HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Project update, turned out well.

'Nothing else in this neighborhood like this': Riverwards Group tries something different with new Fishtown condo project

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...rds-group.html

Riverwards Group is set to open a 42-unit mixed-use building at 2636 York St. in Fishtown next spring, adding for-sale condos to a neighborhood becoming saturated with rentals.
This project is really prominent from 95, but there are so many negatives for me. I applaud additional condo units in a mainly rental or rowhouse neighborhood, but this building is right next to Aramingo which is like mad max, walking to fishtown crossing is like deathrace 3000 and the developers cheaped out by making this wood frame construction instead of masonry or steel frame IMO.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 3:56 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Why does PHL always score so poorly? I haven't flown out of PHL in over 10 years, but Newark (EWR) was also ranked near the bottom, and I find EWR (Terminal C, United) to be perfectly fine. Maybe the rest of EWR is crap?

Philadelphia International Airport finishes last in satisfaction study again

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s
Bleh, EWR is horrible. I've heard the recently redeveloped part is nice (I guess that might be Terminal C, but I forget) but I haven't been yet. PHL is fine, especially the food and shopping options. Biggest problems IMO are the terminals (except A West) are a bit too crowded and there's not enough seating options. And outside the airports control, but would be nice to see other international airlines with service here (I think we're down to just British Airways, Aer Lingus, and Lufthansa, which is honestly just sort of depressing), and some more lounge options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Do people really think PHL is bad? I've been flying out of that airport for years, and its solid, Its on the same level as Fort Lauderdale International.
FLL is also terrible lol, I hope PHL continues to stay well above them.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:03 PM

I fundamentally can't get behind (or consider better) any airport where you cannot walk between terminals once you clear security.

That eliminates LAX, JFK, EWR (and I'm sure many others that I am not thinking of off the top of my head). It's especially frustrating if you have membership in a airline/airport lounge like AMEX Centurion and you can't use it because it's in a different terminal than your departing flight.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:18 PM

I fly pretty regularly and PHL is really not that bad. There are certainly nicer and newer airports, but PHL is not near the bottom. In fact, I was just at PHX yesterday and it.... was outdated. No good food options, and literally no tables to eat a meal

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:26 PM

PHL is just fine; not absolutely amazing, but far from terrible. Saying this as someone who's been in pretty much every major airport in the US and several internationally, also.

I can't help but think this kind of survey is influenced by the cadre of Philadelphians who get perverse joy in seeing the city rank last in these kinds of things, much like the "rudest city" survey.

No one is giving much critical thought when they decide to rank something like airports. They're really just thinking, "I hated when I had to sit around for a couple extra hours that one time because my flight was delayed, therefore the entire airport is awful."

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:29 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Philly Is Putting a Standalone Toilet on a Center City Corner. Here's Why

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ogram/3368797/

Quote:
Finding a place to go when you have to go isn't always the easiest thing to do in Philadelphia, especially since the start of the COVID pandemic.

Now, city health and human services leadership is trying to change that by placing so-called "Portland Loo" restrooms in key parts of the city.

"Public restrooms are a great way to improve quality of life and protect public health, and like many U.S. cities Philadelphia needs more," Kathleen Grady, Chief of Staff, Managing Director’s Office - Health and Human Services, said in a statement to NBC10. "We are excited to install a free-standing public restroom in Center City next year, after receiving valuable input from individuals, businesses, and civic groups."

Philadelphia's five-year budget funds six of the public toilets, each in a different neighborhood, as part of a pilot program, according to a Health and Human Services blog post posted on the City's website last month.

"The goal of the public restroom pilot is to provide a permanent option that is more attractive to a broad group of people – including families, tourists, businesses, and underserved individuals," the HHS news release said.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:39 PM

deleted.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:18 PM
Chris

City Councilmember Jamie Gauthier tries to preserve existing affordable housing in University City

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220923.html

West Philadelphia Councilmember Jamie Gauthier has won City Council’s backing to expand the geographic scope of a contested law that seeks to encourage new affordable housing and forestall demolition of existing housing in University City.

Gauthier’s new legislation, which passed City Council on Thursday, seeks to add more affordable housing projects to the original bill’s protections while encouraging more subsidized development.

The current law prohibits the demolition of any building larger than 20,000 square feet within the boundaries of Market and Ludlow and 39th and 40th Streets — the block that holds the UC Townhomes — until March 2023.

Gauthier’s new legislation would prevent demolition permits from being issued to developers unless they have a building permit in hand. “You have to show that you’re actually building something and not demolishing a property for speculative purposes,” she said.

Watching the pushback to IBID’s decision not to renew its affordable housing contract, and to sell its buildings, real estate industry interest groups say that others may be discouraged from using subsidy programs in future.
“The city is trying to encourage affordable housing development, but this lack of predictability does nothing but hurt affordable housing production,” said Mo Rushdy, vice president of the Building Industry Association (BIA). “If I don’t have the predictability that once the deed restriction is over I can do whatever I want with these units, I’m questioning” entering the affordable housing market.

Rushdy says a better way to help residents struggling with housing costs would be to develop homes on the myriad vacant lots in West Philadelphia, making use of proceeds from the tax on new construction that the BIA supported.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:25 PM
Chris

Excellent article about the U City Townhomes and the lunacy at play.

THE WEST PHILLY HOUSING CRISIS THAT WAS UTTERLY AVOIDABLE

https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/u...4wEG1F5KN8otvM

Sums it up well... The UC Townhomes fiasco features a wealthy, easy-to-blame institution; fact-challenged protestors; an elected official who may be in over her head, and a compromise solution everybody seems hell bent on ignoring

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
City Councilmember Jamie Gauthier tries to preserve existing affordable housing in University City

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220923.html

West Philadelphia Councilmember Jamie Gauthier has won City Council’s backing to expand the geographic scope of a contested law that seeks to encourage new affordable housing and forestall demolition of existing housing in University City.

Gauthier’s new legislation, which passed City Council on Thursday, seeks to add more affordable housing projects to the original bill’s protections while encouraging more subsidized development.

The current law prohibits the demolition of any building larger than 20,000 square feet within the boundaries of Market and Ludlow and 39th and 40th Streets — the block that holds the UC Townhomes — until March 2023.

Gauthier’s new legislation would prevent demolition permits from being issued to developers unless they have a building permit in hand. “You have to show that you’re actually building something and not demolishing a property for speculative purposes,” she said.

Watching the pushback to IBID’s decision not to renew its affordable housing contract, and to sell its buildings, real estate industry interest groups say that others may be discouraged from using subsidy programs in future.
“The city is trying to encourage affordable housing development, but this lack of predictability does nothing but hurt affordable housing production,” said Mo Rushdy, vice president of the Building Industry Association (BIA). “If I don’t have the predictability that once the deed restriction is over I can do whatever I want with these units, I’m questioning” entering the affordable housing market.

Rushdy says a better way to help residents struggling with housing costs would be to develop homes on the myriad vacant lots in West Philadelphia, making use of proceeds from the tax on new construction that the BIA supported.
I would have voted for Gauthier had I lived in this district prior to the election. Now, I can't in good faith.

This whole situation is bogus, for reasons I've already described.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Philly Is Putting a Standalone Toilet on a Center City Corner. Here's Why

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...ogram/3368797/

Hooo boy. This is an example of an idea that, on paper, sounds good but 100% depends on execution. They need to be cleaned several times daily and monitored. I have zero trust in this administration to effectively manage this program. I wish we could have nice things like this in society, but leave it to mentally ill homeless people and/or dope fiends to absolutely ruin this. We shall see.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I would have voted for Gauthier had I lived in this district prior to the election. Now, I can't in good faith.

This whole situation is bogus, for reasons I've already described.
It's so frustrating. "Watching the pushback to IBID’s decision not to renew its affordable housing contract, and to sell its buildings, real estate industry interest groups say that others may be discouraged from using subsidy programs in future."

This type of shit really, really pisses me off. They're lighting the town on fire to keep a few warm.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
You mean from Philly. PHL is owned by the City of Philadelphia. Running a major airport is like running a Fortune 500 business. They collect revenue and have operating expenses. So if the City wants to obtain municipal bonds to pay for modernization, including optimal reconfiguration of terminals, they can do it. It is up to their leadership and what the major airlines want to make the airport grow and be more efficient and travel friendly to guests. As others have mentioned, the international terminal and renovated B terminal are nice.
Kinda wish that Tinicum was absorbed into Philly. Would make the airport expansion a bit easier. A west and B are nice, wish the baggage was faster. It's a shamed that American stopped investing in PHL.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 6:24 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Kinda wish that Tinicum was absorbed into Philly. Would make the airport expansion a bit easier. A west and B are nice, wish the baggage was faster. It's a shamed that American stopped investing in PHL.
Makes sense that should be part of Philly County. Why it is part of Bucks County is a head scratcher for me.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Makes sense that should be part of Philly County. Why it is part of Bucks County is a head scratcher for me.
Delaware County***

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:03 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
My bad...confused it with Tinicum Township in Bucks County.

Definitely part of Delaware County on where it is located and adjacent to PHL.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I fundamentally can't get behind (or consider better) any airport where you cannot walk between terminals once you clear security.

That eliminates LAX, JFK, EWR (and I'm sure many others that I am not thinking of off the top of my head). It's especially frustrating if you have membership in a airline/airport lounge like AMEX Centurion and you can't use it because it's in a different terminal than your departing flight.
OMG Boston Logan. Ever had to transfer there from an international flight? You literally have to physically leave the airport after clearing customs, board an MBTA bus to another part of the airport, and go through check in and security all over again with the masses. It's laughable.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:24 PM

I would rather go to PHL than either of the Chicago airports. I say this as someone who has experienced both many times. Midway is a clusterf*ck and O'Hare takes ages to get to or though.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
This project is really prominent from 95, but there are so many negatives for me. I applaud additional condo units in a mainly rental or rowhouse neighborhood, but this building is right next to Aramingo which is like mad max, walking to fishtown crossing is like deathrace 3000 and the developers cheaped out by making this wood frame construction instead of masonry or steel frame IMO.
Aramingo is only going to get better with developments like this.

It also provides a nice screen to the neighborhood (noise etc) from 95.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Interesting. But only on this particular block. Crazy! They need to scrap the rest of her dumb law and expand this amendment citywide.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development