HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 2:47 PM
Show me the blueprints

Tasty brickwork.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 4:10 AM

According to the firm representing the condo sales, Phase 1 of "Archer Center", the 170+ condo unit development in the 3200 block of S Archer Ave, is sold out and they're going to start phase 2 construction soon (or already have).

Pretty ugly buildings (makes sense TBH) but hopefully they fill up some of the ground floor business spaces and I guess it's nice added density to what used to be a scrap yard

https://www.google.com/maps/place/32...!4d-87.6692643

In case anybody wants to know what these units are like inside LOL. The price per square foot if the square footage is even accurate is actually kind of high for the area..
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/32...home/181828323

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
New 3 phase plan from the city to deliver in-fill development in the Invest South/West neighborhoods. Via Sun-Times
New 3 phase plan from the city to deliver in-fill development in the Invest South/West neighborhoods. Via Sun-Times

Quote:
The first strategy is appropriately titled, “Come Home.” The goal is to promote construction of single-family homes, townhouses and smaller, multi-unit buildings on residential blocks just off the reviving commercial corridors. It’ll launch with “a nationwide, Chicago Architecture Contest” aimed at establishing “modern design typologies” to be built by emerging development firms and made available for affordable home buyers.

Quote:
The second strategy is called “Ready Build.” It’ll make “custom concept plans” available for redevelopment of corner lots with ground-level stores and homes above. The cookie-cutter plans will include “conceptual architectural drawings, cost estimates and other pre-development” work to make it easier and less costly for “emerging minority-led development firms” to launch projects that “anchor the corners of key South and West side intersections.”

Unfortunately I just got notice that the city is down zoning the NE corner of Kedzie and 21st to RT-4 as a part of these projects. I assume that means they intend to build residential with no retail surrounded on three sides by warehouses. I own the third lot north of 21st there and have been trying to get the city to sell me, at market rate mind you not for $1, the other two on the corner. But this genius plan has them building townhomes or some crap. Just where you build single family and townhome units: between two train lines on a hard corner surrounded by industrial businesses!

I'm all for mopping up the mess of vacant land in this city, but hack ass urban planning like this is not the way to do it. There should be an apartment building here with a dozen units and retail, not fucking townhomes or SFH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
QFT

at every L stop.

in every neighborhood.

is there any city with a legacy rapid transit system that allows as much suburban-ass crap nextdoor to its train stations as chicago does?
It's unbelievable actually, unfortunately, as I said above, the city loves to talk up grand plans and then deliver the opposite. If they wanted to help they could start with a citywide ban on down zoning within 1/2 mile of the L. Zoning should only be allowed to be increased.

Meanwhile the county is trying to raise the tax bill on my Lawndale property 350% to more than the entire 2021 revenue of the building . They are claiming it's worth 2X what I paid for it earlier this year, but won't recognize that sale because it happened 30 days into 2022 so it can't count towards the 2021 value.

Honestly this city is fucked. I buy a building no one else wants at an intersection that hasn't had a single retail business at it for 50+ years since the race riots. Bring in expanding small businesses including a CrossFit gym that's willing to expand at said intersection. Plow money into bringing the building back up to par and reopening bricked in windows.

And what does the city/county do to help? They send an absurd tax increase that's totally detached from reality that I now need to spend tens of thousands of dollars getting thrown out. And it WILL get thrown out because, once it gets to circuit court, they will take one look at what I paid for the building and flush it down the toilet.

Imagine buying a house for $250k with a $3000/year tax bill and Kagei saying it's actually worth $500k and your new bill is $11,000. It's utterly outrageous and in Lawndale of all places. Unfortunately I think we are about to see a wave of businesses leaving these neighborhoods. This experience has even me considering selling everything and leaving the city completely. I can't imagine what it's like for businesses that are barely getting by and don't have an irrational die hard loyalty to the city. The fact is, if I didn't have a lucky break getting some film revenue this summer, I would be unable to even pay the bill as it's slightly more than the entire income of the building. Again, imagine you rent a building out for $5,000/mo and Fritz tells you that you're new tax bill is $65,000/year.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Last edited by LouisVanDerWright; Dec 2, 2022 at 1:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 3:36 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Unfortunately I just got notice that the city is down zoning the NE corner of Kedzie and 21st to RT-4 as a part of these projects. I assume that means they intend to build residential with no retail surrounded on three sides by warehouses. I own the third lot north of 21st there and have been trying to get the city to sell me, at market rate mind you not for $1, the other two on the corner. But this genius plan has them building townhomes or some crap. Just where you build single family and townhome units: between two train lines on a hard corner surrounded by industrial businesses!

I'm all for mopping up the mess of vacant land in this city, but hack ass urban planning like this is not the way to do it. There should be an apartment building here with a dozen units and retail, not fucking townhomes or SFH.
I agree with you, but I will point out that the New Homes for Chicago program did a lot of good in Pilsen back in the 90s, or East Humboldt Park. It basically wiped out most vacant lots in the core of the neighborhood. The buildings are low density and ugly suburban-looking wood frame houses, but now the streetscapes are filled in and they feel safe to walk down; there are more eyes on the street.

Kedzie is a weird status because it's not really a commercial street; north of the Pink Line it's all residential. I agree they should have left the block around the Pink Line station for a small cluster of mixed use or higher density though...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 4:05 PM

i dont see why the city cant do both affordable housing and TOD on that site. they did exactly that in Logan near the blue line. clearly they recognize the value in doing something in one situation...so why isnt it consistent? it makes zero sense for that parcel to be anything other than medium/high density housing. this should have been a layup for multistory. theres a billion other lots in the neighborhood that can get cheap hardie panel townhomes.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Dec 2, 2022 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 7:04 PM
BANNED

This city has such small town thinking nowadays. Upsets me seeing all the development around transit in cities such as Toronto, DC, New York, Seattle, etc. meanwhile it's pulling teeth to get something more than a 2-3 story near L stations in this city. ugh

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Imagine buying a house for $250k with a $3000/year tax bill and Kagei saying it's actually worth $500k and your new bill is $11,000. It's utterly outrageous and in Lawndale of all places. Unfortunately I think we are about to see a wave of businesses leaving these neighborhoods. This experience has even me considering selling everything and leaving the city completely. I can't imagine what it's like for businesses that are barely getting by and don't have an irrational die hard loyalty to the city. The fact is, if I didn't have a lucky break getting some film revenue this summer, I would be unable to even pay the bill as it's slightly more than the entire income of the building. Again, imagine you rent a building out for $5,000/mo and Fritz tells you that you're new tax bill is $65,000/year.
This is really concerning. How can the tax bill be $65,000? What is the building valued at? I was trying to understand this in another post. Based on this example, clearly the tax structure for retail is problematic if the tax is higher than market rent. No wonder retail spaces are sitting empty.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
This city has such small town thinking nowadays. Upsets me seeing all the development around transit in cities such as Toronto, DC, New York, Seattle, etc. meanwhile it's pulling teeth to get something more than a 2-3 story near L stations in this city. ugh
You are having bigfoot-hunter levels of success describing the situations you see around you. It's making you unhappy and it's boring the rest of us. If you're having a feeling, maybe just write it into a Word document?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Housing demand probably has something to do with that though.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 11:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Housing demand probably has something to do with that though.
True, but even in the "trendy" neighborhoods, the land use around L stations leave lots to be desired.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 11:46 PM

Prop Tax

All of the data used to value an individual property is available on the assessor’s website. So you need to see if the data points they used are incorrect or not. I do not believe that revenue collected by a specific property is one of those data points… because how could it be? Real estate people don’t tend to like to share their tax returns

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 1:56 AM

I get that building revenue isn't going to be a factor in the current system of retail property taxes, but clearly the system is problematic if the property taxes rival the total rent of the retail space. There was a time when retail had no choice but to be local, and spaces with access to a dense population meant that high premiums (combo of rent + taxes) could easily be extracted from retail tenants, but those days are gone. Today retail doesn't need to follow masses of people in a dense environment, but people will still live in dense environments in exchange for interesting and walkable retail. The city should make it as easy as possible to fill retail space and not chase them away. Otherwise why live in the city?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 2:16 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
This city vs city absurdity has to stop! Please, please stop bitching and moaning about everything in Chicago! I understand your viewpoint to a point, but your comments are more annoying than the sound of nails on a damned chalkboard!

Enough!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i dont see why the city cant do both affordable housing and TOD on that site. they did exactly that in Logan near the blue line. clearly they recognize the value in doing something in one situation...so why isnt it consistent? it makes zero sense for that parcel to be anything other than medium/high density housing. this should have been a layup for multistory. theres a billion other lots in the neighborhood that can get cheap hardie panel townhomes.
I literally offered to buy side lots on Troy or Spaulding or something and trade them to the city. I offered to buy the lots outright at market value. I own the third lot north, but not the two on the corner. I would love to develop that corner as a small scale TOD.

But no dice, city is going to build some crap that will ruin the corner forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
This is really concerning. How can the tax bill be $65,000? What is the building valued at? I was trying to understand this in another post. Based on this example, clearly the tax structure for retail is problematic if the tax is higher than market rent. No wonder retail spaces are sitting empty.
Lol that's not even the bill, I used smaller numbers trying to keep some semblance of privacy. But whatever, I've been super open with this forum for years. Ready for this?

I paid $1,147,500 for the property (this is a matter of public record anyhow). It brought in $105,000 in rent in 2021. The tax bill for 2020 was $31,000.

Fritz Kagei says it's worth $2.4 million. My new tax bill is... Drumroll please...

$110,000

Again, he's claiming it's worth more than twice what I actually paid for it at the beginning of Feb 2022. They will not recognize that fact because the bill is for 2021 and apparently property values dropped 50% between 2021 and 2022 (obviously not).

It's utterly absurd.

And this is why his nonsense about "the Board of Review changed all my assessments so residential owners would take the burden" line is bullshit.

What actually happened is he hired a bunch of incompetent clowns to gin up absurd values like this to slap commerical owners with. When it came time for people to, you know, review his homework on these values, they started throwing them out en masse. Obviously commercial owners challenged their taxes at a much much higher rate than homeowners. So the mildly insane increases he put on homeowners ended up being higher than the now appealed and tossed utterly absurd values he pulled out of his ass for commercial owners.

And the numbers will only get worse because the Board of Review punted on literally every single case they could because they were totally swamped by Kagei's tidal wave of made up garbage. So cases like mine actually got tossed to PTAB/Circuit Court because they could come up with an excuse like "sorry your sale didn't happen until 2022" to get it off their table so tax bills could go out.

So that 8% higher burden than commercial that Kagei blasted residential owners with will actually go significantly higher as cases like mine are tossed. The thing is assessments aren't just a "we get to decide the value of the property" thing. If you assign a value, you must be able to defend it. When you shit out a bunch of nonsense based on literally nothing, don't be surprised when people with very expensive attorneys get your turds flushed down the toilet.

So the next step is for me to sue Cook County. I may prevail in front of the administrative law judge at the Property Tax Appeals Board (PTAB), but in all likelihood I'll have to sue them in real court, in Division 50 of the Circuit Court of Cook County. This will likely take about two years and I absolutely will win and get this bill halved at the very minimum because courts don't care about your political agenda to persecute commercial landlords, they care about findings of fact. The fact is value is determined by what someone is willing to pay on the open market and I paid less than 50% what Kagei says it's worth. That's a fact and no amount of crains interviews blaming the Board of Review for your embarrassing level of incompetence will change that.

Oh and does anyone here know what other areas of law Division 50 of Cook County Circuit Court handles???

- adoption
- marriage of minors
- annexation and deannexation of land to a tax body
- elections
- inheritance taxes
- mental health proceedings
- real estate taxes
- municipal organizations
- orders of protection filed in conjunction with a mental health proceeding

You can't make this shit up. This clown Kagei literally just jammed the court division responsible for family law and mental health with a whole pile of utter bullshit that is going to be tossed as soon as it can be processed. I'm literally going to be competing with orphans and people in mental crisis for the attention of these judges. Like what? Are you fucking kidding me? This is how you are going to "enact reform"?

Oh and my attorneys will take 30% of what they save me as their fee after they win. So when that bill goes from $110k, a level it should never have been anywhere near, back to $40k or $50k, my attorneys will walk off with $20-25k in fees. Money literally stolen from me by Kagei and converted to pure waste. Pure waste being clogging up adoption court with tax appeals that don't need to be happening if you just recognized actual sales prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
All of the data used to value an individual property is available on the assessor’s website. So you need to see if the data points they used are incorrect or not. I do not believe that revenue collected by a specific property is one of those data points… because how could it be? Real estate people don’t tend to like to share their tax returns
Nope, Kagei is trying hard to claw this data from landlords. You are now required to submit your rent roll and tax returns to Kagei. Landlords have been responding to this with a variety of tricks such as creating management companies that sign a master lease of the whole building for like $1 a month and then basically funnel the revenues through that shell company so Kagei can't see it. The real estate holding company reports a massive loss to Kagei and then that loss is passed through to the management company. Again, more pure waste.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 10:25 PM

One of the first permits issued for several JGMA designed 3-flats in Homan Square. Certainly these are the most, let's say, unique 3-flats I've seen

https://chicagoyimby.com/2022/12/per...velopment.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 10:06 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

noticed today that scaffolding is up at the NE corner of Randolph and Michigan.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
noticed today that scaffolding is up at the NE corner of Randolph and Michigan.

Pretty upsetting a high rise isn’t going up there.. what a waste of prime real estate.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 4:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
One of the first permits issued for several JGMA designed 3-flats in Homan Square. Certainly these are the most, let's say, unique 3-flats I've seen
how do two story buildings constitute "3-flats"?

is the 3rd flat entirely subterannean?

in any event, not a fan. the scale is all wrong.

why not just build regular old 3-flats like this city has been doing for the past 150 years?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 4:15 PM

... because it's JGMA?

That's just an uneducated guess. That firm has a very recognizable style and I think they would want to put some sort of design "stamp" onto a project so as to not blend in with every other firm in Chicago that does similar work.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 4:20 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
how do two story buildings constitute "3-flats"?

is the 3rd flat entirely subterannean?

in any event, not a fan. the scale is all wrong.

why not just build regular old 3-flats like this city has been doing for the past 150 years?
Because a traditional 3-flat has zero accessible units. You can slide it down a 1/2 story to create one accessible unit on the ground floor... the other two units are not accessible unless you build an elevator, but the cost of that won't pencil.

This is permanent supportive housing, so serving the needs of people with disabilities is the whole reason for being. This design is provide one fully accessible unit (simplex unit in front) and two visitable units (duplex in middle and rear).

Typically supportive housing is provided in larger elevator buildings, but this is a different scattered site approach. For this area of North Lawndale I'm in favor of anything that fills in the vacant lots... Also only the first rendering is a 3-flat. The second rendering is a pair of 6-flats.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development