HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 2:25 AM
Future God

Wow, you are.... thorough! Well done!

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; May 15, 2024 at 3:50 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Wow, you are.... thorough! Well done!
Thank you very much BnaBreaker for viewing! You ever visited Jackson? If not come on down and visit us…

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 5:44 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteking View Post
Thank you very much BnaBreaker for viewing! You ever visited Jackson? If not come on down and visit us…
Not for a very long time. Went down there with my parents once when I was about fifteen to scope out the area because there was a chance we were moving down there for a potential job opportunity my dad had, but ultimately we went elsewhere. Spent most of our time in Ridgeland as I recall, but also remember going to a restaurant downtown and checking out some mall on the southwest side of the expressway loop. I liked the laid back energy the city had, but truthfully don't remember much about it as it was more than twenty years ago now. Yikes! If I ever find myself passing through I'll let you know! Cheers!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Not for a very long time. Went down there with my parents once when I was about fifteen to scope out the area because there was a chance we were moving down there for a potential job opportunity my dad had, but ultimately we went elsewhere. Spent most of our time in Ridgeland as I recall, but also remember going to a restaurant downtown and checking out some mall on the southwest side of the expressway loop. I liked the laid back energy the city had, but truthfully don't remember much about it as it was more than twenty years ago now. Yikes! If I ever find myself passing through I'll let you know! Cheers!
Oh ok that’s wassup. In the 2000’s you’re around my age. I’m glad you enjoyed our city and you can most definitely hit me up and I’ll show you around.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:00 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteking View Post
Oh ok that’s wassup. In the 2000’s you’re around my age. I’m glad you enjoyed our city and you can most definitely hit me up and I’ll show you around.
Sounds good!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 9:21 PM

Jackson celebrates Economic Development Week: A glimpse into the future of the Capital City

Christopher G. Pike, executive director, JRA and Yolanda R. Owens, FUSE Executive Fellow pose for photo after the bus tour at Union Station. PHOTO BY EDELIA CARTHAN PhD
Quote:
The City of Jackson, along with local businesses and educational leaders, hosted its annual Economic Development Week from May 6 to May 10, 2024. A series of events across the week, including educational workshops, networking opportunities and insightful tours, offered participants a deep dive into the economic potential of downtown Jackson.
The week kicked off with an official proclamation and a Kick-off Breakfast at the Hinds County Economic Development Authority office Monday, celebrating regional community growth efforts. The festivities continued with a “lunch and learn” session at the Capitol Club Tuesday, where professionals, students and local business owners gathered to learn about the fundamentals of economic development.
A networking mixer was held at Cathead Distillery Wednesday evening, providing a lively ambiance for professionals to share ideas and inspiration. However, the highlight of the week was the bus tour Thursday, which began at 9 a.m. from Union Station. Christopher G. Pike, executive director of the JRA, initiated the tour, which included stops at significant landmarks and proposed development sites in downtown Jackson.
The tour’s route included significant landmarks and development sites, such as a drive-by of the Atmos Building. Attendees learned about the property’s history and acquisition, with insights provided by the JRA team. The tour also stopped at Jackson State University to discuss proposed developments on campus, followed by a look at the plans for the Convention Center and Planetarium.
A special part of the tour was dedicated to the Farish Street Historic District. Participants disembarked at 202 N. Farish Street, walked the 200 block, where Dominika Parry discussed the green space initiative, supported by insights from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History (MDAH) and historical insights from local experts.
The tour concluded at Union Station around 11:45 p.m., where participants were treated to a boxed lunch and a mini charette hosted by Woolpert to discuss the day’s findings and future developmental prospects. Citizens actively participated and provided their feedback on the city’s developments.
The week concluded Friday with an open house at Visit Jackson, where residents explored behind-the-scenes efforts to boost tourism and attract visitors to the community.
Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba remarked, “We remain committed to ensuring our residents and business owners are not only prepared to succeed in the modern economic climate but are also given the opportunities they deserve. Since their success is our success, we are excited about this year’s Economic Development Week and I commend the organizers and partner agencies for making this happen.”
Pike emphasized the inclusive nature of these efforts.
“We just want to encourage the citizens to be plugged in…what the future of Jackson could be. This is a community-driven process.”
This sentiment highlighted the week’s overarching goal: to engage the community in shaping the vibrant future of Jackson through a collective vision and diverse initiatives.
As Economic Development Week in Jackson drew to a close, the energy and optimism were palpable among all who attended. The variety of events, from the transformative bus tour to engaging workshops and networking sessions, not only showcased the city’s potential but also fostered a spirit of collaboration and community input. As Jackson looks to the future, the insights and feedback gathered throughout the week will undoubtedly play a crucial role in shaping a vibrant and prosperous city. With the community’s continued involvement and the dedication of local leaders, Jackson is set on a path of dynamic growth and exciting opportunities.
https://themississippilink.com/news/...-capital-city/
Reeves again blocks funds for LeFleur’s Bluff project in Jackson

The Mississippi Science Fest is a day-long celebration hosted by the LeFleur Museum District in Jackson Credit: Mississippi Science Fest

Quote:
For the third consecutive year legislative efforts to direct state money to renovate LeFleur’s Bluff in Jackson have been stymied, thanks in large part to Gov. Tate Reeves.

Earlier this week, the Republican governor vetoed a portion of a bill that directed $14 million to the office of Secretary of State Michael Watson for work on developing and improving a nature trail connecting parks and museums and making other tourism-related improvements in the LeFleur’s Bluff area.

It is not clear whether the Legislature could take up the veto during the 2025 session, which begins in January, though, that’s not likely. The Legislature had the option to return to Jackson Tuesday to take up any veto, but chose not to do so.

Of the project, Watson said, “Our office was approached late in the session about helping with a project to revitalize LeFleur’s Bluff. As Mississippi’s state land commissioner, I was more than happy to help lead this effort not just because it’s a natural fit for our office, but also because I believe Mississippi needs a thriving capital city to retain our best and brightest. Investing state funds in state property on a project to enhance the quality of life in Jackson makes good sense.

“Unfortunately, some only support it when it equates to campaign contributions. Sadly, through the line-item veto of the appropriation, Mississippians will once again wait another year for the opportunity to benefit from state investments for the greater public good.”

Various groups, such as representatives of the Mississippi Children’s Museum and many other community leaders have been working on the project for years. The area already is the home of the Children’s Museum, Museum of Natural History, Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum, state Agriculture Museum and a state park.

The issues with LeFleur’s Bluff first arose in 2022 when Reeves vetoed a $14 million appropriation that in part was designed to redesign and create a new golf course in the area. Previously, there had been a nine-hole, state-owned golf course operated by the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks at LeFleur’s Bluff State Park.

In 2022, the LeFleur’s Bluff project was one of literally hundreds of projects funded by the Legislature – many of which was tourism projects like LeFleur’s Bluff. The governor only vetoed a handful of those projects.

When issuing the LeFleur’s Bluff veto, Reeves said the state should not be involved in funding golf courses.

Then last year $13 million was directed to the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks to spend on the LeFleur’s Bluff project. But legislative leaders said state money would not go toward a golf course.

Lawmakers opted to transfer the project to the Secretary of State’s office late in the 2024 session, apparently in part because they felt the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks had not made enough of an effort to begin the project.

Lynn Posey, executive director of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks, said that before moving forward with the project, “We felt like we needed to do engineering work and see what the situation was. We never got a chance to move forward” because the Legislature redirected the money.

Posey said an engineer’s report was needed because “it is a unique piece of land.” He said much of the land is prone to flooding.

He said before that work could begin the Legislature switched the authority to the Secretary of State’s office. Posey was appointed to his current position by Reeves, whose office had no comment on the veto.

Lt. Gov. Delbert Hosemann said after the governor’s veto, “Projects like the LeFleur’s Bluff development are critical to the Capital City, the wider metropolitan area, and our state. Public parks add to the quality of life for our citizens. I am hopeful the individuals involved in this project, including those at the Mississippi Children’s Museum, will continue their work to improve this state asset.”

While the Constitution instructs the governor to provide to the Legislature a reason for any veto, Reeves did not do so this year when vetoing the money going to the Secretary of State’s office.

On Monday, the governor also vetoed a portion of another bill dealing with appropriations for specific projects. But in this case, the veto was more of a technicality. The bill was making corrections to language passed in previous sessions. In that language were five projects the governor vetoed in 2022.

The language, as it was written, would not have revived those previously vetoed projects, the governor said. But Reeves said he vetoed the five projects out of caution. He did the same in 2023 when those five projects, which included money appropriated in 2022 for the Russell C. Davis Planetarium in Jackson, were carried forward in a bill also making corrections to previously passed legislation.
https://mississippitoday.org/2024/05...-state-watson/
Is the state trying to take control of Smith-Wills Stadium? City says not so fast
Video Link

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. —
A fight could be brewing between the city of Jackson and the state of Mississippi over control of Smith-Wills Stadium.

The mayor’s office said despite some reports, the state has not repossessed the stadium. But some believe Republicans in the state legislature are trying another power grab in Jackson.

“I don’t understand the significance, or the interest in the state trying to pull this other than them trying to take the land for something else,” State Rep. Chris Bell said.

Bell believes the Republican-dominated legislature has an ulterior motive for legislation that gives the state control of the land on which Smith-Wills stands. The 5,200-seat baseball facility opened in the 1970s. Bell said the land under the stadium was donated to the city years ago with the stipulation that it be used for recreational and sporting events.

“Which has never ceased,” said Bell, a Democrat from Hinds County. “You have colleges that play their baseball games here and other junior colleges have played baseball here.”

“Jackson Public Schools has, I think six high schools now, and literally, I think there’s only one other facility other than ours for them to play on safely,” said Tim Bennett, CEO of the Hank Aaron Sports Academy.

But House Bill 1983, which the governor signed this week, calls for the state attorney general “to take necessary actions to determine compliance with the conditions of use of a land conveyance related to certain public lands within the city of Jackson. And to enforce the terms of the instrument of conveyance upon determination of a violation of the original specified purposes.”

Melissa Faith Payne, a spokesperson for the mayor, said the bill is not transparent. In fact, it never refers to Smith-Wills Stadium by name.

“Instead, it spells out the legal description of a parcel of land. The stadium itself is utilized by numerous schools and sporting teams from all over the metro and beyond. This deceptive maneuver is now common for the state when it comes to city of Jackson assets. The city of Jackson welcomes the challenge of repossession, especially when businesses sanctioned by the state have operated on that property for more than a decade,” Payne said in a statement.

The Hank Aaron Sports Academy is housed at Smith-Wills. CEO Bennett said he’s not taking sides between the city and state.

“I want to keep our relationship happy,” Bennett said. “I’ve been very happy working with the mayor of Jackson, Mayor (Chokwe Antar) Lumumba, who is giving us this opportunity. So, again, my job is to stay out of the middle and again, just do the job that I came here to do, which is baseball.”

Bell suggested there could be legal action if the state moves forward to try to take the land.
https://www.wapt.com/article/mississ...0the%20stadium.
Department of Public Safety and other state agencies moving to Pearl

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - The capital city is losing another major government facility with the legislature’s approval for relocation. The Department of Public Safety and other state agencies are moving their operations to Rankin County.

“Take good pictures of this building because I intend to tear it down,” said Lt. Governor Delbert Hosemann.

He told people gathered at Mississippi Highway Patrol Headquarters for the Fallen Officers Memorial that he plans to have the 48-year-old building leveled as soon as possible.

Construction is currently underway in Pearl for a new headquarters for MHP and the Department of Public Safety.

The 150,000-square-foot facility is next to the MS State Crime Lab. Officials plan to relocate several state agencies dealing with investigations of cyber crimes and security to the site.

“We’ll have more synergy for you to work together, and it will be the optimum and what it really reflects to me is the fact that we’re changing. We’re changing, evolving,” said Hosemann.

“It’s gonna bring all the divisions underneath the Department of Public Safety underneath one building which is something that’s never happened before,” said Department of Public Safety Commissioner Sean Tindell. “Highway Patrol’s always had its own headquarters. MBN’s always had its own headquarters, and now all our divisions will be under one roof working together to make a safer Mississippi.”

Completion is expected sometime in 2025. The Driver’s License office next to MHP Headquarters will remain at its location.
There is no word yet on the future use of the current Woodrow Wilson site.
https://www.wlbt.com/2024/05/15/depa...outputType=amp
Dinosaur exhibit coming to Mississippi Museum of Natural Science

Photo courtesy of the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science
Quote:
The Mississippi Museum of Natural Science in Jackson is looking to transport visitors to eras long past through its upcoming exhibit, Dinosaurs Around the World: The Great Outdoors.

The outdoor and indoor exhibit, which will run from June 8, 2024, through January 5, 2025, will feature 11 animatronic dinosaurs, showcase cutting-edge research, and provide a tour of what Earth looked like during the Mesozoic Era.

“Come face to face with the giants of the past. This exhibit is your chance to experience a prehistoric Earth and walk alongside the dinosaurs – it’s a thrilling adventure for all ages!” MMNS Director Charles Knight said.

Visitors of Dinosaurs Around the World: The Great Outdoors will explore time before the continents as we know them existed. For example, during the age of dinosaurs 252 to 66 million years ago, Brazil was covered with deserts and polar darkness was the norm in Australia.

Animatronics will include the mighty T. rex of North America, the bi-pedal predator Herrerasaurus, one of the first dinosaurs to appear on Earth, and the bizarre, bony-crested Oviraptor from Mongolia.

The exhibit is produced by Imagine Exhibitions and sponsored by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks, the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science Foundation, Nissan, Entergy, Trustmark Bank, Regions Bank, H.F. McCarty, Jr. Family Foundation, and others.

“‘Dinosaurs Around the World’ will transport visitors back in time to the unrecognizable landscape of Pangea in a playful and educational way,” Imagine Exhibitions President and CEO Tom Zaller said.

Accompanying the museum’s newest exhibit will be weekly dinosaur-themed “Fun Fridays” from June 7 through July 12 from 10 a.m. to noon and a “Tea Party with a T-Rex” on Nov. 16 from 10 a.m. to noon.

Dinosaurs Around the World: The Great Outdoors follows a successful run of Attack of the Bloodsuckers! which ended this past Sunday after four months of teaching visitors about sanguinivores. Tickets can be purchased online or in person at the museum.
https://www.supertalk.fm/dinosaur-ex...tural-science/
JPS announces RFP for surplus school sites
Video Link

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Officials with the Jackson Public School District (JPS) announced the launch of a Request for Proposal (RFP) process and the new Repurposing Initiative Webpage to help promote the reuse and redevelopment of the district’s surplus school sites.

According to JPS officials, their goal is to revitalize the properties by transforming them into valuable assets for Jackson’s neighborhoods.
Superintendent, Dr. Errick L. Greene said the Jackson community and Board of Trustees have made it clear that they want a plan of action to repurpose our closed or soon-to-be-shuttered buildings.

“We’ve heard the call and established the Facilities Repurposing Advisory Committee to help us strategically develop a comprehensive plan,” Greene said during the announcement. “We’ve received an overwhelming amount of interest in the properties from various individuals and organizations and the RFP process and the new webpage will provide a direct avenue to submit competitive proposals for the Board of Trustees to review.”

In December 2023, the JPS Board of Trustees voted in favor of a plan to close the following schools during the 2024-2025 school year:

Dawson Elementary
Lake Elementary
Lester Elementary
Marshall Elementary
Raines Elementary
Sykes Elementary
Shirley Elementary
G.N. Smith Elementary
Chastain Middle
Whitten Middle
Wingfield High
The consolidation of Obama IB Elementary and Wells APAC Elementary with their respective middle schools—Northwest IB and Bailey APAC—will be postponed until 2025. JPS officials said this delay allows for the completion of renovations at Bailey APAC Middle School.
https://www.wjtv.com/news/education/...-school-sites/
MDOT eyeing new idea to improve traffic at Madison Co. intersection

An aerial view of Mississippi 463 and Stribling Road.(Google Maps)
Quote:
MADISON COUNTY, Miss. (WLBT) - A design feature other states have used to help alleviate traffic concerns at busy intersections could soon be used in Madison County.

The feature is called a “Green T,” and engineers are drawing up plans to incorporate one at Mississippi 463 and Stribling Road.

Central District Transportation Commissioner Willie Simmons discussed plans at a recent Madison County Board of Supervisors meeting.

He said design work was underway but didn’t say when plans would be completed or how much the work would cost.

“Hopefully, we will be able to put that in place and it will give you some relief, but it’s not going to give you the relief that you need,” he said. “We just keep looking at ways to be able to enhance [463] but widening is not an option at this point.”

With a Green T, the intersection would be redesigned to better accommodate vehicles turning on and off Stribling Road, while also allowing a continuous flow of southbound traffic on 463.

“We looked at other states and they seem to help flow traffic in a situation like that. So, we’re going to try that in Madison,” he said. “That’s the first one we’re going to put in the state.”

Click here to see a video (https://www.in.gov/indot/traffic-eng...=&utm_content=) from the Indiana Department of Transportation showing how the intersections work.

463 is one of the busiest east-west corridors in Madison County, with about 4,700 vehicles traveling it each day near Stribling Road, according to the Mississippi Department of Transportation’s website.

A traffic study released by Kiser Traffic and Engineering in October 2023 showed both Stribling Road and Stribling Road Extension were over capacity, with the roads averaging 12,000 and 8,600 vehicles a day respectively.

State and county officials have been grappling with how to address traffic congestion in those areas for years.

Kiser’s report last year recommended widening Stribling to five lanes. Simmons believes the congestion will be alleviated once the Reunion Interchange is completed, giving residents another way to get to the interstate.

Simmons, meanwhile, says widening 463, a state highway, is off the table. “The closeness of homes and businesses that are located right next to the right-of-way, we don’t have any way of expanding it other than to buy up a lot of property and have folks move,” Simmons said. “That would not be a good play for us.”
https://www.wlbt.com/2024/05/16/mdot...-intersection/

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 9:44 PM

Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes Goldman Fine Jewelers Northpark

Quote:
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce
May 8 at 10:30 AM ·
CONGRATULATIONS to Goldman Fine Jewelers Goldman Northpark on their beautiful, new location at Northpark MS.
2024 Ridgeland Chamber President Cecil Harper with Harper, Rains, Knight & Company recognized members and guests at the ribbon cutting and welcomed store manager Tahir Mehmood or Zack (as he has come to be known) to our growing business community.
Since 1985 Goldman’s Fine Jewelers has proudly displayed one of the most comprehensive collections of diamond rings and jewelry in one location. Originally founded in Louisiana, Goldman Jewelers offers a wide selection of sterling silver, 14 karat gold, gemstone jewelry, natural diamonds and more. Goldman’s is the only jewelry store in Northpark where your jewelry is repaired while you wait.
Thank you, Zack, for investing in Ridgeland.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...8rtmsGUeVXSd9l
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce celebrates Watkins Construction & Roofing new headquarters opening

Quote:
May 3 at 5:56 PM ·
Congratulations to Watkins Construction & Roofing on their new state-of-the-art headquarters at 218 N Wheatley Street.

Here are pictures from 2023

https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...Ww2vaG46BQ2MVl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes Landrum Piano Gallery

Quote:
April 30 at 3:26 PM ·
Landrum Piano Gallery located at 731 S. Pear Orchard Road, Suite 34 in Odyssey North Shopping Center was welcomed to Ridgeland's business community with a ribbon cutting ceremony by the Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce. 2024 Chamber President Cecil Harper, Harper, Rains, Knight & Company, P.A. congratulated owner Joshua Landrum on turning his vision and dream of business ownership into reality. Locally owned and operated, Landrum Piano Gallery has been repairing and servicing a variety of brands and models of pianos in the Jackson metro area since 2015. Reliable and affordable repair service is Landrum Piano Gallery’s specialty. The Gallery also sells Kawai and Baldwin pianos.
Landrum Piano is the only piano company in Mississippi and one of the few in the U.S. that uses the state-of-the-art Piano Lift 2 for all moves. Landrum Piano Gallery also offers long and short-term piano storage in their climate-controlled facility.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...BbKMKNxbMEf8bl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes Lou’s Southern Sandwich Company

Quote:
April 25 at 2:44 PM ·
Members of the Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce were on hand to help celebrate Lou’s Southern Sandwich Company's ribbon cutting. Tim Magandy of Robot Coupe USA and 2024 Ridgeland Chamber Vice President welcomed chef and owner Louis LaRose to his new location in The Township at 1067 B Highland Colony Parkway.
Locally owned and operated, Lou’s Southern Sandwich Company first opened its doors at 904 E. Fortification Street in Jackson in 2014. So successful was his Southern-style restaurant, that Louis began seeking a second location.
Favorites at Lou’s include the Southern Smash Burger; Chick-fil-Lou.0; the brisket sandwich and Cicero sandwich. Lou’s also offers a wide selection of salads and appetizers and features a full-service bar and lounge area.
The menu at Lou’s embraces dishes, ingredients and styles from all over, but it’s Southern rooted at heart. The goal at Lou’s is to prepare each dish with soul and treat every diner as if they were a guest in Lou’s home.
Thank you, Louis, for investing in Ridgeland.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...k6PRaRrPKQuEMl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes The Waterford’s new Dog Park

Quote:
April 25 at 2:23 PM ·
A ribbon tying ceremony was held for The Waterford’s new Dog Park. The Waterford at Highland Colony, located at 619 Highland Colony Parkway, has been a member of the Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce for 24 years. Cecil Harper with Harper, Rains, Knight & Company, P.A. and 2024 Ridgeland Chamber President congratulated Administrator Andrea Myers and Sales Director Rhonda Brown on this wonderful addition to The Waterford.
The idea of independent living is to prolong independence for seniors and The Waterford is committed to doing just that. Being a pet friendly community so that residents can bring their pet with them is very important. This dog park will greatly enhance healthy opportunities not only for residents but for their beloved pets.
Thank you, Andrea and Rhonda for creating such an innovative and wonderful opportunity for your residents here in Ridgeland.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...pDZ4fx8jnk4R4l
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce celebrates Northpark MS - 40 Years of Style (1984-2024)

Quote:
April 2 ·
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Northpark MS - Celebrating 40 Years of Style (1984-2024). Northpark is an integral part of our business community and we are so proud to celebrate this milestone with them. They are planning several events throughout the year that you will not want to miss!
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...TFMKahQyFpfGkl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes Just Right Mattress Gallery

Quote:
March 19 ·
Just Right Mattress Gallery - Ridgeland was honored with a ribbon cutting at their new location 295 Highway 51. Owner Sonya Johnson along with Manager Charles Gowdy and Asst. Manager Korrisa Horvath were welcomed by Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce President Cecil Harper and greeted with well wishes by a large crowd of Chamber supporters.
Just Right Mattress Gallery offers all the top, name brand mattresses with pricing to fit any budget or sleep style. They also offer massage chairs, pillows, mattress covers, sheets, candles and burners.
Thank you, Sonya, for investing in Ridgeland.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...TEhVgK9k6vgGBl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes Buenos Aires Bakery

Quote:
March 8 ·
CONGRATULATIONS and best wishes to Buenos Aires Bakery and proprietor Evelyn Aviles on their beautiful, new location at 500 Hwy. 51, Suite F in Trace Station shopping center. The Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce helped celebrate the new space with a ribbon cutting event. Evelyn hopes to bring Argentine favorites to Ridgeland. Stop by and try their delicious pastries - cakes, cookies and empanadas.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...rKfxkrZDkgbagl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes Beanstalk Pediatrics PLLC

Quote:
February 14 ·
Members of the Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce gathered to welcome Dr. Constance Barnes-Woods and her staff to our growing business community. Dr. Barnes-Woods was congratulated by Chamber President Cecil Harper of Harper, Rains, Knight & Company, P.A. for turning her vision into reality with the opening of her new clinic at 320 W. Jackson Street in Ridgeland.
Beanstalk Pediatrics PLLC provides routine wellness and preventive care to children from birth through age 21. Beanstalk Pediatrics also treats children who are sick or have minor injuries. Dr. Woods, who is a Board-certified general pediatrician, also offers prenatal consultations to expectant moms. It is her goal to make Beanstalk Pediatrics a nurturing haven where children grow, thrive and reach their full potential.
Thank you, Dr. Barnes-Woods, for investing in Ridgeland.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...FQW86GB14LRkql
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes Killebrew Psychological Services

Quote:
February 9 ·
Members of the Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce gathered at 241 Sunnybrook Road to celebrate a ribbon cutting for Killebrew Psychological Services' new Wildwood KGK expansion. 2024 Ridgeland Chamber President Cecil Harper with Harper, Rains, Knight & Company welcomed the large crowd that was on hand and congratulated Dr. Alyssa Killebrew, Heath Killebrew and her staff on their beautiful new facility.
Dr. Alyssa Killebrew is a licensed clinical psychologist, a national certified counselor and a licensed professional counselor supervisor with more than 25 years of experience in the mental health field.
This building and clinic were a dream of Dr. Killebrew and her late husband Keath Killebrew.
Killebrew Psychological Services offers testing and counseling for children and adults and also offers an intensive outpatient program for adolescents and their families, farmers, veterans and first responders.
Adolescent and adult clients who suffer from everyday stressors and mood and personality disorders receive outpatient therapies. Common treatment plans include individual therapy, family therapy, couples therapy and group therapy.
Killebrew Psychological Services strongly believe in psychological evaluations because the assessment can aid in determining a validated diagnosis so they can assist individuals in building a collaborative treatment plan with the best practitioners. Practitioners at this center are highly skilled medical and clinical professionals.
Thank you, Dr. Killebrew and Heath, for opening your second location and for investing in Ridgeland.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...59tKjAALieDtAl

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 10:06 PM

Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes ZOOpendous Northpark MS

Quote:
February 1 ·
Looking for a fun-filled family activity? Then head on over to Northpark MS and check out ZOOpendous . Members of the Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce were on hand today to help ZOOpendous celebrate their one-year anniversary at Northpark. The story of Zoopendous began when owner Gene Moore and his wife, children and grandchildren visited Edgewater Mall in Biloxi and much to their amazement, saw humans riding motorized toy animals around the Mall. What a novel idea thought Gene and his mind began thinking how and where he could bring this fun entertainment concept to Ridgeland.
Children three years and older as well as adults may choose from 12 animals – favorites being Pinky Pie Unicorn, Greenie Dinosaur, King Lion, Queen Tiger and Ellie the Elephant.
Congratulations Gene on your one-year anniversary and for investing and bringing this fun entertainment venue to Ridgeland.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...NNjCYQDehceSDl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes Fruitrition Smoothie and Fruit Bar

Quote:
November 30, 2023 ·
The Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomed Fruitrition Smoothie and Fruit Bar and owner Nkemdili Lewis to our growing business community with a ribbon cutting ceremony. 2023 Ridgeland Chamber President Ray Balentine with Michael Baker International and Ridgeland Mayor Gene McGee both made special remarks congratulating Ms. Lewis on opening her new business in Ridgeland.
Fruitrition Smoothie and Fruit Bar specializes in smoothies, refreshers, shakes, parfaits, fruit cups, fruit nachos and a variety of healthy snacks. All smoothies are 250 calories or less and are designed to give customers a healthy, nutritious and energizing drink. Nkemdili, a Ridgeland resident, opened her business in October and since then business has been booming! With over 100 flavors of smoothies to choose from, it seems that this Christmas season “Berry Berry Good” is the number one favorite among customers. Fruitrition is open Monday through Friday 9 to 5 and Saturday 10 to 5.
Thank you, Nkemdili, for investing in Ridgeland.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...kUTC22bDU66jFl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes OnTargetTV of Mississippi

Quote:
December 14, 2023 ·
CONGRATULATIONS to Fred and Becky Davis with OnTargetTV of Mississippi. OnTargetTV is a locally owned, indoor digital billboard company, currently serving Madison, Rankin and Hinds counties. OnTargetTV brings local businesses to the forefront of our community with indoor digital billboards presently in 54 locations and growing.
OnTargetTV connects local businesses to their customers through their network of screens which display full motion ads about the business hosting the screen, ads for local businesses and the surrounding area. The concept of indoor digital billboards is basically the same as outdoor billboards only the cost is much less. The Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce says THANK YOU to Fred and Becky Davis for bringing this concept to Madison County and investing in Ridgeland. www.ontargettv.com
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...yRthwKCfcKh1Tl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes Mississippi Association of Broadcasters new headquarters

Quote:
November 17, 2023 ·
Members of the Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce were on hand to congratulate Mississippi Association of Broadcasters and Executive Director Amanda Fontaine on the Association’s beautiful, new location at 301 Highland Park Cove. 2023 Ridgeland Chamber President Ray Balentine of Michael Baker International engineering firm made a presentation to the association and recognized other area Chamber representatives also present for the ribbon cutting and open house.
Created in 1941, the Mississippi Association of Broadcasters is one of the nation’s leading state broadcast associations. With 222 radio and 22 television stations in our state, the MAB represents the Mississippi broadcast industry in Washington and at the state and local levels.
Mayor Pro Tempore Wes Hamlin, Alderman, Ward VI, represented Mayor Gene McGee and thanked Amanda and the assocation for their investment and continued support of Ridgeland's business community.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...rtjrqZFdnGfDsl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes Summit Wealth Group

Quote:
November 17, 2023 ·
Members of the Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce gathered to WELCOME Summit Wealth Group and Chris Wells to their beautiful, new office space at 271 Trace Colony Park Drive, Suite B. Special guest Randy Morris, CEO and founder was also recognized. Mr. Morris traveled from Scottsdale, AZ to be part of Summit Wealth Group's ribbon cutting and open house.
With 10 locations across the United States, Ridgeland and Meridian are the only two cities in Mississippi with Summit Wealth group offices. Thank you, Randy, Chris and Josh for choosing Ridgeland to open this branch location.
Summit Wealth Group’s philosophy is sound but very simple – through a carefully constructed and accountability-based implementation of a plan, Summit Wealth Group can help their clients realize their dreams. They are committed to helping clients navigate the path to a better, more secure future.
Again, we thank you for investing in Ridgeland.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...GmX6acjMg2VCRl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes MS Neurology Care Clinic, INC

Quote:
November 3, 2023 ·
WELCOME to MS Neurology Care Clinic, INC located at 892 Centre Street in Ridgeland. Members of the Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce gathered to congratulate Amanda Greene, DNP, NP-C; Kaylon Lewis, ANP-BC; Jessica Lowery, FNP-BC, CHC and Karen Freeman, NP-C, AQH to our growing business community.
MS Neurology Care Clinic was established to provide access to neurology-based care for Mississippians and individuals in surrounding states experiencing various neurological conditions.
Some of the conditions treated here include multiple sclerosis; dementia; seizure disorders; Parkinsons disease; Alzheimer’s disease; migraines and other headache disorders as well as neuropathy.
The mission of MS Neurology Care Clinic is to provide excellent, cost- effective patient care, while promoting wellness throughout our community.
Thank you, Amanda, Kaylon, Jessica and Karen, for investing in Ridgeland.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...AQAA81rN4Ufg9l
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes Aplos Simple Mediterranean

Quote:
October 21, 2023 ·
CONGRATULATIONS to Aplos Simple Mediterranean, now open in the Renaissance at Colony Park. Members of the Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce gathered for a ribbon cutting event to welcome the Aplos team - Alex Eaton, Cristian Rodriguez and Justin Watts. Be sure to check out their delicious menu at www.eataplos.com
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...5dbG4u2zMbxKDl
Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce welcomes 4D Implant Prosthodontic Center

Quote:
October 12, 2023 ·
CONGRATULATIONS to Dr. Firas Mourad, DDSMS, on the opening of his new clinic 4D Implant Prosthodontic Center, located at 230 Trace Colony Park Drive, Suite 1. Members of the Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce were on hand to celebrate with Dr. Mourad and staff during their recent ribbon cutting.
https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...ncBh9f5ZttKgSl
Pearl Chamber of Commerce attends groundbreaking ceremony for The Toasted Yolk Cafe

Quote:
Pearl Chamber of Commerce is with Angie Comans Crawford and Outlets of Mississippi.
May 14 at 7:37 PM ·
The Pearl Chamber held a Ground Breaking Ceremony on Tuesday May 14th at the future site of The Toasted Yolk Cafe! We are so excited about having this awesome restaurant in the city of Pearl! They will be located on the corner of Hwy 80 and Bass Pro Drive next door to Cavender’s. Go to their Facebook page or thetoastedyolkcafe.com
#eatshopplaypearl
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00064817136120

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 10:12 PM

Ridgeland Chamber of Commerce shares pictures from the 2023 Annual Awards Banquet back in April of this year

https://www.facebook.com/ridgelandch...6tqmQNxLX72qyl

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 10:40 PM

River Belles by Britt Johnson, on Flickr
Quote:
River Belles
With the Jackson skyline along with both capitol domes (the old Mississippi capitol building is now a museum) providing a nice backdrop, a local crosses over the Pearl River headed back to their yard in suburban Pearl with a transfer cut from the CN yard. Nice matched trio of Belle GP40 variants for power, the same set that handled the Vicksburg Turn the previous day.
Illinois Central, Monday Morning Rail by EMD GT22, on Flickr
Quote:
Illinois Central, Monday Morning Rail
Amtrak P058, the northbound City of New Orleans, crawls out of its station stop at Jackson, Mississippi as a Canadian National local heads south with an Illinois Central unit leading.
Jackson, Mississippi from the City of New Orleans by ArchiTexty, on Flickr
Jackson, MS by ArchiTexty, on Flickr
Old Robert E. Lee Hotel (Jackson, Mississippi) by courthouselover, on Flickr

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 1:41 AM

State to allocate $95M in bonds for construction of new liquor storage facility in Jackson

Quote:
Mississippi lawmakers have approved millions to construct a new facility to store liquor transported statewide.

Republican Governor Tate Reeves’ signature on House Bill 1354 allows state bonds to be used to build a new center to hold alcoholic beverages until they are purchased by retailers. According to the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association, Mississippi is one of 17 states that controls the sale of distilled spirits and, in some cases wine and beer, through government agencies at the wholesale level.

This means that liquor beverages containing more than five percent of alcohol by weight sold at various licensed package stores in Mississippi must be facilitated through a warehouse owned by the state. The current facility resides in Gluckstadt, located just under 10 miles away from the capital city of Jackson.

The state-owned warehouse has been the subject of criticism from business owners who sell liquor as well as lawmakers due to allegations that it is outdated and in dire need of upgrades. Back in 2022, Republican Senator Scott DeLano claimed that the facility experiences consistent backlogs in distribution as it is responsible for sending out millions of cases of liquor and wine each year.

“I get phone more phone calls from restaurants and from casinos down on the coast that express those problems or those concerns, as well as friends and family, that can’t find very basic wine and spirits,” DeLano said on MidDays with Gerard Gibert. “Liquor stores aren’t able to get it [promptly] and we need to help them out.”

To remedy this issue, the state is offering up to $95 million in bonds to cover costs associated with constructing a brand-new facility. The Department of Finance and Administration is tasked with selecting a suitable site for the liquor storage warehouse. That spot must be within 50 miles of the state capitol building.

In order to pay for the bonds, a $1.50 bailment fee, up 50 cents from the $1 fee instituted in 2022, will be tacked on each case of liquor housed at the warehouse. This means private funds used to acquire spirits for commercial use in Mississippi will be utilized to reimburse the government for the construction of the state-owned facility.

Alcohol is a major money maker in Mississippi as the state hauled in $119,768,999 from liquor sales in 2023, per a report from the Department of Revenue. Officials and business owners alike believe that a bigger and better facility would help store more product and reduce delays in delivery, though free market proponents have pushed for the state to get out of the liquor distribution business altogether.

According to the legislation, a contract for warehouse construction shall be entered by October 1.
https://www.supertalk.fm/state-to-al...rage-facility/
Cathead Distillery hosts crawfish boil Jackson, MS on May 18th

Quote:
The second annual Cathead crawfish boil will be held this Saturday.

Cathead Distillery announced in a Facebook post: "Celebrate summer with Cathead Crawfish Second Boil of the season! Join us May 18th from 12-9 p.m. at Cathead Distillery for LIVE MUSIC, CRAWFISH, CRAFT CATHEAD COCKTAILS, & BEER! Mark your calendars! Indoors and outdoors will be open and this event is free and open to the public. We are pet and family friendly."

Owned by founders Austin Evans and Richard Patrick, the Cathead Distillery is located on the edge of downtown Jackson, and currently produces seven small-batch spirits where the Cathead Jam festival and other events take place every year.

This year, fans can expect live music from the Bailey Brothers from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. and DJ Cadillac & DJ Tam from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. during the crawfish boil.

Earlier this year, Cathead Distillery canceled its popular annual Cathead Jam festival, saying they wanted to grow and explore new avenues to connect with the community and create memorable experiences.

This decision allows them to focus on enhancing programs and services, ensuring that when Cathead Jam returns in the future, it will be even more spectacular, organizers said.

"We are planning lots of events including programming for next year," said Patrick, co-founder of Cathead Distillery, in an interview with the Clarion Ledger. "Standard marketing is our approach, social channels and email blast to help get the word out about different events we have coming"

Indoor and outdoor seating will be open during the event. The crawfish this year will be provided by Sal & Phil's with a full bar offering Cathead cocktails, domestic and draft beer.

IF YOU GO:
When: Saturday, May 18
Where: Cathead Distillery 422 S. Farish St., Jackson
Admission: Free
Time: 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...4/73672005007/
Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership hosted Bringing Washington to You featuring U.S. Senator Roger Wicker

Quote:
Greater Jackson Chamber Partnership
8h ·
This morning GJCP hosted Bringing Washington to You featuring U.S. Senator Roger Wicker. More than 100 attendees gathered to hear updates from Washington. Among the many global, national and local issues Senator Wicker covered, he touched on the One Lake flood control project, which he’s been a supporter of for many years.
Special thanks to Entergy Mississippi and Regions for sponsoring today’s event.
https://www.facebook.com/GreaterJack...PhtaVmimzyEvEl
Farmers market hosted by Black Burn Middle School in partnership with JSU
Video Link

Quote:
JACKSON, Miss. —
The 2024 Farmers Market, hosted by Black Burn Middle School in partnership with Jackson State University, is now open.

Students sell fruits and vegetables to members of the community from their student-led garden. The kids planted seeds of many kinds during the fall like carrots, cabbage, bananas, peppers and more. It's been a long process and now it's harvest time.

Seventh-grade student Aaron Curtis said they've learned a lot in the garden club.

“I learned about nutrition and the way different food impact your health,” Curtis said.

And that's not all. The students were awarded a special gift, a $10,000 donation from Soul City Solar and also United Way of Capital Area, totaling $20,000 toward the upkeep of the garden and supplies. The garden was created in 2016.
https://www.wapt.com/article/what-to...-scam/60828926

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:32 PM

Amazon Web Services holds ceremonial groundbreaking in Madison County

Quote:
The $10 billion economic development project represents the largest private sector investment in Mississippi history.
A ceremonial groundbreaking was held Monday morning at the site of the Amazon Web Services’ (AWS) planned $10 billion investment in Madison County. It is the single largest private sector investment in Mississippi history.

The company’s investment in the Magnolia State will create at least 1,000 high-tech, high-paying jobs for Mississippians in multiple data center complexes in two Madison County industrial parks.

Governor Tate Reeves was present at the event attended by local, state and federal leaders, including U.S. Senators Roger Wicker and Cindy Hyde-Smith. Reeves said it is hard to put into words just how important AWS’ investment is to the future of Mississippi.

“It’s truly a watershed moment in Mississippi economic development history, and I’m proud of the massive impact this project will have on our state,” Governor Reeves said. “In recent years, we’ve seen multiple record-breaking private sector investments, we’ve reached historic new heights when it comes to education, and we’ve worked hard to train our workforce for the jobs of the next 50 years.”

Governor Reeves said the “record-shattering investment from Amazon Web Services” will continue to ignite further economic growth and drive the state forward.

“The future of Mississippi is bright, and the only day better than today is tomorrow,” Reeves said.

Earlier this year, the Governor called a special session to consider an incentive package for the economic development project. As previously reported by Magnolia Tribune, lawmakers swiftly passed the incentives in January with only one vote in opposition in both chambers.

Coined “Project Atlas,” the incentives provided include the state committing to a 10-year, 100% corporate income tax exemption, along with incentives for Sales and Use Tax for construction as well as investments made 12 months post-construction. Amazon will receive a rebate of 3.15% of eligible construction costs and a 100% exemption for Sales and Use Tax on equipment. There is also a 30-year rolling state tax exemption. In the event Amazon continues to make the annual minimal investment of $500 million and hires 50 additional jobs, those tax benefits could be extended. The company will begin paying income tax after 10 years but will not be exempt from payroll taxes.

Lawmakers appropriated $44 million to the project, none of which will be used for facility construction. Of that, $35 million is directed to go to workforce training through community colleges and other workforce programs, and $5 million is directed to site development support.

More coverage from today's event
Video Link

Quote:
Mississippi Public Service Commissioner Wayne Carr
3h ·
Today I attended the ground breaking ceremony for the AWS Data Center in Madison County. This is the largest economic development project in the history of Mississippi, with an investment of over 10 Billion dollars and over 1000 high paying jobs! I am honored to have played a small role in this important project for Mississippi!
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...61555578028540
Miniso opens at Northpark in Jackson

Quote:
Northpark in Jackson has announced that international retailer, Miniso, is the newest addition to the shopping center.

Now open to shoppers, Miniso showcases a diverse array of high-quality, affordable products spanning lifestyle, home goods, beauty, fashion, and more.

“Northpark is proud to introduce Miniso as our newest addition,” said Shawn Cochran, Northpark’s General Manager. “Miniso makes a lively addition to Northpark with its vibrant, unique products, and we are confident that it will quickly become a favorite destination for shoppers of all ages.”

The shopping center plans other store openings this year as it continues to enhance its interior as they celebrate their 40th year in business in the Jackson metro area.

Last edited by vetteking; Yesterday at 11:50 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:35 PM

Here is another video from the groundbreaking ceremony:

Quote:
SuperTalk Mississippi News
7h ·
Ground has officially been broken at one of two Amazon Web Services hyperscale data centers in Madison County. The $10 billion investment by AWS makes for the largest economic development project in Mississippi history.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=348331844567630

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:02 PM

More details/renderings of the building from today's event:

Quote:
Kevin Miller, vice president of AWS Global Data Centers, added that the cloud computing service provider will not stop with the two centers in central Mississippi. He added that the company will be bringing six special projects to the state as a means of giving back to the community and providing education opportunities to train the future of Mississippi’s workforce.

Amazon Community Workforce Accelerator at the Madison County megasite — training center to support careers in cloud-computing infrastructure.
$200,000 worth of equipment to be donated to elementary and middle schools in Madison, Canton, and Jackson public schools to equip students with a tech-based education.
Fiberoptic certification courses at Hinds and Holmes community colleges as well as education opportunities at other colleges and nonprofit organizations in the state.
$250,000 community grant fund to support projects that benefit the greater Jackson area
Girls tech series — free learning opportunities for women interested in pursuing a career in science, engineering, arts, and mathematics.
“Think Big” space in Jackson — a facility for students to explore and cultivate an interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics with hands-on, lab-based education.

Renderings of the Amazon Community Workforce Accelerator coming to Canton
(Photo by SuperTalk Mississippi News)

AWS will also work to provide renewable energy in Mississippi. In partnership with Entergy, AWS will bring 650 megawatts of new renewable energy projects over the next three years. A plan to add 1.3 gigawatts of carbon-free energy in Mississippi solar and wind farming projects is also in the works.

“From all of the construction workers that will help build these facilities, to the electricians that will help wire the miles and miles of electrical cables, to all the maintenance teams that will help keep them running at peak efficiency, this project is estimated to add an additional $3.3 billion to Mississippi’s GDP,” Miller said. “As we do all of that and we grow, we want to do that sustainably.

The AWS centers are expected to be completed in Mississippi within the next five to seven years.
https://www.supertalk.fm/officials-b...adison-county/

Last edited by vetteking; Today at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Today, 12:34 AM

Downtown Brandon Mississippi Drone Videography
Video Link

Mississippi DPS Headquarters Construction - January 2024 (Drone Aerial Videography)
Video Link

Walking around Ridgeland, Mississippi | 4K Video
Video Link

Old Posted Today, 12:57 AM

Pictures from new Mississippi Department of Public Safety (Official) headquarters

Quote:
Brandon at 400ft AGL
August 15, 2023 ·
The new Mississippi Department of Public Safety (Official) headquarters is coming along nicely! AnderCorp
https://www.facebook.com/BrandonAt40...FPs6Ur42qSHPQl

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations