HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 12:39 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Well, it has the exact zoning (and size) as Vanderbilt. Make of that what you will.
Vanderbilt has a relatively low amount of square footage. It just has very high ceilings and a lot of vanity height.

I hope this one does too. Otherwise I'd expect a 3-350 meter building.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 7:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Vanderbilt has a relatively low amount of square footage. It just has very high ceilings and a lot of vanity height.

I hope this one does too. Otherwise I'd expect a 3-350 meter building.

Vanderbilt is also all office. A mixed use tower here (office/hotel/residential) could have different implications.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Looks like this will undergo the route of 175 Park, a temporary re-opening until redevelopment….

https://www.brecorder.com/news/40202334

Quote:
October 11, 2022

Addressing a press conference at Allama Iqbal International Airport here, Saad said that Roosevelt Hotel in New York was also not being sold and added that people should refrain from spreading such rumors.

In response to a question, he said that recommendations were being sent to federal cabinet so that certain part of Roosevelt Hotel could be reopened. He said if it would be delayed the case of this country’s expensive property would go to landmark commission.

Khawaja Saad Rafique said in future under a joint venture a high-rise building would be constructed and the country would fully benefit from it.

As per initial proposal, work on its 300 to 400 rooms would be started, he added.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 8:18 PM
Show me the blueprints

This might not be a popular opinion for a few reasons whether you don't think the Roosevelt needs saving or whether or not you think facade preservation is historic preservation BUT there may be an opportunity here and I dont think its impractical. The Roosevelt is an original Terminal City structure and is gracious, charming and screams classic New York even if one could agree it's not a significant or particularly important piece of architecture. I propose the perimeter full block facade be "facadectomized" and a new supertall tower built roughly 20-30 feet back from the lot line wall. The hotel is interesting in the fact it has wings and that could make for an exceptionally cool three-dimensional juxtaposition between old and new. Yes the interior would be toast. There would be a brand new tower on that city block but wrapped with the textural warmth of the original building, fully restored, at street level and the first 17 floors.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 9:58 PM
New Yorker for life

If it were strictly hotel/residential, floor size wouldn’t be as much of an issue. But there are other issues, such as sidewalk widenings and the public plaza that couldn’t be worked around the existing building.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 10:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

A tower inset from the streetwall by 20 feet would still have attractive and viable floorplates for office. If there's a will there's a way. If they pursued a supersized Hearst Tower approach I have little doubt the city would help them as much as possible.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 11:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

Another possibility is the central low rise portion facing Vanderbilt could become the main tower lobby orientation and in conjunction with a future pedestrianized Vanderbilt could satisfy the plaza requirements. Pursuing a mixed use project of a much smaller hotel on the lower floors and tower above could also be an interesting concept.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 2:05 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i wouldn’t mind seeing a facadectomy here, but i think the windows would be problematic for the new development, be it office or residential on the lower levels. and if you mess with things like that like say to make something bigger or more open, then why even bother?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 2:20 AM
Show me the blueprints

^ Keeping a hotel along the outside perimeter would solve any insuitability of window size for commercial tenants.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 4:07 PM

[QUOTE=NYguy;9757411]Looks like this will undergo the route of 175 Park, a temporary re-opening until redevelopment….

Gotta say.. happy to hear... for now.. the Roosevelt Hotel LIVES!!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 5:44 PM
DENNAB

^ Eh, I'd rather have a skyscraper (despite how cool their lobby is). It sounds like it'll probably get town down eventually so may as well get it over with.

Quote:
Looks like this will undergo the route of 175 Park, a temporary re-opening until redevelopment…
I wonder how long that will last... if demo and construction get started this decade and it ends up as more than just a "high-rise" as the article states, I'll be happy.

I guess whoever tears it down in the end will end up building something pretty tall, otherwise it wouldn't be worth destroying and existing building.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 1:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
A tower inset from the streetwall by 20 feet would still have attractive and viable floorplates for office. If there's a will there's a way. If they pursued a supersized Hearst Tower approach I have little doubt the city would help them as much as possible.
Quote:
Another possibility is the central low rise portion facing Vanderbilt could become the main tower lobby orientation and in conjunction with a future pedestrianized Vanderbilt could satisfy the plaza requirements. Pursuing a mixed use project of a much smaller hotel on the lower floors and tower above could also be an interesting concept.
Sadly, the steet plaza won’t be happening. That was studied during the earlier Vanderbilt approval process. They could go the route of 270. But there goes tour facade, which frankly isn’t worth the trouble of trying to sabe. You either keep the building, or you don’t.

[QUOTE=TonyNYC;9758086]
Quote:
Looks like this will undergo the route of 175 Park, a temporary re-opening until redevelopment….

Gotta say.. happy to hear... for now.. the Roosevelt Hotel LIVES!!
It’s at least on life support. They’re only planning to re-open roughly 30% of it. Just enough to say it’s “open”, avoiding whatever penalties they may have to pay, while getting redevelopment plans in order.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 7:32 PM
New Yorker for life

NOVEMBER 2, 2022

Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 3:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 10:09 PM
New Yorker for life

I don't understand any of this, but they've said they wouldn't be selling the hotel. Someone can translate this...

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 10:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

While we're waiting...

Quote:
Sadly, the steet plaza won’t be happening. That was studied during the earlier Vanderbilt approval process. They could go the route of 270. But there goes tour facade, which frankly isn’t worth the trouble of trying to sabe. You either keep the building, or you don’t.

Maybe this could be reexamined with this latest Vanderbilt public plaza announcement.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 10:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
While we're waiting...

Maybe this could be reexamined with this latest Vanderbilt public plaza announcement.
Lol, I thought you had some translation. But yes, they’re talking about it now.

Me watching those videos, trying to get a clue reminded me of this Farley classic (hope it offends no one)

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 11:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

Farley gold.

Also Jeanine Garafalo was pretty good looking back then or is that just me? Probably just me. I have a weakness for cute nerds.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 2:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Once again, they say those media reports of a sale aren’t true…..

https://timesofislamabad.com/18-Dec-...el-in-new-york

Aviation Minister breaks silence over reports of sale of PIA Roosevelt Hotel in New York

18 Dec, 2022

Quote:
Khawaja Saad Rafique, categorically rejected the rumors about the sale of the PIA-owned Roosevelt Hotel in New York. He said the future of the hotel will be decided next year by the new government.

He said a financial adviser should be hired to explore all possibilities for joint ventures to develop the hotel
as recommended by the previous government.

https://www.aajenglish.tv/news/30307180

Quote:
Federal Minister for Aviation and Pakistan Railways Khawaja Saad Rafique has categorically rejected the claims that the PIA-owned Roosevelt Hotel in the United States is being sold out.

Addressing a press conference at the PR headquarters here on Saturday, he alleged that a news channel was telecasting fake news about the Roosevelt Hotel. He said that no such thing was even under consideration.

He also rejected reports that Pakistan’s flag had been removed from the hotel and clarified that national flag was hoisted at the hotel only when any head of state of the country stayed over there. Otherwise, he clarified that only two flags were displayed at the hotel including one of the US and the other one of the hotel in routine days.

He said that the hotel had been closed during the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government tenure due to some reasons. He said that the current administration of the PIA had asked for permission to repair the rooms of the hotel so that financial burden of US$25 million of the hotel could be reduced. He said that decisions would be made only in the interest of the country. The minister said that the current government, with concerted efforts, saved the hotel from status of a landmark by the US government.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 19, 2022 at 2:23 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 2:38 AM
BANNED

I’d like to see this landmarked, but it clearly will be sold. A lot of firms are seeking new space. A tower here will be a huge success.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals