HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 1:34 PM

The arch is a small detail that really makes it... it gives the whole building an identity.

It's going to be a very nice building, it will be such a huge improvement for what is currently a wasteland of a block.

With a cluster of existing residential highrises along Smith from York to St. Mary Ave. with one more on the way (Smith Street Lofts) and now this project, there is going to be a growing critical mass of downtown residents around there. You can already feel the presence a bit with the foot traffic, dog walkers, etc., but I wonder if we might see a few more small business storefronts pop up to serve the growing population. I also wonder if as a result of all this activity we might finally see redevelopment of the old Legion Hall at Smith and St. Mary.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 1:39 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

It looks like something you would see in a bigger city like Chicago. Well done, Number 10.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 1:42 PM

Congrats on a beautiful building. I agree, the arch adds a certain city glamour to the project that is really nice to see here. Very sophisticated looking overall.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 1:46 PM

Glad to finally see the render. Looks like a beautiful, classic building. Nice addition to downtown. Having said that...just returned from Halifax. Some amazing development and design going on there...virtually all residential. It is a small compact downtown, with lots of hotels (of course there is a great deal of tourism there) and tons of restaurants and pubs in a concentrated area. Lots of residential downtown and adjacent that also feeds the restaurants. Homelessness etc is almost non existent, and the streets/sidewalks are mostly clean. Something to be learned there! On the flip side, the streets and many highways are in absolutely horrific/unsafe/shocking condition!!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:06 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
u should sneak 2 gargoyles into the area at the setback along the arch one on each side

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:10 PM

Gargoyles will mess with the nice, clean lines!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:10 PM

Well done! Can't wait to see it go up

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:13 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Gargoyles will mess with the nice, clean lines!
pft it needs some flair and thy seemed to help with mts center...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:17 PM

I like the balconies that some of the suites have. This makes up for the meh proposal for the St. Regis with the dozen levels of parking. You win some you lose some, both are welcome.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 2:18 PM
surely you agree with me

A gargoyle or two is a great idea.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 3:10 PM

Nice to see a new build that takes itself seriously, if that makes sense.

Not sure yet about the massing/recessed bit with the different material but that facade with the archway is an excellent elevation.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 4:11 PM

That is going to be fantastic there. Now I'm really sad it didn't happen before I moved away from the block. Seeing that rise out my window would have been incredible, even if the noise would have been a bit annoying.

Both of the street faces look great, unlike certain recent (and not so recent) buildings in the area...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 4:54 PM

All the more critical now that the lot across the street (west side) be developed. One additional note per the state of Halifax downtown -virtually NO empty/parking lots. Obviously this is in large part a product of the already compact downtown. So please, the lot on the west side of Donald needs to go! Doesn't need a hi-rise - but a smart, well considered, respectful development. Next up...York east of Convention Ctr.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 5:07 PM

^ The sheer size of our downtown is a tremendous obstacle to overcome for sure. A single highrise residential building can make a major impact in a place like Victoria, Saskatoon or Halifax but it is barely noticed here... you need a cluster for them to be truly felt.

But that said, most new developments downtown are fairly substantial in size. You don't often see one or two storey buildings go up. So new projects like this one that are going up on parking lots are still a huge net gain in that you get the benefit of eliminating a windswept parking lot, and adding a significant new building. Not that downtown Winnipeg has been undergoing a development boom or anything, but there has been enough built (or commenced) over the last 10 years to really make a noticeable impact on the large, ugly clusters of parking lots downtown.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 5:58 PM

Classy and sophisticated. This will be a huge boost to Donald St. Hats off.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 6:01 PM
What could go wrong?

To me the area's in red below are the biggest gap/holes in our downtown that keep it from being a cohesive unit. If we work to fill these holes - which the Donald/St Mary and hopefully 285 Smith projects will start, I feel that downtown will just have manageable holes (single empty lot as opposed to a wasteland like in red).

I am not including the Main St strip (around York) and the Forks as they are on the edge of downtown and don't give the same feeling like the gaps in it's center.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 6:06 PM

No argument!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
Glad to finally see the render. Looks like a beautiful, classic building. Nice addition to downtown. Having said that...just returned from Halifax. Some amazing development and design going on there...virtually all residential. It is a small compact downtown, with lots of hotels (of course there is a great deal of tourism there) and tons of restaurants and pubs in a concentrated area. Lots of residential downtown and adjacent that also feeds the restaurants. Homelessness etc is almost non existent, and the streets/sidewalks are mostly clean. Something to be learned there! On the flip side, the streets and many highways are in absolutely horrific/unsafe/shocking condition!!
I was there in early May and was blown away how much development was happening in downtown area. And I drove all the way to Syndney and Cape Breton , Cabot Trail and I thought the highways were majority were more than fine.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
To me the area's in red below are the biggest gap/holes in our downtown that keep it from being a cohesive unit. If we work to fill these holes - which the Donald/St Mary and hopefully 285 Smith projects will start, I feel that downtown will just have manageable holes (single empty lot as opposed to a wasteland like in red).
I agree. It would be nice to see a concerted effort by the appropriate development agencies to have those red boxes filled in with more new construction. Obviously it depends on some extent on the landowners and their intentions, but there are public bodies who own some of the parcels and they might be able to exert some influence there.

Eliminating the huge swaths of parking would go a long way to changing the overall desolate feeling of some parts of downtown.

On a somewhat related note, has there been any movement on the courtyard space next to the Pantages Theatre? It would be great to finally see something happen there.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2022, 8:13 PM

If we could get a building on the southwest corner of Donald and St Mary and the hotel proposal for the Hilton Garden Inn gets put back on the burner post Covid then that block of Donald changes completely ! Btw love the brick proposal on Donald and St Mary !

Last edited by pegcityboy; Jun 6, 2022 at 10:29 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan