HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 4:53 PM

Hot off the presses ... though given the date, I'm inclined to believe it's a joke, but it looks pretty serious ...

From Jungle To Joints: Rainforest Cafe Could Become A Weed Dispensary

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 5:22 PM

Building permit was issued on Wednesday to construct a new 5 story 59 unit building with ground floor commercial at Sunnyside & Sheridan in Uptown. It will replace a strip mall and is pretty close to the Wilson Red Line stop. The strip mall has already been demolished (or mostly):

https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/02/dem...in-uptown.html

Right around the corner, 4453 N Hazel was also recently issued a permit for a new 5 story, 32 unit building. Nice to see almost 100 new units coming to this area plus all the others.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
#12 on this map is intriguing. Didn't know there were active plans to connect the riverwalk all the way from Lake street to 18th (aside from the riverline and 78 developments)

I have a personal interest in #16 and think that it would really get the development train rolling along the south lakefront. An equitable investment that would easily pay for itself.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Hot off the presses ... though given the date, I'm inclined to believe it's a joke, but it looks pretty serious ...

From Jungle To Joints: Rainforest Cafe Could Become A Weed Dispensary
I didn't realize it already had those giant mushrooms, which makes this a perfect adaptive reuse. However, sounds like they wouldn't stay, LOL.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 6:15 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Building permit was issued on Wednesday to construct a new 5 story 59 unit building with ground floor commercial at Sunnyside & Sheridan in Uptown. It will replace a strip mall and is pretty close to the Wilson Red Line stop. The strip mall has already been demolished (or mostly):

Right around the corner, 4453 N Hazel was also recently issued a permit for a new 5 story, 32 unit building. Nice to see almost 100 new units coming to this area plus all the others.
A double win

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
Block Club has some new information on some bike/trail projects that we've heard of before:

Chicago 2022 Trails Planning document
I love how the document highlights existing segments of trails along the North branch.... even though they are discontinuous.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 7:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:

All this development and you'll still have dumbasses thinking Uptown is ghetto or is "part of the southside that snuck up north" and yes someone told me that before. It'll be Lakeview 2.0 in five years.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I love how the document highlights existing segments of trails along the North branch.... even though they are discontinuous.
Yeah, it’s very exaggerated. I’ve attempted to ride the route shown and it’s far from being convenient, so I don’t even bother. I’m most interested in that southern extension to Skokie Valley trail. That will really improve access.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
All this development and you'll still have dumbasses thinking Uptown is ghetto or is "part of the southside that snuck up north" and yes someone told me that before. It'll be Lakeview 2.0 in five years.
Yeah no doubt. Although Buena Park is already basically an extension of Lakeview. Once a few of the U/C ones open and fill up plus these, and Double Door opens up there then it'll gain even more momentum. And if Uptown Theatre ever gets renovated, then....

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 7:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
#12 on this map is intriguing. Didn't know there were active plans to connect the riverwalk all the way from Lake street to 18th (aside from the riverline and 78 developments)

I have a personal interest in #16 and think that it would really get the development train rolling along the south lakefront. An equitable investment that would easily pay for itself.
Supposedly the city will launch a study of this. Don't count on it getting funded in the next decade though. It'll have to be a floating boardwalk between Lake and Harrison, and then go back to terra firma south of there. River City is also a tricky section due to the marina.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah no doubt. Although Buena Park is already basically an extension of Lakeview. Once a few of the U/C ones open and fill up plus these, and Double Door opens up there then it'll gain even more momentum. And if Uptown Theatre ever gets renovated, then....
I really really really want that to happen. Someone recently told me about that theater, which I never knew about. Once I looked it up, I couldn't believe how F'ing beautiful it is. It absolutely needs to be saved.

I mean.... My god -

https://ebow.org/artwork/2474753-Uptown-3.html

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 1:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I moved all of the posts about the extremely sad and untimely passing of our fellow Chicago-phile Eric Mathiasen (emathias) to the general Chicago discussion thread.

Please continue there: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=208431

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 3:27 PM

I walked past the (former) Burger King at 2328 S Michigan Avenue yesterday and saw that it was boarded up and surrounded by fencing. I haven't been in the area since last fall but it was a fully function restaurant at that time. Here is a crains article from a couple of years ago:

Quote:
A former Related Midwest executive has picked up a property just west of McCormick Place with a plan to develop a boutique hotel on the site.

A venture led by Nick Anderson paid nearly $6.3 million last month for a property at 2328 S. Michigan Ave. in the heart of historic Motor Row, according to Cook County property records and people involved in the deal.

Fern Hill's site today is home to a Burger King franchise, which has a five-year lease for its building that expires in 2021, according to Mark Jones of brokerage Jameson Commercial, which represented JRG in the sale.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...eyed-motor-row

Maybe we'll see some news soon?

Most recent google map image: https://www.google.com/maps/place/23...!4d-87.6240008

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 3:35 PM
BANNED

^ Damn I did a streetview tour of that area and its looks barren. Why is there so much vacant retail space in the South Loop?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 3:55 PM

In so many cities, convention centers crater activity. We’re lucky to at least have a lot of intact historic buildings to work with otherwise that area would have little hope of new development. A hotel make sense, in non-pandemic times, so hopefully convention scheduling will bounce back to improve the hotel market which remains abysmal.

Tried to look and see what was before the Burger King. A parking lot in the 60’s though in the 50’s there appears to have been some 3-4 story structure, but I couldn’t find any historic imagery for that block

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
^ Damn I did a streetview tour of that area and its looks barren. Why is there so much vacant retail space in the South Loop?
That section of Michigan Ave has rapidly transformed in just the last few years and it could be the main drag of the area after the current renovation cycle. The city also just put up a cool motor row street sign on the same scale as the Fulton market sign. Williams Inn pizza is a good spot, there's a new brewery to replace the failed Motor Row Brewing.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 4:27 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Yes, there’s definitely been a shift since the McCormick Place green line stop was built. It’s great to hear that a fast food place is gonna be replaced with something substantial. I’d love to see somebody do that with the White Castle next.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 10:16 PM

Wow, the owner of Water Tower Place is handing the keys over to its lender.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...lender-metlife

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 11:17 PM

Obviously it doesn't matter to mall owners if tenants are closing shop, but Water Tower Place was bustling with shoppers the last time I went. 900 North Michigan and the Shops at North Bridge have also felt as busy if not busier than visits a few years back, in the before times.

It seems like a lot of failing malls in the suburbs are being reimagined as self-contained communities, so perhaps that template doesn't work here and they're just offloading them? I think they'll regret losing their downtown footprints though – the anchors might be failing but the foot traffic is there and with some creative direction these places could easily be thriving.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2022, 11:40 PM

Beating a dead horse, but the way to save Michigan Avenue is to give it a drastic road diet to go with dedicated bus and bike lanes. Expand the park near the old water tower to be large public plaza fit for actual events. Find a better way to encourage restaurants, office, and residential along with smaller retail footprints and just a few flagships. Turn it into a true urban destination that people want to visit and spend time. Nobody is visiting big cities to shop at Levi's or Banana Republic stores, this isn't the '50s when people didn't have access to abundant retail no matter where they lived.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development