HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 8:50 PM

Not sure if already mentioned here, but UPX down to $12. I intend to give it a try next time in YYZ.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 8:58 PM
Heart of the Continent

I have a 7 1/2 layover on my way to Athens on the 25th. I think I'll be trying the train that day.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 9:18 PM

I didn't mean for this to turn into a GTA transportation thread heh.

Nippon Cargo coming in on the 11th in the early morning with a 747 going direct to KKJ (Japan). Normally those charters make a stop at ANC.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 10:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

prolly dropping somthing off of picking up

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:50 PM

Aren't those large scale cargo charters to southeast Asia usually here to pickup livestock, most commonly hogs?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:57 PM

^ Horses/horsemeat too, believe it or not. Don't ask me how I know this.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:03 PM

I think someone asked this already but do we know why porter is coming for two days with two turn flights in May?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
I think someone asked this already but do we know why porter is coming for two days with two turn flights in May?
Riverman said it was a trial run.

Would be great to have an extra option to Toronto... I've never flown on Porter, but I'm guessing there might be some good and well-priced connection opportunities to their US and Atlantic destinations?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Riverman said it was a trial run.

Would be great to have an extra option to Toronto... I've never flown on Porter, but I'm guessing there might be some good and well-priced connection opportunities to their US and Atlantic destinations?
Wish they advertise it more

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:43 PM

It's not really the most convenient set of flights unless you want to book a return ticket to spend a day and a half (on the weekend no less) in Toronto. As a trial run, I doubt packing 'em in really matters all that much to Porter anyway. The plane will probably be half filled with airline, airport and other supplier types checking things out.

I'm surprised that the local media hasn't picked up on this yet.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:24 PM

It would seem YWG operations are very hungry to get another airline flying scheduled service out of here. It would not be surprising if they were aggressively chasing Porter to get something moving sooner than later. It could be that YWG is giving Porter very favourable terms but with a clock on them that is running out. The trial could be an operational test to see how viable service between YWG-YTZ is, not so much the soft launch which people here are trying to spin it into.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It would seem YWG operations are very hungry to get another airline flying scheduled service out of here. It would not be surprising if they were aggressively chasing Porter to get something moving sooner than later. It could be that YWG is giving Porter very favourable terms but with a clock on them that is running out. The trial could be an operational test to see how viable service between YWG-YTZ is, not so much the soft launch which people here are trying to spin it into.
With only 2 return flights over a weekend and no apparent commitment to anything beyond that, I wouldn't really consider it a soft launch so much as just that, an operational test.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:48 PM
the first stamp is free

Does Porter only fly turbo-prop? Or am I thinking of some other airline?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Does Porter only fly turbo-prop? Or am I thinking of some other airline?
Yes, that's them. This is what they fly:

flightsnation.com

Winnipeg-Toronto is definitely at the long end of what those planes are capable of. At one point, Porter was talking about getting Bombardier CS100 jets, but I'm not sure if that's still on or not. I think expansion of the YTZ airport was a necessary part of that plan and that's always a touchy subject in Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:57 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Yes, that's them. This is what they fly:

flightsnation.com

Winnipeg-Toronto is definitely at the long end of what those planes are capable of.
Cool thanks.

That would be a good nap flight for me. Calm Air puts me to sleep all the time.

I checked the Porter Website. The flights I could see departed on May 26th (Thursday, morning or afternoon flight) and returned Sunday the 29th (morning and afternoon flights).

$183 each way.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 9:12 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised that the local media hasn't picked up on this yet.
I have not heard of it at all either. Not sure who is handling these flights - above wing, below wing, or fuel. Are they planning on using a gate or parking on a position where Calm Air normally parks? You would be surprised how last minute airlines can be.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:57 AM

so I asked my friend to ask around for us about Porter lol apparently it has to do with government workers or the election, something like that, it's a charter flight but not at the same time since regular passengers can buy too online.
that's all I got if I hear anything else or what it is for sure I will advise

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 2:34 PM

Quote:
At one point, Porter was talking about getting Bombardier CS100 jets, but I'm not sure if that's still on or not. I think expansion of the YTZ airport was a necessary part of that plan and that's always a touchy subject in Toronto.
The expansion of the runway at YTZ to be long enough for the CS100 was part of Porter's contingent order as would Bombardier completing the design and air worthiness of the CS100 which is itself pretty questionable these days.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
so I asked my friend to ask around for us about Porter lol apparently it has to do with government workers or the election, something like that, it's a charter flight but not at the same time since regular passengers can buy too online.
that's all I got if I hear anything else or what it is for sure I will advise
OK, so much for that then. Just a one-off charter... I guess that's why it hasn't popped up in the news.

Given that Winnipeg is one of the only fairly major untapped markets in Canada within range of Porter's aircraft, I wonder why they haven't made a serious push here?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 2:52 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The expansion of the runway at YTZ to be long enough for the CS100 was part of Porter's contingent order as would Bombardier completing the design and air worthiness of the CS100 which is itself pretty questionable these days.
The expansion of YTZ is a very unpopular subject in T-dot. Quite unlikely to happen. Although a portion of this article makes a good case for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan