116 S. Main Street

315 S. Main Street

The Yard at South Main

And a few from Ypsilanti:

Thompson Block:

116-118 W. Michigan Avenue

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 10:57 AM
somewhere in-between

^ Thanks for those updates. I did not know that The Yard at South Main was that far along.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 1:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
LOL at all those old fucks there, why do they think they get to decide what housing get's build for future generations?

How does one even rationalize this absurd logic?
NIMBYs must categorically be ignored. They always want parks and fountains and cutsy little stuff. They don’t care about what’s logical.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 6:22 PM

Looks like there is soil sampling going on at Nine99 (Formerly 1140 Broadway)--

Taken by a friend of mine

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:46 AM

Very cringe--
Ann Arbor council votes 11-0 to try to repurchase Y Lot for $4.2M
Quote:
Ann Arbor is going to try to repurchase the downtown Y Lot for $4.2 million with a goal of facilitating a new development that includes affordable housing.
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/...news_ann-arbor

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 1:15 PM
somewhere in-between

If you crave reading more about NIMBY's in Ann Arbor, this article should satisfy you for a while...

Quote:
Ann Arbor neighbors criticize 3-story 'jurassic monster' development
Ryan Stanton | MLive
May 3, 2018

ANN ARBOR, MI - Lawrence Dolph told Ann Arbor planning officials this week his grandfather Ray Dolph gifted the Dolph Nature Area to the city in 1955 to be a jewel and environmental oasis. He said most cities don't have that, and Ann Arbor does with the 57-acre wooded area and trails surrounding the only naturally formed lakes in Ann Arbor, the First and Second Sister Lakes. But now he's worried about the potential impacts of a three-story, 95-unit senior housing facility proposed next to the northwest side of that nature area off Wagner and Jackson roads...
In addition to a "Jurassic monster" residents nearby refer to it as "a gross distortion," "gargantuan," and too-commercial in appearance. My favorite comment from the meeting has to be -

Quote:
"If you allow this to be built, the ghost of Ray Dolph will haunt you and you do not want that..."
An we're talking about this - a three story residence for mostly mobility-bound octogenarians, next to a few 2 story houses...

Source: MLive | Courtesy Lockwood Development / Edmund London & Associates Inc.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 9:07 PM

That's a really ugly building proposed next to a really nice nature area, but the concerns about its other impacts are kinda bs, it shouldn't end up being as big of a deal as its being made out as.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 10:22 PM
The City

Let the NIMBYS win.

That thing looks like shit

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 7:27 PM

Oh wow that’s bland as hell. I could tolerate the architecture, but damn the site plan

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 11:04 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

If I'm to be honest looking at the neighborhood, this does seem like a kind of weird placement for this kind of development.

But the size of it certainly isn't the problem.

Lawrence sounds like he's lots of fun.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 6:05 PM

Finally!!!

DTE unveils plan for $75M riverfront redevelopment in Ann Arbor
Quote:
DTE Energy has unveiled plans for a long-awaited redevelopment of a vacant industrial site along the Huron River in Ann Arbor, a project several years in the making.

DTE/Roxbury - https://expo.advance.net/img/34b7521...ng_may2018.jpg

MLive article

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:52 PM
somewhere in-between

A $213 million mixed-use development, potentially including 600+ residential units and some retail, is proposed for downtown Ann Arbor. A Chicago-based developer, Morningside Lower Town LLC - is leading the charge.

Quote:
$213 million mixed-use development planned for downtown Ann Arbor
Kurt Nagl | Crain's Detroit Business
May 22, 2018

A $213 million mixed-use development is planned for 6.4 acres of vacant land adjacent to downtown Ann Arbor.

The three-building project at 1140 Broadway St. includes a 384,401-square-foot building with 530 residential rental units; a 123,725-square-foot condominium complex with 86 for-sale units; 4,600 square feet of retail space spread across three buildings; and two parking decks totaling 181,979 square feet and 536 parking spots...

Source: Crain's Detroit Business | Courtesy Morningside Lower Town LLC

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 4:01 PM
somewhere in-between

Ann Arbor is still working on determining potential outside funding for the large urban trail network planned along Allen Creek. This will be a great catalyst for more development throughout the city.

Quote:
Ann Arbor holds back on budgeting to implement $55M urban trail
Ryan Stanton | MLive
May 15, 2018

ANN ARBOR, MI - Five months ago, the Ann Arbor City Council adopted an ambitious plan for a $55 million urban trail. The project is known as the Treeline, but there's no mention of any funds to implement it in the city's proposed budget for 2018-19. City officials say they're waiting to see if outside grant funding and private donations materialize. In the meantime, some planning work continues, and at least one piece of the Treeline -- a tunnel to the riverfront -- is expected to be built in the next year with previously committed funds...
Some compelling imagery...

Source: MLive

Old Posted May 27, 2018, 3:58 PM

The Argo spiral is awesome. I’d love biking on that thing

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
A $213 million mixed-use development, potentially including 600+ residential units and some retail, is proposed for downtown Ann Arbor. A Chicago-based developer, Morningside Lower Town LLC - is leading the charge.

Source: Crain's Detroit Business | Courtesy Morningside Lower Town LLC
This is not a new development; the developers have been trying to get it done for quite some time, now, but Ann Arbor as usual has been mico-managing this one. It's also not downtown.

I do hope the city finally allows them to get shovels in the ground on this one. The opposition to this one has been weird for me, as it's not like it's in the middle of an existing low-density residential neighborhood. It lies in a really fragmented area as far as surrounding usages are concerned. This would sort of tie everything together, give the area north of the bridge a center.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 8:10 AM

Agree. I’ve never understood the opposition to this. It would be a great boost to that area. Major development proposals have come and gone for almost a decade now for that site.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:33 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
This is not a new development; the developers have been trying to get it done for quite some time, now, but Ann Arbor as usual has been mico-managing this one. It's also not downtown.

I do hope the city finally allows them to get shovels in the ground on this one. The opposition to this one has been weird for me, as it's not like it's in the middle of an existing low-density residential neighborhood. It lies in a really fragmented area as far as surrounding usages are concerned. This would sort of tie everything together, give the area north of the bridge a center.
My bad - I was posting quickly and didn't even remember that this has been around for a while. And I should have said 'downtown-adjacent'.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 8:51 AM

I hate to get super-technical, but this isn't even downtown-adjacent. Downtown doesn't even get up to the river.

Like, even more liberal definitions of the area might include all of Kerrytown. Honestly, on the north end of downtown you don't start to feel that it's a downtown until at least Kingsley. I don't know what they call the area north of Kingsley (well, a big part of it is the Old Fourth Ward), but that's what I'd consider "downtown-adjacent".

That's one thing I've been struck having spent a bit more time there in the last two years: the river and its valley really, really divide the city. Lower Town feels like a whole seperate village. What I love about this proposal is that it'll give the folks north of the river at least a start on a "downtown" of it's own. Because there is honestly nothing much left of it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 12:42 PM

Finally.

Quote:

Ann Arbor inks deal to sell downtown lot to Chicago developer for $10M

By Ryan Stanton, MLive.com

June 4, 2018

ANN ARBOR, MI - More than a year after the Ann Arbor City Council voted to sell a downtown property to a Chicago developer, the city and developer have finalized a purchase agreement.

City Administrator Howard Lazarus announced at the City Council meeting Monday night, June 4, that the city and developer Core Spaces have signed a purchase agreement for the Library Lot, which is the parking lot atop the city's underground parking garage off Fifth Avenue next to the downtown library.

The city intends to sell the lot to Core Spaces for $10 million to allow the developer to build a 17-story high-rise including a hotel, apartments, office/retail space and an outdoor plaza.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Finally.

About time! Great news.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest