HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I can confirm the back of Musso & Franks was the entrance to a bar called The Writers Room because supposedly Hemingway, F Scott Fitzgerald and others drank there. It went out of business in about 2015 and was replaced by a lesbian bar whose name now escapes me.

The Writer’s Room Aims for Quiet Style Amid Hollywood Bar Scene
By Charlie Amter, SPECIAL TO THE LOS ANGELES TIMES
OCT. 14, 2011

Link: HERE.

The article says it's in a space that "once belonged to Musso & Franks", so it's not technically in the back of it, per se.

This LAist article, HERE, says the GOLDEN BOX opened in The Writers Room space in November of 2014.

So far, I have not come across any place mentioning that this is a lesbian bar, but with a name like Golden Box...?

In an article about Musso & Franks 100th Anniversary there was this: Musso & Frank became a favorite haunt of novelists like Faulkner and Fitzgerald. “The Screen Writers Guild was right across the street,” said present-day proprietor Mark Echeverria. “After their scripts were hacked apart by studio executives, they’d go to the Guild and complain…then cross the street to Musso’s and get drunk.”

I was trying to figure out where the "Screen Writers Guild", precursor to the Writers Guild of America, was actually located. So far, this is what I've found.

1.) The Screen Writers’ Guild was formed in the summer of 1920.

2.) By February 1921, the group rented a temporary office in the Markham Building at 6372 Hollywood Boulevard.

3.) When the SWG was formed in 1920, writers made it clear that they not only wanted to improve their professional prospects but also wanted a place of their own to socialize and network. In addition to being the first elected Vice President of the SWG, Mary O’Connor was an organizer of the social arm of the Guild called The Writers’ Club. She was the majority shareholder in a company called The Las Palmas and Sunset Corporation, the company under which the SWG transacted business. One of the first activities of this company was the purchase of a mansion at 6716 Sunset Boulevard, which was then converted into a clubhouse. (By 1923, the address of the building became 6700 Sunset Blvd.)

4.) 1928 photo of the clubhouse

Security Pacific National Bank Collection/LAPL

5.) This clubhouse would serve as a gathering place and SWG headquarters until 1933, when the newly revitalized union moved to 1655 N. Cherokee. (Near Melrose Ave.)

https://www.wgfoundation.org/screenwritersguild-history

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 9:57 PM

E_R, I believe once or twice you said that underground tunnels was something that fascinated you, and I know we've come across those on NLA before. I saw this:

Underground Tunnels of Los Angeles – Los Angeles, California - Atlas Obscura
Discover Underground Tunnels of Los Angeles in Los Angeles, California: During prohibition, corrupt city officials ran drinking dens under the streets of Downtown Los Angeles.

I haven't looked at this further, but I thought I'd post the link here in case I don't get back to it or whatever.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...ls-los-angeles

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
As you can see there is a very large red arrow. So where, exactly, was the ghost sign found? There wouldn't an arrow if it was at the exact location.
Is it across the street?. . .is it down the block?)
Must you goad me into doing on-site investigations? Grumble grumble...very well then!

It's on the southwest corner of the nearly block-long building, facing 52nd Street. So the arrow on the left side of the sign isn't pointing at anything other than the right side of the sign.

This must be why they went out of business: arbitrary arrows in their signage.

Last edited by Handsome Stranger; Apr 12, 2021 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:17 AM

Very Cool! Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

re: Globe Department Store

This 1938 aerial shows contiguous buildings between 51st and 52nd Streets.

mil.library.ucsb.edu
I stand corrected Hoss.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:29 AM

mystery locations

A set of four slides from the Los Angeles Planning Department.

eBay

Here's this again so you don't have to scroll back up.

Link

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 1:16 PM

Quote:

mystery locations
I'll take three of them.

The first is looking roughly south from around 2nd and Broadway. The LA Times building is in the lower left corner and the Bradbury is above the building with the Victor advert.

Quote:

The bridge is where Sunset Boulevard crosses Silver Lake Boulevard. We're looking roughly north. We covered the bridge in a few posts back on page 1519.

Quote:

This one's looking roughly northeast from around Olympic and Flower.

Quote:

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 5:23 PM

I grew up at 58th and South Broadway - ‘50s to mid’60s - and walked past the Globe building on the way to school, doing errands or visiting friends. I recall a store past its prime, dark inside with second rate goods displayed, mostly clothing and furniture. Sad and shabby. There was no art deco/moderne facade.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 5:53 PM

The last one took me a little longer. The street with the green median is Glendale Boulevard, and the major intersection is with N Alvarado Street. The bridge in the top-left is where Sunset crosses Glendale - we covered that in post #20936. We're looking roughly southwest.

Quote:

mystery locations

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:

Redwine Bldg. Los Angeles - 1975 - mystery location.

eBay

Any ideas where this might be?

The rear entrance to Musso & Franks in March 1975.

That's probably the chef's car. He's ready for a quick take off.

Does anyone know what the back of Musso & Frank's looks like today? (I hope they at least straightened that sign)

ER, being a car nut i always look out for 66 Buick's. This is my first time seeing one on this forum and on top of that in livin color! The above is a 66 LeSabre which shared body styles with Wildcat and Electra 225. Below is my Wildcat, ill try and see if i can recreate the picture next week.

[IMG][/IMG]

photo by me

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakhal Nakhash View Post
It's on Las Palmas between Hollywood and Selma. I've walked past it hundreds of times. Buster Keaton filmed a scene in front of the church at the intersection of Selma and Las Palmas. (Not the same building, the original church burned down as I recall, and it was rebuilt).
The back of Musso and Frank's was a private club called The Writer's room, or something like that. I seem to remember that it had something to do with Johnny Depp. Again, I'm going purely from memory, so I could be mistaken.
The back of the building had some painted caricatures and graffiti. From what I've seen on Google Maps they've built an apartment building in the parking lot behind there in the years since I was there.
Here's an idea of where I think the Writer's Room nightclub was. I understand that Musso and Frank tried to rent back the space in recent years but couldn't make a deal.

Source: http://www.hhwnc.org/wp-content/uplo...-Documents.pdf

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:13 PM

We have seen Aldo's a few times on NLA but this slide is new to the thread.

eBay

I see the dude on the right has been shopping at The House of Plaid.

Aldos was located between the Warners Theater and a Coffee Dan's on the north side of Hollywood Blvd. ...HossC has a good photograph Here

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:22 PM

I believe this slide was also taken on Hollywood Blvd (I'm pretty sure I see stars on the sidewalk). . .but the exact corner is a mystery. (to me, anyway)

Does anyone remember George's Famous Doubleburgers?

eBay

Blue Period

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:25 PM

Street sign says Las Palmas Ave. -- and Hollywood Blvd.

Whether it's still in business or not the GSV currently shows the signs on it to be a chicken place called "Hot Motha Clucker."
The current GSV images on Hollywood Blvd. are a ghost town.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Apr 13, 2021 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:28 PM

Say it ain't so...

Reuters

News spread quickly last night about the fate of the Cinerama Dome, Arclight Cinemas, and Pacific Theatres. Decurion, the company that operates the theaters, says it will not reopen, even as LA County continues to relax coronavirus restrictions surrounding movie theaters this week. The closure is a massive blow to anyone itching to go back to watch movies in theaters, especially at the historic Cinerama Dome. Decurion’s announcement was quite a surprise.

“This was not the outcome anyone wanted, but despite a huge effort that exhausted all potential options, the company does not have a viable way forward,” the statement added.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:12 PM

Hopefully, Netflix will buy it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
mystery locations

A set of four slides from the Los Angeles Planning Department.

Glendale and Alvarado in the bottom center, the overpass at the top left is Sunset crossing Glendale.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
We have seen Aldo's a few times on NLA but this slide is new to the thread.

eBay

I see the dude on the right has been shopping at The House of Plaid.

Aldos was located between the Warners Theater and a Coffee Dan's on the north side of Hollywood Blvd. ...HossC has a good photograph Here

Nice photo of Aldo's and the Boulevard. Aldo's served dishware with branding iron designs. It was a good old coffee shop, favorite of the D.J.'s from KFWB, "Color Radio." There were two Coffee Dan's on the Boulevard and one on Vine Street. I had forgotten that the Iris Theatre had already changed to the Fox by that time. I remember going to see "Psycho" there in 1960. Very popular film from the start. I went to a matinee and there was a line to get in. Notice the See's Candy on the S.E. corner, too.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:02 AM

Quote:

I believe this slide was also taken on Hollywood Blvd (I'm pretty sure I see stars on the sidewalk). . .but the exact corner is a mystery. (to me, anyway)

Does anyone remember George's Famous Doubleburgers?

eBay

Blue Period

It's the NE corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Las Palmas Ave., e-r.

George's has been replaced by the Rusty Mullet at 6689 Hollywood Blvd. I need to revive my photo hosting arrangements, so apologies for not providing a screenshot.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

It's the NE corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Las Palmas Ave., e-r.

George's has been replaced by the Rusty Mullet at 6689 Hollywood Blvd. I need to revive my photo hosting arrangements, so apologies for not providing a screenshot.

GSV

The removal of the old signage has exposed all the light transomes....A welcome improvement.

detail

It appears the Rusty Mullet is history - making way for the Hot Motha Clucker....

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 14, 2021 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:03 AM

A flickr.com poster came across a discarded photo album, 1890's-1920's, a fair number of the images are L.A./So. Cal.....it's a mix of postcards, professional photos and family snapshots.....https://www.flickr.com/photos/atomic...h/11748206814/

1890's

about 1899

about 1900

Wow, "broadsheet", they weren't kidding....

about 1906

Signage detail....

hospital, Santa Monica

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos