HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 1:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I love designing these interchanges just for fun even though I'm not great at it, anyone have ideas for other intersections to design grade separations for?
Wanna try all of 75? You may use M.I.T.‘s design for St-Nobert Bypass (except for that traffic light on a beeping new built!).

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 1:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I’m still in shock and disbelief that an interchange isn’t being constructed here now with all the money from the feds. We all know a simple diamond isn’t expensive to build. What’s being proposed now will probably work out to be the same as an interchange
I may have asked this before, but is anyone here well-versed in Manitoban geology? Though I have a feeling that, even with geology factored in, grade-separating TCH at Deacon’s Corners may not cost significantly more.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:03 PM
What could go wrong?

There is a fair bit more land acquisition associated with the diamond layout shown below...and a fair bit of new highway associated with it. I would guess our proposed Deacon's corner configuration would clock in at $50 -$75m. Much more than a standard diamond on an existing highway - simple 2 lane overpass and 4 off/on ramps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:16 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Or just be lazy: 4(Edit: actually, 6)-lane bypass, but with unidirectional interchanges at both ends of the bypassed section.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:35 PM
What could go wrong?

The next new Perimeter Interchange is....................(that means drum rolll)

Hwy 3.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:36 PM
What could go wrong?

June 22, 2021

PROVINCE ANNOUNCES NEW INTERCHANGE TO BE CONSTRUCTED AT PERIMETER HIGHWAY AND PTH 3
- - -
Multi-Million Dollar Investment to Improve Safety and Efficiency: Schuler

The Manitoba government plans to construct a new diamond interchange at the intersection of PTH 100 (Perimeter Highway) and PTH 3, which will increase safety and reduce travel delays along the Perimeter Highway, Infrastructure Minister Ron Schuler announced today.

“Over the next 10 years, Manitoba will be recognized as a national transportation hub, linking east to west, north to south and enabling strong economic activity within and across our borders,” said Schuler. “The work currently being undertaken will enhance transportation mobility and connectivity, ensure safety and reliability across the highway network, and enable industry expansion that leverages Manitoba’s diverse economy.”

In 2020, the province released the South Perimeter Highway Design Study, which outlines two stages of changes for the Perimeter Highway. The initial stage, designed to accommodate forecast 2048 traffic levels, will include upgrading the highway to a four-lane divided freeway and improving the highway, interchanges and bridges. The final stage will include upgrading the Perimeter Highway to a six-lane divided freeway, reconfiguring the existing highway and constructing new interchanges where necessary.

One of the key components to the study was a new diamond interchange at the intersection of the Perimeter Highway and PTH 3 to reduce delays while also addressing operational and safety related issues at the current signalized intersection. Engineering work on the new interchange is planned to begin in late 2021, with construction scheduled to begin potentially in late 2023, following the completion of the interchange at the Perimeter Highway and St. Mary’s Road.

“Increased use of the Perimeter Highway over the past 30 years has required our government to address safety, operational and capacity deficiencies of the roadway,” said Schuler. “The Perimeter Highway is a significant economic driver for the province in the transportation of people, goods and services and we need to ensure the roadway is safe, efficient and progressive.”

The province also released the What We Heard report for Phase 2 of the Perimeter Safety Review, which studied safety on the north section of the Perimeter Highway (PTH 101) from Portage Avenue to Fermor Avenue.

Phase 2 of the Perimeter Safety Review proposes signalizing or closing all unsignalized median openings and stop-sign controlled access points, which will limit North Perimeter Highway access to intersections that are appropriately signalized, or have interchanges.

More than 1,200 people took part in the survey, with more than 70 per cent of respondents indicating that they believe the proposed safety improvements will address all or most safety concerns on the north section of the Perimeter Highway.

A functional design study for the North Perimeter Highway, similar to the South Perimeter Design Study, will begin later this year. The study will determine locations for future interchanges, grade separations, and access management strategies, and will also include additional engagement opportunities for directly impacted stakeholders and the public.

The minister also noted that to date, 26 intersections have been modified or closed on the Perimeter Highway, with an additional 14 expected to be closed or modified by this fall. A tender was advertised on June 17 to close most of the remaining PTH 101 median openings and unsignalized access points.

To view the What We Heard report for Phase 2 of the Perimeter Safety Review, visit https://engagemb.ca/north-perimeter-safety-review.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:37 PM

I knew Biff would be on it! Thanks!

McGillivray to begin upon completion of St. Mary's. Hoping the NDP continue this run-on type construction when they're in power.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

McGillivray to begin upon completion of St. Mary's. Hoping the NDP continue this run-on type construction when they're in power.
It's too bad they explicitly state that it will start once St Mary's is complete. Why not begin fall 2022 with basic groundwork and prep, which is mostly away from traffic anyways.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 2:51 PM

I'm so old I remember when this interchange ("interstate standard diamond") was announced in 2013!

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=19690

We are a very special place... who else takes 10+ years to build a diamond?! Incidentally it will be to my knowledge, the first actual diamond interchange in Manitoba, unless I'm forgetting one? I'm also pretty sure we are the last province to build one as PEI opened some a few years ago even though they are weird super-2 diamonds with traffic circles to each side.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 3:03 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
It's too bad they explicitly state that it will start once St Mary's is complete. Why not begin fall 2022 with basic groundwork and prep, which is mostly away from traffic anyways.
Again, there is a lot of new roadwork associated with this design. I am assuming that there is significant land acquisition yet to occur. The diamond interchange itself is the easiest part of the project.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 3:10 PM
What could go wrong?

Last edited by Biff; Jun 22, 2021 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 3:21 PM

NDP announce said project. PC announce it again. NDP will announce it yet again haha Sounds like Manitoba.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
We are a very special place... who else takes 10+ years to build a diamond?! Incidentally it will be to my knowledge, the first actual diamond interchange in Manitoba, unless I'm forgetting one? I'm also pretty sure we are the last province to build one as PEI opened some a few years ago even though they are weird super-2 diamonds with traffic circles to each side.
St Mary's interchange is going to be a diamond so that one will be the first.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
I’m having this exact conversation on the perimeter highway thread.. sickening.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 4:32 PM

Quote:
A diverging diamond as opposed to a garden variety normal diamond, but I suppose it counts.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 5:26 PM

59N Floodway Bridge update

All precast girders now in place, lots of camber in those girders, work on bridge deck has started

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 4:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

sure lots of work happening on highway 6 last few years between the rappids and thompson and see 391 has bunch work happening between nelson house and thompson
speaking off anyone hear of any ideas whats going to happen with the churchill river bridge longest spaning bridge in mb

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 4:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

The speNDP will be too busy promoting union executives to management positions in govt. and rebuilding and bloating the bureaucracy!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 1:14 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
speaking off anyone hear of any ideas whats going to happen with the churchill river bridge longest spaning bridge in mb
Its slated for work in 2022 or 2023.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 2:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wonder if the 40 tune super Bees will be able to cross if they go with a fary to cross during the rebuild?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan