HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 12:23 AM
BANNED

I just heard Kevin Donnely (CEO of MTS Centre) on TV. he was justifying the $225/ticket Simon & Garfunkel ticket prices, stating that "we have a smaller facility than a larger centre like Toronto."

If the Jets return, I would be prepared to pay up to $70/ticket, 3-4 times a year to see them, but if the price is over $100/ticket for the average seat, I may get scared off.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 12:23 AM
Heart of the Continent

Well you certainly aren't very dedicated.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I just heard Kevin Donnely (CEO of MTS Centre) on TV. he was justifying the $225/ticket Simon & Garfunkel ticket prices, stating that "we have a smaller facility than a larger centre like Toronto."

If the Jets return, I would be prepared to pay up to $70/ticket, 3-4 times a year to see them, but if the price is over $100/ticket for the average seat, I may get scared off.
And you call yourself Jets 4 Life...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 1:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Well you certainly aren't very dedicated rich.

Sorry had to correct you.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 2:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Then you should really change your name as it gives the impression that you will support a new NHL team in Winnipeg under any circumstances. But with the statement you made above, it shows that even you have limits to how much you are willing to support a team in Winnipeg, and aren't as dedicated a fan as you make yourself out to be or think you are.

Last edited by RTD; Mar 12, 2010 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 3:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Then you should really change your name as it gives the impression that you will support a new NHL team in Winnipeg under any circumstances. But with the statement you made above, it shows that even you have limits to how much you are willing to support a team in Winnipeg, and aren't as dedicated a fan as you make yourself out to be or think you are.

I'm just being realistic. I have other priorities. I loved the Jets and pray that they will return. However, placing the jets ahead of say Child Support payments, loans, etc. isn't being very realistic. I would buy Jets merchandise, cheer for them, etc. I just have to keep my budget balanced.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 3:24 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it really doesn't matter anyway.

When the NHL finally returns to Winnipeg, I would imagine that a minimum of 12,000 season tickets will be sold for at least the first 5-years (after that the team better be at least somewhat decent, because we are a fair weather bunch).

There is only going to be so many individual tickets available, and they will be scooped up very fast, regardless if Jets4Life is buying or not.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 3:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Agreed. An NHL team in Winnipeg will sell insanely well... for a few years, anyway.

Besides, concerts cost a lot more than $70/ticket these days and they seem to sell out on a regular basis. If people perceive the on-ice product to be good, they'll pay. Winnipeggers aren't *that* cheap, contrary to stereotypes.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 3:58 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Historically, Winnipeggers are 'fair-weather fans.' If the team has a lousy record, games probably won't sell out. While there may be a novelty factor for the first few seasons, a few years of being in the bottom of the tough West Division may make going to games a hard sell for the casual fan and many season ticket holders. This was true of the Jets, and is still the case with the Bombers. For example, last season, the Mike Kelly Catastrophe led to 1/3 of the seats unsold for many games - and on beautiful weather days as well. If the Blue is doing well, they sell out (same story with the Riders).

Anyway, the current agreement in the NHL not only has a salary cap/ceiling, but also a floor. Currently, for the 2009/10 season, NHL teams cannot have the combined salaries of their players be less than $40.8-M. I would suspect that if the day comes when we get a team, we would be paying close to the floor to ensure the team is in the black. In other words, we probably wouldn't be much of a competitor and would only just scrape into the playoffs in the odd year. The Coyotes pay near the floor and don't really have star players/goal scorers, and they are usually in the bottom of the barrel (this year being a very odd year for them, as they have more wins than losses).

One possible way to pay near the floor and still field a somewhat competitive team, is to have an extensive scouting program. However, it costs big dollars to do that properly. We'll need to be able to spot the diamonds in the rough and play the draft smart. We'd probably lose our stars after their rookie contract expires though, so as to stay near the salary floor.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Mar 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 6:28 PM

I would expect that if a Winnipeg NHL team were to offer their season ticket packages at various sizes (full season, half season, 15-game, 11-game packs), and then offer 7 and 4-game packs ~Christmas time, they would certainly have a strong revenue base.

Pay-per-view would probably do well, as many people with their recently-acquired 60' plasma tvs (or LCDs ) would be willing to pay to watch in the comfort of their own homes.

I'm sure we'd be better of than offering 2-for-1 tickets, including beer and parking to the "Ice hockey game..."

Obviously a new team probably wouldn't be called the Jets, simply so that they'd have a new brand to market.
Everyone needs a new jersey, hat, t-shirts, etc...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 6:29 PM

I would look at 2009 Bomber attendance as an anomaly with Winnipeg fans voting with their feet over mike kelly and his brutish manner. I share season tickets and did not go to a couple games for that very reason. I know many people that did the same. We BOUGHT the tickets but did not attend. Hell we could not even GIVE them away.

Bomber attendance in the last few years has been remarkable despite the fact there has been no Grey Cups for a generation. This in that horrid stadium that does not lend itself to drawing the casual fan like the Goldeyes stadium does.

When you look at historical attendance for the Jets one must marvel simply because that team was almost always an also-ran. I had Jets seasons as well, but NEVER missed a game because I was upset with the team.

One might tag Winnipeggers as fair-weather fans but I dare say it takes some doing to push us over-the-top...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
I would expect that if a Winnipeg NHL team were to offer their season ticket packages at various sizes (full season, half season, 15-game, 11-game packs), and then offer 7 and 4-game packs ~Christmas time, they would certainly have a strong revenue base.

Pay-per-view would probably do well, as many people with their recently-acquired 60' plasma tvs (or LCDs ) would be willing to pay to watch in the comfort of their own homes.

I'm sure we'd be better of than offering 2-for-1 tickets, including beer and parking to the "Ice hockey game..."
Another smart marketing tactic is to price tickets on a game-by-game basis. By that I mean one might pay $200 for a Leafs game vs. $15 for a Panthers game.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Another smart marketing tactic is to price tickets on a game-by-game basis. By that I mean one might pay $200 for a Leafs game vs. $15 for a Panthers game.
An excellent idea!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 6:45 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
I would look at 2009 Bomber attendance as an anomaly with Winnipeg fans voting with their feet over mike kelly and his brutish manner. I share season tickets and did not go to a couple games for that very reason. I know many people that did the same. We BOUGHT the tickets but did not attend. Hell we could not even GIVE them away.

Bomber attendance in the last few years has been remarkable despite the fact there has been no Grey Cups for a generation. This in that horrid stadium that does not lend itself to drawing the casual fan like the Goldeyes stadium does.

When you look at historical attendance for the Jets one must marvel simply because that team was almost always an also-ran. I had Jets seasons as well, but NEVER missed a game because I was upset with the team.

One might tag Winnipeggers as fair-weather fans but I dare say it takes some doing to push us over-the-top...
You make a good point that many fans stayed away from Bomber games because of Kooky Kelly and his shame, or I'd say more likely a combination of that and the record (if we were, say, on the top of the East, people probably would've been able to tolerate MK... however, MK's play calling was so amateur and predictable, we never would have been a winner under him, but I digress).

However, remember that Jeff Reinbold was a nice, decent guy, professional with the fans and media, a great supporter of the community, etc,... yet the stands were very empty during his tenure as Head Coach. So, I'd contend that off-field Bullshit Theater isn't nearly as much a factor as is the team's record. In short, I'd imagine the same would be true with an NHL club here again one day.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 8:10 PM
surely you agree with me

the idea for pricing games based on the opposition is a tactic that is used in the english premier league...if you want to see our team play manu, you pay twice as much as you would to see bolton....it totally makes sense.

paying $100 for jets tickets is a myth and a scare tactic by people who dont know the facts.....maybe if you insist on the best seat in the house.....average ticket price in the NHL is $50...and that includes all the $100 corporate seats.....i went to a game in boston a few weeks ago and 19th row on the blue line was $65.

Teams Avg. price 2008-09
1 Anaheim $43.50
2 Atlanta $48.51
3 Boston $61.40
4 Buffalo $36.43
5 Calgary $55.81
6 Carolina $38.38
7 Chicago $52.22
8 Colorado $40.62
9 Columbus $47.76
10 Dallas $37.80
11 Detroit $46.60
12 Edmonton $54.17
13 Florida $52.61
14 Los Angeles $47.20
15 Minnesota $61.28
16 Montreal $64.26
17 Nashville $47.22
18 New Jersey $57.15
19 NY Islanders $48.84
20 NY Rangers $54.96
21 Ottawa $48.82
22 Philadelphia $60.25
23 Phoenix $37.45
24 Pittsburgh $54.45
25 San Jose $43.07
26 St. Louis $29.94
27 Tampa Bay $42.41
28 Toronto $76.15
29 Vancouver $62.05
30 Washington $41.66

the average premium ticket price is $113.00

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/3/24...-on-2009-10-ti

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 8:39 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Historically, Winnipeggers are 'fair-weather fans.' If the team has a lousy record, games probably won't sell out. While there may be a novelty factor for the first few seasons, a few years of being in the bottom of the tough West Division may make going to games a hard sell for the casual fan and many season ticket holders. This was true of the Jets, and is still the case with the Bombers. For example, last season, the Mike Kelly Catastrophe led to 1/3 of the seats unsold for many games - and on beautiful weather days as well. If the Blue is doing well, they sell out (same story with the Riders).

Anyway, the current agreement in the NHL not only has a salary cap/ceiling, but also a floor. Currently, for the 2009/10 season, NHL teams cannot have the combined salaries of their players be less than $40.8-M. I would suspect that if the day comes when we get a team, we would be paying close to the floor to ensure the team is in the black. In other words, we probably wouldn't be much of a competitor and would only just scrape into the playoffs in the odd year. The Coyotes pay near the floor and don't really have star players/goal scorers, and they are usually in the bottom of the barrel (this year being a very odd year for them, as they have more wins than losses).

One possible way to pay near the floor and still field a somewhat competitive team, is to have an extensive scouting program. However, it costs big dollars to do that properly. We'll need to be able to spot the diamonds in the rough and play the draft smart. We'd probably lose our stars after their rookie contract expires though, so as to stay near the salary floor.
what you say is true, but don't forget our team got really lousy when we got moved to the Smyth division and we had no chance against the Oilers but if we had stayed in our time zone and the Norris division we would of been in the top of the division.

Anyway enough of looking back in history its the past and its done with. One of the ways to make a continious competitive team is for the team to start investing in realestate and use the profits derived from it. I know we will need atleast to make an extra 20 million dollars aside from the game revenue. I really believe this team will need to be a corporate entity that invest in buildings condo much like the MLSE (the toronto maple leafs company) that owns a soccer team called the toronto FC in Major league soccer own a broadcasting centre and Maple Leaf Square which houses office space, condos, a hotel and retail. I also think they can become land developers not just in this city but everywhere else. No longer is it good enough to own the arena for your team to make ends meet but you have to go beyond that much like the Maples leafs have and what the Oilers are about to do.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 8:43 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the idea for pricing games based on the opposition is a tactic that is used in the english premier league...if you want to see our team play manu, you pay twice as much as you would to see bolton....it totally makes sense.

paying $100 for jets tickets is a myth and a scare tactic by people who dont know the facts.....maybe if you insist on the best seat in the house.....average ticket price in the NHL is $50...and that includes all the $100 corporate seats.....i went to a game in boston a few weeks ago and 19th row on the blue line was $65.

Teams Avg. price 2008-09
1 Anaheim $43.50
2 Atlanta $48.51
3 Boston $61.40
4 Buffalo $36.43
5 Calgary $55.81
6 Carolina $38.38
7 Chicago $52.22
8 Colorado $40.62
9 Columbus $47.76
10 Dallas $37.80
11 Detroit $46.60
12 Edmonton $54.17
13 Florida $52.61
14 Los Angeles $47.20
15 Minnesota $61.28
16 Montreal $64.26
17 Nashville $47.22
18 New Jersey $57.15
19 NY Islanders $48.84
20 NY Rangers $54.96
21 Ottawa $48.82
22 Philadelphia $60.25
23 Phoenix $37.45
24 Pittsburgh $54.45
25 San Jose $43.07
26 St. Louis $29.94
27 Tampa Bay $42.41
28 Toronto $76.15
29 Vancouver $62.05
30 Washington $41.66

The Ottawa Senators use that kind of sliding scale pricing

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 9:35 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:

Teams Avg. price 2008-09
1 Anaheim $43.50
2 Atlanta $48.51
3 Boston $61.40
4 Buffalo $36.43
5 Calgary $55.81
6 Carolina $38.38
7 Chicago $52.22
8 Colorado $40.62
9 Columbus $47.76
10 Dallas $37.80
11 Detroit $46.60
12 Edmonton $54.17
13 Florida $52.61
14 Los Angeles $47.20
15 Minnesota $61.28
16 Montreal $64.26
17 Nashville $47.22
18 New Jersey $57.15
19 NY Islanders $48.84
20 NY Rangers $54.96
21 Ottawa $48.82
22 Philadelphia $60.25
23 Phoenix $37.45
24 Pittsburgh $54.45
25 San Jose $43.07
26 St. Louis $29.94
27 Tampa Bay $42.41
28 Toronto $76.15
29 Vancouver $62.05
30 Washington $41.66

Those are average seasons ticket pricing.

Expect to pay 15-20% more per ticket for single games, plus taxes and convenience fees.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 9:44 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
i went to a game in boston a few weeks ago and 19th row on the blue line was $65.
[/url]
I call BS.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=43064

Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
maybe 19th row second level... Anyway who knows... Maybe a scalper ticket?
----------Quebec City: 16 + 2 subsidiaries = 18
----------Ottawa: 15 + 1 subsidiary = 16

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan