HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 12:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Apparently if Buff doesn’t play, it would make Jets the youngest team (average age) in the NHL.
Buff is not going to play again.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:14 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSF View Post
Buff is not going to play again.
He's coming back.

I give him until the end of October.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 4:11 PM

The insiders are saying he's "leaning toward" retirement.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 6:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The insiders are saying he's "leaning toward" retirement.
He will be back Monday, this was all a plan. Now that Laine is signed and Conner is signed. Buff can come back. Buff was doing us a favor as once he got suspended it freed up cap space just in case some other team counter offered. Now that we didn't have to use one penny of Buffs salary he can now come back.

Also people in the know already said he's coming back. He's not the type of guy to screw over his team.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 8:59 AM

Chevy is a savage. No one should ever doubt him again. I don’t know if any other GM in the league could have done what he just did.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
He will be back Monday, this was all a plan. Now that Laine is signed and Conner is signed. Buff can come back. Buff was doing us a favor as once he got suspended it freed up cap space just in case some other team counter offered. Now that we didn't have to use one penny of Buffs salary he can now come back.

Also people in the know already said he's coming back. He's not the type of guy to screw over his team.
I think Chevy has always tried to be "firm but fair" with his signings, and I would guess most of his players know and appreciate that. If Buff did this as favour to Chevy we will probably never know for sure that is the case, but it's a pleasant thought. It should create some positive energy on the team at the start of the season.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 5:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I think Chevy has always tried to be "firm but fair" with his signings, and I would guess most of his players know and appreciate that. If Buff did this as favour to Chevy we will probably never know for sure that is the case, but it's a pleasant thought. It should create some positive energy on the team at the start of the season.
We will never know as that would upset the NHL. But we know BigBuff is a team player and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. He'd never wait till the season started and then ponder retirement. That's why and many other believe he did this just so those two contracts would get done ASAP. Now he can come back and knows the team IMO is better then last season.

Trouba was good, but he was also a locker room issue and that hurts team play.
Meyers was good also, but he also had so many stupid penalties and turnovers I think he won't be missed.
Tanev will be missed.
Now if Perrault can get his penaltie stick out of his ass and just play hockey we'd be golden.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:31 PM

Perrault is terrible. He was a liability last year and in the 2 pre-season games I watched, still a liability. Too many penalties, too many turnovers, and it seems every time he gets a great scoring opportunity, he fans on it. He's not worth the money he's getting at all.

It's funny because Kulikov has gotta be one of the worst contracts in the NHL, he's useless, but we kind of need him right now if Buff doesn't come back. It'd be Morrissey and a bunch of children... and Morrissey isn't that old himself. I'd like to see Chevy flip Kuli and maybe a couple prospects/picks for a better defenceman.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:47 PM

^ It seems like we always have some whipping boy defenseman with an albatross of a contract. Hainsey, Stuart, Enstrom, now Kulikov.

By contrast, not too many offensive pariahs except Kane for his antics, and Laine when he's slumping.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:

That's not how it works. So if they signed Laine and or Connor for more money, Buff would somehow take a pay cut? Is that what you mean? Or he would retire so the Jets could sign those 2 guys?

He could re-negotiate a contract at any time if he wants to.

Capfriendly numbers are all crazy right now with extra players and the guys being sent down via waivers being included. But the Jets have less than $1m in cap space if buff plays this year. Injuries, call-ups etc will cause that to fluctuate. But they're at the cap right now. No room for anything except trades.
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

Last edited by bomberjet; Sep 30, 2019 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Tanev will be missed.
Naah. We replaced a guy who got signed for $3.5M with 3 guys who are as good as or will be better than Tanev fof about $700K ea.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:34 PM

Another note from today. Connor wouldn't get into whether or not an offer sheet was presented to him. Provided an awkward "um, well, I can't say" answer. So yes, he declined an offer sheet would seem to be the answer.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That's not how it works. So if they signed Laine and or Connor for more money, Buff would somehow take a pay cut? Is that what you mean? Or he would retire so the Jets could sign those 2 guys?

He could re-negotiate a contract at any time if he wants to.

Capfriendly numbers are all crazy right now with extra players and the guys being sent down via waivers being included. But the Jets have less than $1m in cap space if buff plays this year. Injuries, call-ups etc will cause that to fluctuate. But they're at the cap right now. No room for anything except trades.
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets
Re-negotiation of a contract is prohibited by the CBA. Has been for a while.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:32 PM

Really? I thought it was still possible. So in that event, there is nothing Dustin can do to help the team out besides retire. Which then hoops em on defense.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:46 PM

There is enough cap space for Byfuglien once the team is down to a 23 man roster. We can still fit everyone in.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 9:29 PM

Ya loll once they cut another 5 players it'll be like 7.8 mill

Jets r fine

Skys not falling winnipeger skys not falling
Itll b ok

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 9:58 PM

That's what I'm saying. There's enough room for Buff. Bluenote was saying that buff was somehow helping the Jets by being on leave or retiring.

That's what all the negotiations hinged on. Jets had somewhere around $15M dollars to sign both Laine and Connor. They got it done.

Now if Buff actually retires, the Jets have reportedly been kicking tires on a replacement. Which IMO they'll sorely need. Would be interesting to see who they send out of town.

Little may also be concussed.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 10:03 PM

nah.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That's what I'm saying. There's enough room for Buff. Bluenote was saying that buff was somehow helping the Jets by being on leave or retiring.

That's what all the negotiations hinged on. Jets had somewhere around $15M dollars to sign both Laine and Connor. They got it done.

Now if Buff actually retires, the Jets have reportedly been kicking tires on a replacement. Which IMO they'll sorely need. Would be interesting to see who they send out of town.

Little may also be concussed.
I believe with Buff on the suspended list, he is not paid and his salary does not count towards the cap. Let's say he comes back near the halfway point of the season....Jets only have to pay a pro-rated portion of his $7.5 million salary...a little over $3.75 million. They could use that money currently to pay for another unsigned d-man. I'm not saying they would do this as they may very well stand pat with what they have, but it presents them with that option.

Last edited by blueandgoldguy; Oct 1, 2019 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:16 AM

IIRC the suspension allows them to not pay Byfuglien in real dollars, but if he comes back at any point in the season, his full salary cap hit is enforced. This is to avoid funny business with players coming out of the summer with injuries and the teams trying to skirt the salary cap rules because of that.

I believe that even if Buff played, before Connor was signed, we had $7.3m in cap space. So we should have about $200k remaining if Buff plays.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan