HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Five World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 15, 2010, 10:57 PM

Why would they even build a hotel in the vicinity of the one behind it? There are way too many hotels in and around the World Trade Center.

The PA really needs to think outside the box.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 12:12 AM

I just want it to be a hotel because the original had one.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 1:33 AM

But is there really a need for one? Already there have been several more hotels built in the area, and several more including 99 Church are in the works.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 2:30 AM

awsomeness i hope this tower will look just as good as the rest of the towers. any guess on a height?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 3:46 AM
Danny proud New Yorker

hopefully it's at least the height of 7 wtc.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdagreatest View Post
hopefully it's at least the height of 7 wtc.
ya i was guessing that too somewhere from 600 to 700 ft.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2010, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
I just want it to be a hotel because the original had one.
Well there's already one across the street from the site, very close to where the old one used to be, of a similar size and cladding. It's a restored building damaged during 9/11. To the left is the current state of the Deutsche Bank Building that occupies the site of 5 WTC.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 3:03 AM

130 Cedar, 123 Washington, Millennium Hilton, Embassy Suites, Marriott Downtown, and 99 Church when it is completed. I think 6+ hotels within a few blocks are more than enough for the time being.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 8:48 AM
Desert Dweller

That World Center Hotel is really confusing, I wonder why they chose to give it that odd shape, before 9/11 I remember the building didn't have those two sides wedged off.

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind, a quick image search shows that they actually expanded the already oddly shaped building.

Source: http://www.nyc-architecture.com/LM/LM076.htm

Last edited by Patrick; Jun 17, 2010 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 4:53 PM

That is some of the worst architecture I've ever seen, who in the hell let them build that?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 8:05 PM
Desert Dweller

^Agreed, what makes it even worse is how visible it is, right next door to the World Trade Center site. I'm not a big fan of that new 123 Washington Building directly behind it, they both look very cheaply made when surrounded by all those older buildings.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 9:08 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I'm a fan of 123 W, but I agree that the renovation to 130 Cedar definitely made it worse.

Last edited by scalziand; Jun 26, 2010 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 11:22 PM

When all the WTC towers are complete no one will notice those buildings ever again.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 4:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
When all the WTC towers are complete no one will notice those buildings ever again.
No one notices them now, really.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 6:04 PM
New Yorker for life

http://downtownexpress.com/de_374/undercover.html

Quote:
No P.A.C. at Tower 5

On Tuesday the Port Authority board approved an agreement with NYC whereby the city will reimburse the authority for $44 million worth of work happening below grade on behalf of the Performing Arts Center. When asked if the action killed any hope of having the P.A.C. constructed at the Tower 5 site, home to the old Deutsche Bank Building currently being demolished, spokesperson Steve Coleman said, “I assume so. It’s going to be built on the site where it was intended.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

http://dnainfo.com/20100625/manhatta...-deutsche-site

Port Authority Chief Doesn't Want to Wait a Decade to Develop Deutsche Site

June 25, 2010
By Julie Shapiro

Quote:
A mixed-used skyscraper that provides residential living and shops, along with office space, should rise on the site of the Deutsche Bank building, Port Authority executive director Chris Ward said Friday morning.

Speaking a day after outgoing deputy mayor Rober Lieber said the Deutsche site should remain a hole in the ground for a decade while the office market recovers, the Port Authority chief said he saw no reason to wait to build Tower 5.

“We’re going to have to be flexible and creative downtown,” Ward told DNAinfo. “Let’s keep our options open to create the best possible project.”

Ward was responding to Dep. Mayor Robert Lieber’s statement on Thursday that the site for World Trade Center Tower 5 could stay vacant for the next decade, until the real estate market demands additional office space there.

Ward, though, said he envisioned that Tower 5 could follow in the footsteps of the Time Warner Center, which contains offices, condos, a hotel and retail space.

If the Port Authority keeps its options open and works with developers to make the project successful, “something will happen well before 10 years,” Ward said.

Julie Menin, chairwoman of Community Board 1, said she had spoken to residential and hotel developers who were interested in building there, and she hoped affordable housing could be part of the future plan as well.

Menin said it is important to start planning now so the community is not left with “another hole in the ground” once the Deutsche Bank building finally comes down at the end of this year.

“We should not let this languish,” Menin said. “We should get ahead of the curve.”

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 5:19 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

It seems to me that the longer it gets pushed into the future, the more important the office space will become. Still, nobody knows how much demand there will be from the next office boom which seems to be getting underway as the economy begins to improve.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 9:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
It seems to me that the longer it gets pushed into the future, the more important the office space will become. Still, nobody knows how much demand there will be from the next office boom which seems to be getting underway as the economy begins to improve.
The amount allowed on the site for office space needs to remain, but a mixed use tower wouldn't be bad if the city allows for the increased footage.

Quote:
Ward, though, said he envisioned that Tower 5 could follow in the footsteps of the Time Warner Center, which contains offices, condos, a hotel and retail space.

If the Port Authority keeps its options open and works with developers to make the project successful, “something will happen well before 10 years,” Ward said.
They haven't decided where to put the WTC hotel space. It was originally planned to be a part of Tower 2. It seems the only place left would be Tower 5. The problem with trying to combine so much on that site is the "height limit" given by the site plan, meaning it has to be lower than the 975 ft Tower 4. Good to see that the PA once again has faith in Downtown rebuilding.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 1:40 AM

They haven't decided where to put the WTC hotel space. It was originally planned to be a part of Tower 2. It seems the only place left would be Tower 5. The problem with trying to combine so much on that site is the "height limit" given by the site plan, meaning it has to be lower than the 975 ft Tower 4. Good to see that the PA once again has faith in Downtown rebuilding.[/QUOTE]

i wouldnt mind a 700-800 ft. tower

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
They haven't decided where to put the WTC hotel space. It was originally planned to be a part of Tower 2. It seems the only place left would be Tower 5. The problem with trying to combine so much on that site is the "height limit" given by the site plan, meaning it has to be lower than the 975 ft Tower 4. Good to see that the PA once again has faith in Downtown rebuilding.
i wouldnt mind a 700-800 ft. tower[/QUOTE]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals