HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Well when I'm feeble and retired and done summering in wonderful Thompson Manitoba, I'll be wintering in beautiful New Kingman-Butler Arizona..Any bets on which place I'll become a statistic in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Yeah, for Arizona at least, they chose the right one. Of any statistical area greater than 100k in AZ, Kingman would be my last choice, and Butler is the armpit of Kingman. The list didn't even give the worst of it. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
There have been numerous plans and attempts to annex all or parts of Butler into the City of Kingman over the years, since it is an integral part of the Kingman community, but each has failed. One major problem with annexation into Kingman is the fact that Butler does not have a developed sanitary sewer system; all residences and buildings in Butler have individual septic tanks. The costs of developing and connecting a sewer system to all customers in Butler, if annexed into Kingman, is considerable. The fiscal assets required for such an investment by the City of Kingman likely could not be raised without assessment of a primary property tax on all landowners in the city; however, no such primary parcel tax has been approved by voters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ki...utler,_Arizona

The last time I wasn't in Kingman was for a court hearing. It was held at a local lawyer's home office, which was overrun with about a dozen cats. Sacha Baron Cohen's film was not an exaggeration.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 1:53 AM

I might go through the whole thing if it was in alphabetical order and not full of ads…

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 2:53 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I agree this list is stupid, but I got a chuckle out of Middletown being listed as Ohio's shittiest place to live. I can think of way worse places in the state (sadly), but seeing how that shit stain of a person JD Vance (Hillbilly Elegy author and current US Senate candidate) is from there, I think it deserves the title lol.
i'll go along with that logic lol, but yeah there are much worse places in ohio. and i am not even talking about violence. the sheer depression of steubenville for example.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
oh yeah.

they probably forgot it even still sorta exists.

just like most people.

recent Cairo, IL news: it's the county seat for Alexander County, which had the distinction of losing a greater percentage of population last decade than any other county in the nation, from 8,238 in 2010 down to 5,240 in 2020 (-36.4%). Cairo itself lost -38.8% of its ever-dwindling population, dropping from 2,831 in 2010 down to 1,733 in 2020.
Ha! I forgot about it too. At least you can take the train to St Louis if you don’t have a car, and you live in East Saint. Cairo is isolated, and a shadow of its former self. I don’t know it’s transportation situation, but I imagine it’s nowhere near what ESTL has.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 3:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Ha! I forgot about it too. At least you can take the train to St Louis if you don’t have a car, and you live in East Saint. Cairo is isolated, and a shadow of its former self. I don’t know it’s transportation situation, but I imagine it’s nowhere near what ESTL has.
interestingly enough, Amtrak's "city of new orleans" route from chicago down to new orleans goes right through Cairo, but the city no longer has a stop along the route, it was discontinued in 1987, further isolating the city.

today, if you want to get to cairo without a car, your gonna have to take a very expensive cab/uber ride from a nearby place with amtrak/greyhound/airport service, gape giradeau, fulton, or paducah - all about 25 - 30 miles away.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:03 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Yeah, for Arizona at least, they chose the right one. Of any statistical area greater than 100k in AZ, Kingman would be my last choice, and Butler is the armpit of Kingman. The list didn't even give the worst of it. From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ki...utler,_Arizona

The last time I wasn't in Kingman was for a court hearing. It was held at a local lawyer's home office, which was overrun with about a dozen cats. Sacha Baron Cohen's film was not an exaggeration.
My first experience with Kingman was in 2009 when I went with a transgender friend of mine as support when he was trying to get custody of his daughter. I half expected us to be chased out of town with pitchforks and torches but it went way better than expected. He was granted joint custody by a judge who read up on transgender parental rights before the hearing.

The "Who is America" clip is a pretty decent encapsulation of the mentality of Kingman. Its part of Paul Gosar's district, after all. I was half-expecting Colorado City to be named as Arizona's worst.

Middletown, Ohio ain't great, but worst in Ohio? Having just (briefly) visited Huntington/Tri-Cities area and Gallipolis, there's some contenders along Ohio Route 7...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Have you seen Kingman? its the middle of nowhere but at the confluence of a few major transportation routes. What would you expect them to think?

I know its for some reason very hard for the modern urban progressive types to wrap its overeducated hands around but not everyone sees the world like you do. And no, shoving it down their throats doesn't help your cause.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 4:47 PM

Having just stopped in Barstow on the drive back from Vegas, I'd say it's a contender for California's worst. I was shocked to see how run down it was and how many homeless people were around. It was bleak.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 6:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^^ yikes! that aerial view of kingman makes schaumburg look like freaking paris.

AMERICA: completely fucking up city building for over 70 years now, and somehow getting even worse at it

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 6:29 PM
A Man In Dandism

That might be one of the top 5 worst aerials ever posted on SSP.

On the ground though it looks a little bit better. Kinda reminds me of Radiator Springs from Cars.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 6:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Have you seen Kingman? its the middle of nowhere but at the confluence of a few major transportation routes. What would you expect them to think?

I know its for some reason very hard for the modern urban progressive types to wrap its overeducated hands around but not everyone sees the world like you do. And no, shoving it down their throats doesn't help your cause.

Yeah, their outright racism is totally excusable, because, you know, its the middle of nowhere but at the confluence of a few major transportation routes.

So, tell me about your Dream Mosque.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 7:06 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post

On the ground though it looks a little bit better. Kinda reminds me of Radiator Springs from Cars.
I think the actual inspiration for Radiator Springs came from nearby Seligman and Oatman. Either way, Route 66 runs right through all three towns and almost every ghost town (or places that have seen better days) between Los Angeles and the Texas/New Mexico border share similarities.

The building stock of Downtown Kingman isn't bad, but wide roads and oppressive summertime heat make it difficult to develop further. Being the county seat of Mohave County keeps it afloat.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 7:54 PM

How small can a place be and still be considered a city? This (Robstown, TX) is what I would call a "town." https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7893...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^^ yikes! that aerial view of kingman makes schaumburg look like freaking paris.

AMERICA: completely fucking up city building for over 70 years now, and somehow getting even worse at it
Schaumburg is at least a suburb, Kingman is literally a 2 horse town that only exists due to Train and Highway passing through it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
How small can a place be and still be considered a city? This (Robstown, TX) is what I would call a "town." https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7893...7i13312!8i6656
I consider anything below 1 million metro a "town"

Quote:
because, you know, its the middle of nowhere
Yes, people are less likely to be open when they are not exposed to it. This pattern is found literally everywhere on earth and across all time and cultures.

If you replace some of the more stereotypical American tropes and replaced this meeting with a city in Japan the general xenophobia would probably match.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 8:25 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Having just stopped in Barstow on the drive back from Vegas, I'd say it's a contender for California's worst. I was shocked to see how run down it was and how many homeless people were around. It was bleak.
A lot of places in that area are pretty crappy. Mojave. Johannesburg. Hinkley. Baker at least has the world's tallest thermometer. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2663...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post

I chose an unflattering pic, the original town from wild west days isnt so bad and has good bones.

Old pic but eh, not a lot of people taking pics of Kingman

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 4:48 PM
Beer Stampede

They chose Spanish Lake for Missouri. That's pretty interesting considering that Spanish Lake is a CDP and not actually an incorporated town. I've never been there, so I don't know what it's like, but me thinks there were plenty of more worthy contenders to represent the state of Missouri.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 5:10 PM
ハルウララ

Bangor ME seems like a no-brainer based on previous visits, although nearby Orono isn't awful with the University of Maine. I'm not sure if they qualified but I would have thought Eastport, Calais, or Houlton would have all been better (worse) picks.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 6:37 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
How small can a place be and still be considered a city?
My point of reference is New York but if it has a mayor/ city council and is incorporated as such, it's a city no matter the size. Towns are not municipalities and again, in New York, act as little counties. If towns were considered cities in NYS, the second largest 'city' would be Hempstead which has about 750k people. There are four other towns bigger than Buffalo, the actual second largest city.

Here in Texas, I think it's either a city or unincorporated. Regardless of size...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions