HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 🌳🌱🌿🌴🍁 View Post
Winston Churchill once said, “We shape our buildings and afterwards our buildings shape us.”

Go one step further: “We shape our cities and afterwards our cities shape us.” Our vision and our daily realities – how we act, interact and perceive things – is influenced by our surroundings.

From what I recall, Churchill would have been somewhat contemporary with the development of a city like WPG. And in a European context – putting aside the thousands of years of indigenous settlement – WPG was more or less built out of nothing on a windswept prairie. Yet still it ASPIRED at the time to become a great capital and for a while was on the way to becoming one of the leading cities of North America.

Part of that was a manifestation of the City Beautiful philosophy. Why would such a place construct such an impressive legislature, for example? Why would it plant such beautiful trees for the future, which are now being decimated in part (from what I understand) due to neglect and a lack of proper care over the years?

You lament a lack of vision, missed opportunities and so on – and I agree with you. But there was vision there when the city was being created, and there was vision in Elizabeth Lord’s analysis 60 YEARS AGO. Her attitude was visionary AND doable. It would have made a world of difference.

To be fair, it seems from a few of your comments that you view this forum as some sort of elitist conversation. Like it’s an ivory tower, detached from the real ‘meat-and-potatoes’ world out there. You make comments like, “Obviously malls are polarizing in this forum,” “I know the majority of people here love to look at the incremental gains,” etc. And that would be your right, of course.

My father was a professor of transportation engineering and a highways expert. I grew up partly in that milieu and interacted regularly with his colleagues and students. One of them was for several years high up in the transportation administration in WPG. I talked to him once about the Esplanade Riel bridge. He said that if he’d had his way, the bridge would probably have been built bare bones, no-frills, get-from-point-a-to-point-b in the cheapest way possible.

Subsequently, he felt that he had been wrong about that. He recognized that it had become a local landmark. When you say, “sometimes I feel that you guys get wrapped up and focus on the details such as wall cladding materials and interacting with sidewalks,” would that have been a detail for you – the architectural design of the bridge? I would argue that sometimes the devil is in fact in the details.

Vision is aiming for something better despite the inevitable critics, who always have their own agendas. And to infer that WPG has been excessive on insisting on wall cladding materials and the like would be factually mistaken, in my view. In fact, one could argue that it has been the opposite in recent decades. But cities get what they expect, and consequently get what they deserve.

You wrote: “I know freeways truly go against the principles of many on this forum and you guys are welcome to that view. For me, it is a visually simple example of which direction the city is trending (at least in North America) whether or not you guys wanna hear that.” I respect that you feel that way. But is it not a sweeping generalization to say that the construction of freeways represents progress because they are a ‘visually simple example’ of how a city should evolve? You say that like it is some incontrovertible 100% fact that ‘we’ (I personally only speak for myself) don’t want to hear.

If I am not mistaken, one of the most famous books in that field is ‘Divided Highways: Building the Interstate Highways, Transforming American Life.’ And the author chose that title precisely because it reflects the nuanced legacy of such massive road development – that it and the culture it has encouraged is not all black-and-white, despite the obvious benefits of the interstate system.

You also mentioned how you are in the roadwork industry, which leads you to focus on freeways and transit infrastructure when checking out other places. That is understandable. But do you agree or not with the following viewpoint, that the size and nature of road infrastructure there, not to mention the other municipal infrastructure extended out to support sprawl, is becoming or has already become unsustainable?

https://twitter.com/brent_bellamy/st...84687835488257

Do you agree with that or not? I understand that there may be debate about the numbers, and do not claim to be an expert. And I am not even talking about the insane alleged scandals of stolen money I have heard about there with the police building and so on. How much of that could have gone into transit infrastructure? It is embarrassing and I hope that there will be justice and restitution if there was wrongdoing.

I have to admit having lived in both Europe and North America that I am baffled by some North American tourists who come to Europe and say how charming things are (and spend their money on them, by the way, just so you don’t think I am going off on some pie-in-the-sky tangent) – but then go back home and say those things can never be implemented there, like Europe is some sort of Disneyland which exists in a parallel universe.

So what is your own big vision? Okay, if it is a freely-flowing inner ring road, fine. But please be ‘concrete’: how much might it cost, is it possible to do now or in the near-future and how exactly will it bring the downtown/central area back to health? Indeed, maybe what you say is true and I certainly respect your expertise, experience and perspective on that issue. And if it is true, then it should be pursued – or some form of it that is possible in the current context.

At the same time, why write “the idealistic pedestrian-friendly setting you all want” like that is some sort of alien concept. Words matter. Do YOU not also want an ‘idealistic’ pedestrian-friendly setting for your daughter to grow up in? This is not some us vs. them issue. It makes me think of China stopping climate talks with the U.S. because of Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan, as if climate does not affect China. As if the pandemic which came out of China stopped at its borders.

If I proposed some ‘incremental’ things it is simply because I am trying to be realistic and recognize that there are some steps now that could be taken on the path to turning things around. And some of those same things are actually being prioritized by 'world-class' cities like Paris and Washington, DC. Another concrete example I admire there along those lines is the WPG Wildflowers project, bringing back native ecosystems to replace grass and concrete. And again, I understand that you or others might find those things airy-fairy and insignificant, but in my opinion they are not. If possible, expand it on a massive, city-wide scale, in my view. You wanted unique 'somethings' for the city: why not start by being a pioneering place in the restoration of a unique, endangered local habitat/landscape? That, and all the benefits that go along with it, is going to get way more attention on an international scale than a big new waterpark.

https://www.instagram.com/wpgwildflowerproject/?hl=en

Of course, there is nothing stopping anyone from adding in big or even super-sized (as you put it) projects as well, if they have something in mind. And if you think it’s not too late given your understandable despondency about the city’s history, development and current state. But I think we can agree that whether or not it's a good idea, WPG has missed the boat in terms of building a bigger shopping centre than West Edmonton Mall, not to mention the Mall of America. And in terms of an airport hub, Toronto, Chicago, and Atlanta are probably not too worried about being surpassed. Or maybe a leading transit or freight hub as they have been trying to do for years if I am not mistaken – but there must be about 10 other cities trying to do the same. If that succeeds and it is a good thing in every sense (including air quality/environmental impacts – those things do matter), good.

So a city trying to move forward has to start from where it is, not where it should be. And putting aside some of the great and ongoing developments there like the Forks, it is where it is due to the stupid mistakes, small-minded thinking and lack of vision that you and I both agree have been in great supply over the decades. And maybe even going back to where the city was originally situated, as noted before. The question is then, in which direction does the city go from here?
As I mentioned, I threw down a few quick thoughts in reply to you which I regret now. As you wrote: "words matter", and I obviously used some specific words and phrases that seem to have triggered a defensive response which was certainly not my intent. I am not as eloquent with my words as you are and I didn't get my intended points across once again. I did enjoy your reply though and it did cause me to reflect a bit.

You mentioned the beautiful Legislative building and our tree canopy as examples of how the city initially "aspired at the time to become a great capital..." and this perfectly brings me back to my first post on this thread. I decided to write that post because I was reminiscing about memories from my childhood in the late 70's early 80's about Winnipeg's status in Canada at that time and specifically about how this city that once aspired to great things and had big vision ended up being surpassed by other cities that definitely had some advantages but in my opinion simply had leadership with greater vision. Right or wrong this is my personal perception living through these last few decades. You wrote: "You lament a lack of vision, missed opportunities and so on – and I agree with you. But there was vision there when the city was being created, and there was vision in Elizabeth Lord’s analysis 60 YEARS AGO. Her attitude was visionary AND doable. It would have made a world of difference." Again, this is why I wrote my initial post, because the Winnipeg in the second half of its existence failed exactly how you are describing. I think we may differ in our opinions of what the vision and missed opportunities may have been but overall I think we agree.

I then continued by admitting that I am not as well suited to argue the details, I'm not able to appreciate the intricacies of city-building discussions the way others are able to on this forum and that I tend to look at bigger picture things as opposed to wall cladding materials and interacting with sidewalks. I can see how some of the things I said could be taken as passive aggressive shots at others on this forum and to a degree I admit that part of me intended them as shots because sometimes it's hard to see the forest through the trees for some here. Don't get me wrong I'm glad that there are others who care enough about these details and I don't want to minimize the importance of this thinking. But is it really a bad thing that someone like me who is not as involved in those processes suggests that maybe too much importance is being placed in these details and not enough on the big picture? Yes, from my point of view there is a degree of "ivory tower, detached from the real ‘meat-and-potatoes’ world out there" happening, but that doesn't erase all the great conversation that I love lurking and reading because I don't feel qualified to engage in it. I'm struggling here in my response because I don't want to come off as a jerk and I feel I may be failing.

You asked: "But do you agree or not with the following viewpoint, that the size and nature of road infrastructure there, not to mention the other municipal infrastructure extended out to support sprawl, is becoming or has already become unsustainable?" Yes, in the manner it was built, the current municipal infrastructure is unsustainable which is why the plan needs to change. I actually prefer the word unmanageable to unsustainable because the bones of Winnipeg I feel are fine and the overall concepts I agree with when it comes to framing the city by the perimeter highway with the concept of the inner ring road alleviating a large portion of heavy traffic through the city centre. The problem is that the municipal infrastructure was extended to support sprawl on a piecemeal reactionary as needed basis as opposed to a proactive planned effort which resulted in a broken failed transportation system that neither supports the original city centre nor the outskirts. Could this infrastructure have been sustainable if it was built out properly? Would a proactive approach to rapid transit have helped? I believe so. I guess the debate becomes about how we deal with the past failures? Do we double down and try to chase the system that should have been built or give up and focus on densification? I know you asked me for concrete big vision and that's something I need to do more thinking about, but in general terms do you agree with a concept around a free flowing ring road coupled with a rapid transit system that would alleviate a lot of traffic through downtown allowing downtown to become more pedestrian friendly and less car-centric?

Going further in your post, why do you paraphrase me by saying "why write “the idealistic pedestrian-friendly setting you all want” like that is some sort of alien concept. Words matter."? My actual quote is "Couple that road infrastructure with proper built out rapid transit and the car-centric culture that currently lives in downtown would be suburbanized and the idealistic pedestrian-friendly setting would be able to thrive where you all want - downtown/central.". I feel like I agree with you but that's not how your response reads. It seems that some of the things I said may have been interpreted as being counter to what "you all want" which was not my intention. I think for the most part we are on the same page but are looking at that page from different perspectives.

In retrospect I guess I was looking for a place here to vent about what should have been more than planning what should be in the future since I don't have those solutions. I recognize that complaining about the past and looking at other jurisdications with a jealous eye isn't helpful going forward so I'll need to reflect and be more positive as far as my outlook on Winnipeg. I would love to continue this discussion but I'm kinda wary about my words here. I feel the way I'm articulating my opinions leaves them open to being misinterpreted and I honestly respect other opinions here so I'll sheepishly make my way back to lurking.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
in theory (distances), but in practice (actual experience) absolutely not.

very little bike infrastructure other than recreational paths, and such a bike theft problem that you more or less can't bike commute unless you have locked indoor storage at your work.

walking is better but a lot of downtown is starting to feel dicey to walk alone outside of certain hours.

it's a car city -> every other mode is neglected -> it's a car city
That also depends on where you live. I'm very fortunate to be in Bridgwater which definitely has the best AT infrastructure in the city. Based on my own travelling through our bike network the furthest North I have been able to go and feel safe is Kildonan Park, the furthest west is Charleswood by the perimeter, and the furthest East I have made was the Mint. For about 90% of these rides I am on a dedicated AT path, and the other 6-7% of the ride is usually on a low traffic residential street like Scotia or Ridgewood. The only areas I have struggled to reach are the Northwest and Northeast quadrants of the city because they don't have any connectivity to the rest of the bike network.

In fact the bike network is so good in my area not to brag or anything but I can bike to my local Walmart in 15 minutes while riding on AT paths for 95% of the ride. How many cities even consider providing bike connectivity to Walmart's and Superstores in the first place? Hell the Outlet, Polo Park, and St Vital also have dedicated AT paths adjacent to them on Sterling Lyon, Bishop, and Empress respectively which is pretty impressive for a city of our size.

Anyways, I would even argue that Winnipeg has one of the best suburban bike networks in the country. When I visited Toronto I was shocked to see how nearly impossible it was to access the city from the suburbs like Mississauga or Brampton via cycling. There was a study showcasing what Canadian cities have the best AT access to an Ikea and here are the results.

So clearly good infrastructure exists. The main problem is we don't invest cycling in the North end or Downtown, but we don't really invest in ANYTHING regarding the North end or Downtown which is a symptom of a much grander issue persisting within this city. Of course we need to improve our infrastructure, but if you live on the larger AT system one could in practice commute reasonably well by cycling.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
As I mentioned, I threw down a few quick thoughts in reply to you which I regret now....
Thanks for your post, and I will respond (more concisely) to a few of your points later on. But I just want to clarify for now that I share your view that we likely agree on a lot of things, including objectives for cities in general. Also, you should definitely not regret your thoughts/opinions here, which seem to me to be very reasonable and clearly reflect that you are thinking about these issues and trying to come up with solutions.

So I think that contributes to a discussion and respectful debate, and of course in no way should you feel the need to stop expressing your views or go back to 'lurking'. The exchange and occasional 'confrontation' of ideas can sometimes lead to new or different thinking. And I think your insights have also made me reflect a bit as well, so that is appreciated.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:00 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So we don't have freeways except we kind of do, but inner city streets are still choked by busy crosstown traffic. Might as well just have the full on freeways and at least move the rush hour grain truck traffic out of downtown.
The grain truck traffic you speak of is mostly heading to the ADM Milling site at the corner of Sutherland and Higgins. They supply Winnipeg's large commercial bakeries with bulk flour.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 4:42 PM

I’m assisting a new Ukraine family, they are staying at the Best Western on Wellington, the hotel is full of refugee families, they’ve all been told to avoid central Winnipeg and the downtown as it’s extremely dangerous, very disheartening this is the first impression Winnipeg gives to new comers.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 12:56 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
There was a study showcasing what Canadian cities have the best AT access to an Ikea and here are the results.

I have never seen a bike parked at Ikea in Ottawa.

Most people that go to Ikea here are not buying toilet brushes and frozen meatballs. They are buying furniture.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 1:06 PM
What could go wrong?

But after eating enough of the yummy Huvudroll you definitely will need a Bolmen or Brogrund.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The no freeway thing is OK, but in some respects it feels like we have the worst of both worlds. We do have pseudo-freeways which effectively function as freeways, but they are very half-assed with few interchanges and are prone to congestion and backups. And the upshot of this is that so much crosstown traffic spills over onto the normal arterial road network, such that we have tons of busy stroads. There are very few high street type settings that aren't marred by heavy traffic, including trucks.

So we don't have freeways except we kind of do, but inner city streets are still choked by busy crosstown traffic. Might as well just have the full on freeways and at least move the rush hour grain truck traffic out of downtown.
If it leads to less stroads, then I am for more freeways.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 9:19 PM

Need to take most of the through traffic out of downtown Winnipeg. To do that you need faster routes. As long as downtown is a place to drive through to get somewhere else it will never succeed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan