HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeySparky View Post
Looks like the architect has an updated, and much better looking, rendering than what Urbanize posted for this site https://humphreys.com/project/eden-14th-and-hill/

Edit: They also list it as "Under Construction". Nice job spotting this one.
Thanks for the link. The affordable component has also changed. Instead of 21 affordable units, they will have 12 very low income units and 47 moderate income units. Not sure how that fits into TOC or even if it does.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Looks nice! Too bad they couldn't complete the park space portion yet. Apparently they won't break ground on that until 2023.
The bridge only works in symbiosis with the park. This is why I’m a bit hesitant to give a first impression of the bridge. Right now it’s just concrete from a distance or the view from a car window. But the perception of the bridge will be different with people touching it, playing underneath it, interacting with it, with trees surrounding it. Right now it’s the Getty without the gardens. If Hargreaves Jones can bring their landscape renderings to life, it’s not extreme to say this could becoming one of the most important public spaces in the city, almost like a mini High-line. LA has a habit of skimping on parks, like an afterthought of the architecture.
Right now, there’s $30M given to the first phase. But $30M seems like only enough for clearing out dirt.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 9:36 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeySparky View Post
Looks like the architect has an updated, and much better looking, rendering than what Urbanize posted for this site https://humphreys.com/project/eden-14th-and-hill/

Edit: They also list it as "Under Construction". Nice job spotting this one.
Still cheap-looking IMO. We need mid-rises similar to the infill you see in DC and Boston, with occasional stand-outs like Slate in Portland. That’ll create a more beautiful cityscape and create more of a sense of place.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Still cheap-looking IMO. We need mid-rises similar to the infill you see in DC and Boston, with occasional stand-outs like Slate in Portland. That’ll create a more beautiful cityscape and create more of a sense of place.
It’ll look fine. No one will walk or drive by thinking that looks cheap. Lol And as far as DC, to each it’s own. DC doesn’t move me at all.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 11:21 PM

I'm from DC and they have nice infill in general. The problem with DC it is sterile, and large swaths of downtown are boring to walk around.
Walkable, but sterile. Its like the same chains and corporate shit on every block. I don't want LA to become that.

South Park/south Broadwaycould be more interesting once these parking lots are developed.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2022, 11:57 PM

Cranes over Koreatown and downtown:

source

Last edited by craigs; Jun 26, 2022 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 4:04 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Great shot! Love the growing skyline

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 6:18 AM

Man, I just love how thin the WG looks from this angle. Are there any proposed skyscrapers with a spire? Would like to see more to accompany WG.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I'm from DC and they have nice infill in general. The problem with DC it is sterile, and large swaths of downtown are boring to walk around.
Walkable, but sterile. Its like the same chains and corporate shit on every block. I don't want LA to become that.

South Park/south Broadwaycould be more interesting once these parking lots are developed.
I totally agree with you.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 12:40 PM

Nice pic…I don’t recall seeing that angle at night.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2022, 11:51 PM

Agreed--it's a new angle to me as well, and both Wilshire Grand and the Beaudry really look great in it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 4:03 PM

^ From this vid:

https://youtu.be/ZbhNUA8FWKU

too bad...the tenant is having to move out of the onni tower's penthouse on Hill St. A business like his is a version of other businesses throughout the economy...always wheeling & dealing. He's planning to relocate to west LA, which has been duplicated by hundreds of other businesses through the decades....which is why dtla has had an oversupply of office space since the 1980s while other hoods have managed to fill up.

He sells watches, while other companies like the owners of Oceanwide or other projs in dtla deal with real estate....wheelers & dealers.

He ends by visiting jewelry businesses on broadway. Which makes me think of this vid....this guy implies areas like Broadway in dt are a 'ghost town' because of protest marches...

https://youtu.be/j1TYHiXy7j0

Broadway was a busy street over 70 yrs ago, back when ppl with money would shop there...the loss of that is very disappointing. Those ppl then abandoned it & left the area to become a retail district for mainly modest income ppl. But even much of that group went elsewhere & today's remaining swapmeets have to scamble even harder. Too many absentee landlords...like the owner from Australia....or even slumlords also don't help such sections of dt. All wheelers & dealers.

I don't know how to energize the street again...small improvements like new housing are helping, but broadway is still off most ppl's radar. In comparison, certain streets in major cities of the world are starting to boom again in 2022, as they have for the past 70 yrs. Even before Covid in 2020, dtla has needed to raise the ante, as other cities are doing.

Beyond that, I can tell the Grand central mkt saw some of its business decline after publicity about a shooting & murder outside it ocurred several wks ago. The grafitti on the upper levels of some renovated bldgs doesn't help. Also: look at the sspers who said they've posted about their no longer using the MTA because of bad experiences on the subway or trains. It doesn't take much to spook or turn off ppl. But everyone is wheeling & dealing.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 4:13 PM

Stop believing everything on YouTube. This was all marketing for his business. People in the know, knew that they never signed a lease there. The office rate in DTLA is actually doing better than some of the areas (hoods as you call it). I guess there isn’t a YouTube clip of those facts.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 4:21 PM

Does anyone know what developer or entity has control of the 333 S. Figueroa Street site?

The previous proposal is dead because of an FBI bust but the site still has potential for LA's tallest.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
People in the know, knew that they never signed a lease there.
Based on his telling of what's going on, his ending the lease is going to cost him big money....but who knows what really goes on the backrooms of businesses, corporations?

If he ends up near Rodeo drive & still needs to drop by the jewelry district in dt on occasion, that's another reminder the subway down wilshire is very important....but it has to be kept clean & safe.

The watch dealer a few months ago got hit by a home invasion burglary at a place he was staying at in the hollywood hills....I doubt his type will ever really use transit in LA, so tourists or day trippers in dtla need safe, clean transit.

As for smaller projs like the apt bldg planned for 14th & Hill, they're important for adding curbside appeal to more of dtla. I used to work in southern dt...now known as south pk...back when that section of dt...of LA....didn't exactly help the image of the city. Although I realize the arts district further north is rising out of dt's rundown industrial east, most ppl tend to favor areas that are somewhat attractive. A lot of ppl have mixed reactions about any city that looks way too gritty or shabby.

All improvements around south pk will give a boost to larger projs like these...

Video Link

i'll add an ssp type comment: I prefer that dtla not end up looking like the southern branch of Vancouver...but that's way down my list of complaints or priorities.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Man, I just love how thin the WG looks from this angle. Are there any proposed skyscrapers with a spire? Would like to see more to accompany WG.
Or at the very least, a crown that works around the stupid helipad requirement.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Or at the very least, a crown that works around the stupid helipad requirement.
What helipad requirement? Pretty sure they got rid of that.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
What helipad requirement? Pretty sure they got rid of that.
Don’t quote me on this, but I’m almost positive that they only partially got rid of it. Wasn't it remarked by someone that Wilshire Grand was required to have that “tactical” helipad on top of the crown? In other words, yeah maybe not a full-fledged traditional helipad is required, but isn’t it still required for LAFD to be able to land a helicopter on these new buildings?

I sure hope someone proves me wrong on that.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 7:39 PM

Lightbulb Fix it Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post

Broadway was a busy street over 70 yrs ago, back when ppl with money would shop there...the loss of that is very disappointing. Those ppl then abandoned it & left the area to become a retail district for mainly modest income ppl. But even much of that group went elsewhere & today's remaining swapmeets have to scamble even harder. Too many absentee landlords...like the owner from Australia....or even slumlords also don't help such sections of dt. All wheelers & dealers.

I don't know how to energize the street again...small improvements like new housing are helping, but broadway is still off most ppl's radar. In comparison, certain streets in major cities of the world are starting to boom again in 2022, as they have for the past 70 yrs. Even before Covid in 2020, dtla has needed to raise the ante, as other cities are doing.

Beyond that, I can tell the Grand central mkt saw some of its business decline after publicity about a shooting & murder outside it ocurred several wks ago. The grafitti on the upper levels of some renovated bldgs doesn't help. Also: look at the sspers who said they've posted about their no longer using the MTA because of bad experiences on the subway or trains. It doesn't take much to spook or turn off ppl. But everyone is wheeling & dealing.

We're all well-versed on the rise and fall of downtown.

We're all well-versed on Broadway.

We're all well-versed on absentee owners and slumlords.

We're all well-versed on the exodus to the west side.

We're all well-versed on what needs to happen/is happening downtown to fix the problem.

We're all very very very aware of what other places around the world are doing.

Now that you know we are all on the same page and knowledgeable of these topics and some people actually more knowledgeable than others, instead, let's talk about what are your thoughts on actual downtown developments/improvements? any thoughts on literally anything else? any project you hope to see break ground soon?

Any info or input on anything other than a dude who's clearly looking for attention on YouTube in a penthouse he couldn't afford to begin with, selling watches in a time when if it's not a smart watch, not many people are buying. Can't blame downtown for his own bad business decision.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2022, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Don’t quote me on this, but I’m almost positive that they only partially got rid of it. Wasn't it remarked by someone that Wilshire Grand was required to have that “tactical” helipad on top of the crown? In other words, yeah maybe not a full-fledged traditional helipad is required, but isn’t it still required for LAFD to be able to land a helicopter on these new buildings?

I sure hope someone proves me wrong on that.
From my understanding its gone, but the requirements to get rid of it would mean the building must be designed with a massive core or structural elements for earthquakes/fire hazards that would raise the price of overall construction..... or in other words, it's cheaper to have a helipad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations