HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:03 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
You’ll find the lions share of Polish and Eastern European businesses in Chicago on the NW Side and NW suburbs.
There strangely does seem to be a small Balkan community in Hyde Park as well (you can find Serbian and Croatian stuff in stores).

There are a ton of Romanians in Chicago, but I don't know too much about the community, other than that I hear Romanian on the street fairly regularly and there are multiple Romanian Orthodox churches (but I'm a heathen...). Based on where stores/restaurants/churches are located, I'd guess there's some nexus in Portage Park or thereabouts. Long long ago there used to be direct TAROM flights from Bucureşti to Chicago, although I think that stopped when TAROM joined SkyTeam. It looks like there was some discussion of reinstating flights? https://simpleflying.com/tarom-romania-united-states/. That would make it very convenient for me to visit my Grandpa...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:05 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

for some reason it is fucking snowing today and all i want is a bowl of real borscht and real-ass beef stroganoff. i didnt know what i was missing until one day i walked into a lunch buffet at a russian restaurant in suburban st louis.

the weak ass american beef stroganoff aint shit.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:11 PM

i want some real ass eastern european food pics

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:20 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i want some real ass eastern european food pics

Something I've never dared to eat, but traditional for Christmas: Piftie (meat in aspic):

(from https://line.17qq.com/articles/sawsaecahx.html)

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:21 PM

In Toronto the largest, most established Slavic communities are Poles and Ukrainians. A generation ago, they were concentrated in the High Park area and in the suburb of Etobicoke. The Ukrainian community is still concentrated there, while in the 1990s (the last wave of Polish immigration) the center of the Polish community shifted further westward to Mississauga.

There was also immigration from the former Yugoslavia in the 90s, the Serbian community is also concentrated in Etobicoke.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Something I've never dared to eat, but traditional for Christmas: Piftie (meat in aspic):

(from https://line.17qq.com/articles/sawsaecahx.html)
i actually do enjoy a slice of head cheese on white bread which is related i guess, washed down with a nice central
european pilsener

my mom is a big braunschweiger fan and i just think its possibly doo doo

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:33 PM

media.tenor.com

ćevapi tyme

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:35 PM

Believe it or not, resource communities in Northern ON had a large Eastern European presence at one time. It was because of the mining opportunities back in the day. Towns like Timmins has/had Polish, Ukrainian, and Croatian halls along with (Non Eastern European)Italian and Finnish community centres..Think of the surnames of some of the NHL greats like Pete and Frank Mahovolich, along with Bill Barilko. Some of these resource towns were fairly multicultural for being so small and isolated.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:40 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post

media.tenor.com

ćevapi tyme
Fuck that shit, mititei are where it's at:

(me in the background)

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:52 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Utica NY had/ has a large Polish population so if your last name didn't end with a vowel (Italian) it probably ended up with a 'ski' or 'itz' and now the city has a large % of Bosnians. Almost 10% of Utica are Bosnian.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Utica NY had/ has a large Polish population so if your last name didn't end with a vowel (Italian) it probably ended up with a 'ski' or 'itz' and now the city has a large % of Bosnians. Almost 10% of Utica are Bosnian.

media1.tenor.com

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 10:55 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Sounds like Utica should change its name to Utic!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:03 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
I haven't been in a million years, but I remember seeing a lot of Polish names on shops (and churches) on the rougher side of Buffalo.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:02 AM
The New Republic

The Canadian Prairie provinces have high concentrations of Ukrainians. Edmonton even has the nickname 'Edmonchuk'.

% Ukrainian, 2016 Census

Manitoba: 14.5%
Saskatchewan: 13.4%
Alberta: 9.5%

Vegreville Pysanka: Vegreville, Alberta

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_Canadians
https://www.travelalberta.com/us/lis...-pysanka-5217/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:38 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I haven't been in a million years, but I remember seeing a lot of Polish names on shops (and churches) on the rougher side of Buffalo.
Yeah. Lots of Polish there too. Like Utica, most of the polish people have moved elsewhere around town but all the cultural staples still remain; churches, food, stores.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:48 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Maybe a better question is: Are there any rust-belt cities that didn't get a boatload of polish immigration?

I can't think of any.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:48 AM

Quote:
And the Buffalo suburb of Cheektowaga is about 40% Polish American.

Dyngus Day is a big deal in Buffalo.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:22 AM

Quote:
San Francisco has a legacy Russian enclave in the Richmond District, but I've read that the Sacramento area has a much larger and more recent Russian/Ukrainian diaspora.
Not sure how “legacy” it is. I encounter Russian-speaking folks around town—especially on Muni—surprisingly often suggesting there’s still some Russian immigration.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:51 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Not sure how “legacy” it is. I encounter Russian-speaking folks around town—especially on Muni—surprisingly often suggesting there’s still some Russian immigration.
When I lived in the Richmond District I had a Russian-American doctor. I was the only non-Russian speaker I ever saw in that whole suite. Local emigres would get all dressed up to the nines when they came to their appointments--one older lady wore a fur coat, which I had never before seen in SF. Anyway, the waiting room featured both of Northern California's Russian diaspora newspapers, which I found fascinating. That said, the last time I saw population figures, which I cannot currently confirm, Sacramento's Russian community was twice the size of San Francisco's.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:00 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
When I lived in the Richmond District I had a Russian-American doctor. I was the only non-Russian speaker I ever saw in that whole suite. Local emigres would get all dressed up to the nines when they came to their appointments--one older lady wore a fur coat, which I had never before seen in SF. Anyway, the waiting room featured both of Northern California's Russian diaspora newspapers, which I found fascinating. That said, the last time I saw population figures, which I cannot currently confirm, Sacramento's Russian community was twice the size of San Francisco's.
Sacramento indeed does have a large Eastern European community. It's where my parents drive to (from Reno) to buy goods.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions