HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 1:20 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Many thanks, OTL.

By the way, I saw you at the Downs this past Saturday. Would have come over to say hello, but I was pretty busy in between races trying to figure out betting, etc. It was my first time there, but I did manage to walk out of there with $8 more in my pocket, so it was ok.
Sweet... I am also a horse race fan. Winning a perfecta box is one of lifes pleasures.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 1:43 AM
surely you agree with me

came across this:

It may surprise you to learn that Winnipeg has the 5th highest number of corporate head offices in Canada. (fourth highest per capita)

There are almost as many Top 500 corporations headquartered in Winnipeg (18) as there are in Edmonton (8) and Ottawa (11) combined.

The number of corporate head office employees in Winnipeg (6900) is almost as high as that of Edmonton (4600) and Ottawa (3400) combined.

When considering head offices outside of the Top 500, Winnipeg (129) is between Edmonton (157) and Ottawa (101).

Of the top 500 publicly traded companies in Canada (highest returns 2006), Winnipeg had 10 companies on the list as compared to Edmonton with 7, Ottawa with 6, Quebec City with 2 and Hamilton with 0.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 2:05 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

o ya i remember these stats being posted last year also.........

were doing not to shaby

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 3:38 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
came across this:

It may surprise you to learn that Winnipeg has the 5th highest number of corporate head offices in Canada. (fourth highest per capita)

There are almost as many Top 500 corporations headquartered in Winnipeg (18) as there are in Edmonton (8) and Ottawa (11) combined.

The number of corporate head office employees in Winnipeg (6900) is almost as high as that of Edmonton (4600) and Ottawa (3400) combined.

When considering head offices outside of the Top 500, Winnipeg (129) is between Edmonton (157) and Ottawa (101).

Of the top 500 publicly traded companies in Canada (highest returns 2006), Winnipeg had 10 companies on the list as compared to Edmonton with 7, Ottawa with 6, Quebec City with 2 and Hamilton with 0.

Wished we had more buildings in our downtown which reflected this point. I also wished Great West had a taller head office to reflect the size and importance of this massive insurance and investment company.

Now that GWL was purchased Putnum Investments (large US mutual fund company) l would expect more administrative positions moving to Winnipeg and thus more office space required. While GWL will maintain Putnum's US headoffice GWL will still likely expand to managed its joint administration.
I expect some form of annoucement in the next year in regards to GWL's required office expansion. Hopefully a new highrise is on the horizon.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 3:42 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Wished we had more buildings in our downtown which reflected this point. I also wished Great West had a taller head office to reflect the size and importance of this massive insurance and investment company.

Now that GWL was purchased Putnum Investments (large US mutual fund company) l would expect more administrative positions moving to Winnipeg and thus more office space required. While GWL will maintain Putnum's US headoffice GWL will still likely expand to managed its joint administration.
I expect some form of annoucement in the next year in regards to GWL's required office expansion. Hopefully a new highrise is on the horizon.
Based on the recent decisions made in that city, I wouldn't hold my breath, unfortunately This city can be so fucking frustrating sometimes.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 3:45 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Based on the recent decisions made in that city, I wouldn't hold my breath, unfortunately
Well I never said there wouldn't be protesters.

Hell it might kill the habitat of some of those ugly tree worms.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 6:35 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Barley futures looking bright:
Price up $12.50 a tonne since Monday, Strahl's marketing proclamation discounted

Wed Jun 13 2007

By Larry Kusch

BARLEY futures prices on the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange have soared in the wake of the federal government's announcement Monday that the Canadian Wheat Board would lose its sales monopoly Aug. 1.
The WCE's October barley price reached the $7.50 daily trading limit on Monday and was up another $5 on Tuesday for a two-day rise of $12.50 a tonne. Tuesday's $168 close for October barley was a contract high.

The October contract was introduced last July and is designed to accommodate the new dual market for barley.

Will Hill, senior vice-president of the exchange, said while barley supplies are tight and world prices are climbing, the government's announcement that farmers would be free to sell their barley outside the wheat board seven weeks from now was obviously endorsed by the market.

"I think it's more than coincidental that we're up here $12 or $13 following the announcement," he said, noting that it's been rare to see barley rise "limit-up" in recent years.

On Tuesday, Winnipeg barley prices were up strongly across the board, but corn was down and beans were down, Hill noted.
However, Winnipeg market analyst Greg Kostal said he doubted that Agriculture Minister Chuck Strahl's announcement had a large impact on WCE prices, arguing that the grain trade was well aware of the government's intentions.

Kostal said crop problems in Ukraine, which represents 25 per cent of world barley trade, and strong Middle East demand have driven up world prices significantly in recent days.

He said it was largely "coincidental" that the Winnipeg price rose as much as it did this week after Strahl's announcement Monday morning that the government had passed regulations ending the wheat board's sales monopoly over barley.

Kostal said any uncertainty over Canada's barley marketing system, in the light of the minister's announcement and a subsequent court challenge to the manner in which Ottawa is carrying out the change, is also unlikely to be driving prices higher. If anything, the legal wrangling should be having a dampening effect, he said.

Meanwhile, a wheat board official said Tuesday that the grain-selling giant is still working out details of how it will function in an open-market environment for barley.

Ward Wiesensel, the board's chief operating officer, said job No. 1 is working out the logistics to ensure that the board is able to attract sufficient supplies to meet the "significant" sales the CWB already has on the books for the new crop year.

"The concept of an annual price pool is definitely not on at all," Wiesensel said, although the board is unsure of exactly what will replace it.

"It could be a very, very short pool, a very small pool, and we have not determined what the length would be." Currently, farmers' barley returns are based on the value of Canadian Wheat Board sales, less expenses, over an entire crop year.

The wheat board's directors held a special conference call early Tuesday morning to discuss Strahl's announcement the day before that barley marketing rules would change Aug. 1, but board chairman Ken Ritter said the group reserved its decision on what response it would make.

"We felt it prudent to give some time for not only directors to think about this, but also for us to gather more information before we make a decision (on a possible legal challenge)."

Also Tuesday, Manitoba Agriculture Minister Rosann Wowchuk confirmed that the province had donated $20,000 to Friends of the Canadian Wheat Board to help the group mount its court challenge against the federal government.

The organization has filed suit in Federal Court saying that Ottawa is acting illegally in removing the wheat board's sales monopoly through regulation, as opposed to passing legislation.

The Friends, a loosely organized group of up to 500 farmers and city residents, are confident they can raise the $40,000 to $50,000 they say it will cost to mount the legal challenge, spokesman Bob Roehle said.

larry.kusch@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 1:23 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Sask. Wheat Pool takes over at Agricore

Last Updated: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 | 5:58 PM CT

CBC News

The Saskatchewan Wheat Pool has officially taken the reins of the Winnipeg-based grain company Agricore United.
On Wednesday, Agricore's board of directors resigned and was replaced by the Regina-based Wheat Pool's board.The same day, the Wheat Pool announced that Agricore CEO Brian Hayward had retired and had been replaced by Wheat Pool president Mayo Schmidt.
The last hurdle before the takeover is complete is a hearing before the Manitoba Court of Queen's Bench on Friday. Once the court give its approval, Agricore will become a wholly owned subsidiary the Wheat Pool and will be delisted from the Toronto Stock Exchange.
Wednesday's developments followed months of struggle for Agricore. The Wheat Pool launched a takeover bid in the fall, largely based on a stock swap that Agricore had initially resisted.
Then another Winnipeg-based grain company, James Richardson International, entered the fray as Agricore's white knight, offering to pay

However, the Wheat Pool upped its bid and in May and Agricore accepted the takeover.
Wheat Pool is paying $20.50 cash per Agricore common share. It's also paying $24 in cash for each preferred share.
The value of the takeover, including assumed debt, is about $1.8 billion.
The Wheat Pool, once half the size of Agricore, will become Canada's largest grain dealing company. Schmidt said the new company would have sales of about $4 billion a year and a market capitalization of about $2 billion.
There is no word yet where the headquarters of the new company will be located.
However, Schmidt said last month the name of the new company will not be Saskatchewan Wheat Pool.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 1:36 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Sask. Wheat Pool takes over at Agricore

Last Updated: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 | 5:58 PM CT

CBC News

The Saskatchewan Wheat Pool has officially taken the reins of the Winnipeg-based grain company Agricore United.
On Wednesday, Agricore's board of directors resigned and was replaced by the Regina-based Wheat Pool's board.The same day, the Wheat Pool announced that Agricore CEO Brian Hayward had retired and had been replaced by Wheat Pool president Mayo Schmidt.
The last hurdle before the takeover is complete is a hearing before the Manitoba Court of Queen's Bench on Friday. Once the court give its approval, Agricore will become a wholly owned subsidiary the Wheat Pool and will be delisted from the Toronto Stock Exchange.
Wednesday's developments followed months of struggle for Agricore. The Wheat Pool launched a takeover bid in the fall, largely based on a stock swap that Agricore had initially resisted.
Then another Winnipeg-based grain company, James Richardson International, entered the fray as Agricore's white knight, offering to pay

However, the Wheat Pool upped its bid and in May and Agricore accepted the takeover.
Wheat Pool is paying $20.50 cash per Agricore common share. It's also paying $24 in cash for each preferred share.
The value of the takeover, including assumed debt, is about $1.8 billion.
The Wheat Pool, once half the size of Agricore, will become Canada's largest grain dealing company. Schmidt said the new company would have sales of about $4 billion a year and a market capitalization of about $2 billion.
There is no word yet where the headquarters of the new company will be located.
However, Schmidt said last month the name of the new company will not be Saskatchewan Wheat Pool.

I don't see this as good business news for Winnipeg, since most likely the company's HQ's will be relocating to Regina?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 2:56 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post

i was amazed to learn that GWL is the 8th largest company by annual revenue in canada....higher than encana, royal bank and shell....it is seriously under represented physically in our city...if a company that important was in another city, it would have a 50 storey tower.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/rank...Cols=&content=

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 3:11 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
i was amazed to learn that GWL is the 8th largest company by annual revenue in canada....higher than encana, royal bank and shell....it is seriously under represented physically in our city...if a company that important was in another city, it would have a 50 storey tower.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/rank...Cols=&content=
Oh yeah .. its massive!! .. and getting bigger.

If GWL focused on a highrise instead of there campus structure of buildings Winnipeg would have one impressive skyscraper.

Last edited by newflyer; Jun 15, 2007 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 3:57 AM
Capitalist

The new Winnipeg Chamber Magazine is out.

Some great articles, including an overview of the expected economic impact of the new Human Right Museum on the downtown.

You can read it online ...

http://www.winnipeg-chamber.com/index.asp?sectid=278

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 4:14 AM
surely you agree with me

^one of my good buddies is the editor of that magazine....raging conservative...you would like him newflyer.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 4:20 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
^one of my good buddies is the editor of that magazine....raging conservative...you would like him newflyer.
Cool.. ... you must have very interesting conversations.

Last edited by newflyer; Jun 15, 2007 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 5:02 AM
surely you agree with me

^they always end in one of us saying..."i cant believe i am friends with you".

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 5:53 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

i keep on walking by GWL and cursing. all those employees, completely removed from the fabric of downtown.

they've got a 40 storey tower in Denver. why not here? assmunchers.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 6:34 AM
Capitalist

Putnam alone manages $295 Billion U.S ... and has over 2800 employees.

.... now a part of GWL... of which the numbers in the table above don't reflect.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 5:12 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
^they always end in one of us saying..."i cant believe i am friends with you".
I love people like that. It's one of those situations where both parties make each other feel smarter when they're around each other because of their own self-inflated ideologies.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 2:15 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

AC Machinists Worried About Wpg's Future
JUN 19 2007 02:50 PM

The union representing 650 machinists in Winnipeg is very uneasy about the potential sale of Air Canada Maintenance to Lufthansa Airlines.
The President of Local International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Lorne Hammerberg tells CJOB, the recent purchase of a facility in El Salvador triggered alarm bells:

670 maintenance jobs were recently lost in Vancouver.

CJOB News

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 3:33 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
AC Machinists Worried About Wpg's Future
JUN 19 2007 02:50 PM

The union representing 650 machinists in Winnipeg is very uneasy about the potential sale of Air Canada Maintenance to Lufthansa Airlines.
The President of Local International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Lorne Hammerberg tells CJOB, the recent purchase of a facility in El Salvador triggered alarm bells:

670 maintenance jobs were recently lost in Vancouver.

CJOB News
Yet another example of time passing unions by. It may end up costing Winnipeg a few hundred union jobs, but I can at least take comfort in the fact there will be a few hundred less union jobs in Winnipeg.

Who knows maybe a handful of those people will start up businesses of there own.. and end up supporting economic growth over milking the system.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan