HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Since we're doing steps this week, you just can't do better than the Music Box steps.
Of course this has been seen before but always fun to revisit.

google file
For anyone interested, the 'Music Box' is showing tonight on TCM at 10:15 eastern / 7:15 pacific.

Just for fun, here's a fan visiting the famous steps in SilverLake.

Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump!

http://www.catsafterme.com/blog/archives/3504

lol...here's another.

http://www.catsafterme.com/blog/archives/3504

and doing silly impersonations.

http://pasqualemurena.com/laurel-and...ic-box-stairs/

I initially posted this photograph.

"Yoo Hoo, Up Here Boys!"

http://www.hyundaiforkliftsocal.com/...ads/image5.jpg

Until I realized I had the wrong movie!

This is from the Three Stooges' "An Ache In Every Stake" (shouldn't it be "An Ache In Every Step"?)
....unless I'm mistaken these are a different set of steps, right?

(I haven't seen this movie yet)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 13, 2016 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 6:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I had a sister who thought her side of the backseat was sacrosanct, so if I wanted to lie down I had to climb up in the back window.

That is, until a family that went to our church had a car accident and their son flew from the back window to the hood of the car. (he survived, but with one less eye).

After that, if I wanted to lie down I had to assume the fetal position on my side of the backseat making sure NO part of me crossed the imaginary line
drawn by my big sister.

Yes, I'm still in therapy.
It goes back to Old Testament times and probably long before. Sibling rivalry must be genetic.
My sister is 68 and we still have moments of rivalry.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Best guess this is a still from The Vin Scully Show, 1973. I would normally say circa but in this case we know the show lasted but one season as the iconic sportscaster tried branching out. Thankfully for us it didn't work out.

I didn't know he had a talk show at one time! That photo might also have been from a game show he hosted in 1969-1970 that I remember watching when I was home for a couple weeks from school for Easter break. It was called IT TAKES TWO. Wikipedia says that NBC erased the show in their videotape purge back then, but that two episodes are known to exist with collectors. I don't know if this is one of those two, but there is one posted on youtube, in two parts.

Video Link
Video Link

This next week at Dodger Stadium, the last homestand this season, is all dedicated to Vin Scully, starting with a Vin Scully bobblehead night and ending up this year with--not FAN Appreciation Day, but Vin Scully Appreciation Day! For those of us who like baseball and who have listened to him for so many of his 67 years broadcasting the games, it's a very ________ time.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm still in therapy.
How's your sister?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 7:05 PM

She's fine M P, thanks for asking.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 13, 2016 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 7:26 PM

I wasn't sure where this was taken until I saw the tourist tram in the background.

http://prova275.tumblr.com/

I'm guessing this is one of the employee parking at Universal Studios.

movie props....or cars of poorly paid employees?

detail

I wonder if we could figure out where this employee parking lot was located if we looked at some vintage aerials?

yes I'm looking at you Hoss ]

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 13, 2016 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 9:21 PM

I took a gamble on these Julius Shulman pictures being from Los Angeles, because there's no information in the description. This is "Job 2307: Convent of the Good Shepherd, gymnasium and pool, 1956".

Here's a different angle.

This is the gymnasium from the title.

A look inside. One of the shots I omitted shows a game of basketball here.

There were two very similar pictures of the pool - one with people and one without. That's the gym on the right.

All from Getty Research Institute

Convent of the Good Shepherd isn't exactly a unique name, but the 1956 CD has a listing for one at 1500 Arlington Avenue. I've marked what I thought were the buildings from the Shulman pictures on the 1972 view on the left below. The 1980 view shows virtually an empty lot, and the current view (below, right) has two middle schools there.

Historic Aerials/Google Maps

I was only able to confirm the location when I got in the Googlemobile and found the gym still standing near the north of the block. The covered walkway has been shortened, but it's otherwise intact.

GSV

The pool has gone, but the houses in the background of the pool picture are still there.

GSV

There are various building permits for additions to the convent, but no demo permit. Does anyone know exactly when and why it was knocked down?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:

I wasn't sure where this was taken until I saw the tourist tram in the background.

hmmm...are these the cars of poorly paid employees?

detail

I wonder if we could figure out where this employee parking lot was located if we looked at some vintage aerials?

It's taken a while, but I think I've found the location on the 1972 image (the 1964 image isn't as clear). Initially I thought it might be near the European part of the backlot because there are a couple of Citroen H Vans in the background, but it's actually near the sound stages. I've arrowed the rough direction the camera was looking. I think that might be a tram just above the arrow. The area is now near the Jurassic Park section.

Historic Aerials

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 11:16 PM

I think you nailed it Hoss.

Everything seems to be in the right place.....and even one of the 3 car trams is visible! I love that.

Good job!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I took a gamble on these Julius Shulman pictures being from Los Angeles, because there's no information in the description. This is "Job 2307: Convent of the Good Shepherd, gymnasium and pool, 1956".

Convent of the Good Shepherd isn't exactly a unique name, but the 1956 CD has a listing for one at 1500 Arlington Avenue. I've marked what I thought were the buildings from the Shulman pictures on the 1972 view on the left below. The 1980 view shows virtually an empty lot, and the current view (below, right) has two middle schools there.

Historic Aerials/Google Maps

There are various building permits for additions to the convent, but no demo permit. Does anyone know exactly when and why it was knocked down?

Nice pics, Hoss. From what Tovangar2 wrote, it seems like the property was sold to the LA Unified School District around 1977.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 11:42 PM

Here's another photograph I found on the same site as the 1966 Universal parking lot photograph.

The only information available was

"Bank Parking...Los Angeles"

Jim & Chester's Garage blog at http://prova275.tumblr.com/

At first glance I thought it was the Lttyon Savings & Loan Bank up on Sunset Blvd (because of the 'accordion' zig-zag roofline)

but after comparing the two, this is definitely an entirely different bank.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 13, 2016 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 12:10 AM

That's a Julius Shulman photo of the Cathay Bank I posted in post #34116. Here's another picture from that post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

... the Cathay Bank at 777 N Broadway.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 2:45 AM

Quote:

movie props....or cars of poorly paid employees?

detail

This picture brings back memories.

In 1964, I was working in the mail room at Universal Pictures. This parking lot--as Hoss's aerial shows--was around the middle of the lot. The Universal Studio Tour with its red and white striped trams had started around a year before I got there, so I'd say it's a 63-64 photo.

All those doorways and buildings you see had meaning for me. There were about eight of us in the mailroom. We had to deliver incoming mail, pick up outgoing mail, and distribute company stuff--call sheets, cast lists, scripts, budgets, interoffice mail--four times a day.

We divided up the lot into routes, circuits of certain offices and outlying buildings. The Black Tower was a route in itself, but there were maybe five other routes covering the lot, the Casting department, the Production department, Props, Lights, Construction, Vehicles, on and on.

Out weapons of choice were either those three wheel mailman carts for close in work--the mailroom was in the basement of the Black Tower--but for the outlying routes to distant departments, we used old-fashioned heavy cruiser bikes with a big wire basket mounted to the handlebars.

If I remember right, that road in the picture the tram is descending came from some of the old permanent sets further up on the hill, including the Psycho house, always a crowd favorite. But there were departments up there as well. If memory serves, one was the Staff Department--staff is a movie term for phony walls of brick or stucco or marble for sets, made, I think, from plaster and straw. Sweating the noontime delivery up that hill to Staff with the two-ton bike heavy with scripts and call-sheets in mid-August in the Valley was not considered a plum job.

The one story grey building on the right holds a row of was what was categorized as a "bungalow", meaning a single inner-outer office suite with a bathroom. Contract producers and contract actors--stars--got those. Some were much more lavish than what you see, decked out as charming little stand-alone houses. As I remember, that most-right hand black door was where I delivered mail to Alfred Hitchcock Productions, although it might have been an identical black door a few feet out of the frame to the right. The two story grey building behind it, if I remember right, housed Pennebaker Productions, Marlon Brando's company. We mail boys saw Hitchcock often, enough to say hello to him and get a nod back.

We never saw Brando.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 2:56 AM

Quote:
'mystery' location

-just happened on to this 1920 photograph on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1920...AAAOSw-kdXxino

Does anyone know where Florencita Park was? It doesn't ring a bell.

_
ER - You can visualize the location of Florencita Park a little better on this Redfin map.

Redfin.com

I'd like to see what that house in the picture looks like today.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 3:42 AM

Quote:
This photograph is downright amazing!

eBay

On reverse: "First Elect. Car Line in L.A. 1886"

right side of the photo, with a residence at the end of the street.

detail

__
According to this Tuesday, January 4, 1887, Los Angeles Herald article, LA's first electric railway opened on January 2, 1887.
If your wonderful old photo shows opening day, e_r, this photo may have been taken at Pico and Main, where the tracks
appear to end, even though the sign on the car says "Maple Av":

CDNC (on the last page, column 2)

There is an ad on page 3 of the June 13, 1886, LA Herald regarding the coming of the electric railroad, whose western end
was at the Electric Railway Homestead Tract. The tract consisted of 280 acres between 9th and Pico, and west of Vermont.

This electric railway was not a success. You can read about that here, and also here, and even a little bit here.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Taken' the young'uns to Disneyland.

http://rogerwilkerson.tumblr.com/

The kids look tranquilized.........& Dad's driving straight through FantasyLand.

__

That was back when you could actually afford to take the young'uns to Disneyland.

This is an old ticket book I kept from the 1970's:

You're looking at over $100 a head these days.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
ER - You can visualize the location of Florencita Park a little better on this Redfin map.

Redfin.com

I'd like to see what that house in the picture looks like today.
Thanks for posting this FredH. It's much smaller than I expected, no wonder not that many people have heard of it.
__

Hey guess what, I just visited eBay and the seller has added a few more 'Florencita Park' photographs.

I'm pretty certain these are the same three women that were pretending to 'pray' in that earlier photo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1920...EAAOSwOdpXzKrK

I especially like this one, because we get to see inside the bungalow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1920...kAAOSw3xJXn9tA

Do you think that's her suitor?

note the pennant on the wall (I wonder which college).....and I believe that's a kewpie doll standing on the shelf behind the handsome young man.

This one appears to show an entirely different bungalow. (this might be an entirely different woman too)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1920...4AAOSwRoxXn9X7

Oh, and her name is Minnie.
__

This last photograph doesn't say 'Florencita Park' (& the annotation is written instead of typed) yet this bungalow looks similar to the earlier bungalow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1920...UAAOSwvzRXzKyZ

So is this one of the three ladies?

Artistically this is probably the best photograph of the bunch.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 14, 2016 at 5:08 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 5:04 AM

LAX in WW2

This is Los Angeles Municipal Airport, c. 1942-43. I'm pretty sure we're looking SW with Hangar No. 1 (still standing)
on the left and the original Control Tower cut off at the right edge (the small building in between is a cafe). Both of the
hangars appear to be painted in camouflage design, and there's a barrage balloon in the upper left corner. I believe the
plane in the foreground is a Douglas SBD Dauntless, probably built in nearby El Segundo (the crowd could be factory
workers), but I imagine someone here knows for sure.

487967 @ Huntington Digital Library, Ernest Marquez Collection

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 2:44 PM

Quote:

Following on from yesterday's picture of the Universal backlot, I realized I had pictures of a similar area in the Warner Bros' backlot. These circa 1980 images are from a Dukes of Hazzard episode called 'Southern Comfurts'. The tower and church in the background are on Midwest Street, which was used as Hazzard Square.

Warner Bros

Here's a closer look at some of the old cars and a couple of grass huts. I think there's even the corner of a crashed General Lee visible on the right.

Warner Bros

Before it was a parking/storage lot, this area was originally the location of the Mexican Street set. It has now become another office building. In the top-right corner you can still see the tower and church, as well as the back of a new façade which didn't exist in 1980. The new façade stands at the end of an area that used to be one of the old Western sets. It was the one where a lot of 'Blazing Saddles' was filmed. The surrounding backlot can be seen at the end of the movie when the camera rises and pulls back.

Google Maps

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Here's another photograph I found on the same site as the 1966 Universal parking lot photograph.

The only information available was

"Bank Parking...Los Angeles"

Jim & Chester's Garage blog at http://prova275.tumblr.com/

At first glance I thought it was the Lttyon Savings & Loan Bank up on Sunset Blvd (because of the 'accordion' zig-zag roofline)

but after comparing the two, this is definitely an entirely different bank.
__
The '64 Caddy takes center stage among the cars but that's a pretty sweet AMC Gremlin behind it.

Last edited by Bristolian; Sep 15, 2016 at 1:46 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos