HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 7:34 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

WILMINGTON, DE | Crosby Hill | 140 FT | 12 FLOORS

Last edited by summersm343; Mar 17, 2021 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 11:03 PM

WILMINGTON | Crosby Hill | 140 FT | 12 FLOORS

Never thought I'd get to make a Wilmington thread!

Title: Crosby Hill
Project: Residential
Architect: Niles Bolton Associates
Developer: Buccini/Pollin Group
Neighborhood: Downtown
Floors: 12
Height: 140 feet

From the Metro Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
^Thanks for posting. I emailed with Wilmington's zoning board and they sent me some more info.

517 N. Shipley project takes up the whole block, but the tower portion sits on the 6th Street side. Two smaller buildings run up and down Orange and Shipley Streets from the tower. The renderings below seem to be early drawings but I'll take it.

The building is 11 floors tall, but the 11th floor level is 16 feet tall (5 feet taller than the other floors) and is wrapped on 3 sides with a tinted glass railing, and there are many entrances/exits to the 11th floor outdoor terrace area which perhaps makes it possible this will be the site of a rooftop bar/lounge? Or maybe, simply rooftop amenities for residences. There is a 6 foot slab/mechanical level on top of the 11th floor level ... I'm really trying to push this to the 12 floors threshold as best as I can (haha!).

Edit: there actually is a legit level below the first floor on much of the building, that isn't counted as a floor (see the red circle below, and Orange Street side rendering). Soo 12 floors?!!

6th Street:

Shipley Street:

Orange Street:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 11:10 PM

Amazing, thank you mcgrath!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 12:40 AM

This is awesome! Finally another high-rise in Wilmington!

Last edited by jonesrmj; Mar 17, 2021 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 2:06 AM
BANNED

Is this Wilmington, DE or Wilmington, NC?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 2:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Delaware.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 2:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Delaware.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2021, 3:54 PM

Looks superb! Looks like work is already starting on it too.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 10:49 PM

I talked to a BPG worker while walking around this site today, he gave me some news (which is much appreciated). This project is definitely full steam ahead, the main tower crane will be erected in May.

Secondly, the old Frank Furness building which is next to here (on Market Street) and being renovated by BPG, will not only be a hotel, but BPG is putting an additional level to the top of the building which will be a rooftop bar/lounge. He also mentioned BPG is looking into putting an "underground bar" and restaurant on the ground level of the hotel as well (this must be related to their possible use of neighboring Willingtown Square).

As far as completion times, he said the hotel/bar will take about a year or so, and this project will be around two years.

Stock photo: Me

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7416...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 4:37 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

You be on it Jawn, just drove through Wilmington tonight and oh my god.

It's amazing how much the city has changed in 1 year, I was just here all the time before I moved to Philly.

Wilmington definitely has a night life presence now. I literally saw someone walking a POODLE.

We are definitely in a boom now!

Check out some more pictures also this project is definitely underway like Jawn said, two streets are blocked off and fences are up.

Also Jawn did they say what they were doing with that building on the corner of the lot? is it staying is it being incorporated what's going on?

I can't see 3 buildings fitting on this plot.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 12:32 PM

The building at 501 Shipley St., is owned by someone else - "Fifth and Shipley, LLC" - they are staying. If you look at the main colored rendering, they show that building as simply a gray box. Then you have the 6 windows of the low-rise infill (white building), which leads into the tower running across 6th Street.

Forgot to mention, but I'll add here. BPG is definitely building something next at the corner of 4th and Market--where they demo'd those buildings this past summer. The BPG guy confirmed this. I would not be surprised if that spot is the location for BPG's next ground-up built project. BGP guy mentioned they might have to demo one more building, but that site is already being planned for.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 2:08 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
The building at 501 Shipley St., is owned by someone else - "Fifth and Shipley, LLC" - they are staying. If you look at the main colored rendering, they show that building as simply a gray box. Then you have the 6 windows of the low-rise infill (white building), which leads into the tower running across 6th Street.

Forgot to mention, but I'll add here. BPG is definitely building something next at the corner of 4th and Market--where they demo'd those buildings this past summer. The BPG guy confirmed this. I would not be surprised if that spot is the location for BPG's next ground-up built project. BGP guy mentioned they might have to demo one more building, but that site is already being planned for.
BPG Will need a monument soon they have been holding the city down for a decade+ now. That building is gonna bring a different feel to Market/Shipley.

Amazing to see that other spot get filled in, when I drove by it the other night I wondered what would be built there.

Any word on that development by A street and the riverfront that the Baltimore developers were supposed to be building? They said they were breaking ground this year & what's going on with the Slavation army and that other plot next to it isn't that Phase 2 of the Christana Towers?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:31 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

What Machine are they installing?

Taken Today.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 12:33 AM

Seems to be some sort of drilling going on:

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 4:46 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Crane Base is going up as well as some digging.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 4:47 PM

^Awesome. I remember the BPG construction guy told me the crane would go up in May... he wasn't lying!

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 6:19 PM

Its nice to see new construction in Wilmington.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 7:23 AM

Nice project! What was historically at this site?

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Nice project! What was historically at this site?
The entire block except the cool building (see below) at the corner were all razed to be a parking lot decades ago, I believe in the 1970s during Wilmington's "Civic Center" and ill-fated downtown "shopping mall" urban renewal planning. The 70s saw a lot of 19th-early 20th century buildings razed for parking lots in downtown Wilmington (with the belief developers would come in and develop these lots, something that largely never happened).

The corner building here was a furniture/commercial building called the John Brand Furniture Company Building. And the name of this tower going up is Crosby Hill, in homage to the Crosby and Hill dry goods department store that operated at 605 N. Market (the building remains and was renovated by BPG, see link below). I think there's a good chance the block being developed was filled with other commercial buildings that supported the Market Street shopping district of generations past.

The former Crosby and Hill department store building:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/60...!4d-75.5503006

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 7:20 AM

I’m glad nothing interesting is being removed for this tower. One less parking lot is always a good thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive