HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
https://simpleflying.com/air-canada-...border-routes/

I find it absolutely insane that there is no announcement for Winnipeg YWG. It’s frustrating actually. Always left in the dust.
I think every Canadian airport outside of the big four is in the same situation to some extent. But the trend is definitely towards the restoration/expansion of services. Once the big four are back to normal, smaller airports will be next.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 8:57 PM

In the mean time, trying to book flights into the US is near impossible...if you want your trip to be less than 10 hours! Trying to book to FL for business. Almost everything is thru Toronto with one option thru Calgary. It is insane. And the reverse is that anyone trying to do business here, is faced with similarly limited and unattractive options. Its an economic killer.
I recall when AC used to have the direct route to Chicago. Left in the morning, came home the same night!!
I understand that airlines are still in recovery mode, dealing with shortages in professional staff, but please, spread the love around a bit!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 9:06 PM

Have to do the drive to Grand Forks and catch a direct flight to Florida. And that's limited t one flight every 2 weeks or something.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 2:03 PM

Soooooooo apparently WestJet is going to announce Winnipeg to Atlanta 2 times a week starting the summer

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 2:06 PM

Atlanta is a major Delt hub, so great for connections

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Atlanta is a major Delt hub, so great for connections
Bit of a slap to the Delta employees that work the MSP flights. For Delta to give that to WestJet is like woah

But it’s only rumors…

WestJet is suppose to be making a bit expansion in Winnipeg in the fall though I’ve been told

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Bit of a slap to the Delta employees that work the MSP flights. For Delta to give that to WestJet is like woah

But it’s only rumors…

WestJet is suppose to be making a bit expansion in Winnipeg in the fall though I’ve been told
Is it really a slap if Delta is unwilling/unable to operate it, though?

I honestly wonder what the rumoured ATL flight will be used for other than connections to Florida. I can't imagine there's a ton of traffic to and from that region. Might have been better as a flight to FLL/MIA.

These new nonstop WS flights to US destinations are nice, but it's just too bad that they tend to be so infrequent.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 5:49 PM

Oh a direct flight to the busiest airport in the World that’s not a bad get. I’ve always wanted to visit Atlanta so this flight will make it a lot easier.

I’m glad that WestJet is investing more into making Winnipeg a hub.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Oh a direct flight to the busiest airport in the World that’s not a bad get. I’ve always wanted to visit Atlanta so this flight will make it a lot easier.

I’m glad that WestJet is investing more into making Winnipeg a hub.

This comment right here!! I love Atlanta, let alone the state of Georgia as a whole. Winnipeg needs to be better connected to the world. This is such great news. Would be better if it was non stop daily service as this route would be great for European/ international connections.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is it really a slap if Delta is unwilling/unable to operate it, though?

I honestly wonder what the rumoured ATL flight will be used for other than connections to Florida. I can't imagine there's a ton of traffic to and from that region. Might have been better as a flight to FLL/MIA.

These new nonstop WS flights to US destinations are nice, but it's just too bad that they tend to be so infrequent.
South America and Africa. Toronto flights to South America aren't great.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:12 PM

^ Is ATL a hub for service to Africa? I didn't know that. Yeah, having another option for connections to South America other than YYZ would be good. Although in my view IAH would be even better in that regard, would be fantastic if UA jumped back into Winnipeg with a route there and to ORD.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:40 PM

Quote:
^ Is ATL a hub for service to Africa? I didn't know that. Yeah, having another option for connections to South America other than YYZ would be good. Although in my view IAH would be even better in that regard, would be fantastic if UA jumped back into Winnipeg with a route there and to ORD.
Lagos and Johannesburg daily, Addis 4x weekly, Cape Town 3x weekly. It isn't a ton, but it's something.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:44 PM

Didnt Westjet use to have direct from WPG to Orlando? Planning a trip next summer and noticed its not the best for flights (Miami was way worse).

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:47 PM

Yes, nonstop to Orlando and Fort Lauderdale, I remember taking the latter. Possibly other destinations too, maybe the Gulf Coast? I'm pretty sure those nonstops to Florida tended to be seasonal, though (i.e. not operating in the summer... people typically don't want to deal with intense summertime Florida heat).

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 5:07 PM

I wonder if Netflix could be influencing the YWG-ATL flight. Atlanta and Georgia is another major production hub for tv and film. Netflix is very openly pushing the build of the new sound stage on Inkster and they like to use the same talent pools for producing their content. Making it easier for their people to move between production hubs like LAX, YVR, YWG, YYZ, and ATL could make sense.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 10:59 PM

^ Interesting, I was not aware of that possible connection.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 3:33 PM
There is always a way

Having ATL would be good for the production business, but what I wonder is whether that would cannibalize traffic off of the MSP flights? I'd be pretty happy with one or the other, so long as frequency was high.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 6:54 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Having ATL would be good for the production business, but what I wonder is whether that would cannibalize traffic off of the MSP flights? I'd be pretty happy with one or the other, so long as frequency was high.
I'm perfectly happy with an Atlanta route. It's a massive Delta hub and one of the busiest airports in the world. It will connect Winnipeg with a lot of Euro/African routes that we previously do not have great access to, or that are very difficult to get to from Winnipeg. If it's true-a very smart move.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I'm perfectly happy with an Atlanta route. It's a massive Delta hub and one of the busiest airports in the world. It will connect Winnipeg with a lot of Euro/African routes that we previously do not have great access to, or that are very difficult to get to from Winnipeg. If it's true-a very smart move.
Good connection with Mexico City too. Will make it easier to get to many of Mexico's airports.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 10:41 PM

Quote:
^ Interesting, I was not aware of that possible connection.
Atlanta and Georgia to a broader extent does a lot of sort of b-grade tv and movie production sort of similar in caliber to the Hallmark, etc stuff getting here. It was never formally said publicly that Netflix essentially making Winnipeg a year round content production hub contributed directly to the YWG-LAX flight but we have long heard the whispers about how that exact route would greatly assist the film and tv production industry. It wouldn't be surprising if Netflix directly influenced the LAX flight.

Now if ATL gets added for similar reasons it is when things truly get interesting as NYC is obviously the last major content production hub in English North America without a direct flight from YWG. That could be a lot bigger stretch though due to slot constraints in those airports.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan