HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
'mystery'

detail

Obviously that's a drive-in at far right but I can't read the stylized lettering.

-

Roberts Bros was at the nwc or Sunset & Ivar per the 1942CD... there is probably a picture of it somewhere

Looks like the tire place was Muller Bros, on the site of the Cinerama Dome...

LAPL

The building in the background of your image still stands at the nwc of Sunset & Cahuenga:

LOC

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyJK View Post
Hi Earl, I'm pretty sure my dad (USAF 1952-1972) did some of his training at Randolph in the mid-50's and early 60's. He was a navigator/bombardier on B-29's, B-52's and in SAC. Perhaps you crossed paths?
Possible, but unlikely. It was a big and busy place back then, and I spent all my time in the computer room :-)

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
E_R
'mystery'

detail
Obviously that's a drive-in at far right but I can't read the stylized lettering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Roberts Bros was at the nwc of Sunset & Ivar per the 1942CD... there is probably a picture of it somewhere

While there's lots of photos of Robert's Drive-Ins, I can't seem to locate the one here on Sunset between Cahuenga and Ivar.

Martin Turnbull had posted this page from a menu that has a drawing of some Robert's locations, including the one in question:

_______

NoirCityDame posted a history of the corner:

Roberts leased this property in 1939, demolishing an existing building that had been something called the Hollywood Mercantile in the 1890's; since 1917 it had housed the Frank Meline-owned Hollywood Laundry. When Roberts came along, HL moved to the north, taking its roof-sign with it. Between 1952 and Nov. 1956 became “Scrivner’s.” And some time in or around 1958 it became a gas station. Jack in the Box now occupies this property. Its Sunset address is 6407.
• 1890's Hollywood Mercantile
• 1917 Hollywood Laundry (owned by Frank Meline) buys this lot.
• 1939 Roberts Bros. lease the corner; builds its drive-in. Hollywood Laundry moves to the north
• 1952 The drive-in becomes Scrivner’s
• 1960 Drive-in is demolished for a service station (per building records)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=42366
_______

The "Dear Old Hollywood" Blogger was researching filming locations and wrote this:

"I found a great photo of the Hollywood location of Robert's Drive-In, in a book: Car Hops and Curb Service: A History of American Drive-In Restaurants 1920-1960." [By Jim Heimann.]

She did not post the photo of it, though.

http://dearoldhollywood.blogspot.com/20103
_______

Here's a photo of Scrivner's dated 1958:

Hollywood Photographs

Notice the "Hollywood Laundry" sign on the left, noted by Noir City Dame's listing above.
Below that, notice where it says "Top Deck." In the notation on the above menu listing for Robert's it says: "And for cocktails, there's the Nautical Top-Deck, where the clan gathers daily."
_______

From this post:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10579

...there is a photo of the service station that Noir City Dame noted as occupying the location in 1960.

LAPL
_______

Quote:

LAPL
GW, recently I'd asked BDiH if he remembered what was on the site before the Cinerama Dome was being built and he couldn't remember. Do you think this gas station was there until the Cinerama Dome was built?

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:32 PM

GW SOLVES MYSTERY LOCATION: NEWS AT 11:00
Quote:

LAPL
Thanks for the follow-ups GW & Martin Pal.

Here's a recap on the "tire tower" service station.

"The Muller Brothers Service Station was located on the south side of Sunset Boulevard on 4 acres, where the Cinerama Dome Theatre is now located.
Opened in 1920 by the Muller brothers, Walter and Frank, this became the largest service station in the world (including a large automobile supply center),
employing 120 people by 1937. Celebrities, from Rudolph Valentino to Clark Gable, came by regularly to get gas or just work on their cars.
In 1963 the site was sold for the Cinerama Dome Theater."

water & power

"A customer gets full service at the gas pumps at Muller Bros. Service Station at 6380 Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood." [c.1928]

*note the mystery cafeteria across the street.

water & power

"View of what a 1937 Cadillac LaSalle Opera Coupe being attended to in "full service" at the Muller Brothers Service Station at 6380 Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood."

Hofbrau Garden?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 11, 2018 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:41 PM

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 10:20 PM

renamed The Landing in 1951

Believe it or not, this is Mueller Bros. as well.

Did it really have a CONTROL TOWER?

johnstraub

In 1951 the Muller Bros., an Oldsmobile-Firestone Tire-Car Wash-Cafe-Body Shop-Home Appliance-Auto Supply Dealer located at Sunset and Ivar in L.A., named their complex
"The Landing." With good reason, they had everything you could want on one lot. It was giant compared to most new and used car dealers of the time, even had a control tower.
They came up with the idea to hold a beauty contest to celebrate the 3,000,000th car to be pulled through its car wash."

Arrival

Miss Infra-Red Paint Job.....what the heck is a Infra-Red paint job?

Circling the wagons.

johnstraub

Miss Polished Knob

You can see all of the photographs HERE

I BELIEVE SOME OF THE PICS ARE NLA REPEATS.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 11, 2018 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 10:59 PM

1970S AERIAL CENTURY CITY CALIFORNIA

EBAY

The Century Plaza Hotel is hiding...but it's there.

__

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 11:02 PM

1970S AERIAL BIXBY SLOUGH AREA

EBAY

Does anyone know what this street is?

detail

and here's the intersection at lower left.

detail

Looks like more gas stations.

___

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know what this street is?

detail
The picture is looking west and the street across the center is S Vermont Avenue, with PCH just showing at the left. I'm not sure if the white building survives, but it might be the New Life Foursquare Church at 25420 S Vermont Avenue, Harbor City. The area in front S Vermont has now been filled with housing, and the houses behind have been replaced.

Google Maps

Last edited by HossC; May 12, 2018 at 9:45 AM. Reason: Added image.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:

EBAY

[...]

___
A hasty search makes me think I haven't previously posted this pic I took at Bixby Slough around 1983 when poking through the underbush. Is it noirish enough for NLA, e_r?

odinthor collection, ladies' clothing division

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
While there's lots of photos of Robert's Drive-Ins, I can't seem to locate the one here on Sunset between Cahuenga and Ivar.

Martin Turnbull had posted this page from a menu that has a drawing of some Robert's locations, including the one in question:

_______
There is a photo of the Robert's in question in the rotator on this site.

http://forum.theblackdahliainhollywood.com/index.php

Keep clicking until it shows up. Sorry, I do not know how to upload photos here.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Believe it or not, this is Mueller Bros. as well.

Did it really have a CONTROL TOWER?

johnstraub

In 1951 the Muller Bros., an Oldsmobile-Firestone Tire-Car Wash-Cafe-Body Shop-Home Appliance-Auto Supply Dealer located at Sunset and Ivar in L.A., named their complex
"The Landing." With good reason, they had everything you could want on one lot. It was giant compared to most new and used car dealers of the time, even had a control tower.
They came up with the idea to hold a beauty contest to celebrate the 3,000,000th car to be pulled through its car wash."

Your post reminded me of these pics I came across a while back......there's something about cars and gals that proves timelessly irresistible to marketers.

"you ladies are in a lot of trouble......"

Anyone have any info on those roadsters? They're amazing.

I'll wait to post the location in case anybody wants to demonstrate their skill!

(my apologies for not remembering where I found these)

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post

There is a photo of the Robert's in question in the rotator on this site.

http://forum.theblackdahliainhollywood.com/index.php

Keep clicking until it shows up. Sorry, I do not know how to upload photos here.
It took me a while to find it (the image rotation appears to be random), but here's the photo of the Roberts Brothers drive-in on Sunset. NB. I've enlarged the original.

forum.theblackdahliainhollywood.com

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post

Anyone have any info on those roadsters? They're amazing.

I'll wait to post the location in case anybody wants to demonstrate their skill!
I found this info about the cars (and location) accompanying the same photos on theoldmotor.com:
Guy Bryan first opened a tire store in a warehouse at 722 Aliso Street in Monterey Park, California in 1933. A year later he started this “Tire Bargain Center” at West Pico Boulevard and South Figueroa Street in Los Angeles. Bryan apparently knew the secrets of success for promoting a new business that included: lots of good signage, racing cars, models, and good photos for his advertisements.

Bryan either sponsored or rented a pair of midget racing cars powered by Elto outboard engines for the opening. The cars most likely ran at the new Gilmore Stadium track in Los Angeles that also opened in 1934. The little cars, laden with chrome plating including the frames, can be seen in the store front photo, strategically placed to catch motorist’s eyes on both sides of the street corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post

(my apologies for not remembering where I found these)
I don't know where you found the images, but the original Dick Whittington Studio photos can be found in the USC Digital Library.

Is it just me, or do these girls looked "tired"?

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Quote:
It took me a while to find it (the image rotation appears to be random), but here's the photo of the Roberts Brothers drive-in on Sunset. NB. I've enlarged the original.

forum.theblackdahliainhollywood.com

Thanks for finding this Robert's Drive-In photo HossC and BDiH!
(By the way, it doesn't really match the image of the menu drawing, IMO, but it is definitely the right location.)

Quote:
NoirCityDame posted a history of the corner:

Roberts leased this property in 1939, demolishing an existing building that had been something called the Hollywood Mercantile in the 1890's; since 1917 it had housed the Frank Meline-owned Hollywood Laundry. When Roberts came along, HL moved to the north, taking its roof-sign with it. Between 1952 and Nov. 1956 became “Scrivner’s.” And some time in or around 1958 it became a gas station. Jack in the Box now occupies this property. Its Sunset address is 6407.
• 1890's Hollywood Mercantile
• 1939 Roberts Bros. lease the corner; builds its drive-in. Hollywood Laundry moves to the north
• 1952 The drive-in becomes Scrivner’s
• 1960 Drive-in is demolished for a service station (per building records)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=42366
_______

The "Dear Old Hollywood" Blogger was researching filming locations and wrote this:

"I found a great photo of the Hollywood location of Robert's Drive-In, in a book: Car Hops and Curb Service: A History of American Drive-In Restaurants 1920-1960." [By Jim Heimann.]

She did not post the photo of it, though.

http://dearoldhollywood.blogspot.com/20103

When I posted the above, I was going to include this photo from the Dear Old Hollywood link. It is Judy Garland working at Robert's Drive-In, in A Star is Born which started filming in the summer of 1953. Location filming had been noted as taking place at Sunset and Cahuenga. I didn't post it then because it was noted by NoirCityDame that it became Srivner's in 1952. But I re-read the paragraph above it which said "Between 1952 and Nov. 1956 became “Scrivner’s.” So it's likely that this was filmed in that location.

Dear Old Hollywood

_______

SIDEBAR: Just yesterday I found out they have remade A Star is Born again! It is coming out October 8 and is directed by and stars Bradley Cooper alongside Lady Gaga as a country singer. (Some of it was filmed in Coachella.) Talk of a remake has been going on for a decade. Beyonce was most often attached to the project and last I heard it was to be with Russell Crowe. OPINION: My personal idea that if there's to be a remake of any film there should be at least ONE good reason. I cannot think of a good
reason this is being remade again. Why not explore the idea a bit differently...reverse the rising star, falling idol format, and have the man rise and woman fall? Why not a two men or two women relationship? This will be the third time that it's the "music" that's at the career center. Why not change the career out of the entertainment industry. How about the fashion world? Why not politics?
_______

Now back to the Robert's Drive-In location. It's been noted that currently a Jack in the Box restaurant is on this site. In 2015, an article on Curbed Los Angeles headlined: "19-Story Hotel Planned for Hollywood Jack in the Box Site." There's little else to be found out about this online, but the Curbed article does say, "No timeline has been announced, but until 2019 Jack in the Box has a lease on the property."
_______

The above two items are of interest because I found these photos taken across the street from the Robert's location and you can clearly see Hollywood Laundry at that address.

First, I happened to notice this photo that was captioned: Outdoor bowling in Los Angeles in 1929.

Then in the second photo I noticed the Muller Bros. sign in the background, which would make this bowling location between Ivar and Cahuenga.

(The two photos were found on the Ellen Bloom blog, by way of LAPL.)

So, I went to LAPL and found these three additional photos which show the Hollywood Laundry Service Co. which NoirCityDame noted.

The first is looking north and you can also see the Knickerbocker Hotel and Hollywood Plaza along the skyline.

LAPL

The next two pictures are basically the same. The second one is clearer, but the first has more of the building across the street.

LAPL

LAPL

The name of the bowling place, unless it's part of another business around there, wasn't mentioned.

I'm looking at the photograph with the bowling pins front and center and the Muller sign in the distance and
wondering if I might have my sense of direction in the other photos out of whack?

Last edited by Martin Pal; May 12, 2018 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 10:35 PM

Below, I've compared aerials from August 2, 1927 (left) and December 22, 1941 (right). So many familiar things are missing in the 1927 view, most notably NBC Studios and Carpenter's Drive-In at Sunset and Vine, Cahuenga Boulevard south of Sunset, and all of Ivar Avenue. On the 1941 view, I think that the shadow of the Muller Bros sign is next to the "S" of "Sunset". A couple of the bowling pictures appear to show the kink in Ivar, so I think that the bowling alley was between Ivar Avenue and Morningside Court.

mil.library.ucsb.edu/mil.library.ucsb.edu

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 11:30 PM

curves
Quote:

I don't know where you found the images, but the original Dick Whittington Studio photos can be found in the USC Digital Library.

Thanks HossC! I think they could probably handle the curves......

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
LOL!

Dear Old Hollywood

_______
It seems that the eat in your car thing was a fad.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; May 17, 2018 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

Is this noirish enough for NLA, e_r?

odinthor collection, ladies' clothing division
I wonder if that poor lady ended up in the slough.

made me think of Night of the Hunter.

GIPHY

poor shelly

I tried to find something noirish relating to Bixby Slough
but only found this item directing me to the newspaper site I DON'T BELONG TO.

anyone a member that could look this up for me? (aren't you a member GW?) HINT

__

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:

Below, I've compared aerials from August 2, 1927 (left) and December 22, 1941 (right). So many familiar things are missing in the 1927 view, most notably NBC Studios and Carpenter's Drive-In at Sunset and Vine, Cahuenga Boulevard south of Sunset, and all of Ivar Avenue. On the 1941 view, I think that the shadow of the Muller Bros sign is next to the "S" of "Sunset". A couple of the bowling pictures appear to show the kink in Ivar, so I think that the bowling alley was between Ivar Avenue and Morningside Court.

mil.library.ucsb.edu/mil.library.ucsb.edu
That's pretty interesting, HossC, thanks! I wouldn't have thought those streets were missing or partly missing. Now I wonder what the impetus was, not only to build Ivar up to Hollywood Blvd., but to have it angle off to the east like that.

Cahuenga, south of what's on the 1941 aerial, also angles.

Last edited by Martin Pal; May 13, 2018 at 12:37 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos