HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 12:33 PM

Many thanks, N_N and Flyingwedge!

Let us hope that the advocates of keeping at least the facade of the old building come to the fore again. It gives a human, warm touch, and would be appropriate for a cafe or other such component to the larger project.

Edit Add: For the record, just a final summing up for this suite of addresses (1352, 1354, 1356, 1358). From just after the current structure's being built (1925), into the early 1930s, the addresses hosted businesses of the nature of light industry. I'm seeing auto repair and supply, nickel plating, printing, tool company, art supply, metal goods. The outlier is that 1356 became first a dealer in Beer (ca. 1935), and then a restaurant site (1936, 37, 38 . . . and I didn't check further).

Last edited by odinthor; Jul 2, 2020 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I found a larger version of the picture which shows more text at the bottom. I think it names the ladies and the traffic cop, but even after mirroring it and adjusting the contrast, I'm still having trouble reading it. My best guess is "Linda Wah???, ????? Anderson & motorcycle officer Leo Edwards". Then again, there's a period after the officer's first name, so it might be "Geo. Edwards".

studebakerdriversclub.com
OMG! I know exactly where this is! This is the intersection of 9th Street and Wilton, on the westernmost edge of Koreatown. The shot is looking across Wilton. The building sits on the SE corner of the intersection. The building is still there but is surrounded by stone framed wrought iron black fence. You can still see the the first floor windows when passing by but not the yard. It was recently undergoing renovations (Thank God!), until Covid hit and slowed down it's progress. The little house next door to the right is gone and was replaced with one of those 60's styled 2 story apartment buildings that runs depth wise on the property. I live one block east of this corner.

Last edited by OJC1927; Jul 3, 2020 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:27 AM

^^^

Thanks OJC1927! And welcome!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:45 AM

The apartment building is on the SE corner of 9th Street and Wilton in the westernmost edge of the Koreatown area, just above Olympic Bl. to the south and Wilshire to the north. It's still standing but currently undergoing renovations.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:46 AM

Thanks for adding me! LOVE THIS SITE!!!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:46 AM

If anyone is interested this is an online event I just learned about:

Atlas Obscura: A Peek Inside Legendary Hollywood Estates
by Atlas Obscura

Join author and architectural historian David Silverman for a fascinating peek inside some of the most legendary homes in Los Angeles.

The event is online, July 6th, and it costs $7 to participate.
More info about it and to sign up:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/atlas-o...eid=1892dea337

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:52 AM

As strange and bizarre as this may sound, I'm 95% sure that the woman holding the baby in this photo is my grandmother and the baby is my mother. I sent you a private message Lorendoc with the details. I hope you see it and get back to me. =)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 2:04 AM

As strange and bizarre as this may sound, I'm 95% sure that the woman in line at the bank holding the baby in this photo is my grandmother and the baby is my mother. I sent a private message to Lorendoc with the details. I hope they see it and get back to me. =)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJC1927 View Post
OMG! I know exactly where this is! This is the intersection of 9th Street and Wilton, on the westernmost edge of Koreatown. The shot is looking across Wilton. The building sits on the SE corner of the intersection. The building is still there but is surrounded by stone framed wrought iron black fence. You can still see the the first floor windows when passing by but not the yard. It was recently undergoing renovations (Thank God!), until Covid hit and slowed down it's progress. The little house next door to the right is gone and was replaced with one of those 60's styled 2 story apartment buildings that runs depth wise on the property. I live one block east of this corner.
You overlooked the main event.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:14 AM

Close, But No Cigar Periscope.

Christine Larson Love Nest, 1624 N. Beverly Glen [now demolished]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire

GSV
Good sleuthing GW. I appreciate your help, buddy.

It makes me sad to see these simple houses (love nests?) destroyed. I can just imagine what the new owners of the land plan to build there.
No doubt something four or five times larger. ...*shakes head in dismay*

eBay

I'm surprised that Ms. Larson was given 4th billing on the movie poster for, The Well [1951]

imdb

On imdb she is listed sixteenth in official credit order. (I believe she played a waitress)....Someone pulled some serious strings to get her name on the poster.

Welcome to the thread, OJC1927.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 3, 2020 at 6:03 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Close, But No Cigar Periscope.

Christine Larson Love Nest, 1624 N. Beverly Glen [now demolished]

Good sleuthing GW. I appreciate your help, buddy.

It makes me sad to see these simple houses (love nests?) destroyed. I can just imagine what the new owners of the land plan to build there.
No doubt something four or five times larger. ...*shakes head in dismay*

eBay

I'm surprised that Ms. Larson was given 4th billing on the movie poster for, The Well [1951]

imdb

On imdb she is listed sixteenth in official credit order. (I believe she played a waitress)....Someone pulled some serious strings to get her name on the poster.

Welcome to the thread, OJC1927.
^^^
"The Well" was loosely based on the late 1940s Kathy Fiscus tragedy. Fiscus was a little girl who fell into an abandoned well in Sierra Madre (or was it San Marino?) and died. It was one of the first stories covered at the scene remotely by TV news. It made KTLA and a few other stations and TV set sales surged. LA oldtimers still talk about the Fiscus tragedy today. In the 1980s there was a baby in a well case in Texas that garnered lots of coverage, but fortunately she was saved.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 3, 2020 at 6:38 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 5:25 AM

Quote:
As strange and bizarre as this may sound, I'm 95% sure that the woman in line at the bank holding the baby in this photo is my grandmother and the baby is my mother. I sent a private message to Lorendoc with the details. I hope they see it and get back to me. =)
Hello OJC1927, I have sent you a private message in response.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Hey thanks CaliNative..........
Rabbit tastes kinda bland.....people use all kinds of spices to flavor it.

Venison has a pungent wild taste, its dark red in color....no fat. Horse meat is kinda sweet, also no fat. Horse is often called Cheval. Horse meat for humans is not legal in all states. Bison is like beef...very nice muscle meat....lean. Goat I think is quite tasty. Its great in Mexican food.

Always interesting to discuss unusual food.
My uncle had us over for a "pulled pork" sandwich as a kid. the meat was bear and venison he'd hunted himself. It was good, but the bear was a tad tough

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Hey thanks CaliNative..........
Rabbit tastes kinda bland.....people use all kinds of spices to flavor it.

Venison has a pungent wild taste, its dark red in color....no fat. Horse meat is kinda sweet, also no fat. Horse is often called Cheval. Horse meat for humans is not legal in all states. Bison is like beef...very nice muscle meat....lean. Goat I think is quite tasty. Its great in Mexican food.

Always interesting to discuss unusual food.
The Latinos rave about goat meat, cabrito. I do want to try it. Deer sounds kind of gamy, maybe a freshness issue when hunters carry it home unrefrigerated? Horse meat...is the sweetness an issue? My mind would think of dog food. Bison sounds good and healthier than beef. I'll try it. I doubt I'll ever eat insects unless food supplies dry up. Of course they say most processed food has some insects in it. Rabbit I may try. In rainy years we have wild rabbits grazing on our lawn but I'll stick to store bought. Beef tripe I will never eat, or anything made from intestines. I would starve first. I used to eat beef liver but rarely do anymore. My mom sometimes served it and it wasn't terrible with catsup and broiled onions on it but I haven't had it since maybe 1975. Liver used to be common to find in stores but not as much today. One of those foods that fell out of popularity. When I was a kid I remember most stores had calf brains in the meat dept., but you rarely see calf brains in the meat aisles anymore. Probably grossed out people. Never ate calf brains and I never will. Stores used to sell calf kidneys when I was a tadpole in the 1960s, but kidneys are rare. Archaic foods.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 3, 2020 at 6:43 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 6:01 AM

RE: The Stacked Gondolas..... Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by corriganville View Post
The gondola boats are sitting on the MGM backlot #3. Just to the south of that backlot is a hill with the Inglewood Oil Field which still has oil wells on it.
West Los Angeles College is directly south of where the backlot used to be. This backlot #3 had a Tarzan jungle and at least 2 separate western streets, among many other sets.
I appreciate your help, corriganville.

And thanks for your tremendous follow-up post Martin Pal.

Here's a large layout of MGM Backlot #3 from Judyonthebacklot

Judyonthebacklot

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:25 PM

Here'a fun image.

old file / eBay

Myers Mfg. Co.

"Swim Easy" Revue

Industrial Exposition

Los Angeles, 1922

I found this newspaper clipping of Myrna Loy modeling a "Swim Easy" bathing suit. (but I don't believe Myrna Loy is one of the lovely ladies shown in the group photo)

old file [no date]

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 3, 2020 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:29 PM

A "Swim-Easy" mystery location.

I believe the "Myers Mfg. Co. might be out of San Francisco but the photograph below was taken by a Los Angeles based photographer (Chateau Art Studio)
so I'd say the setting is possibly Los Angeles.

Does the surrounding area look familiar to anyone?

The stitching on the swimsuit is beautiful. I believe she's holding her bathing cap. She forgot to wash her feet.

I wonder if the model is a silent film actress. . .ala Myrna Loy....(I have an idea who she might be but I need to do some research first)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 3, 2020 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
It's definitely the corner. The Studebaker and Cadillac have been replaced by a Prius. Progress? The ladies and policeman have also moved on. The lady on the right looks a lot like a much taller version of my dear departed mother. It looks like they were probably born around the same time.

For comparison:

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 10:18 PM

There's also a stoplight replacing the policeman in the now photo and also a man behind the fence doing...something.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Here'a fun image.

old file / eBay

Myers Mfg. Co.

"Swim Easy" Revue

Industrial Exposition

Los Angeles, 1922

I found this newspaper clipping of Myrna Loy modeling a "Swim Easy" bathing suit. (but I don't believe Myrna Loy is one of the lovely ladies shown in the group photo)

old file [no date]

"Thoroughly Modern" Myrna was a looker. No wonder she became a star. Liked her naturalistic acting style too. Always liked the slim/healthy/athletic ladies with brains & she was that. Mae West was not my type, although her flims are funny. Did Myrna surf too or is she just posing with a long board? The modern era started in the '20s. Plant a 1920s person in today's world and they would feel at home in a few weeks & vis versa. Heck, a few people were probably still wearing masks as 1919 flowed into 1920 as the "Spanish" flu pandemic wound down. They did a better job with masks & social distancing than we are doing now with a few exceptions, like the unmasking party San Francisco had in 1918/19 followed by a surge.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jul 3, 2020 at 11:39 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos