Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 7:48 PM
New Yorker for life

NEWARK, N.J. | 571 Broad Street (The Arc) | 520 FT | 45 FLOORS

https://jerseydigs.com/arc-tower-newark/

Hearing Scheduled for 45-Story Arc Tower Proposal in Newark

By Chris Fry
November 1, 2022

Quote:
A tower in the works for several properties along Broad Street in Downtown Newark will soon be the subject of debate as the sky-high proposal would require demolishing several structures that have stood in the neighborhood for decades.

On November 2, Newark’s Landmarks & Historic Preservation Commission will be holding a meeting to discuss several lots at 569-571-577 Broad Street. The parcels, situated about halfway between Military Park and Harriet Tubman Park, currently house a vacant two-story retail structure and an empty rowhouse along one of Newark’s most prominent roads.

The properties have long been targeted by developers and are currently owned by an LLC registered out of Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn. The two unoccupied structures would be torn down under the plan, with the neighboring 567 Broad Street and the Washington Florist building remaining.
Quote:
The current plan, dubbed Arc Tower in documents submitted to the city, would rise 45 stories and 520 feet at the highest point. The proposal has been drawn up by New York-based INOA Architecture, who have designed several other high-profile projects in Newark including the Halo and a 203-unit development at 50 Sussex Avenue.

344 residential units are included in the Arc Tower proposal, breaking down as 94 studios, 175 one-bedrooms, 73 two-bedrooms, and two three-bedroom spaces. The ground floor would feature 1,800 square feet of retail space situated along Broad Street plus a first-floor “mezzanine” consisting of a co-working amenity for residents.

The project as pitched does not require any existing variances from the Broad Street Station Redevelopment Plan according to the developer’s application but does require demolition authorization from Landmarks & Historic Preservation Commission. Further approval would also be needed from Newark’s planning board before the tower can move forward.

For now, the Landmarks & Historic Preservation Commission will be holding their November 2 session on Zoom to discuss the Arc Tower plan. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. and can be joined by members of the public at this link or by using the Webinar ID 811 2402 3443.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 8:00 PM

The tower looks way taller than 520 FT, but nonetheless exciting and I love the design. Looks like Halo's cousin .

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 8:17 PM
BANNED

This is impressive!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 9:15 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
The tower looks way taller than 520 FT, but nonetheless exciting and I love the design. Looks like Halo's cousin .
I agree, still great for Newark in either case.

Kind of reminds of a proposal in Austin but I forget the name.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 1:37 AM

Looks nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

Kind of reminds of a proposal in Austin but I forget the name.
I immediately thought the same thing. Reminds me a lot of Block 16:

source & SSP link

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 9:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altoic View Post
Same firm.

https://in-oa.com/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 11:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

Thats a good looking tower by every definition. Hope it happens.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 11:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, its in the perfect location to add some juice to the skyline. I love the small footprint, and the lack of a large parking podium base. I hate to see that in central cities.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 12:33 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The Rise of Newark! The prophecies are coming true!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 10:56 AM

Looks great!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 1:00 PM

Great for Newark. Looks more like a commercial building than residential — not a bad thing.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 1:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Once one rises others follow. Between this and Halo, Newark's skyline will be getting a major boost, one overdue for almost 90 years. The current tallest was built in the 30's as an example (National Newark Building).

Hopefully in time, a Jersey City style transformation occurs. Newark's CBD is also very expansive, so plenty of areas for new towers to rise.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 2:28 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, I do wish the two projects weren't as similarly looking, but great either way. There are some parking lots in the area that could be developed.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2022, 11:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Once one rises others follow. Between this and Halo, Newark's skyline will be getting a major boost, one overdue for almost 90 years. The current tallest was built in the 30's as an example (National Newark Building).

Hopefully in time, a Jersey City style transformation occurs. Newark's CBD is also very expansive, so plenty of areas for new towers to rise.
I agree.

If this were being built in Atlanta, Dallas, etc., it would be front-page news.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 8:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Apparently the demo permits were not approved for this location via the Landmarks committee. Citing that the structures are of historical importance (they aren't... they are rubbish).

Hopefully this project will still pull through.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 8:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Someone gives a little more insight into that meeting…

https://www.reddit.com/r/Newark/comm...r_hpc_meeting/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 9:27 PM

This is one gorgeous tower and i wouldn't mind having the skyline bookended by similar towers. They're almost a mile apart

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 11:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
This is one gorgeous tower and i wouldn't mind having the skyline bookended by similar towers. They're almost a mile apart
Still very similar, moreso when you consider there aren’t many skyscrapers on the Newark skyline to begin with. And further, I don’t believe that one firm can only design one decent look. The buildings are fine, but one or the other could have looked equally nice with a different design.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:19 PM
DENNAB

Isn't Halo taller?

This is cool though, great design. Reminds me of 16 block in Austin.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 3:45 PM
New Yorker for life

^ It should be.

https://www.nj.com/news/2023/03/plan...ntroversy.html

Quote:
The Newark Central Planning Board on Monday memorialized its Feb. 6 approval of the proposed Arc Tower, a 344-unit rental complex that would rise 520 feet from a quarter-acre lot on the northwest corner of Broad Street and Central Avenue.

“The proposed structure would be the tallest in the immediate area by a significant margin and is nearly entirely glazed,” states a report by the city’s planning staff.

The modern Arc Tower would soar well above Newark’s current tallest building, the 466-foot neoclassical National Newark Building on Broad Street between Commerce and Clinton streets, which for almost a century has topped a nearby 448-foot art deco building at 1180 Raymond Blvd., known as Eleven 80, both built of brick in the early 1930s

Proposed for the heart of Newark’s downtown, the Arc Tower would raise the height of the skyline by 54 feet, or 12%, creating a blue-tinted peak that would glisten in the sun.

“It’s going to be beautiful for the skyline,” said the developer, Israel Weiss.
Quote:
The building, designed by INOA Architecture of Manhattan, would also provide 69 units of affordable housing, or 20% of the total number of apartments, under a requirement of the city’s inclusionary zoning ordinance. Weiss said all of the affordable units would be in the building.

“We’re really happy to be able to provide such a tower for Newark and all of Newark, even the lower-income people,” said Weiss, a principal with Brooklyn-based Ocean View Capital Management. “Everyone should be eligible to live in such a nice building.”

Weiss said the building would cost at least $120 million, including the $4.3 million he paid for the property. Financing will come from private equity and possibly bank loans, he said. Weiss said he plans to seek a tax abatement on the property.

Weiss’ lawyer on the project, Calvin Souder, said it would take two to three years to build once the city demolishes two low-rise vacant structures on the site. Both declined to speculate on when work might begin.
Quote:
Historic preservationists and community activists oppose the project, which they say is out of character with the shorter, mostly brick and masonry structures of the surrounding Military Park Commons Historic District.

The tower would stand on a prominent corner, overlooking Broad Street and Park Place, with Military Park to the south, Harriet Tubman Square to the north, and the Newark Museum, Ballantine Mansion, Newark Public Library and Firemen’s Insurance Company Building among other historic structures.

“It could be a nice tower. It’s just in the wrong location,” said Myles Zhang, a doctoral student in architecture at the University of Michigan, who grew up on James Street near the Arc site.

His father is longtime Newark resident Zemin Zhang, the executive director of the nonprofit Newark Landmarks preservation group, which opposes the Arc Tower.

The elder Zhang sent a Jan. 8 letter urging the planning board to reject the project, listing concerns that included the “purchase-for-demolition” of the two Broad Street buildings that could be torn down; the small lot area; the tower’s lack of set-backs from the curb or adjacent buildings; and the speculative nature of the project’s financing in a “shaky economy,” with only the hope of receiving a tax abatement but no assurance of it.

He recalled a New Jersey developer’s ambitious proposal in the 1980′s to build what would have been the world’s tallest building in downtown Newark but became an embarrassment after proving to be a pipe dream.

“Many Newarkers still have memories of the speculative Downtown Renaissance Mall and Harry Grant’s 121-story building, which damaged our city for decades,” Zhang wrote.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals