he is as a player on the ice, and a person off the ice.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 4:33 PM

“He’s a guy at the end of the day” - not even sure what that means, but he screwed the team pure and simple. And as “a person off the ice”, he keeps entirely to himself and has no profile in the community, so not sure what people will have to remember.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:16 PM

My favourites were the people sqwaking about his losing record in Carolina, and how because of that he shouldn't be signed.

We've been in the playoffs in 3/5 seasons behind the bench, including the deepest run a team in this city has ever had.

We're exactly where we were projected to be a the beginning of this season, and that's including being without Buff and the rash of injuries we have had to deal with. Get rid of those issues and we are sitting comfortably in 3rd in the Central.

And yeah, you tell me which coach could get us to this point in this situation. And when you answer, it's gotta be one of the "star" coaches that have been fired this year, because that's really who you're talking about. So can Maurice mid season so Peter Laviolette can get us what? maybe 1 more win, if any?

I not concerned if we miss the playoffs this year given the state of our defense and some of the contracts we are carrying. But next year, when we've got rid of Buff, Kulikov, Perreault, Roslovic and have the money to sign a couple of solid defense men and Heinola is here, we better be fighting for 1st in the division.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:31 PM

You must be an eminent mystical being who can magically tell what impact different coaches would have on the Jets. Cool.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 8:36 PM

Roslovic will not be going anywhere. They're giving him the chance he wanted. He'll get better. Perreault can stay if he signs for less. He brings energy, etc. But the $4-$5m is too much.

I wonder what happens with Bryan Little.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
One has to remember that this was to be expected right when we headed into training camp (barring the Buff situation) that we would have to make do of who we lost on the blue line (Chiarot, Myers, Trouba, Morrow) and key forwards (Tanev, Dano, Lemieux).

But then the Buff situation happened, in which nobody saw, and now we had deal with what we had while being in cap hell, thanks to Buff.

You can say what you want about Buff and what he did, but you know what, he's a guy at the end of the day. It's going to sting for a while, and most likely, people won't forget this "stink" on what he did, but they will also remember who he is as a player on the ice, and a person off the ice.
The team has flatlined since Christmas last year, even with Trouba, Chiarot, Myers (the rest you mention are not difference-makers, sorry Tanev). There's a management problem related to miscalculating where the window was with the 'Atlanta Core' and the young core being at peak, but coaching isn't a net positive IMO. In a cap system where the second contract is the big one every team has significant flaws. Arguably coaching is more important than ever due to this. Maurice has a long record of mediocrity and his time in Winnipeg is developing no differently.

As a devoted fan of this team I am sad that they did not wait until the off-season to fully re-evaluate their direction and potential options moving forward. If they are worried about losing Maurice as a coaching free agent they are missing the forest for the trees. There are dozens of mediocre coaches bouncing around, we need to find a great one.

It's sad because I am almost cheering against the Jets in fear of them being within a 4-5-6 points of the playoff line at the deadline and making a misguided grab at depth pieces when we need to be doing a quick teardown and rebuild around the young core of Schiefele, Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Copp, Morrissey, Pionk, Hellebuyck.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 7:43 PM

Long time Jets fan but i’ve pretty much given up at this point, sadly. Go Ice!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 4:45 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Cool

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...orth-1.5462921

Fuelled by diminishing passion? What softer demand for Winnipeg Jets tickets means for True North

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 5:07 PM

^ I think the passion is still there, it's just that Winnipeg wallets have a hard time sustaining the demands that NHL hockey impose on them.

In a city like Vancouver or Montreal you have a lot more people earning enough money to sign on for 10 thousand dollars on a pair of season tickets a year without having to give it a second thought. I'd wager that the Jets rely more on people earning less than $100K a year for ticket sales than any other major league team.

But that said, the article makes a good point. The principal owner David Thomson can probably live with slim margins or even a small loss... if he was entirely focused on the bottom line, the Thrashers never would have come to Winnipeg in the first place.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 5:21 PM

I actually think it’s more a question of having a winning team that goes deep into the playoffs on a regular basis rather than money for tickets. Let’s face it Jets 1.0 or 2.0 has never had much success. The Bombers suffered from declining attendance gradually over time as it became increasingly unlikely they were ever going to win a Grey Cup. A winning team does wonders for support.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 5:26 PM

I had season seats but dropped them when under the new contract they wanted a max increase of 5%. No thanks. It was hard enough finding buyers for the tickets at my cost for the games I couldn't make it to .

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I actually think it’s more a question of having a winning team that goes deep into the playoffs on a regular basis rather than money for tickets. Let’s face it Jets 1.0 or 2.0 has never had much success. The Bombers suffered from declining attendance gradually over time as it became increasingly unlikely they were ever going to win a Grey Cup. A winning team does wonders for support.
It's pretty clear that the Jets' 1.5 years of dominance are pretty well over now. This is going to be a middle of the pack team for at least the next couple years. But even last season, when the Jets were still enjoying their stint as a top team, ticket demand had softened considerably. You could find resale tickets very easily and at prices close to what season ticket holders are paying. I know this from my own experience selling tickets that I couldn't use.

I know that the 2011-12 pace couldn't be sustained indefinitely, but I find it surprising how quickly we went from basically having to call in a favour to get a marked up nosebleed seat to watch a hopeless Jets team against the Panthers or whatever, to now being able to get just about any ticket on Fansfirst at season ticket holder prices to watch what is still a pretty good and entertaining team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan