HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 2:11 PM
the first stamp is free

^ Grand Forks. But if we shoot for the stars, maybe Fargo!

I think it would make sense if it was somewhere east. Atlanta?

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 2:17 PM

^ lol

What YWG really needs is not so much the WestJet to LAX 3x weekly type service, but carriers aligned with an alliance taking people into a hub on a daily basis where they can connect to a wide range of places. The LAX flight gets headlines but it's almost useless for most travellers. A daily CRJ to ORD would be far far more useful even if it's nowhere near as sexy.

Possible glam-type destinations? A NYC area airport, a Bay Area airport, Seattle, New Orleans, Honolulu.

Useful hub destinations? Chicago, although that one's not new. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Detroit (again, not new), Denver (same), SFO.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ lol

What YWG really needs is not so much the WestJet to LAX 3x weekly type service, but carriers aligned with an alliance taking people into a hub on a daily basis where they can connect to a wide range of places. The LAX flight gets headlines but it's almost useless for most travellers. A daily CRJ to ORD would be far far more useful even if it's nowhere near as sexy.

Possible glam-type destinations? A NYC area airport, a Bay Area airport, Seattle, New Orleans, Honolulu.

Useful hub destinations? Chicago, although that one's not new. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Detroit (again, not new), Denver (same), SFO.
LAX is a hub for Delta Airlines. WS is codeshare partner with Delta.

However being on the coast, LAX is not a great place for domestic connections within the US.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
LAX is a hub for Delta Airlines. WS is codeshare partner with Delta.

However being on the coast, LAX is not a great place for domestic connections within the US.
It's hard to be a useful service for connections when you're only running a few times a week. And yeah, not a ton of useful connections at LAX unless maybe you're going on vacation to Hawaii or LATAM.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 5:55 PM

I would like to see either the return of Chicago or Denver, or the addition of NYC, Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta. Would also be nice to see the Las Vegas flight increase in frequency.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 6:00 PM

Quote:
WS is codeshare partner with Delta.
WestJet (WS) announced last week that they have chosen to end their partnership with Delta. Source

As I have previously mentioned Atlanta and Georgia are comparable to Winnipeg and Manitoba on film production. Having a way for content producers such as Netflix to more easily move people between their operations base in LA, Winnipeg and Atlanta definitely makes some level of sense for business travel. It also gives Winnipeg a connection point to a southeast hub opening up that region for vacation travel that was previously a lot more difficult to reach. Now if WS had kept its Delta partnership, Atlanta is a Delta hub and WS could have potentially used ATL as a connection point for Florida bound travelers from Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 6:07 PM

Quote:
^ lol

When was there a non-stop to Detroit from Winnipeg?

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
When we went to LA in Nov it left at 8 am. I thought they all left at 8 am.
It did for a min but they switched it to 650 and now they are 8am again
So Us customs was a zoo with LAX 650 MSP 655 and AZA 8 like 3 days a week

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
WestJet (WS) announced last week that they have chosen to end their partnership with Delta. Source
They did not end their partnership with DL. They only deferred going after a joint-venture. The relationship is staying as is.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 6:13 PM

Apparently WestJet is going to be making Winnipeg a crew base in the future. To continue with their Western Canada presence.

Yes WestJet is ending their joint venture partnership with Delta and does not want to continue. They will codeshare but that’s it. So always check if it says Operated by WestJet or Operated by Delta when booking!!
Delta people I know hate what WestJet has become. Since WestJet let go of their employees and have the third party employees now working in Winnipeg it makes it very tough for the check in agents if something is wrong. the new agents at WS don’t have the proper training to know how to read the ticket if something is wrong.

But because WestJet and Delta are just codeshare and not joint venture. It isn’t going to stop WestJet for flying into Delta hubs without Deltas like permission or Deltas thoughts. WestJet doesn’t have to share its ideas to Delta since they aren’t on the joint venture. It’s why they came out of left field and started flying into Delta hubs. WestJet can do what it

It’s why I think ATL could still happen.
I bet WAA, Manitoba Gov and Movie production went to Delta saying hey we are doing good with the movies and the LaX flight… and ATL is your home hub and a big movie studio…. Wanna fly we will give you money to help the route.. Delta replied no why fly over a hub like MSP when it does a good enough job and a super close hub and why waste a plane on YWG ATL when we can use that plane on a better market for more money somewhere else.
So WAA & Manitoba go hey WestJet wanna try fly YWG ATL and they I bet are like yea we got extra planes since leaving Toronto why not boost the West more!

Also let’s hope WestJet doesn’t go on strike for may long weekend. What a gong show it will be for travel!!!!

I do wonder if that May 11th announcement is the official word of Porter coming

Last edited by kattiff; May 3, 2023 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
When was there a non-stop to Detroit from Winnipeg?
It ran quite a while ago, like over 20 years ago, on NWA. Maybe that counts as new again in that case?

I believe at one point there was also a short lived service to Salt Lake City.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
Apparently WestJet is going to be making Winnipeg a crew base in the future. To continue with their Western Canada presence.

Yes WestJet is ending their joint venture partnership with Delta and does not want to continue. They will codeshare but that’s it. So always check if it says Operated by WestJet or Operated by Delta when booking!!
Delta people I know hate what WestJet has become. Since WestJet let go of their employees and have the third party employees now working in Winnipeg it makes it very tough for the check in agents if something is wrong. the new agents at WS don’t have the proper training to know how to read the ticket if something is wrong.

But because WestJet and Delta are just codeshare and not joint venture. It isn’t going to stop WestJet for flying into Delta hubs without Deltas like permission or Deltas thoughts. WestJet doesn’t have to share its ideas to Delta since they aren’t on the joint venture. It’s why they came out of left field and started flying into Delta hubs. WestJet can do what it

I bet WAA, Manitoba Gov and Movie production went to Delta saying hey we are doing good with the movies and the LaX flight… and ATL is your home hub and a big movie studio…. Wanna fly we will give you money to help the route.. Delta replied no why fly over a hub like MSP when it does a good enough job and a super close hub and why waste a plane on YWG ATL when we can use that plane on a better market for more money somewhere else.
So WAA & Manitoba go hey WestJet wanna try fly YWG ATL and they I bet are like yea we got extra planes since leaving Toronto why not boost the West more!

Also let’s hope WestJet doesn’t go on strike for may long weekend. What a gong show it will be for travel!!!!

I've been on WestJet several times over the last year or so after not being on it for a while, and it feels kind of like a ULCC now. It definitely doesn't feel like the aspiring national carrier that it once was.

As for Atlanta, it makes sense for DL to run it because of all the connections you can take from there to various southeastern US destinations plus even some in LATAM. But for WestJet it could be tricky given what you said about their arrangement with DL falling through. I can't imagine there is a ton of O&D traffic to ATL, unlike LAX where there is a lot of leisure traffic not to mention a decent amount of business traffic too. Or maybe Price Industries can keep the route afloat on its own, ha?

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 8:20 PM

Quote:

WestJet and Delta have never had a joint venture. It has always been just a codeshare.

They did apply to the government in both countries to be allowed to operate a joint venture. There were a number of conditions imposed by the government, including WestJet giving up its slots at Laguardia. At the end of the day WestJet and Delta concluded the cost were to high and walked away.

Old Posted May 3, 2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
WestJet and Delta have never had a joint venture. It has always been just a codeshare.

They did apply to the government in both countries to be allowed to operate a joint venture. There were a number of conditions imposed by the government, including WestJet giving up its slots at Laguardia. At the end of the day WestJet and Delta concluded the cost were to high and walked away.
Sorry I forgot to put the words they were very close to having a JV but it didn’t happen due to the above reasons
But they were super close

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 2:32 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine there is a ton of O&D traffic to ATL, unlike LAX where there is a lot of leisure traffic not to mention a decent amount of business traffic too. Or maybe Price Industries can keep the route afloat on its own, ha?
Netflix is setting up Winnipeg to be a massive content production base for them including have the former Nygard warehouse on Inkster converted into a sound stage. It is unlikely to be churning out anything top tier level but a steady amount of B level work similar to the Hallmark Christmas movies that love to film here.

Netflix is obviously has their HQ in LA and a lot of on screen and off screen creative talent (writers, directors, etc) are LA based.

As mentioned several times, Atlanta and the broader Georgia area are a similar production hub for B level content. If you watch enough Netflix content you start to see people popping up in multiple places, somewhat similar to how Hollywood studios used to sign talent to deals rather than onto specific projects like they do mostly now.

Making it easier to these people to move between LA, Atlanta and Winnipeg plus Toronto, Vancouver and to a lesser degree Alberta helps out the Manitoba film production industry. Also as a provincial government had put financial guarantees on the LAX route which has seemingly proven to be self sustaining it could have freed up funds to put a similar guarantee on a ATL route.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 4:11 PM

Whatever the new route is
Def announcing May 12
It is apparently WestJet and like 5x a week

Starting to think it’s Chicago O Hare

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 5:23 PM

Direct to Chicago would be amazing! Denver would also be a great option. I am sick of flying through TO and Calgary to get to and from US locations. Delta's MSP offering is too limited. Let's hope for good news.

Old Posted May 8, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Whatever the new route is
Def announcing May 12
It is apparently WestJet and like 5x a week

Starting to think it’s Chicago O Hare
Yes please please please!!!!!!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 3:40 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

The return to weekday service for YWG-ORD would be amazing!

Now, do Denver and maybe even at minimum, Newark or La Guardia.

Direct flight to ATL would be nice too. Would love to visit my aunt down there without taking connecting flights.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
The return to weekday service for YWG-ORD would be amazing!

Now, do Denver and maybe even at minimum, Newark or La Guardia.

Direct flight to ATL would be nice too. Would love to visit my aunt down there without taking connecting flights.
My gut feel is if ATL happens it is going to be as a soft replacement for a ORD direct with a connection happening in ATL for ORD travelers. It is similar to how Chicago was important as Winnipeg isn't a big enough city to support a direct to NYC but moving passengers to Chicago gave them good options for connection onward to NYC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan