HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 4:32 PM

So the Forks Warming Huts have been awarded the 2022 RAIC international prize (Sputnik et al).
https://www.canadianarchitect.com/th...ational-prize/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Makes sense, usually when you approach a big city there is a fair bit of that kind of stuff along the highway, but coming from the east on the TCH there is basically nothing... just the new A&W at Deacon's Corner, then the Super 8 near Lag, then boom, you're in the city. It was only a matter of time until someone started adding hotels.
There is also a Tim Hortons, Subway and Little Ceasers on the South West side.

I think they may be there to attract the incoming truck traffic before they reach the 100/101 interchange

Old Posted Sep 27, 2022, 9:09 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

We were in Winnipeg for a wedding last weekend and my wife and I both noticed independently that we thought Winnipeg was in a better state of repair than we had seen in some time. Lots of street and infrastructure renewal going on.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 6:26 PM

Oh man the Truth and Reconciliation Walk looked amazing from the videos I saw today. I looked at other cities such as Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton etc and no other place comes even close to Winnipeg in terms of turnout, vibrancy, and scale.

What do y’all think about Truth and Reconciliation Day? Personally I loved it when I attended last year because it’s also quite educational and helped me understand ways to bridge the gap. Of course I come from another country imposed on by British imperialism so I can heavily relate to their struggle.

Also, having another event that makes Downtown seem amazingly vibrant is always fine by me. I just wish we could add some more elements so that the vibrancy can go all the way to the night (especially since it’s a Friday night)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 6:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Oh man the Truth and Reconciliation Walk looked amazing from the videos I saw today. I looked at other cities such as Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton etc and no other place comes even close to Winnipeg in terms of turnout, vibrancy, and scale.

What do y’all think about Truth and Reconciliation Day? Personally I loved it when I attended last year because it’s also quite educational and helped me understand ways to bridge the gap. Of course I come from another country imposed on by British imperialism so I can heavily relate to their struggle.

Also, having another event that makes Downtown seem amazingly vibrant is always fine by me. I just wish we could add some more elements so that the vibrancy can go all the way to the night (especially since it’s a Friday night)
today if we do anything is sacred and about children and family if we do anything its for the chuldren and their family every child matters

Old Posted Oct 1, 2022, 12:59 PM

At my son's hockey last night (yes the privileged white boy sport) were playing against a team based out of Thompson but have players from The Pas, Rankin Inlet, Coral Harbour, I'd say the team is probably 80-90% Indigenous. We did a pre-game ceremony where both teams formed a circle together, played a recording acknowledging the land we are on, where we get our water from, etc. I felt it was very genuine. These kids (15-17) are a lot more educated on this subject than many of us parents.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 2:29 PM

News reports on CBC about the vandalism to bus shelters. Social Planning Council is concerned that if they aren't fixed, the homeless will be at risk, without a warm place to shelter. Seems to me SPC is missing the point...Bus Shelters are not designed or intended for the homeless. They are not safe for the homeless and it is a risk for transit users. Further, who does the SPC thinks is responsible for the vandalism? Shouldn't they be focusing their attention on REAL housing solutions...and real solutions for poverty, substance abuse, and mental illness that is at the root of the problem, rather than trying to pressure the city to get the shelters fixed?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
News reports on CBC about the vandalism to bus shelters. Social Planning Council is concerned that if they aren't fixed, the homeless will be at risk, without a warm place to shelter. Seems to me SPC is missing the point...Bus Shelters are not designed or intended for the homeless. They are not safe for the homeless and it is a risk for transit users. Further, who does the SPC thinks is responsible for the vandalism? Shouldn't they be focusing their attention on REAL housing solutions...and real solutions for poverty, substance abuse, and mental illness that is at the root of the problem, rather than trying to pressure the city to get the shelters fixed?
Yes it seems to lack the proper focus, but I suppose they look at it as an immediate emergency need, i.e., people needing some kind of shelter to avoid freezing to death. The real solutions have been chewed over and delayed for so long it could take years to reach the point where we're making inroads against homelessness.

However I see your point about using bus shelters for this purpose. I'd rather they find places to set up proper temporary housing with some sanitary facilities and access to heat. I'm no expert on homelessness, but maybe a number of "approved", supported tent cities would be better than relying on bus shelters, at least until some proper housing with supports be built?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 3:54 PM

I love how the transit shelters were built for transit riders (most of whom are working class and non-white), but saying anything about this while they were being taken over by homeless people would get you roundly condemned by local media/academic/political elites (almost all of whom don't rely on transit themselves). Now suddenly the transit shelters are essential housing according to these same elites. Like Winnipeg Transit is responsible for housing people.

Didn't figure the Social Planning Council to go in for this brand of woke neoliberalism, but here we are.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 4:15 PM

Simple solution. Winnipeg Transit should start sourcing these instead:

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 5:09 PM
the first stamp is free

Won't someone please think of the housing challenged people who are either smoking drugs or injecting drugs in the bus shelters - through cold, warm, wet, dry and all weather in between - while the people actually using transit patient wait outside.

It's funny, the only thing that actually stops this type of behavior is when these same people either burn the shelter down, or break most of the glass. Then they just move down to the next intact shelter. Rinse and repeat.

The shelter at near Sherbrook and Portage is the perfect example of this. There is finally enough missing glass panels in that shelter, that most of the congregations have stopped - in favor of the shelter just down in front of Lions Manor.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Won't someone please think of the housing challenged people who are either smoking drugs or injecting drugs in the bus shelters - through cold, warm, wet, dry and all weather in between - while the people actually using transit patient wait outside.

It's funny, the only thing that actually stops this type of behavior is when these same people either burn the shelter down, or break most of the glass. Then they just move down to the next intact shelter. Rinse and repeat.

The shelter at near Sherbrook and Portage is the perfect example of this. There is finally enough missing glass panels in that shelter, that most of the congregations have stopped - in favor of the shelter just down in front of Lions Manor.
There's always more than one story when looking at homeless issues. Advocates often seem to ignore the "difficult" circumstances of drug addiction and the violence that often accompanies it to paint a picture of the homeless as suffering unfortunates, while conservatives tend to paint all homeless as drug-addled criminals.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 7:09 PM

I am sort of surprised that Transit puts normal glass back in and not that Rock Glass that is suppose to be 200x more break resistant. The initial cost may be higher but the replacement costs should be less.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 9:22 PM

What should be apparent to all - including SPC, the Province, City, Transit, every social organization (especially the Main St Project), and every candidate for council and mayor - bus shelters are NOT a suitable housing solution for those in crisis. No one is safe, and it only perpetuates the problem. For SPC to put the onus on the city to fix the shelters to house people is a complete abdication of responsibility. It is not woke liberalism; it is totally misguided and shameful.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 11:45 PM

Quote:

On a minus 35 day not sure would bother grabbing a bus if thats the protection from the weather

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
On a minus 35 day not sure would bother grabbing a bus if thats the protection from the weather
Let's face it, 90% of transit riders here are a captive audience.

But even leaving that aside, how much of a difference does the shelter make ?Not much in my experience. A cold day is a cold day no matter what. It's not like the shelter is 20 degrees inside. All it does is provide a bit of a wind break and allow you not to get rained on.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 12:49 AM

It's crazy to me about the bus shelters. I've rode the bus for years, summer and winter. The bus shelters don't do anything except block the wind. The warming benches don't do much and I'd rather not sit on the steel in -30 temps.

Bus shelters are there to shelter you from the wind and rain. Not keep you warm.

In Minnie for example, they have those heating lamps you can turn on at the stations. Imagine if we had heating lamps?? Imagine the outrage.

Open are coverings for most of the shelters would be fine. And how about have people clear out squatters. I don't care if they come back the next day. Do it again, and again, and again. Eventually it'll stop.

Oh and you know, social programming, something something. Which of the mayoral candidates have pledges anything substantial for social programs? Serious question cause I can't be bothered to follow the shit show.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 12:58 AM

Ditch the roofs and the benches, make them unbreakable plexiglass, and hose the scuzz out twice daily. Then they’d be functional.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
There is not much that gives the city a bad look more than those street campers barricading bus shelters with tarps and boxes, while actual bus riders are having to stand out in the cold.

If the city had any consideration for bus riders they would clear the campers out before they get settled. City shelters are for street people. Bus shelters are for riders.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan