HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 1:05 AM

PHILADELPHIA | Hyatt Centric | 179 FT | 13 FLOORS

Title: Hyatt Centric
Project: Hotel, Retail
Architect: DAS Architects
Developer: Chancellor Hotels Associates, Clemens Construction Co., Hudson Hotels
Neighborhood: Rittenhouse Square
District: Center City
Floors: 13 floors
Height: 179 FT

Quote:
A proposal to construct a new $125 million boutique hotel at 17th and Chancellor streets in Philadelphia cleared a hurdle when the Center City Residents Association decided not to oppose the project.

A vote on the mixed-use development was taken at the organization's meeting Tuesday night and helps clear the way for it to move forward. The group and the developer had worked out several issues including lighting and streetscaping.

The hotel would stand 12 stories and have 300 rooms. It will be constructed on a site where a four-story parking garage now stands. Little Pete's diner was a long-standing tenant on the retail portion of the parking structure.

Called the Hudson, the hotel would have a rooftop restaurant, underground parking and retail space.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...-nod-from.html
http://www.dasarchitects.com/hudson.html
http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...%20-%20CDR.pdf

Last edited by summersm343; Sep 22, 2016 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 2:40 PM
Mr. Technology

It's an interesting proposal, but I have one concern that go with all "outdoor" venues.
How to control the issue of "smoking" when you have to protect the rights of "non-smokers".

As a non-smoker, I feel very restricted with my dining options.

As a tower in an of itself, it's too short to be visible to the skyline and will be seen as a gap from greater distances.

On the street level, the retail element will be a welcome amenity that is pretty common with responsible developers.

From the illustration provided, the fascade leaves much to be desired.
It looks old and outdated as is.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 3:52 PM

As someone who has lived off 17th Street for over 5 years now, and in fear of sounding like a NIMBY, the taxi queues, pax loading/unloading, convention center bus pick up serving the half a dozen or so hotels along this stretch make the route almost unnavigable about 75% of the day.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
As someone who has lived off 17th Street for over 5 years now, and in fear of sounding like a NIMBY, the taxi queues, pax loading/unloading, convention center bus pick up serving the half a dozen or so hotels along this stretch make the route almost unnavigable about 75% of the day.
Exactly. I usually opt for 19th due to the hotels. First the Westin on the left and then the Sofitel on the right and then the Latham on the left and then the Warwick on the right. The Hudson will mess up the alternating pattern!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Exactly. I usually opt for 19th due to the hotels. First the Westin on the left and then the Sofitel on the right and then the Latham on the left and then the Warwick on the right. The Hudson will mess up the alternating pattern!
Hotel Palomar now across from the Sofitel already messed up the alternating pattern

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 1:15 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Replacing the ugly-as-shit parking garage, with Little Pete's on the bottom? That's more than a fair trade IMHO. Of course I don't live in that neighborhood, and traffic will be impacted, but at parking garage is utterly awful looking.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Hotel Palomar now across from the Sofitel already messed up the alternating pattern
I forgot about that! Despite driving and walking 17th Street often, I never really thought about the sheer number of hotels on that stretch until Londonee brought it up. It's pretty impressive.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I forgot about that! Despite driving and walking 17th Street often, I never really thought about the sheer number of hotels on that stretch until Londonee brought it up. It's pretty impressive.
Yeah, Club Quarters is at 17th and Chestnut and Boutique Rittenhouse 1715 are basically on that stretch as well.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Yeah, Club Quarters is at 17th and Chestnut and Boutique Rittenhouse 1715 are basically on that stretch as well.
Time to start calling this "Hotel Row."

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 6:19 PM

Ain't happening this year.

#SAVELITTLEPETES

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 8:28 PM

We're not preserving a shitty parking garage for a restaurant when said restaurant can easily find another location in Center City.

#demolishthatshitnow

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 8:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Replacing the ugly-as-shit parking garage, with Little Pete's on the bottom? That's more than a fair trade IMHO. Of course I don't live in that neighborhood, and traffic will be impacted, but at parking garage is utterly awful looking.
I agree. Although I never ate at Little Pete's, but it looks like a good place with great food. At least I think...

One thing I've noticed in Center City is that parking is really a hassle, and its expensive too. Although there's been times I go on the weekend and its free. Usually, I park right near Cherry Street. In terms of traffic, I never really noticed it being super bad in that area, and this being on a weekday. But it could just be luck I guess.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 10:34 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
It's an interesting proposal, but I have one concern that go with all "outdoor" venues.
How to control the issue of "smoking" when you have to protect the rights of "non-smokers".

As a non-smoker, I feel very restricted with my dining options.
What are you talking about? Smoking is banned pretty much everywhere except ones imagination in this city anymore. I know what I'm talking about - I smoke.

Outdoor venues are still covered under the ban so...what do you mean?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 1:09 AM

Public Hearing Scheduled for Hudson Hotel Zoning

Quote:
City Council’s Rules Committee will hold a public hearing on Wednesday, September 30, at 10:00 a.m., on Bill #140858, which would create a zoning change that would enable the construction of the proposed $125 million Hudson Hotel at 17th and Chancellor Streets.

The hotel will contain 300 rooms and 40 executive suites and is being designed by DAS Architects. The penthouse floor will house an exclusive dining venue with panoramic city views, and two stories of luxury retail shops are planned along with underground parking.

In February, the Center City Residents Association (CCRA) voted to not oppose the construction.
http://www.centercityphila.org/press...news090915.php

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 1:16 PM

Hudson Hotel looks to be moving forward:

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...vCpgS642Vhi.99

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 5:13 PM

Developers change hotel brand at Little Pete's near Rittenhouse Square

Quote:
The group behind a hotel proposal at the Little Pete's restaurant site has ceased efforts to brand the project as a Philadelphia sibling to New York's trendy Hudson Hotel and will develop the property as an upscale Hyatt instead.

Carol Horne Penn, project director for Chancellor Hotel Associates, said in written testimony to City Council members Wednesday that the project near Rittenhouse Square would be built under the banner of Hyatt's boutique Centric brand.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 5:48 PM

Nice, nice! As long as it is still moving forward. I will change the title of the thread to Hyatt Centric. This is a really great new brand and I'm glad Philly will be getting one. This could open opportunity down the road for a Hudson Hotel to still open elsewhere in the city if SLS does well and the two companies merge.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 5:49 PM

Looks like the name of the thread will have to be changed to "Hyatt Centric"

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Looks like the name of the thread will have to be changed to "Hyatt Centric"
Way ahead of you

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive