HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 5:10 AM

Back to hockey and the WHL in Steinbach though, the recent journey is pretty interesting. It is an open secret that the previous HyLife owners in Steinbach and La Broquerie are desperate to bring a team into the community.

It started in the last municipal election of 2018, they supported one mayoral candidate, developer Paul Neustaedter, with the condition for more money for a building if he was elected.

https://steinbachonline.com/articles...-events-centre

The city voters didn't really like the idea, it seemed like a bribe of some sort, and chose a third candidate for mayor. They then chose this downtown location to rebuild for the event centre instead of the location in-between Mitchell and Steinbach that Neustaedter was pushing for with the HyLife backers (Truthfully this is better for Steinbach's downtown as a whole).

One year later HyLife was sold for $498 million dollars, in addition to the 50% stake they had sold earlier for $50 million to a Japanese firm. This also goes alongside all the millions they made selling bacon around the world.

https://www.realagriculture.com/2019...okphand-foods/

They still live in Steinbach and La Broquerie aside from their many winter homes around the world and they apparently remain somewhat fixated on the idea of bringing a WHL team to Steinbach. I am not sure want the going cost for expansion or purchase of teams are but they see this as a status symbol for them and for Steinbach. I guess it means Steinbach "made it"?

I am not sure what Winkler has in terms of investors but I am sure they have just as many people and money to back up the purchase of a team as well as the former HyLife owners are in Steinbach. One of the previous partners, Grant Lazaruk is now CEO and is building the company's headquarters in Steinbach. The others are retired from the pork business but are sitting on piles of bacon money.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/th...ch-head-office

It will be interesting to see if the HyLife owners get their wish. Hopefully both cities get WHL teams and then they can settle the issue of which city has a larger population base to draw from on the ice.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 1:12 PM

Interesting stuff, thanks for that. The WHL has no expansion plans so it would have to be a relocated team, not sure if many teams tough times.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
I don't think it's misleading at all, If you think that people in New Bothwell, Kleefeld, Grunthal, Blumenort and area go to Winnipeg for their groceries I think your mistaken. Hanover is exactly 10 miles wide and about 20 miles long with Steinbach in the north section.

You can make that argument for Niverville perhaps, but their numbers are not included in Hanover as it is a distinct town. Even if you think that a few thousand of the people would lie in the realm of the Capital Region the numbers are still on par.

Of course the RM of Hanover area and Steinbach are influenced by it's distance to Winnipeg, but it is still a distinct regional capital of its own.

Also the RM of Stanley is much larger than Hanover as a whole.

Stanley - 835.18km2
Hanover - 730.44km2

Again my point is the two areas are basically on a statistical par. You can make the argument to include a few thousand here exclude a few thousand there. The reality is the two immediate regions have a difference of a few thousand at most either way.
Great points Flatland. I would say the whole province is under Winnipeg's orbit.
Citizens in Winkler / Morden are no different than Steinbach/Hanover/LaB..they all choose to use the main services of their area, come weekend, they might go to Winnipeg for the "Bigger, Brighter" thing. Brandon, Dauphin, Neepawa, Portage all the same.

Flatland, I do think you forgot that LaBroquerie is sitting at 6000 to 7000 people. Why is Mitchell not part of Steinbach's CA?? - It's a text book bedroom community.
If you pinned a circle in the middle of Steinbach and drew a 12 mile radius, you'll hit over 40,000 people.

Back to the Arena, my only bone to pick is they shoehorned it into their downtown. Steinbach is a horribly planned place, along with RM Hanover and RM LaBroquerie. If you have driven here, you know what I'm speaking about.

As for the WHL coming to Manitoba ( Steinbach or Winkler), I doubt it will happen. If the Ice don't solve their arena issue, that franchise will head back west somewhere.
Brandon, with their new ownership. might be (God Forbid) gone soon too. But that's another topic.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
Back to hockey and the WHL in Steinbach though, the recent journey is pretty interesting. It is an open secret that the previous HyLife owners in Steinbach and La Broquerie are desperate to bring a team into the community.

It started in the last municipal election of 2018, they supported one mayoral candidate, developer Paul Neustaedter, with the condition for more money for a building if he was elected.

https://steinbachonline.com/articles...-events-centre

The city voters didn't really like the idea, it seemed like a bribe of some sort, and chose a third candidate for mayor. They then chose this downtown location to rebuild for the event centre instead of the location in-between Mitchell and Steinbach that Neustaedter was pushing for with the HyLife backers (Truthfully this is better for Steinbach's downtown as a whole).

One year later HyLife was sold for $498 million dollars, in addition to the 50% stake they had sold earlier for $50 million to a Japanese firm. This also goes alongside all the millions they made selling bacon around the world.

https://www.realagriculture.com/2019...okphand-foods/

They still live in Steinbach and La Broquerie aside from their many winter homes around the world and they apparently remain somewhat fixated on the idea of bringing a WHL team to Steinbach. I am not sure want the going cost for expansion or purchase of teams are but they see this as a status symbol for them and for Steinbach. I guess it means Steinbach "made it"?

I am not sure what Winkler has in terms of investors but I am sure they have just as many people and money to back up the purchase of a team as well as the former HyLife owners are in Steinbach. One of the previous partners, Grant Lazaruk is now CEO and is building the company's headquarters in Steinbach. The others are retired from the pork business but are sitting on piles of bacon money.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/th...ch-head-office

It will be interesting to see if the HyLife owners get their wish. Hopefully both cities get WHL teams and then they can settle the issue of which city has a larger population base to draw from on the ice.
I know next to nothing about the WHL's economics, aside from the struggles of the Ice to draw numbers, but...

While Manitoba was always seen as far away from the rest of the league, particularly southeastern Manitoba, perhaps with a franchise in Winnipeg (assuming it stays) it really opens up next cities in Manitoba, namely Steinbach and Winkler/Morden to have clubs as a nucleus of 3 or 4 here is probably much better than just 1 or 2.

I know the WHL teams are in locations of a particular size... but it's interesting all the same.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 10:26 PM

Steinbach would have stiff competition on an expansion team in the WHL. Cities like Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Lloydminster, Nanaimo etc would all be in the running. Think the best bet is to lure the Ice into a shiny new building on a sweet deal.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Steinbach would have stiff competition on an expansion team in the WHL. Cities like Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Lloydminster, Nanaimo etc would all be in the running. Think the best bet is to lure the Ice into a shiny new building on a sweet deal.
Seems to me that it could happen if the ICE hit the wall on a getting a new rink built in Winnipeg. It would be nice to keep the team in the region if it doesn't work out in Winnipeg itself, kind of like how the Vancouver Giants left the city a few years back and moved to Langley where they are faring reasonably well.

Expansion is unlikely given that the league's talent is already somewhat diluted relative to the OHL or WHL.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
This.

Steinbach would be far down the list of possible WHL expansion cities. Even Lloydminster with 30,000 is probably too small.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 7:50 PM

It's fairly unlikely that the WHL would expand given that it already has more teams than the OHL and QMJHL, meaning that it's a bit watered down relative to those leagues. If anything, any movement would involve existing teams getting shuffled around much like how the ICE moved from Cranbrook to Winnipeg.

But who knows how long landing a WHL team might take Steinbach. It's a long shot and it could be decades before it ever happens. Why not just continue supporting the MJHL team that exists there? Some towns with junior A teams do an outstanding job of getting behind their teams and making it something that the community can be proud of.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 8:21 PM

1st full season with no Covid restrictions, hopefully attendance at MJ barns comes back.

Dauphin, Virden, Winkler and Steinbach all averaged 700-900 pre Covid, while many others (Selkirk, Neepawa, Swan, WayWay) were in the 300 range. Winnipeg teams (freeze & blues) were lucky to see a 100.

new team this year is Niverville

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 9:10 PM

I would never expect the MJHL to take the Manitoba sports scene by storm, but it could certainly be more than it is. It looks like it is taking root to some extent in southern Manitoba, though... Steinbach and Winkler are reasonably well supported despite playing in junky arenas, at least compared to the newer breed in places like Dauphin and Portage. Adding Niverville to the mix with their new barn will build off that.

It's tough for the Winnipeg teams to get any support in a crowded market, though. I went to a couple Blues and Freeze games last season and there were probably around 100 people at each. The hockey is good but there is no atmosphere really. It looks like there's really just family and friends in the stands, not that dissimilar from my kid's minor hockey games.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 11:09 PM

My kid just finished rookie camp w selkirk, off to Main camp next week. It would be nice if they had 700-800 that they use to have 10+ yrs ago, not sure what happened.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 1:16 PM

^ Good luck to your son, wags! Should be quite an adventure for him.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good luck to your son, wags! Should be quite an adventure for him.
thanks man. a little too young to play this year in my opinion, only 16, maybe next year, but we'll see you it goes.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 3:24 PM

Southeast Event Centre $20M more than expected, City Council awards tender

https://www.steinbachonline.com/arti...-awards-tender

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 3:33 PM

In order to save on cost, they decided to build the arena in one phase, which will involve tearing down the Centennial Arena next summer. Only one ice surface for next winter.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 3:34 PM

^ $61 million, pricy. And it sounds like they had to value engineer the hell out of it to drive it down to that number.

For context, Canada Life Centre cost $133.5 million when it was built.

This probably doesn't bode that well for the Winnipeg ICE given that their new arena would probably cost substantially more, as it would probably be around double the size of the 2,4000 seats that Steinbach is building.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 10:19 PM

What would True North Centre cost today. $300 - $400mil for sure. What did the new ice palace in Edmonton cost, like $1 bil or something. Off topic but TNSE got extremely lucky purchasing the Thrashers for $100 whatever million and having a relatively cheap arena already built. It cost $1 billion plus for both Vegas and Seattle. Winnipeg is completely shut out of that market.

$61 mil is the going rate. Welcome to post pandemic economy. Things will level out in the next couple years. Wages will adjust. And it will all become relative again.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What would True North Centre cost today. $300 - $400mil for sure. What did the new ice palace in Edmonton cost, like $1 bil or something. Off topic but TNSE got extremely lucky purchasing the Thrashers for $100 whatever million and having a relatively cheap arena already built. It cost $1 billion plus for both Vegas and Seattle. Winnipeg is completely shut out of that market.

$61 mil is the going rate. Welcome to post pandemic economy. Things will level out in the next couple years. Wages will adjust. And it will all become relative again.
Yeah, wow. When you put it in those terms... $133.5 million for rink (which was renovated at the cost of tens of millions of dollars for the NHL adding to the total cost, but still...) and $170 million for the franchise. So probably all in like $350 million for the team and renovated arena. Not a bad deal considering, as you point out, just the arena alone would cost more than that now.

The Jets have certainly helped the city's image but they've been a very tidy earner for their owners.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

I'm sure True North, if built today with those $60+ million in improvements over the past decade, would be north of $400 million. Edmonton's arena cost $480 million, plus $56 million for the winter garden, $25 million for the land and $43 million for the pedestrian corridor. Given arena construction started in 2014, I would think that arena cost would balloon from $480 million to $700 million alone.

That $60 million for the Steinbach arena includes an additional building attached to it, plus the destruction of the current building. I would think ICE ownership could still build a decent standalone 4500-5000 seat arena with one sheet of ice for a similar price. Maybe they partner with the urban reserve for financing?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 9:00 PM

Groundwork began last week, just removing tree stumps and building a chain-link fence around the site.

Fun fact, they had to build a new ODR to make way for the new multiplex. The boards on the new ODR are made from trees that had to be cut down to allow for this project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan