HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
That's an unprovable claim for even the cities you mentioned and their claim to fame. Your standard is unreasonable.

At least Atlanta can say it brought the whole world to its doorstep when it hosted the most premier, recurring international gathering in modern times.
See you're getting off track here and touting accolades... it's easy to do with Atlanta I guess, because a strong national identity hasn't been well enough established for long enough and it has a lot of positive attributes to chose from.

So... hosting the Olympics in 1996 is Atlanta's identity, it's cultural impact?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
See you're getting off track here and touting accolades... it's easy to do with Atlanta I guess, because a strong national identity hasn't been well enough established for long enough and it has a lot of positive attributes to chose from.

I think what people are saying is that Atlanta serving as the unofficial capital of black american culture IS impact to many in this thread.

What cultural impact does word association like "Dallas:cowboy boots" have?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:31 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Atlanta:

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 9:59 PM

Quote:

I was very much on track when I stated that making the standard a global one in terms of world recognition is something that you're not really going to be able to prove for any of the cities you mentioned. I also don't think that's a necessary condition for possessing high cultural impact.

My simply point in mentioning the Olympics was to say that it gained worldwide exposure by hosting it, although it seems like forever ago at this point. But that event served as the city's introduction to the world. Apart from that, if you still want to use a global standard, I'd say Atlanta is fairly recognized throughout the Global African Diaspora. America's cultural exports tend to have a disproportionately Black influence, and Atlanta is a/the premier hub of Black American culture right now.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:

I don't think many people care or even remember the 1996 Olympics. That's not really important.

I don't know how you can honestly argue that Dallas has some sort of uber famous brand but Atlanta doesn't.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
I was very much on track when I stated that making the standard a global one in terms of world recognition is something that you're not really going to be able to prove for any of the cities you mentioned. I also don't think that's a necessary condition for possessing high cultural impact.

My simply point in mentioning the Olympics was to say that it gained worldwide exposure by hosting it, although it seems like forever ago at this point. But that event served as the city's introduction to the world. Apart from that, if you still want to use a global standard, I'd say Atlanta is fairly recognized throughout the Global African Diaspora. America's cultural exports tend to have a disproportionately Black influence, and Atlanta is a/the premier hub of Black American culture right now.
I guess I sort of started some of this, so I need to explain more of my opinion. As a black American, I am aware that Atlanta is the major hub of black America and it has MLK history, and I think it is a pretty area. In fact, I have two brothers that moved there from NY and knew many people from NY that moved there. I still think of New Orleans or even a non-southern city like Detroit as more a brand than Atlanta. Atlanta certainly has a brand and a unique history, and every city has one to an extent, but I see more of a specialness or uniqueness in New Orleans than Atlanta. But that's just my opinion...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I guess I sort of started some of this, so I need to explain more of my opinion. As a black American, I am aware that Atlanta is the major hub of black America and it has MLK history, and I think it is a pretty area. In fact, I have two brothers that moved there from NY and knew many people from NY that moved there. I still think of New Orleans or even a non-southern city like Detroit as more a brand than Atlanta. Atlanta certainly has a brand and a unique history, and every city has one to an extent, but I see more of a specialness or uniqueness in New Orleans than Atlanta. But that's just my opinion...
I can understand that and it's not unreasonable as New Orleans is arguably the most unique city in the country and Detroit was ground zero for an industry that has reshaped the entire civilized world, and I heard they weren't too shabby in the music department either. But at the least, Atlanta deserves credit for perfecting the art of self-branding and self-promotion in order to secure the bag.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 5:07 AM

Guys, a lot of you know I’ve been agency-side marketing and branding for 20 years now. Our travel, hospitality, and tourism client list still impresses me all these years along. I have hundreds of prop qualitative / quantitative studies on destination brand equity in target markets.

I can’t speak for EMEA, but when it comes to APAC, Atlanta is unknown. Few American cities have successfully broken through in my neck of the woods: NYC, SF, “Hawaii”, Las Vegas, and LA. Those are your only American cities with broad brand recognition in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, the PRC, SG, etc. Second tier cities with niche equity are Boston, Seattle, Orlando, and DC. That’s it. New Orleans barely registers, even with audience segments who overindex on international travel propensity. Atlanta doesn’t register at all. Chicago doesn’t even register. Americans tend to have an inflated understanding of how well their home state or city is known outside of the US and Canada.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 1:41 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ JR was shot 40 years ago and I would gather most people under 35 are mostly unaware of that show.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
^ JR was shot 40 years ago and I would gather most people under 35 are mostly unaware of that show.
True, but doesn't it illustrate something remarkable about lasting identity/brand that those same people still associate Dallas with some cowboy ethos, even though Dallas has never really been much of a cowboy place to begin with?

Also... that Lucy Ewing was quite a sexy little dish.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 2:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
True, but doesn't it illustrate something remarkable about lasting identity/brand that those same people still associate Dallas with some cowboy ethos, even though Dallas has never really been much of a cowboy place to begin with?

Also... that Lucy Ewing was quite a sexy little dish.
When that show came out, Dallas (and Houston) were rather 'cowboyish' with the hats, Cadillac's and swagger. Wealthy oilmen lived in town but maintained ranches. I was really little but Dallas seemed to capture big city Texas of that time and yes, Dallas has kept that glitzy image ever since even if memories of the show have faded.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 2:44 PM

Quote:
JR Ewing was shot several years before I was born, but I still know what "Who shot J.R.?" means. But I am +35.

I think most people born before the mid-90s are aware of the show. The show didn't go off the air until 1991, and it was heavily referenced in pop culture throughout the 90s. Then the reboot, while not nearly as popular as the original, may have given awareness to the younger millennials and older Gen Zs.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Dallas has kept that glitzy image ever since even if memories of the show have faded.
I've heard that before but I don't think that image carries well outside of Texas. I mean Dallas is just a random sprawly large city (maybe kinda cowboy-ish) in Texas and that's basically the end of what most Americans think of it. Other Texas cities take more of the spotlight.

But I've heard Texans hate Dallas with a passion, it's got a snobby/elitist image but can't really back that up with anything. Somebody said Dallas can be described as "bougie for no reason".

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 3:11 PM
Dryer lint inspector

It's mainly a dated but friendly rivalry between Houston and Dallas when Dallas historically was the more cosmopolitan and upwardly mobile of the two. Houston and Austin have long since caught up in that regard and they've all gotten a lot more culturally diverse.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Guys, a lot of you know I’ve been agency-side marketing and branding for 20 years now. Our travel, hospitality, and tourism client list still impresses me all these years along. I have hundreds of prop qualitative / quantitative studies on destination brand equity in target markets.

I can’t speak for EMEA, but when it comes to APAC, Atlanta is unknown. Few American cities have successfully broken through in my neck of the woods: NYC, SF, “Hawaii”, Las Vegas, and LA. Those are your only American cities with broad brand recognition in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, the PRC, SG, etc. Second tier cities with niche equity are Boston, Seattle, Orlando, and DC. That’s it. New Orleans barely registers, even with audience segments who overindex on international travel propensity. Atlanta doesn’t register at all. Chicago doesn’t even register. Americans tend to have an inflated understanding of how well their home state or city is known outside of the US and Canada.
Thanks for this. I was wondering exactly how one could determine how well a U.S. city and its brand are known in other parts of the world and it simply doesn't sound plausible that places like Nashville, Dallas, and even New Orleans are well-known globally for their cultural impact and Atlanta is not. That said, it is to be expected that Southern cities are relatively unknown in Asia which, along with Australia, is the part of the world farthest removed from the South and the fact that you did not list Miami, the most international city in the U.S. South by several measures, basically proves this. It would be interesting to see which Southern cities besides Miami register most in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and South America.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I've heard that before but I don't think that image carries well outside of Texas. I mean Dallas is just a random sprawly large city (maybe kinda cowboy-ish) in Texas and that's basically the end of what most Americans think of it. Other Texas cities take more of the spotlight.

But I've heard Texans hate Dallas with a passion, it's got a snobby/elitist image but can't really back that up with anything. Somebody said Dallas can be described as "bougie for no reason".
I think you're a little off on this. Dallas became a city associated with big money and luxury in the 1970s. It was the "new money" capital of the day... and exemplified the "big Texas" over-the-top wealth, where everything big is better... hence the "Dallas" prime time soap opera premiering in the late 70s. Perfect setting for big business, Reagan-era hedonism, where all the dudes are competing to outmoney each other and boning each others' wives and mistresses -- which the women just can't get enough of.

And it is still one of the top 10 wealthiest cities in the world. It has something like 300k millionaires and around 20 billionaires. Dallas' image of big wealth definitely exists outside of Texas. You're quite misinformed if you think not.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 3:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
You mean this city and family aren't immediately recognizable worldwide???

Source: Alchetron.com
I LOVE those suits and big hair!!!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

That's interesting, but not sure it's really relevant to this discussion. I took the original question of this thread to mean "which Southern cities have impacted US culture the most". It's not about which cities have the best brand recognition, here or in Asia.

I just don't see how brand recognition = cultural impact. Furthermore, it's pretty clear based on this list of cities, that awareness is tied to 1) geography and 2) major tourist attractions. Of course West Coast cities are generally going to be more recognizable to people in Asia...it's where the majority of flights between the two places o/d. It's also where some of the largest communities of Asians live in North America (NYC and Toronto being notable outliers). Outside of those cities, you have basically the global capital of NYC, the national capital, Vegas and Disneyworld. Asians aren't aware of these places due to their tremendous local cultures. It doesn't surprise me one bit that people in Asia are generally unaware of New Orleans. Does that mean New Orleans has no cultural impact? I just think conflating awareness, especially on the other side of the world, with domestic cultural impact is comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited by edale; Jun 26, 2020 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

dallas is a nicer city than i'd realized, after living there a bit and exploring some. it's got very nice/clean road infrastructure (you don't really see any traffic signals on wires, and a lot of their power lines are buried!) a lot of high-end shopping, etc. a lot of electronics we take for granted were created/invented there. (DLP chips used in projectors, the first commercial silicon transistor, etc)

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 6:48 PM
E pluribus unum

^Who among us that attended high school in the 1990s/early 2000's didn't have a Texas Instruments TI-83 graphing calculator?

Credit where credit's due: My dad loved watching Dallas and I remember watching the opening credits a lot when I was a kid just because I loved the shots of the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions