HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 3:59 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I actually like the multiple skylines around Houston rather than one huge concentration

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I actually like the multiple skylines around Houston rather than one huge concentration
...but they are just that, cluster of skyscrapers in different locations, instead of a concentrated synergy.

Only downtown has a synergy- mix of offices, entertainment, restaurants, bars, sporting venues, urban parks, theater, etc.

The Med Center has dense offices (medical) but little else.

Uptown, does have offices plus shopping but they are so spread out it is literally a safety hazard to walk through Uptown.

The others, like Greenway, are automobile dominated suburban clusters in the city.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 5:32 PM
Houston:Considered Good

One thing Houston could have done is have a deed restriction ordinance that limited high rises to neighborhoods that the city deemed fit for high rises. Not only would that do what we are talking about but it would keep high rises out of single family home residential neighborhoods where people have a high rise peeking in to their back yards.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 6:02 PM

I think the multiple clusters of towers makes Houston the perfect candidate city to create multiple nodes in a true 15-minute city. It’d be great to see each cluster turned into the neighborhoods “downtown.” It would also be a good candidate for an express train rapid transit network and could somewhat easily be transformed by walkable zoning in places like downtown, galleria, med district, and the various clusters within the loop.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 6:59 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
...but they are just that, cluster of skyscrapers in different locations, instead of a concentrated synergy.

Only downtown has a synergy- mix of offices, entertainment, restaurants, bars, sporting venues, urban parks, theater, etc.

The Med Center has dense offices (medical) but little else.

Uptown, does have offices plus shopping but they are so spread out it is literally a safety hazard to walk through Uptown.

The others, like Greenway, are automobile dominated suburban clusters in the city.
There is no synergy downtown only when there's an even or the Astros/ Rockets are playing. Otherwise it's pretty dead. Perhaps in another 10-15 years with more residential development it will change. As for the TMC, no need for it to be anything else. It's where sick people go so not exactly the funnest place to be.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 7:23 PM

Quote:
There is no synergy downtown only when there's an even or the Astros/ Rockets are playing. Otherwise it's pretty dead. Perhaps in another 10-15 years with more residential development it will change. As for the TMC, no need for it to be anything else. It's where sick people go so not exactly the funnest place to be.
I disagree with you here highly. I can go there on a weekend, or weekday morning and it will be filled with people, who live work and visit the area, depending on where you are downtown. Visit the historic district/skyline district/ Main Street/Discovery Green area more often. It will be busy with people at most times of the day on both weekdays and weekends.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Really? The Discovery Green area is usually always packed...during the week and on weekends.

I was there a few weeks ago when the conventions were getting out and all of the restaurants around the park were 'waiting list' only.

And that is a normal occurrence these days....now add Astros, Rockets, concerts, theater, park visitors and a growing residential population and you have the roots of 'Synergy'.

I do wish we would locate some more museums downtown.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 9:22 PM

Yeah, JManc doesn’t live in Houston anymore from my understanding. The new residential downtown high rises have had a big impact, IMO.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Yeah, JManc doesn’t live in Houston anymore from my understanding. The new residential downtown high rises have had a big impact, IMO.
I agree, the residential + added hotels+ new parks has really helped.

Downtown is, bar far, our biggest hope of a urban district full of a synergy of different uses.

All of the other areas have glaring negatives, missing pieces, or "bad bones".

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 9:30 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I only left Houston on July and am back every few weeks. Downtown still leaves much to be desired when there's no game, nothing going on at DG or a convention. Covid didn't help matters either. As I said, I do think as more residential opens up, downtown will flourish at but for a metro Houston's size, it's way behind the curve.

Agreed about a museum.

Still back to my original point, i like the multiple skyline clusters which has little to do with activity on the street level.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 12:05 AM

I like things the way they are in Houston. An increasingly vibrant downtown and multiple tall building nodes around the city. When I'm in cities that have just a downtown area and nothing else but low rise stuff, I get really bored after leaving downtown.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 12:23 AM
DENNAB

I admit I underestimate Houston, it definitely has potential to be #3 in the US, probably tied with Miami.

I know there are a few 5-700+ foot proposals but I feel it's been ages since we've heard anything. A new tallest is overdo as well I'd say.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 8:45 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I admit I underestimate Houston, it definitely has potential to be #3 in the US, probably tied with Miami.

I know there are a few 5-700+ foot proposals but I feel it's been ages since we've heard anything. A new tallest is overdo as well I'd say.
I think a lot of people do that for whatever reason. Part of it is probably because the Houston specific website - HAIF is where most of the discussion about projects takes place rather than on SSP. Same story for Dallas and Dallas Metropolis and Fort Worth and Fort Worth Architecture. Part of it also is that buildings of certain heights don't necessarily phase people in some places like they might in others. A lot of the towers that have been built in the past few years are somewhere between 200-500 ft, minus some of the more substantial trophy towers.

I edited the information for Houston's section on Emporis for close to 20 years, and basically set up a project entry as soon as I saw something substantial in terms of information on HAIF. Other than HAIF, that was probably the most up to date website on local developments. That's why the number of projects that were under construction on that site was probably never under 60 for the past ten years, and there were at least 220 active proposals. In fact, just before it closed down last month, we were tracking 83 or 84 individual buildings of various sizes being built! Keep in mind that was within the city proper, and doesn't count projects that were being tracked around the metro!

There are more than a few issues with the current list of buildings on SSP for what it's worth. Some have individual project threads on this site, but no entry in the database here. Many structures are missing heights. Others are in the wrong status.

Some examples...

Texas Tower & Brava (still listed as The Preston) have been complete for a while.

This one ultimately ended up being a 17-story tower that was completed in 2021 and is now named Marathon Oil Tower. The building that previously had that name reverted to identifying by it's address of 5555 San Felipe.

Here are just a few that I know that are missing from the database but are either proposed or under construction. They are linked to either the HAIF or SSP thread, if one exists.

Under Construction

Houston Methodist Centennial Tower - 29 Floors / 511 FT

Texas A&M Innovation Plaza (Life & Horizon Towers) - 19 Floors / 268 Ft & 30 Floors / 488 Ft

X Houston - 35 Floors / 370 FT

Modera Waugh - 17 Floors

The Hawthorrne - 17 Floors / 215 FT

Haven at Elgin - 16 Floors

Proposed

2120 Post Oak - 43 Floors

1661 Tanglewood - 34 Floors / 522 Ft

3615 Montrose Blvd - 36 Floors / 512 Ft

Uptown Oaks - 34 Floors

Iconia Hotel & Residences - 39 Floors / ?Ft & 22 Floors (x2) 271 FT

Holiday Inn Express / Staybridge Suites Downtown Houston - 16 Floors

Completed but not in Database

The McKinley - 25 Floors

Bowen River Oaks - 25 Floors

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 10:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Awesome list!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 1:18 AM

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 12:53 PM
FYHA

2120 Post Oak

Image c/o Uptown Houston

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Sear...TABS2023002749

Project has shown up the TDLR database. Starting in December and wrapping up in 2025.

COH permit pulled for structure - c/o Highrise Tower on HAIF

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 2:40 PM
FYHA

TMC Helix Park

The University of Houston Biomed Research & Education Building at the development was mentioned during the 2022 Fall Address given yesterday by UH President Renu Khator.

Image from presentation

University of Houston Campus

Among the updates to the campus include a redevelopment of Cullen Family Plaza, expanding it to the northwest toward McElhinney Hall. It will require the demolition of Farish Hall and will be renamed Centennial Plaza when complete.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 1:46 PM
FYHA

3300 Montrose / Ex-Disco Kroger Site

Rendering c/o Southeastern, somehow with the wrong address on it.

Then again - the article itself is a bit off. The building is 9 floors, not 7. A photo of the old Kroger describes it as the "current" version of the site though the site has been cleared for some time. Oh well...

https://therealdeal.com/texas/2022/1...-68m-mid-rise/

Quote:
Site of Houston’s ‘Disco Kroger’ set for $68M mid-rise
Luxe complex will have 330 units and two parking garages

By Karn Dhingra | Research By Christian Bautista

Texas
Houston
October 12, 2022 03:34 PM

Plans for the former site of the “Disco Kroger” — once arguably the most famous grocery store in Houston — have been finalized.

Georgia-based developer Southeastern plans to turn the site of the former 24-hour Kroger — which for nearly 40 years was frequented mostly by late-night and early-morning shoppers leaving nearby Montrose neighborhood LGBTQ bars and clubs when they closed for the night — into a seven-story $68 million mid-rise apartment complex, with two parking garages.

The Houston office of Swedish construction giant Skanska reportedly bought the site for $27 million in 2021, according to a piece from longtime Houston real estate reporter Ralph Bivins.

Houston’s “Disco Kroger ” was also unique because of its art deco-inspired accents and the dance music pumped through the store’s speakers. Soon after the store closed in January 2021, the boarded-up store was graffitied with the message: “RIP Montrose.”

Last edited by Wattleigh; Oct 14, 2022 at 4:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
I think a lot of people do that for whatever reason. Part of it is probably because the Houston specific website - HAIF is where most of the discussion about projects takes place rather than on SSP. Same story for Dallas and Dallas Metropolis and Fort Worth and Fort Worth Architecture. Part of it also is that buildings of certain heights don't necessarily phase people in some places like they might in others. A lot of the towers that have been built in the past few years are somewhere between 200-500 ft, minus some of the more substantial trophy towers.

I edited the information for Houston's section on Emporis for close to 20 years, and basically set up a project entry as soon as I saw something substantial in terms of information on HAIF. Other than HAIF, that was probably the most up to date website on local developments. That's why the number of projects that were under construction on that site was probably never under 60 for the past ten years, and there were at least 220 active proposals. In fact, just before it closed down last month, we were tracking 83 or 84 individual buildings of various sizes being built! Keep in mind that was within the city proper, and doesn't count projects that were being tracked around the metro!

There are more than a few issues with the current list of buildings on SSP for what it's worth. Some have individual project threads on this site, but no entry in the database here. Many structures are missing heights. Others are in the wrong status.

Some examples...

Texas Tower & Brava (still listed as The Preston) have been complete for a while.

This one ultimately ended up being a 17-story tower that was completed in 2021 and is now named Marathon Oil Tower. The building that previously had that name reverted to identifying by it's address of 5555 San Felipe.

Here are just a few that I know that are missing from the database but are either proposed or under construction. They are linked to either the HAIF or SSP thread, if one exists.

Under Construction

Texas A&M Innovation Plaza (Life & Horizon Towers) - 19 Floors / 268 Ft & 30 Floors / 488 Ft

Modera Waugh - 17 Floors

Proposed

Uptown Oaks - 34 Floors

The McKinley - 25 Floors

I'm sure some of those high-rise clusters will over time connect and form larger skylines.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2022, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post

Some examples...

Under Construction

Modera Waugh - 17 Floors

Proposed

Uptown Oaks - 34 Floors

The McKinley - 25 Floors

A few more:

1550 on The Green - 28 Stories - Under Construction

Hanover Autry Park - 40-Stories - Proposed

The RO Residential - 37-Stories - Proposed

Farb Hyde Park - 20-stories - Proposed

Regent Square Phase III - 16-stories - Proposed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations