HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 9:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Smile NEW YORK | 23-10 Queens Plaza South | 390 FT | 24 FLOORS

Crossed-Braced Commercial Topper May Be Coming to Queens Plaza

Quote:
The larger lot next door, 23-10 Queens Plaza South, continues to hold a 5-story industrial loft building, but a newly-surfaced rendering shows larger plans may be in store.

Dynamic's website says the rendered office block is designed by SLCE, who were also the architects behind 1 QPS Tower next door. The description says the tower would rise 24 stories and encompass 400,000 square feet of office space — making it one of the largest blocks of commercial space in the neighborhood.

Though new development in LIC's Queens Plaza district has been overwhelmingly residential, the successful lease-ups of Tishman Speyer's Two Gotham Center and The JACX may reassure developers that Long Island City is prime for more commercial back-office space.

The site overlooks the elevated Queensboro Plaza subway station which provides supreme access to Manhattan via the 7, N, and W lines. Like its big rental sister, future occupants would enjoy terrific views of the '59th Street Bridge' and Midtown skyline.
=================
City Realty

Last edited by chris08876; Feb 23, 2023 at 7:31 PM. Reason: Title update

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 9:41 PM

Whoa this is cool.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 10:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

INCREDIBLE that this remarkably unremarkable vintage building will be saved and incorporated as an historic base for a new tower but 314 and 316 Fifth Avenue gets reduced to dust. Outrageous.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 6:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah its almost comical in nature. Granted the incorporation doesn't look so bad, as seen in the rendering with the renovation of the current property, but it is lipstick on a pig.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 11:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just a follow up via the rendering in the OP...

Via ny yimby:

Quote:
According to architect James Davidson from SLCE, “This image does not remotely comply with present or future massing constraints available for this site and was meant merely for internal circulation, not for public view. The 1QPS full block site is built full under today’s zoning regulations and cannot support such a structure.”

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 1:43 AM
West End & Riverside

Dream big or go home! Nice to see them having a little fun internally.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 2:38 PM

This is an example of how underzoned many areas NYC is. A three story warehouse already fully maxes out the site's FAR. Meanwhile, the site has multiple subway lines and is one stop from Manhattan.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 8:32 PM

Plan To Top LIC Factory With Office Tower Faces Board's Scrutiny

The plan to put a tower atop the old Eagle Electric building continue to evolve. The latest is a stacked box design with various outdoor spaces for the public and tenants. The community board for the area has a pretty funny stance in this one as they are demanding "a binding guarantee" to include community amenities but are in no position to follow through on this demand. Their recommendation is non-binding. At any rate, this looks promising and will hopefully further densify and diversify the developments around Queens Plaza.

https://patch.com/new-york/astoria-l...oards-scrutiny

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 9:59 PM
Show me the blueprints

Not sure why they are going out of their way to save that unremarkable Eagle building. Take it down, start over. I think it would look great to have a rounded corner on that 23rd/QP South intersection...would also play off and highlight the curve of the Flushing Line. Instant photo gold.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Dec 2, 2022 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Not sure why they are going out of their way to save that unremarkable Eagle building. Take it down, start over. I think it would look great to have a rounded corner on that 23rd/QP South intersection...would also play off and highlight the curve of the Flushing Line. Instant photo gold.
After what happened to 5Pointz, I am a fan of adaptive reuse. There aren't many of those old warehouses left.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2022, 11:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

Honest question... Are we trying to remember Long Island City as a moribund neighborhood of gritty warehouses?... Was it better back then? Is the old chipping cracking Eagle Electric building as a desirable preservation goal as brick DUMBO buildings from the 1890's or the Sunshine Bakery Building? I honestly dont think so. The best thing about it was the old sign, the rest of it boring and charmless.

____

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Honest question... Are we trying to remember Long Island City as a moribund neighborhood of gritty warehouses?... Was it better back then?
No

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Honest question... Are we trying to remember Long Island City as a moribund neighborhood of gritty warehouses?... Was it better back then? Is the old chipping cracking Eagle Electric building as a desirable preservation goal as brick DUMBO buildings from the 1890's or the Sunshine Bakery Building? I honestly dont think so. The best thing about it was the old sign, the rest of it boring and charmless.

____
I don't see what's wrong with remembering what the neighborhood used to be, especially as the building stock is relatively easy to convert to other uses. More than one warehouse has gone through a conversion. I think that's a good thing and better than bulldozing everything that used to be here just to put up a blue box without a sense of place or history.

Let's put it another way: Do you like what's happening with the Domino Sugar Plant?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 4:09 AM
Show me the blueprints

The Domino Sugar Plant is awesome. IMO there's nothing significant or special about the Eagle building at all other than it used to be a recognizable feature of LIC and the foot of the Queensboro Bridge. I just dont think if it was taken down and replaced with a beautiful building people would be lamenting the loss of some mundane old concrete warehouse and I don't think the neighborhood, which is already unrecognizable from just ten years ago, would be any more removed from its industrial past just because it made way for a much better usage of that site.

But hey, opinions vary, and you are entitled to yours.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 2:55 PM

Quote:
The Domino Sugar Plant is awesome. IMO there's nothing significant or special about the Eagle building at all other than it used to be a recognizable feature of LIC and the foot of the Queensboro Bridge. I just dont think if it was taken down and replaced with a beautiful building people would be lamenting the loss of some mundane old concrete warehouse and I don't think the neighborhood, which is already unrecognizable from just ten years ago, would be any more removed from its industrial past just because it made way for a much better usage of that site.

But hey, opinions vary, and you are entitled to yours.
The 4+ story warehouses in LIC are cool, very big, gotham. Not noteworthy at all but they're easy enough to reuse because they are so simple. And it's also not like we've gotten countless ground up new construction in the last 5 years in LIC, most of it unremarkable. This is a good win win reuse on this project. The eagle lofts also did a good job on their adaptive reuse.

To an earlier point you made- there is something a little unjust that this kind of stuff is saved and real quality architecture in the city is knocked down instead of getting this treatment. Yet it is precisely because these buildings are simple and solid and dumb that they make for projects that pencil out. The wonderful buildings in the city we should be reusing are much more expensive to readapt.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 4:58 PM
BANNED

This proposal looks great.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 1:43 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i happen to love those enormous warehouses --- thats what made lic a unique area. i mean those were some epic open floor plates. i'm glad this is being redeveloped so cleverly and at expense. it's well worth the efforts. there are plenty of glass boxes around now and yet to go around in the future, but the classic warehouses are finite. besides, there really isn't much left around there that isn't spoken for.

this one is really a beaut and much better than the new build around it.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 7:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Leasing has begun for this. Looking at 400k of Class A space.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 1:14 PM

This tower is now being called Opus Point. It received City Council approval in May and construction is expected to get underway in the next 8-12 months.

I guess every tower at Queensboro Plaza has to have a 4-letter name these days. First it was Sven, then Nova, and now Opus. The marketing research behind this must be strong. I don't understand the naming strategy.

https://commercialobserver.com/2023/...erings/#slide0

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 2:25 PM
Show me the blueprints

I would have preferred a ground up new building, especially one that incorporated a round corner to play off the elevated train curve into QBP, because I don't think the old Eagle factory is anything special at all aesthetically and it's a pretty big stretch to spend the likely extra cost to build over it than to just remove it. All that said though, if the decision to retain the old factory building is made I find it disappointing, but not entirely surprising, they're making zero effort to play off its' history as the Eagle Electric building. Aside from it's 'OPUS' signage in more or less the same location as the historic rooftop billboard, the branding has absolutely nothing to do with the heritage of the building. Opus? How about "The Eagle"? "Current"? "Amp LIC"? Watt Tower? Anything fun and homage making to the site. The lack of creativity is depressing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals